Aberrant: No Good Deed - Abberant: No Good Deed

Curtis Shane

Because I understand there may be some demand *cough Stargazer*, and I remain interested in hosting a game, I present Aberrant: No Good Deed.

The Pitch

Think of this world as a variant of canon Aberrant, in a sense. Except no one knows about the how and why of someone gaining superpowers. At some point, (around a few years ago) people started getting them out of the blue. By now, a good 0.0005% of the world's population got powers. That's 3 million people. Of all kinds and places.

Problem is, there wasn't any force that stepped in, that could offer a solution when it started. Chaos and discord reigned for a while, as criminals and the deviants of human nature had their spotlight. Taint also made the even the good guys look bad. Then the nations took jurisdiction over settling the matter for their supers and things settled down.

But they're not the same anymore. People don't forget easy, and watch with wary eyes. Being as much human as the last fellow, many super-humans are still causing problems, some even see opportunities of greatness in their power. Like you. You may remember the old days, or just jump out like a flash for yourself. Only you folks are together, and you want big stuff, like say, the entire planet.

The Game Mechanics

As villains, you seek as your goal, or join in for whatever reason, to conquer the world.

40 Nova Points.

Quote:
Quantum points will be handled differently in this setting than in the core rule book. Characters may have a starting Quantum of up to Q3 for no cost, but a score of Q4 or Q5 must be purchased with bonus or nova points. Characters created with a Quantum score lower than Q3 will receive extra bonus points (not nova points) which may be spent on attributes, abilities, specialties, or backgrounds. Five bonus points will be allotted to a character who is created with Q2, or ten bonus points for a character who is created with Q1.

Quantum scores will be limited to no greater than Q5 at time of creation.

Use Invisible Castle for rolls.

Keep Taint low if you have it. Right now, you can't afford the being extra recognizable.

3-5 players at first. I don't expect much more anyway.

Edit: Decided to borrow from 200X

Hmm, interesting, you want us to play the bad guys then? Or is it more of view that a race superior to humans should rule over humans? What of Teragen and Chrysalis, sense this seems right up their ally? In case your wondering, yes, I would like in on this.

Krul: The idea is a little more toward the supervillan range, but there definitely is a Terragen-like organization. Feel free to subscribe to their newsletter.

And just to give folks an idea now of the general policy that most countries, at least the First World countries handle their super fellows:

(borrowed from Long March)

Quote:
Jonathan chuckled, "So you don't deny it, that's good." He pulled out a folder from a briefcase, "Our country puts a strong emphasis on security and it is partly due to our recruiting efforts among the top .1% that we are as safe as we are today. Our biggest threats are not Darwin award winners who blow themselves up, but rather the cyber criminals and scientists of other nations. We need people like you to join us in the fight to keep America safe. Now here is the pitch. We will pay you a handsome salary, educate you in any area in which you show aptitude or interest, and you'll have the best health care and benefits that money can buy."

Jono smiled his friendly smiled, "Nothing. This isn't a 'join us or else' situation. If you don't want to join us you continue living your normal life and do whatever you wish to do within the limits of the law of course. All that we ask in that event is that you not put your talents to work for any foreign entity. We would prefer that you use your talents for American benefit. Start a company and become the next Bill Gates, or become a Doctor and invent a drug that cures cancer. Just do it for yourself and for America."

Anyway, if I'm not mistaken, the following are in:

Logic1, Mr. Fox, Krul, SalmonMax, Courier, Justin OOC.

Once everyone's status is confirmed, I'll PM Chosen for the forum.

I too shall be joining this little endeavour. And I don't think we should worry too much about a little overlap in powers. How you use them and why you use them is more important than what you use. Hence I'm rebooting Tomas for No Good Deed with the ST's blessing.

*clasps hands together, steepling the fingers*

This will be fun, won't it? firedevil

I think, I'm going to be going for some of the higher powers myself, I am mainly looking at Q4 and Q5 powers at the moment. At the moment, I've three options I'm considering.

