Aberrant: 200X - [Proposal Thread] Powers, Enhancements and Rules

Bombshell

Okay, since Powerhouse and Pinpoint Accuracy have gone through the vote and have been vetted, I'd like to proposed a couple of amendments to current powers, in the interest of game balance and consistency.

#1 - Muscle Coordination

Since Powerhouse lets someone hit as easily with M-Str as someone with M-Dex, I believe this Technique should work in both directions, to keep them even.

Muscle Coordination (5 experience points Non-Associated Only)

Prerequisites: At least 2 dots of Brawl and at least 1 dot of Mega-Dexterity OR at least 2 dots of Martial Arts and as least 1 dot of Mega-Strength

You have a talent that allows you to simultaneously exploit your superhuman grace while employing your superhuman strength. When you buy this technique you may choose between: when making Brawl rolls you may add your dots in Mega-Dexterity to your roll as bonus dice OR when making Martial Art rolls you may add your dots in Mega-Strength as bonus dice. These bonus dice are cumulative with any style maneuver bonus dice (to a maximum bonus of +5 dice). These bonus dice are not considered Mega-dice and are rolled for successes normally. This technique may be bought twice, to get both versions of it.

#2 - Physical Prodigy/Artistic Genius/Various Skill Prodigies Enhancements

These are basically all the same power and I think they should use the same rules. It was also make it more convenient for people if they wished to propose new Prodigy Enhancements. One caveat of such should be a given skill for these powers should be one that isn't opposed by another skill - which isn't the same as two people using the same skill to determine who is better, or created a greater masterpiece, such as in an athletic competition, comparing two pieces of art, or a performance. I'd also prefer that the Skill Prodigy enhancements fall under the Attribute the skill is associated with, but that isn't a big concern.

As such, I'd suggest making all such enhancements grant either a simple +3 Auto-Successes (as Physical Prodigy) or an 'Appropriate Attribute' roll, with each success granting another die on the skill roll. I personally prefer the second option, if only because it takes into account the different between a low and high Mega-Attribute.

As for a quantum cost, all these powers either last for a scene or for hours, all for 1 quantum. I'm not sure a quantum cost is really necessary for increased talent in a skill that isn't actively opposed (unlike say, when you are seducing someone). It was the one thing I liked from Artistic Genius, but this is just a little nitpick and not a big issue at all.

#3 - Entirely New Enhancement

Considering the inclusion of enhancements like Powerhouse and Pinpoint Accuracy, I was contemplating making an Enhancement that would benefit those who decided to raise both Mega-Strength and Mega-Dexterity, sort of an enhancement version of Muscle Coordination. I haven't developed one I'm completely happy with, but I want to show what I got so far.

Focused Power (Mega-Strength or Mega-Dexterity Enhancement)

Prerequisite: At least 1 dot in both Mega-Strength and Mega-Dexterity

There are novas with devastating strength and novas with matchless grace. Then there are novas that combine the two into a superlative whole.

System (v.1): When using an attack that uses Dexterity to hit, but is based off Strength for damage (and vice-versa, I just can't think of something in Aberrant that works that way), you increase the damage by [1] (1 auto-success) per dot of Mega-Dexterity. Further more, extra successes beyond those needed to hit are counted as extra successes instead of extra dice to the damage roll.

System (v.2): When using an attack that uses Dexterity to hit, but is based off Strength for damage (and vice-versa, I just can't think of something in Aberrant that works that way), you increase the damage by [2] (2 auto-successes) per dot of Mega-Dexterity.

I think both versions have merit, though I prefer the first one, since the effect isn't as pronounced at the highest levels. As is, someone with M-Strength 3 and Mega-Dexterity 5 is better off buying Pinpoint Accuracy since the total damage increase is the same with v.2 and the damage increase can be used for a larger variety of attacks (firearms and such, instead of just thrown items). V.1 only has the same damage increase only if you end up with 5 extra successes to hit. But at Mega-Strength 5 and Mega-Dexterity 5, a flat 10 extra damage seems excessive rather than a scale of 5-10.

