Mutants & Masterminds: Galactic League - Episode Two: Acting

Krul

fractalstarbyobsidian49.th.png

The Scheherazade moves into orbit around Shangra La, with it's crew, who possess a much better idea of the forces arrayed against them. Below, diplomatic talks continue regarding the joining forces of the various star systems. Without, the eye of the Emerald Empire is upon them, and they possess large number of forces hidden in the system itself, though the crew has found and identified them. Hidden on the planet are a number of agents and spies, who work for the Empire. They have at least one ally below, however, a former member of the Galactic League's Star Patrol. What other potential problems await our heroic crew?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once the Scheherazade entered orbit around Shangra-La, Sapphire stood up from her station, stretching languidly, cat-like and sensual. The unearthly Elan flashed a wide smile around the bridge, speculative and promising. Things are sure to be interesting with this crew, but it's always 'duty this' and 'duty that'. I hope I can get them to unwind and relax.

"Nami - Captain Daylan, if it's alright with you, I will head to my quarters to get comfortable, then begin my search of Shangra-La for the Empress' elusive little thorns. It should take nearly a full day of effort to scan the entire planet and promises to be extremely tedious and dull. Some of you will stop by and keep me company, I hope?" Sapphire's lips spread wider, stating emphatically that her company would be anything but tedious and dull.

She gave Namiah a graceful nod, then headed for the lift down to the crew quarters, hips swaying enticingly. Just before she reached the lift, she stopped, looking back over a bare shoulder. "Whoever goes down to speak with the various system delegates, if Amand and Manda Carnelian of the Ruby Heart Enclave are there, could you mention that their Twilight Lover looks forward to getting reacquainted with them once more?"

With an arched brow and a final unfathomable smile, Sapphire entered the lift. Back in her quarters - surprisingly spartan and softly lit by elaborately cut sapphires that hung in mid-air - Sapphire stripped out of her Galactic Patrol Uniform. She gave herself an admiring glance in the crystalline mirror that dominated one wall, then settled herself on her bed, which mostly consisted of plush, silken pillows.

She made her breathing deep and even, one hand nestled between her heavenly breasts, feeling the pulse of her heart. The other hand idly stroked the inside of a thigh as she cast out her awareness, listening to the pulse of an entire planet, searching for an arrhythmia of thought.

"Captain Namiah Daylan, I will be ascertaining the planetary defenses, lending my knowledge and abilities where needed to improve them, as well as confirming that none have been in any way sabotaged by the Emerald Empire agents. If I am needed, Sapphire is capable of locating me and I shall return."

In a small implosion of granular energy, T'aeg was gone, teleporting to the first location of orbital defenses that he could determine on his portable scanner.

Kat secures the ship in it's orbit and settles back into his chair after setting the sensors to alert him if anything looks like coming close to the ship. Relaxing a little into his chair Kat calls up the data they had gained on the military agent. Working from that he sends his sense out in a search for the agent.

Kaien looks to Namiah and nods. "I take it that you and I will be the official party on the ground then while the others make their own way then Captain?"

He smiles faintly. He wasn't the best suited, but he was an excellent choice for a bodyguard. He and Namiah could easily draw all attention their way, allowing the others the freedom to do what they needed to try to prevent things from going horribly wrong.

Namiah nodded to each of their crew as they announced their intentions and then left to do them. She sat back in her chair, considering Kaien's offer for a moment before giving him another nod. "Very well, Lt. Saotome," she said, "you can be my bodyguard. And a more than suitable distraction," she added with a faint smile. Whether that was a casual remark or a concealed acknowledgement of his appearance, it was hard to say.

Chance nervously looked around as the crew suddenly got into action. Everyone seemed to know exactly what he was supposed to do and had a specific role. Chance looked at the doors of the elevator which Sapphire just entered and then back to Captain Daylan her eyes asking an unspoken question. Should she leave her station or not?

