Mutants & Masterminds: StarGate Freedom - Prologue: Yseult Langlois/Marty

Dr. Yseult Langlois

It was almost a disappointment. Some of these people were so mad they were going to get them selves killed in the next day or two. Listening to some of their suggestions he knew half of them probably wouldn't last the cycle.

"Plenty of groups going around not even a dozen in them if we could get enough of them we could go after them and get their weapons."

Which you have no idea how to operate them.

"We just need to get everyone together. If we all rise up they can't keep us down!"

They do not need to you small minded creature, they can destroy you without having to set foot on the ground.

This planet did not have a clue. How would they though. They had never been out of their own system. They knew nothing of any intelligent life other than their own. Their technology was not really primitive, but it was limited in so many ways it just didn't offer them enough of an edge. Maybe if they had time to prepare for this...

Why not use the chappa'ai? A planet wide occupation would require some ships, and with the new technology to make travel so much faster it made it more convenient. However use of the ring would be considered standard as well. Without control of the ring there was no true control of the planet. Once they knew where the planet was they could figure out the symbols. It had been his original plan to infiltrate. Getting in to a Jaffa suit and coming in with the second or third wave that went through the chappa'ai would have been the perfect means to infiltrate the planet. However Baal had told him no waves were heading through it. By now surely they would have located it. This was not a naquada rich planet so a few scans would quickly tell them its location.

There were many questions. This had not been standard. Things were off and he had to know why. Of course his access to communication was mostly cut off until Baal came to the planet. If he ever did. Suddenly the conversation brought him back to the room.

"Tonight, we can start with here. There are not that many of their soldiers."

Time to step in 'Marty'.

Marty cleared his throat. "It won't work." The people around him all looked over. "It didn't even take them two days to take out the military. You think we can do any better? One night of trouble and how many of those soldiers do you think will be here tomorrow? How many ships do you think we will have to deal with? Now their weapons look pretty good but I bet we need more then some of those sticks to take out their ships. What we need to do now is gather information and build resources. We need to find the right people and let them lower their guard a little. Hell, if we let things quiet down for a couple days maybe we can get our hands on some of their weapons."

Marty looked around to make sure he had peoples attention.

"There is no way we can stand for this. They may think they are some great alien powers or what ever, but they are gonna learn not to mess with us. But we need someone who is smart and who we can listen to. Someone has to take command of this. Anyone here know anyone? Someone with some experience planning and organizing things would probably be a good start."

Click to reveal..
(01:17:41) ChatBot: (Marty) rolls 1d20 and gets 7.

Diplomacy to try to get them focused on the suggested course.

7 + 8 = 15

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally Posted By: Georgia
"Yes, Yseult, what can I help you with?"

"I was hoping to find some extra clothing for myself and my daughter. She is needing a bath, and something for her - and myself - to sleep in, it would be preferred."

Yseult arched a brow at the door of the other room, a question in her dark eyes, though she didn't voice it. She believed if Georgia wished to share, she would. Her hand felt a hard lump in her bag, and another thought occurred to her.

"As well, if possible, I would like to procure a laptop or computer. There are... things I would like to look at."

"My wife was a Girl Scout Troop leader," one man said after a brief pause.

"The military would be best for that, what you want," another man said, leaning back in his chair. He was average-looking, average enough that Marty took a second look at him. "You need to find them."

"And where would that be?" Marty asked casually.

"Not here," the first man snorted. "They took their guns and ran."

"I wouldn't be surprised if they were around here," the second said. "They might be pulling back, but they haven't given up."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Georgia nodded and pulled them to a closet at the end of the hall. There were clothes and towels inside. "Here, you can find what you need in here. We always have guests leaving things behind, and... let me show you where the bathroom is."

After she'd gotten Yseult better settled, Georgia sighed and said, "Did I hear you say your daughter is autistic?"

"Yes, she is," Yseult said softly.

"Then keep a close eye on her," Georgia said softly. "That woman's brother had Down's Syndrome. The alien who 'processed' him ordered him killed. I think they're not friendly to the less-abled. Be careful."