Even with Mega-Strength 4 and Mega-Dexterity 5, Pinpoint Accuracy is still extremely tempting over this offered enhancement - was considering adding an effect to v.1 that allows you to increase the number of extra successes you can apply to damage beyond 5 equal to the lower of your M-Str or M-Dex, but it seemed like too much for a single enhancement. Then again, Pinpoint Accuracy does let you increase you damage as if M-Dex was M-Str, add that damage to firearms, and let you use light weapons and other innocuous items with the damage increase without breaking said items (M-Str might let you throw a baseball through a tank, but that baseball is destroyed too. wink

Comments and suggestions more than welcome.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alteration to Qi Meng Proposal

200x has voted, and Qi Meng is here. We as a board have agreed to this, but there is something that bothers me about the basic principal of the style. That issue can be seen here:

Originally Posted By: The New Flesh
The important thing is while novas are unable to directly manipulate noetic energy - that’s the province of Nova Age psiads and Trinity Era psions - they can still manipulate it indirectly through the medium of their quantum energies. It’s an inefficient process, but the results can still be quite dramatic. Unfortunately the noetic energy of most novas is too often out of balance with their quantum energies, which leads to Taint accumulation and all its associated problems. Qi Meng stylists can prevent themselves from gaining Taint and even remove any they may already have accumulated by deliberately bringing their noetic and quantum energies into a stable balance. This can even allow Qi Meng stylists to prevent themselves from gaining permanent Taint in circumstances where it is otherwise considered inevitable, provided a sufficient level of mastery has been achieved.

This violates a cardinal rule of the Aeon universe – Noetic and Quantum energies are utterly incompatible. Once someone is using one or the other, they are barred from having any ability to affect the other. So to me, this renders Qi Meng as completely impossible.

I’m not here to argue that it should be banned. Instead, I’d like to offer an alternative to what The New Flesh provides as the OOC mechanics for how Qi Meng works. If this is accepted, I’d like it to become the theory for how Qi Meng works, both IC and OOC.

ColouredChakraswithDescriptions.jpgThe chakras are considered to be the focal points or ‘force centers’ for the reception and transmission of energy. This is a simplification of the exact theory behind Chakras, which are massively complex (many different cultures have minor chakras, as an example or more than seven main ones). For game terms, we’ll keep it simple, using the seven most commonly known in the West.

The first chakra is located in the crown of the head and is believed to deal with matters of pure consciousness. The second is the brow chakra, located at the ‘third eye’ and deals with emotion and intuition. The throat chakra is located in the throat, right at the base. It relates to communication and growth/maturation. Next is the heart chakra, which is located in the same place and deals with complex emotions such as love, for ourself and others. The solar plexus chakra is located around the stomach and governs digestion and physical maturation. The sacral chakra is located in the pelvis and is tied to sexual energy and reproduction. The final chakra is located between the genitals and anus, is called the base chakra and related to basic human needs, such as security, survival, etc.

Chakras can become ‘dirty’ it is believed, clogged with the detritus of daily living. They can also fall out of balance be responsible for physical and mental aliments. These can be cleansed and treated, bringing the chakras and the body back into alignment.

The Sifu of Qi Meng fame is a practitioner and student of the chakras, having studied them for most of his life. He learned to cleanse his own chakras through a blend of meditation and exercise. The process of this was incredibly demanding, too much for most people. For a long time, the Sifu had few students, and even fewer able to master his techniques. It was just too much for most of them to manage.

When the Sifu erupted, his studies changed. He had to deal with some taint immediately and he began to put together his new theories on why. Through study and meditation, he discovered the existence of an eighth major chakra, which he called the node chakra. It is located between the second and third chakras, where the node is typically found in a nova. This chakra is responsible for regulating quantum energies. When it is clogged, the result is taint.

Though meditation and katas, the Sifu was able to clean all of his chakras again, including the node chakra. Where his techniques had been demanding before, now they were beyond a baseline’s ken. The master’s abilities had risen to the quantum level.