What was she supposed to do? Her demonlike eyes stared at the console in front of her and suddenly all the buttons and controls stopped making any sense to her. What if she failed them when they needed her? She wasn’t good at this…

Suddenly the young woman stood up and walked over to Captain Daylan. „Sir… Ma’am – I… I think I should go with you. I kind of have a positive effect on… chances.“, she said trying to sound confident about her idea. „What I’m trying to say – if there’ll be trouble chances are good that it won’t affect us as bad as it actually would…“

Now that sounds as if something bad will happen… doh!

„I’m sorry… I don’t know how to explain this without making it sound like I’m the cause for it. Actually I can’t tell if that’s the case – I stopped asking that question a while ago.“, Chance chewed on her lips briefly trying to suppress her insecurities about what use she was for this mission or this crew.

• 3 weeks later...

T'aeg finds his work actually more important then he first thought, sense he discovers some level of sabotage amoung the orbital defenses, someone has set a series of bombs to go off in them in the next 24 hours.

Meanwhile Sapphire begins to scan the minds of those on the planet, and quickly is able to acertain the first of the agents. The second she is able to pinpoint a location, and the feel of his mind, but with the natural mind block, though he appears to have an immunity to having his mind read, he's not immune to some of her other capabilities. She's able to ascertain from the minds around him that he's part of the security team around the meeting, in fact, he's the head of security. The third she can't seem to find, it's as if there isn't a mind there to read for it... however, she's able to pick out from the first of the agents, that the second knows who the third is.

Meanwhile the Captain and those with her prepare to travel down to the planet and meet with Lady Tanya Malen, and see what they can do for the diplomatic situation.

Namiah had prepared her appearance carefully. First impressions were important, and she never forgot that. Her Galatic League dress uniform was immaculate, perfectly pressed and cleaned. She'd chosen to pull her hair into a sensible club on the back of her neck. Aside from the decorations on her uniform, she didn't wear any other jewelry.

She still wasn't sure about having Chance along, but any faux pas could be explained as her being a trainee. How else was she supposed to learn, other than by doing?

Kaien's presence was reassuring. Namiah could protect herself, but knew that she still ran the risk of hurting someone else if that happened. While she was a pacifist, she was all too aware that others enjoyed violence, and would enjoy practicing it on her. Kaien's presence was a comfort, and helped to make sure nothing got out of hand.

With a confident smile, she stepped onto the transporter, and once the others were on, she signaled for them to be sent down.

Like Namiah Kaien's own dress uniform bore his decorations, and he shrugged. His dress Uniform wasn't as comfortable as his standard one, and he knew that Namiah really didn't need him to defend her, he'd heard the stories and read the reports.

He stood to her right on the pad, though he didn't really need the ship for it, and smiled. He was a striking contrast to the Captain, his bearing far more strict and military, not quite able to truly relax in this situation.

Originally Posted By: Creepy voice in the sky
T'aeg finds his work actually more important then he first thought, since he discovers some level of sabotage amoung the orbital defenses, someone has set a series of bombs to go off in them in the next 24 hours.

T'aeg took his time examining the series of explosives, ascertaining their construction, design, and method of detonation before disarming them and transforming them into more suitable replacement and upgrade materials for the orbital defenses. Where the work could not be done immediately himself, he sent instructions to the planets engineering crew, detailing what could be done with the materials he had left for them.

As he worked, T'aeg wondered why the Captain had not ordered the most logical course of action...to destroy the invading fleet. They intended to disrupt the plans and would seem to hold no value towards the denizens of this system. It would be much simpler to transmute safety couplings on their star drives and watch the ships implode on themselves.

A sufficient display of bravado does seem to intimidate human derivatives into non-action. Or instill a more intense desire for violence. Humans...

The Captain, Chance and Kaien all teleport down to the planet, where Tanya and a few of her guards, from her people, are waiting for them. "Captain Daylan, it's good to meet you at last, we've been delaying the talks for your arrival, sense it's been tense lately. We've agreed that we need to form a united front, but the manner of doing so, non of the diplomats can agree too."

Meanwhile, with T'aeg, normally what he was doing would be impossible, since someone had managed to make the bombs part of the structure support. However, the powerful engineer could simply create the replacements even as he removed the bombs, though it was clearly going to require some precision work from him, if the defense network wasn't to be weakened.