One: Someone who views reality as something that is actually programmable, like a computer, who possesses powers like Matter Creation, Manipulation, Force Field and Quantum Construct, maybe Disintegrate as well, if I can somewhere find the points

Two: A Powerful shapechanger, who can be anyone or anything, and is very good at it, who is also a master manipulator, something like the gods Loki or Coyote

Three: A Mastermind Brainiac, with high mega-int and control over magnetic, and perhaps electrical forces (electromagnetism)

Of these, likely the latter two will work better.

Well, there's lots of ways to go about taking over the world, the question is, do we want a world emperor, or do we want to control things behind the scenes.

I'm assuming, sense we're going with the Super Villain route, that direct control is the goal.

1. Well, it's up to you guys in the end. When the group forms, I'll either give some rough paths for you to choose from, or you guys can make a plan, and I'll set up events to allow you to be flexible and work through it.

2. When the forum is up, I'll be posting notes with background fluff to give you guys a better understanding of the world.

3. Character sheets are between me and the player. You see, I encourage intrigue and backstabbing as appropriate.

firedevil

The design I have right now is based on covert rule... Subtle telepathy and mirage...mega intelligence, manipulation and perception. Even so, her ultimate goal is fairly radical.

But she's open to counterargument. We can discuss it IC.

I'm interested in this game but moving this weekend, so rather pressed for time. Is it alright to still jump in, and if so, what character types are still needed/wanted?

I was thinking of 'porting over my long-lost original 200X character Davian or making up something new if needed.

Davian in 200X was an unknown nova with telepathic abilities, lots of money, and a penchant for manipulating from behind the scenes. He also has Disrupt and Psychic Sheild, but I don't know how powerful/weak these characters will be in comparison to 200X (I assume weaker).

I'm more than open to trying something new as well, though. smile

Hmmm....having read through the thread once more, it does seem like there are quite of few telepathic or telepathic-like (emotional) character concepts floating about. I've got little problem with removing or at least drastically reducing Davian's abilities along that direction. Is there a powerset/personality type that the group still needs?

With a group this size there is going to be overlap, I just want to make sure everyone's got their niche still, too.

@Kyria:

With Tomas, I got an estimated 7 folks. That will be a bit to handle, so at first no. If things go through well, then I can move folks in later.

@Everyone: Obviously, just to be clear, a powerset that is more capable of fighting is obviously untouched. A little overlap is fine, but diversity would be good. Put your eggs in one basket, and they'll get cracked mighty soon.

Aww.

*gives Kyria/Mala some evil hugs*

On the group diversity note, I could alter Tomas somewhat from the Sidhe/Incubus model I currently have. There's some other ideas I've been toying with for him that would give him a little more physicality.

Seeing as the 200X version of Tomas is a manipulator/mentalist, I'd be happy to change this version. Besides, it'd weird out the people who know what to expect from the 'old' Tomas.

firedevil

I was thinking of a secret cabal as far as the group is concerned too. My char idea is kind of a drawing room gentleman who can either effect reality, physically kick the crap out of people as a stark contrast to his gentlemanly nature, or a combination of the two.

I have two potential characters. Both Q5, Taint 1.

Dr. Chronos, Mega-Int, Mega-Manipulative Temporal Manip (and probably a pre-cog) who uses his powers to make absurd amounts of money and gain influence. Doc is by far the most grandiose character I have since he actually knows exactly how to reshape the world and that's what he's up to.

Bob (aka "Cannibal Bob", aka "The Colony"), Shapeshifting Lovecraftian horror. Bob doesn't have any aberrations and by default looks totally 'normal'... he's a monster where it counts, on the inside. He can shapeshift other people to *make* them part of himself which is a polite way to say he can eat people.

Both characters have enough nova points left over for Psychic Link which would make them minor telepaths (and this group is going to need that).

Archived