As a scholar, he spent some time studying Teras and its philosophy. He found little to recommend it to the truly enlightened, viewing Terats as misguided. It was not his place to preach to them and so he has left them alone, knowing if they do not find their enlightenment in this life they will find it in another. Chrysalis was interesting for him to study, but he understood that it wasn't cleansing the nova or their chakras of taint; it was merely replacing it with a more stable kind of injury, leaving the nova still unbalanced.

Terats in turn simply can’t understand Qi Meng. It makes no sense to them; taint is something to be transformed, not sloughed off like a dead skin. It smacks of taking all that is unique to novahood and returning to being monkeys. There are no doubt some Terats that would forsake the way of chrysalis to partake of Qi Meng. Such a thing would no doubt raise some questions in their fellow Terats about their intentions.

There is no change to the mechanics of Qi Meng. This is an alteration to the background only.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Qi Meng

I like this.

Just an idea to tack on - Qi Meng is 'cleaning out' the chakras, whereas Teras more or less 'fill them' in with something else (taint), forcing them into a new kind of balance (or even a dynamic imbalance they can navigate). Partly why the two philosophies conflict.

Originally Posted By: Einherjar
Teras fills the chakras with Taint changed into Chrysalis, which is a controlled form of evolutionary energy, which is then released during the Chrysalis transformation. Qi Meng keeps the chakras cleansed.

I added this to the proposal.

I like where Carver is going with this, but I'm going to have to disapprove of the actual philosophy being proposed. At least, if we're sticking with the idea that Qi Meng is a martial art created by someone who was formerly a master of Tai chi chuan (and not only do I, personally, like that notion - it also fits very well with the actual name 'Qi Meng').

Tai chi chuan is a Taoist system of martial arts and is based heavily on Taoist principles. Taoists do believe in something that roughly corresponds to a chakra, which are called Dantians - or Tan-t'ians - but there are only three, not seven or eight (and actually, only one of the major schools of Taoist thought has much to say on the matter).

The Hsiu-chen tu ('Diagram of Cultivating Perfection'), which is one of the major Taoist diagrams on the human body (along with the Neijing tu and the Xiuzhen tu and probably one or two others I'm not aware of), explains them as follows:

Originally Posted By: Hsiu-chen tu
There are three passes at the back: the Gate of Tail, Spinal Handle, and Jade Pillow. The Gate of Tail is the bottom of the vertebral column, at its very end; this pass connects with the apertures of internal kidneys. A thin pathway of marrow originates from this pass, its appellation is the Rivulet. It is also known as Yellow River and it is the pathway through which the yang ascends. It directly goes up to the point between the two shoulders, or the Spinal Handle, and then goes up to the brain where the Jade Pillow is found. These are the three passes.

- Taken from the Introduction of the 'Diagram of Cultivating Perfection'

It's worth noting, however, that this is only the most 'top-down' of views, and that the internal mapping of the human body within the Taoist view of reality is vastly more complex that this. (The same passage I just quoted from continues on immediately after that by clarifying that there are also three 'fields' in the front - notice the above passage referred to the passes in the 'back'.)

For instance, within the head alone, the brain is subdivided into as many as nine chambers, those being: the High Perfected, Supreme Perfected, Great Perfected, Immortal Perfected, Unfathomable Perfected, Superior Perfected, Divine Perfected, and Heavenly Perfected. Collectively referred to as the 'Nine Perfected' or the 'Nine Heavens'.

Taken from a later passage of the Hsiu-chen tu:

Originally Posted By: Hsiu-chen tu
There are nine palaces in heaven and nine continents on earth. Man's lower elixer field has nine cavities, which are patterned after the nine continents of earth. The Muddy Pellet has nine caves, which accord with the nine palaces of heaven. The cranium is made up of eight bones which correspond to the eight directions. One of the names of the Muddy Pellet is the Jade Emporer's Palace in the All Canopy Heaven; it is also known as the Heavenly Palace of Pure Yang. There is a hollow cave in the center, which is called the Master of Mysterious Numinosity; it is also known as the Palace of the Primordial Spirit.