Marty considered the man for a few moments. What possibly bugged him was how easy it seemed. He did not believe he was the only one out here who reported to a Goa'uld. Although just finding the military was not the hard part. Getting them to fight this kind of war was. Catching the guys gaze Marty used his eyes to indicate outside.

"Alright, for the time being I think we should all just lay low and let them think they have won. Meanwhile everyone work on stockpiling what you can without being noticed. Don't go walking around with weapons. Don't start trouble with them yet. Lets do this right and hopefully not get any bystanders killed."

Marty stood up and nodded to the room before heading out side. He leaned against the building and watched the street, waiting.

Yseult's dark eyes widened in horror at Georgia's explanation, her arms tightening around her daughter as she held her close. Her loosed her breath in a tired sigh. The Goa'uld kept revealing new terrors and now she had agreed to help form a resistance movement though she had little knowledge how to do so. She was a preeminent scientist - if given a question about genetics, biology, even certain aspects of physics, she would have an answer or could find a solution. Inspiring people to defy alien predators however was a skill she had sadly neglected.

"That is... most dreadful, Georgie. Since getting my daughter back, I am having no intention of letting her out of my sight." Yseult paused in thought. She may not be a rebellion leader, but there was still some she could do, perhaps in preparation for later activities.

"Georgie, would it possible for me to get the use of a computer for some amount of time?"

Marty didn't have to wait long. Soon the man followed him out. "I'm John," he said, offering Marty his hand. When Marty echoed his gesture, he shook it warmly. "So, you want to get involved in what is going on?" he asked.

"Yeah," Marty said. "Like I said in there, I'm tired of them pushing us around."

"You ready to work for that position?"

"Position?" Marty asked, wondering what that was.

"The position as a member of Earth's army, of course," the man said. "We're only taking the sincere."

"What do I have to do to earn that?" he asked, frowning a little.

"Be at the back door at midnight," John said, "and I'll tell you.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Georgia blinked and nodded. "Alright," she said simply. Turning, she led Yseult to a small office. Shoving papers aside, she made a place for Yseult to sit and work. Some paper and colored pens mollified Monique for a while, and Yseult got to work.

Some of the data she couldn't access - the files were formated for specialized programs that Georgia just didn't have on her machine. But she was able to make a start of it.

Click to reveal..
Please roll your Medicine and Biology skills.

Yseult suppressed a frown. She had most of the programs she needed on her external, solid state hard-drive, but the computer didn't not have the processing power to run the majority of them, not with enough ability to make them useful. Still, there was plenty for her to review, her eyes scanning text and images with uncanny speed and intensity.

What she could study, along with what she remembered from the autopsy, did yield some remarkable insights. The stunning similarity to normal human genetics seemed to make the differences in the Jaffa stand out that much more in contrast. The parasite however was more difficult to study, mostly by inference from what she could from the alien soldier with its artificial incubator in the chest cavity.

She kept another window open with photos of her family, and placed a perforated cup of pens and pencils tight against the door. She wanted warning and a plausible cover in case anyone disturbed her. There could be dire consequences if the wrong people caught a glimpse of the data, even if they could not decipher it all.

Walking back in side Marty went back over that exchange. Was it really this easy? Again he tried to imagine how these people thought. Not knowing until yesterday about the snakes. Walking back up to the rooms he opened Yseult's door and looked in the room. No one had been here in a bit. He frowned suddenly a little paranoid and looked up and down the hall way. Watching and listening for any sign of Jaffa.

She probably went to find some food too. If you start jumping at everything your going to draw attention.

Snapping him self out of it he closed the door and walked back to the front. Spotting Georgie he put on his best smile and approached her.

"Georgie I was looking for Yseult I wanted to make sure she was still feeling ok."

"Well isn't that kind of you. She is doing some work in the office." Georgie indicated a door.

Marty nodded. "Thank you ma'am. Listen I don't know how long I will be around but tomorrow if I have time I wouldn't mind helping out around here. Repay you guys for your efforts however I can." With that he walked to the door. Again without knocking or showing any of the standard "human" etiquette he simply opened the door and walked in. He looked to the floor at the odd sounds that had been made and pondered over the container and all the small rods that were sprawled about.