Kat however, was finally able to put a face to the agent he was looking for, a young man who was working as a agent for the admiral directly. Of course, now it was a matter of finding out where he was.

Namiah wasn't surprised at this news, but she still felt a tug of disappointment. People should just work together, but they so often didn't. If they did work together, she'd have no job but she didn't think she'd mind that at all.

Formalities were first, so Namiah bowed her head to Tanya and replied, "And it's good to meet with you, too. To help you, I will need two things - information about the nature of the delays and a secure room in which to talk freely." The unspoken statement in there should let Tanya know that she needed somewhere safe from eavesdroppers and spies.

Kaien remained silent, scanning the area for threats. He wasn't particularly imposing, though even when he bowed his head in respect upon Tanya's arrival, he was still a good bit taller. IT was clear the younger senior guardian was waiting for something.

Niamah, Kaien and Chance were standing together, talking with Tanya, who was now responding to the Captain's questions. "This way, I've already anticipated the need of a private and secure location, the Star League has a Embassy on the planet, started during my time, before I had to retire, I requested that they prepare a secure place for us.

As to the nature of the delays, it appears to be three issues, economics, specifically open trade verses tarifs between member nations, military intigration, basically if we fully integrate, or remain seperate but allied, and the matter of goveranance, some want to make a council, with limited powers taken from each member nation, and others want something more integrated, while still others want something less.. in other words, it's a mess, and matters have more or less halted.

I called for us to hold a number of things in abayance until the Galatic League agents arrived, and everyone agreed. After all, only with the support of the League can we make it stick, and remain free from the Emerald Empire long enough to become strong enough to hold them off ourselves. You may want to make use of that political capital some, if you have to, Captain."

Meanwhile, as they began to walk though the street, toward a rather large aircar, Kaien would notice someone appeared to be following them. Sense the Captain was listening to Tanya, she might or might not notice it.. it could simply be innocent, but it also could be otherwise.

"We are being watched. We should pick up the pace, or I can simply handle them, though I admit there are a number of them."

His voice belies no hesitation, or concern, he just wants to know how he should proceed. "Some are just watching us, though some move with intent. I'm fairly certain I can handle this, but use of my abilties is best only if there's no other option."

Kat called up the information that Sapphire had extracted from the Admiral on the military mole. From that he was able to glean an image of the agent, a starting address and job. It was likely that they could have changed any or all of those but something would need to stay constant in order for them to remain in contact and it was enough to start with.

Checking the time and a map for the starting address' location Kat sent his vision down to the area. As he did with the enemy ships he started at the outside and worked his way in, looking for signs of habitation, security and any precautions/escape routes that the agent may have set up.

Tanya glanced over, then her gaze turned to Kaien a moment, and she smiled at him. "Thank you, one moment, I'll do a quick check with someone." She pressed a button on a band around her wrist, and began to speak to someone in a very low voice, then she turned back to them. "The matter will be taken care off.. "

• 2 weeks later...

A few moments later a number of cybernetically enhanced folks descended on the one's following you, and quickly they turned and departed, or were taken in.

"I called a friend of mine, a AI who runs a Cybernetic security force, they'll take care of anyone following us." Tanya said, even as the door to the air car opened, allowing everyone to climb in.

*Thank you Lt. Rose.* Layel cut the connection, and looked over the bridge. He sent another communication to the pilot, Lt. Hodarg.

*Lt. Hodarg, please teleport me down to the planet.* After he had arranged with Kataran for his departure, as he was sent down, he vanished from sight, becoming insubstantial, unseen, not audible to ears, a true and complete Wraith.

He had been greatly briefed in order to to keep up with the other crew members, and so knew where the meeting would be. But before then, as he began to fly out to the location of the meeting, he caught sight of the Captain and her group, getting into a hover-car.

With a smirk of appreciation for the ease of this task, he floated behind Kaien, and dropped his cover, materializing to full view and hearing. "Captain Daylan, Lt. Commander Saotome?"