Then there is the tongue; inside the tongue there is the Golden Lock Gate, which is equal to the tongue; it is also known as the Magpie Bridge. Below the nose there is the Center of Man point and facing it there is the Golden Lock Gate. Between them there is the Governor Vessel. Truly, these are the roots of the human being; they are called the upper nine cavities. One of the names of the tongue is the Jade Spring of Innate Nature Roots, also its appellation is the Flowery Pond.

Below the tongue there are four cavities; two of them connect with the heart, forming a humor. The other two cavities connect with the kidneys, forming a vapor. The Divine Chamber, Muddey Pellet and nine cavities, these are the palaces of the Heavenly August. There is a cave in the middle which is shaped like an egg; its form resembles the Mount K'un-lun. The Buddhists call it Mount Sumeru. [Note: it's more commonly called 'Mt. Meru' these days and makes an appearance or two in the oWoD setting under that name.] Disciples who cultivate perfection must know these.

- Taken from the Introduction of the 'Diagram of Cultivating Perfection'

And that's just the head - we haven't even gotten to the throat (or anywhere below that) yet.

In fact, I'll just sum it all up by pointing out that even before the charts I've mentioned so far had been finalized into their 'official' forms as they exist today, Chinese scholars had already made at least one attempt to synthesize them, resulting in the impressively named Huangdi bashiyi nanjing zuantu jujie, which translates as 'Charts and Explications on the Scripture of the Eighty-One Difficult Points [in the Inner Scripture] of the Yellow Emperor' (written sometime around 1269 AD, or so my research indicates).

Anway, I don't really want to go on about this forever, so I'll get to the point, which is that the seven-chakra system is nice and all, but doesn't really jive with Taoist beliefs. So while Carver's central concept sounds very good, I think the 'canon' wording that we use should be stripped of as much of the seven-chakra system (or whichever chakra system) as possible, otherwise we're likely to run into some serious philosophical conflicts down the road.

Alternately, if people want some sort of definite philosophy, whatever that is, then I can volunteer to provide much of the nitty-gritty details of the Taoist belief structure if needed. I've collected a few dozen scans and translations of most of the major Taoist works and several much more obscure works as well. I'm not any sort of expert on the stuff and most of what I've read seems to subscribe to what's known as the 'Complete Reality' school of thought with Taoism, and almost all of it was written after the so-called 'Thunder Rites' were introduced (in the 13th century, I believe), but I probably know enough and/or have enough research materials to fake it well enough for the purpose of writing free-form fiction in a PbP forum.

I went with the seven/eight-chakra system for ease, as I stated above. I did look at the others, but decided not to delve into that because 1) Westerns have usually heard of the 7-chakra system and 2) it's a game and there are limits to the amount of time/research I'll put into something I'll never invest in as a player or ST. wink

We could always say that it's another Taoist head chakra. I mostly wanted to get completely away from the concept that a nova is manipulating noetic energy in any way. I have no issues with stating that the Node chakra is Taoist, that it's roughly where the node is in most novas and leaving it further undefined. Is that alright?

That's fine with me. I just didn't want everyone to say "seven chakras for the win!", and then the first time someone tried to actually RP the stuff out they run smack up against the fact that there aren't any chakras in Taoism at all.

Cuz that'd be awkward. wink

Still, the idea that Qi Meng teaches one how to metaphysically 'clean out' out one's own internal being - including the cleaning out of any built-up taint - is one that I like. So I'm all for the basic idea you've proposed. smile

Originally Posted By: Bombshell
#1 - Muscle Coordination
Since Powerhouse lets someone hit as easily with M-Str as someone with M-Dex, I believe this Technique should work in both directions, to keep them even.

