Champions Online

Joani

Hello everybody,

I was wondering if any of you play CO or are thinking about getting a copy and try the free month?

I considering to buy it this week and wanted to check back if any of you play and if yes on which server wink

To those who have played the beta or have an account - is it worthwhile?

I have it.

More than one posting slowdown on my watch was because of it.

Been having fun, still having fun, though I've managed to slow it down a bit lately so I can fit in other things too. smile

Let me know what your handle is if you decide to give it a go.

There doesn't appear to be a server split. There are many instances of every zone all running simultaneously, but you can freely switch between them at any time. You can also see if any of your friends are online, and on which instance they're online.

• 2 months later...

I have ascertained this to be true. Champions is one big happy global family. laugh

It's also a lot of fun. The character creation and ensuing development is flexible, in-depth and allows for a great amount of customisation. You get your travel power early-on (anyone remember the seemingly endless crawl to lvl 14 in CoX just so you didn't have to run through hordes of mobs to get anywhere).

Combat is fast-paced and comic-booky, aided by the ability to charge up your 'mana' bar with basic attacks before using your big nasty moves. Enemies randomly drop short-term buffs and heals when they die which rather neatly simulates the hero getting his second wind after dealing with a threat, and is very handy if you're up against 'overwhelming odds'. You're not stuck to just one power theme if you wanted to play a character who's a little more flexible. Superman-ish characters can have super-strength AND the ability to shoot rays from their eyes, should you wish.

Furthermore, the trial is without time limit (though you can't leave the starter area) and lets you play around with the power-types and funky costume designs before you decide to buy the game.

Add to that the fact that there's no 'EU' or 'US' server-split, just the game, the whole game, and nothing but the game, and I think I have a new favorite MMO.

Name's 'Cebalrai' in-game. Look me up if any y'all want to play. grin

• 1 month later...

So - I finally got it. In-game name is - how could it be? Joani smile

I was waiting for a reasonable price on Amazon (was recently up to 39 Euros - now I got it for 19).

Looks promising - but I couldn't add you to my friendslist. Seems to be a bit more complicated. I typed in your name but it wouldn't take it... any help?

• 1 month later...

Oh Champions. The game with so much potential, and sooo little content. Love the character options, hate the miniscule world and limited scope of missions. Once you've been through the missions it offers...thats pretty much it.

I was with it through Alpha, then into Beta and finally just gave up when they weren't planning adding any more content and they were being silly about the 'Cryptic Store'.

I signed back on in January. Was still the same stuff and then they announced thier first expansion (not for free) and there was public outcry. Now it looks like they are making it free? I wanted to love the game, but Cryptic seems to flip flop on so many issues that I cannot trust the company.

Archived