Kaien spun around to face the man who'd called him, and relaxed slightly when he saw the emblem for the League. "I was unaware that we'd be joined by another guardian." He looked to Namiah. "Captain?"

He hadn't been in any of the briefings, and his guard was up. He wasn't looking for a fight, but he'd allow Namiah to make the decision here.

Layel chuckled. "Karong was just recalled to Command. I'm Lt. Layel Haete, his replacement. Lt. Rose also wishes me to report that's she's making progress on the identities and locations of the Empire's agents. The first has been found, and she's nearly done with the second."

Chance remained silent and observant throughout the conversation and was glad that Kaien was around to protect them. She tried to learn as much as she could taking mental notes of formalities and protocols. Yet she felt also somewhat misplaced or 'detached' from the situation as such. The young witch was still trying to find her place and purpose and was very much absorbed by her inner demons - literally spoken.

All of the sudden Layel materialized out of thin air making her yelp briefly and jump half a step back. Instantly she felt the Legion rattling it's chains and only her willpower and training in containing it spared her and the team an embarrassing escalation. She reached subconsciously out for the Captain, whom she remained nearby all the time to steady herself and lowered her head to keep her face hidden under her hood - she didn't want anyone to see her laboured face and devilish glowing eyes. It wouldn't make a good first impression to strangers.

"Thank you for the report, Lt. Haete," Capt. Daylan said, nodding and smiling. "You may return to the ship and bring us any other reports too sensitive to transmit via wireless media. Though for the sake of my blood pressure, be less sneaky on your approach next time, thank you." She gave him a dazzling smile. "Oh and welcome aboard. It's a pleasure to have you in my crew."

Layel smirked and saluted respectfully. "Thank you Captain, though I won't be going back. I'll be investigating the agents already detected for any additional useful information."

With that, his form started to turn translucent and though the others did not know it yet, intangible.

Kaien's eyes narrowed. "I don't beleive that was an option she gave you. Your orders are to return to the ship." His tone was flat, but those around who could sense the activation of special powers felt a buildup from the Xydarian senior Guardian.

Remaining in his intangible form, but not invisible. Layel scowled and replied tersely, "I've already agreed with Lt. Rose that I'd be assisting her in that-" Then the realization of what his words were about to lead to hit him, and his words cut off.

"Sorry, m'am. I'll return to the ship now." With that, and a salute, he disappeared, and flew back in Wraith form to the ship. At the speeds he possessed, it took little time to move into the space and then the ship.

As he appeared on top of the deck, he groaned. Well, he could see Sapphire then. He began to walk off to her room.

Chance looked a bit confused from the senior officer to the Captain not quite sure if she missed out on a detail. The young witch looked at Captain Daylan the question left unspoken but obviously leaving her insecure how to respond to it.

She bit her lower lip and sighed as she felt the tension ease. The Legion was subdued but more questions had surfaced. "I... I'll ask my questions later - if you don't mind, Captain."

Chance didn't want to get on bad terms with any of the other crew members - especially in her situation.

Capt. Daylan had remained silent throughout the exchange, but her warm, vibrant green eyes had gone cold as gems when Layal had defied her. She watched Kaien speak to him but gave no emotional indicator. After Layal had returned to the ship, she gave Tanya a professionally reassuring smile. "A moment, please, Tanya." When the former Guardian nodded, Namiah opened her communicator. "Lt. Rose, a... word in private, please." She then shut her communicator.

"If you would lead on, Tanya?" she asked, waiting for Sapphire's touch. Inside, she was angry. It didn't show on her face or posture - decades of training took care of those tell-tale signs. But Sapphire would feel it as soon as she touched her mind. Namiah tried to subdue it, but for all of her controlled exterior, she was a creature of passion - and anger was just another kind of passion.

Kaien relaxed slightly as he climbed int the vehicle with the others, laying a reassuring hand on Chance's shoulder. "Not all of our number perfectly adhere to the rules. Just do the best that you can and follow the Captain's example." He offered her a rare smile. "It's still a fairly new crew afterall."