Muscle Coordination (5 experience points Non-Associated Only)
Prerequisites: At least 2 dots of Brawl and at least 1 dot of Mega-Dexterity OR at least 2 dots of Martial Arts and as least 1 dot of Mega-Strength

You have a talent that allows you to simultaneously exploit your superhuman grace while employing your superhuman strength. When you buy this technique you may choose between: when making Brawl rolls you may add your dots in Mega-Dexterity to your roll as bonus dice OR when making Martial Art rolls you may add your dots in Mega-Strength as bonus dice. These bonus dice are cumulative with any style maneuver bonus dice (to a maximum bonus of +5 dice). These bonus dice are not considered Mega-dice and are rolled for successes normally. This technique may be bought twice, to get both versions of it.

I don't see anything wrong with this. Unless folks think the basic Muscle Coordination is somehow abusive, then I don't see how its opposite would be.

#2 - Physical Prodigy/Artistic Genius/Various Skill Prodigies Enhancements

These are basically all the same power and I think they should use the same rules. It was also make it more convenient for people if they wished to propose new Prodigy Enhancements. One caveat of such should be a given skill for these powers should be one that isn't opposed by another skill - which isn't the same as two people using the same skill to determine who is better, or created a greater masterpiece, such as in an athletic competition, comparing two pieces of art, or a performance. I'd also prefer that the Skill Prodigy enhancements fall under the Attribute the skill is associated with, but that isn't a big concern.

As such, I'd suggest making all such enhancements grant either a simple +3 Auto-Successes (as Physical Prodigy) or an 'Appropriate Attribute' roll, with each success granting another die on the skill roll. I personally prefer the second option, if only because it takes into account the different between a low and high Mega-Attribute.

As for a quantum cost, all these powers either last for a scene or for hours, all for 1 quantum. I'm not sure a quantum cost is really necessary for increased talent in a skill that isn't actively opposed (unlike say, when you are seducing someone). It was the one thing I liked from Artistic Genius, but this is just a little nitpick and not a big issue at all.

I like the idea of standardizing the Prodigy enhancements, and I'd vote for the 'Appropriate Attribute roll' option as well. As for the 1qp cost, I don't think I really care one way or the other whether that gets removed or not.
#3 - Entirely New Enhancement

Considering the inclusion of enhancements like Powerhouse and Pinpoint Accuracy, I was contemplating making an Enhancement that would benefit those who decided to raise both Mega-Strength and Mega-Dexterity, sort of an enhancement version of Muscle Coordination. I haven't developed one I'm completely happy with, but I want to show what I got so far.

Focused Power (Mega-Strength or Mega-Dexterity Enhancement)
Prerequisite: At least 1 dot in both Mega-Strength and Mega-Dexterity

There are novas with devastating strength and novas with matchless grace. Then there are novas that combine the two into a superlative whole.

System (v.1): When using an attack that uses Dexterity to hit, but is based off Strength for damage (and vice-versa, I just can't think of something in Aberrant that works that way), you increase the damage by [1] (1 auto-success) per dot of Mega-Dexterity. Further more, extra successes beyond those needed to hit are counted as extra successes instead of extra dice to the damage roll.

System (v.2): When using an attack that uses Dexterity to hit, but is based off Strength for damage (and vice-versa, I just can't think of something in Aberrant that works that way), you increase the damage by [2] (2 auto-successes) per dot of Mega-Dexterity.

I think both versions have merit, though I prefer the first one, since the effect isn't as pronounced at the highest levels. As is, someone with M-Strength 3 and Mega-Dexterity 5 is better off buying Pinpoint Accuracy since the total damage increase is the same with v.2 and the damage increase can be used for a larger variety of attacks (firearms and such, instead of just thrown items). V.1 only has the same damage increase only if you end up with 5 extra successes to hit. But at Mega-Strength 5 and Mega-Dexterity 5, a flat 10 extra damage seems excessive rather than a scale of 5-10.

Even with Mega-Strength 4 and Mega-Dexterity 5, Pinpoint Accuracy is still extremely tempting over this offered enhancement - was considering adding an effect to v.1 that allows you to increase the number of extra successes you can apply to damage beyond 5 equal to the lower of your M-Str or M-Dex, but it seemed like too much for a single enhancement. Then again, Pinpoint Accuracy does let you increase you damage as if M-Dex was M-Str, add that damage to firearms, and let you use light weapons and other innocuous items with the damage increase without breaking said items (M-Str might let you throw a baseball through a tank, but that baseball is destroyed too. wink

The first option that you list out does sound the best, yeah. However, Rapid Strike, found in the Core book on pg. 159, already does more or less what you're talking about - although it isn't quite as 'beefy'.

Perhaps you could restructure your proposed enhancement so that it works as a 'second level' of Rapid Strike?

The question of why Ability Mastery (from Adventure!, pg. 138) hadn't been incorporated into 200x yet, and Einherjar suggested I submit it for review here.

So that's what this is: a submission for Ability Mastery to be allowed in 200x.

For those of you unfamiliar with the Adventure! line of the Aeonverse:

Originally Posted By: Adventure! pg. 138
Usually, five dots are the most skill a character can attain in agiven Ability. If your character already has five dots in an Ability, you can use transformation points* [sic] buy an additional sixth dot. This peerless degree of expertise is called Ability mastery; the character is considered an innovator head and shoulders above his peers....

... You may purchase Ability mastery only once for a specific Ability and for a total of no more than three separate ABilities.

*: 'Transformation points' in the quote above is the A! equivalent of nova points.

So that's what Ability mastery is. A few things to note if Ability Mastery were to be incorporated into an Aberrant setting such as 200x:

1) --The flavor text that talks about how a character with Ability mastery is an "innovator head and shoulders above his peers" is certainly accurate, but only up to a point. With Mega-Attributes coming into play, a character with Mega-Intelligence 1 and Ability mastery in Medicine could certainly consider himself to be one of the most skilled doctors of the past century, be he's still going to be outperformed by his fellow nova doctor with Medicine 4 and Mega-Intelligence 3.

2) --In case it still isn't clear; Ability mastery gives your character a sixth dot in the Ability you've chosen to master. And that's all it gives you! No, your sixth dot does not count a 7,8, or 9 as two successes and a 10 as 3 successes. No, you do not get to magically re-roll any and all 10's on a roll involving a mastered Ability. Basically, if your question isn't "does Ability mastery give me a sixth dot in [mastered] Ability, and a corresponding extra die on relevant rolls?", then the answer is "No". It really is that simple.

3) --The quoted text above doesn't make it very clear, but pg. 125 of the Adventure! textbook lays out Experience Point costs for various things and it states clearly that you can, in fact, purchase Ability mastery with xp (and not just with 'Transformation points' as it states above). The costs is 12xp.

So basically, if this addition is incorporated into 200x, then future character submissions (or already-existing characters with unspent NPs) could purchase an Ability mastery dot for 1NP per mastered dot, while characters already in play could purchase a sixth dot in a given ability with 12xp (up to the listed limit of 3 mastered Abilities in total - and personally I think that any character with even two mastered Abilities, let alone 3, should be closely scrutinized by Mods and fellow players). In return, they can now roll 6 dice for that Ability, before bringing Attribute dice and/or bonus dice into play (or 7 or even 8 dice if Specialties are coming into play). Obviously, this doesn't really do much for a character from a strictly mechanical point of view (12xp can buy you as many as two dots in a Mega-Attribute or Level 2 power, while an NP can buy you six regular dots in other Abilities or 5 dots in Backgrounds or 3 dots in Attributes), but it does give your character a certain amount of prestige, style, and extra flair.

So there you go, that's the submission. Thoughts, questions, concerns?

I vote yes as well.

It adds flavor without in any real way unbalancing things. Yes, there will be a glut of people wanting martial arts mastery for that one extra dot, but that really isn't a big bonus, so people should soon tire of it and leave it for those who want a little descriptive text for your character with the dots to back it up.

I like the idea of Ability Mastery.