Feeling Layel returning to Scheherazade, Sapphire grinned broadly at the possibility having someone to spend time with while she was engaged with the tedious assignment of scanning an entire planet for three specific sentients. She was debating the merits of meeting Leyal Haete for the first time nude or in some state of dress when her communicator beeped.

Originally Posted By: Nami
"Lt. Rose, a... word in private, please."

Sapphire sighed, then pouted. Still so formal - it's been more than a day! The impossibly beautiful elan tightened the focus of her mental awareness from a planetary scale to a single individual, one she had known intimately.

*What can I do for you Nam... Captain Dylan?* Sapphire finished her mental reply weakly under the wave of controlled fury that washed over her, her sight tinted in shades of red from the emotion she could see. Uh-oh. For a split-second, Sapphire considered asking if Nami wanted her to come receive her 'admonishment' in person, but she knew Namiah wouldn't appreciate the thought.

Lt. Rose, please coordinate continued surveillance with Lt. Haete. Namiah's terse and red-tinged reply was still calm. Please inform me the next time you need to utilize a member of the crew in a special project. Consider it a need to know. Also, please let Lt. Haete that until further notice, I don't want people to see him when he is on the planet. I want their eyes on Chance, Lt. Hodarg and myself; he should be able to accomplish more if they don't see him. Sensitive information is to be sent between the members of the crew via yourself; continue normal chatter over the comm. Let's see if we can keep them watching our right hand so our left can get some work done, hmm?

*Of course Captain Dylan, understood. I'll convey your orders to Lt. Haete,* Sapphire replied, her thoughts projecting a hint of contriteness before fading back to her usual suggestive allure. *I'm still adjusting from knowing you in an intimately informal manner, Nami, to being your total subordinate... which does hold it's own unique appeal. The mental connection dissipated with the sound of Sapphire's smokey laughter.

With a burst of focused effort, Sapphire materialized a sheath dress of translucent of lustrous indigo silk and a pair of stiletto-heeled, thigh-high boots. Now, she would be meeting Layel in an official capacity, so she supposed presenting herself nude for the first time was somewhat uncalled for - she assumed that was what Nami would think.

Just as Layel turned down the hall that led to the crew quarters, Sapphire strutted out of her chambers, lips curved in tantalizing promise. Layel froze in awe as he gazed upon the ineffably gorgeous goddess. She appeared to be more a fantastic dream then merely flesh and blood.

Her skin was pale and fine as moonlight, her long mane a waterfall of twilight silk plunging down her back, a perfect match to the indigo stars of her eyes. The immaculate lines of her gracefully curvaceous figure would haunt the thoughts of the finest artists of a thousand worlds.

Layel finally managed to blink and she was suddenly standing right in front of him, a warm hand laying temptingly on his forearm.

"Layel Haete," she presumed, her sultry voice full of vivacious promise, "I am Sapphire Rose."

Layel's mouth dropped open a tad, and staring was a reality, no matter what the cut-off, still shrieking duty side of him was arguing. His self-control had lessened a bit since the argument, and it took a full half-minute for him to at least stop the physical ogling.

The mental ogling was not stopped though. She was nothing like the girls on Gehenna. Or anywhere else for that matter.

Finally, he managed to say "It's a pleasure to meet you, Sapphire." It sounded more like a gasp from a drowning man.

With the Captain establishing her authority, and sending Layel back to the ship, matters continued forward. The three members of the team on the surface were escorted at last to a rather lovely suite where just about every amenity was available. Lady Malen then gestured to the suite. "We've prepared this place for you and your people while you are here, you are free to add your own effects as you desire. If you would let me know when your ready to address our gathered council, I will let the rest of the council members know."

"Lady Malen," Namiah said before their hostess could sweep away - a tactic she'd seen used many times before, "before I address the council, I would appreciate knowing the factions and how they are breaking. Is it by planet, or is it organized more by political belief?" She smiled a bit grimly, knowing that her address would have to start out strongly offensive against the factions.

But this was the kind of offensive her people specialized at.

Archived