On Bombs proposals:

1 - No problem for me with this.

2 - I agree. Some streamlining of the Prodigy enhancements is necessary. I'd be happy to have it standardised as "roll appropriate dice for extra dice on the skill roll". The exception being the combat enhancements such as Accuracy and Artemis' Bow. I'd personally keep those as written.

3 - It seems redundant on the surface. But I'd go with Kaz's suggestion of reworking it a little to make it "Rapid Strike 2"

Damn, I just realised I don't have my Mod pants on... blush Oh well, it wouldn't be the first time.

• 1 month later...

Proposal: Gunslinger Lord

Basically, Artemis' Bow for firearms.

System: Provided there is a clip/ammunition within reach, a nova with this enhancement may reload a firearm without

using an action or paying a quantum point. The nova also gets +3 automatic successes on any Firearms roll, which costs

1 quantum point per attack in combat (hit or miss). Outside of combat, this enhancement costs 1 quantum point per scene.

Artemis Bow is an M-Dex Enhancement from The New Flesh that provides 2 benefits.

1) It doesn't take an action to nock an arrow, meaning you have effectively a semi-automatic rate of fire with a bow. Normally it would require an action to draw and nock an arrow.

2) For 1 qp per shot in combat, or 1 qp per scene out of combat you gain +3 auto successes to hit with a bow.

This announcement has been sponsored by Einherjar.

The only problem I see with this proposal is that it open ups the possibility of making a version of the Enhancement for whatever type of attack the Nova prefers, and this version is about a thousand times better than Accuracy, rendering that enhancement almost obsolete. Yes, Accuracy lets you use it for any attack, but most people have one particular one they vastly prefer anyway, and it takes a round of aiming and only adds three dice, instead of three successes. Also, you can't activate for the scene.

• 4 weeks later...

I vote +3 dice as well. I'm still a little wary of the enhancement though; firearms are inherently more dangerous and lethal than bows and crossbows, so while Artemis's Bow isn't all that terribly abusive in terms of what it could potentially allow a nova to do, the proposed Gunslinger Lord enhancement could rather easily be used abusively, with or without the suggested revisions.

I would be far more comfortable myself if it were three dice, not three autos sux to hit. With both that and Artemis's Bow.

I don't see what it matters, honestly. Whether is +3 Dice or +3 auto-successes the end result might be a shot that someone can't dodge (because you can't block or parry ranged attacks, w/out enhancements or powers) but even then regardless of how you get there you can't add more than 5 of that to a damage pool anyway.

What's the big deal?

I'm more worried about it's potential use with weapons like the ultra-machinegun or a 30mm cannon or similar. Unless we're actually using the optional abilities from the Player's Guide? (In which case Gunslinger Lord wouldn't work for weapons larger than an assault rifle or thereabouts.) But in that case I guess I need to go retcon my char-sheets again, because I built both Kaz and Aus under the assumption that 200X wasn't using them... *sighs*

Revised Proposal: Gunslinger Lord

Basically, Artemis' Bow for firearms.

System: Provided there is a clip/ammunition within reach, a nova with this enhancement may reload a firearm without

using an action or paying a quantum point. The nova also gets +3 dice on any Firearms roll, which costs

1 quantum point per attack in combat (hit or miss). Outside of combat, this enhancement costs 1 quantum point per scene. Note that this enhancement may not be used on anything heavier than a rifle, and may not apply to automatic fire.

I don't see what it matters, honestly. Whether is +3 Dice or +3 auto-successes the end result might be a shot that someone can't dodge (because you can't block or parry ranged attacks, w/out enhancements or powers) but even then regardless of how you get there you can't add more than 5 of that to a damage pool anyway.

What's the big deal?

Well, three auto successes is a massive difference. If you roll three dice, most of the time that translates to only one extra success and often none. Three auto successes is a brutal, brutal shift. I run a TT game every week and most of the players have at least one 10+ dice pool, and even those are regularly coming up with 2 and 3 successes only.

Archived