Closing the door behind him he bent down and started collecting the rods back in to the container as he spoke.

"I may have found the military but I can't be too sure. It is a little risky but I am meeting with them tonight at midnight, want to come along? I wouldn't mind someone who could cover my slip ups when I make them. Still new to this whole earthling thing and all."

Yseult was so engrossed with her research that she almost missed the sound of the scattering pens and pencils. She smoothly brought up the full screen view of family photos she had kept open in the background and turned to look over a slender shoulder to see who had joined her in the small office without knocking.

Yseult raised a brow, watching Marty collecting her impromptu warning system, then raised it further as he mentioned his meeting and request for her to accompany him. She was surprised that he seemed to have found contact so quickly. She had thought he had been acting reasonably as a native, but the curious cock to his head as he refilled the cup with pens and pencils had her beginning to doubt her previous assessment.

"This seeming rather... serendipitous, yes?" Yseult turned to look at her daughter, brushing a hand through her dark hair, and glancing at the picture Monique was drawing. It seemed to be an elaborate hallway with trapezoidal arches and hieroglyphic-type pictures on the wall. "If I can find someone to keep a close eye on my daughter, Georgie perhaps, then oui, I will be willing to join you at this clandestine meeting."

Yseult nonchalantly disconnected her hard drive from the computer, systemically eliminating any traces she left behind. "These Jaffa," Yseult asked in a softer voice, "what can you be telling me of them, and their connection? Relationship? Dependence? On the goa'uld."

Marty put the container on a shelf and looked at her.

"They are soldiers. Bred to fight and be loyal. They are also incubators for young Goa'uld. The symbiont gives them longer life and faster healing, it also replaces their immune systems making them dependent on the symbiont. That is most of what I know except their tactics.

You will need to forgive me Yseult, I am a engineer and a fighter. My knowledge tends more towards the technical sciences and how best to beat your opponent. I am not a scientist. Also you will be hard pressed to find a scientist among the Jaffa. Their culture is built to serve their gods so they do not concern them selves with how things work. The Goa'uld keep the knowledge to them selves to make sure no one can ever rival their power.

As to this meeting it does seem convenient. I thought perhaps it was just how your people act but your suspicion has raised mine. I wish I could go in to this with a Zat'nik'tel. Still, it may be best for us to play fate for the time being. Getting in to a situation is the hard part, getting out again is easy and what I am good at." He smiled at her.

"Go ask Georgie about watching your little one, meet me down in the front at 11:45."

Yseult nodded along as Marty revealed what he knew of the Jaffa. Most of that she had learned or inferred from her study. With hindsight, rapid recovery was a logical conclusion, though the extended lifespan was a bit of a surprise. She could see them being a peak health to the end of their years, but she would have though the compromised immune system would tax their organs to a greater degree, wearing them out quicker, resulting in a shorter lifespan.

Keeping the Jaffa ignorant made sense for slave soldiers, though that made it hardly any less repugnant. Still, despite being exposed to a constant high-tech society and choosing to remain ignorant, the Jaffa themselves bore some of the burden for their slavery.It seemed to be almost willing, and perhaps for the majority of them, it was. They were as much enemies as their masters, until she was shown different.

"I will go finding Georgie, to see if she is willing to do this thing, and then I will see you there at the appropriate time. Or not, as the case may be. Venez ici, ma petite." Yseult gathered up her daughter, along with her security blanket, a handful of coloured pens and some extra paper, and went looking for Georgia once more, hoping she could find a babysitter while she attended an Alien Resistance meeting.

Yseult's soft chuckle was almost hysterical.

As the time drew close Marty went to the front and waited. He had spent the rest of the day watching the patrols. Noting their frequency and number. Going through his head any way to get his hands on some weapons. There were just too many. His mind raced with ideas. He knew they had to wait until Ra left but that still bothered him. Even after he saw to control of this planet passing to Baal how could he be sure that Baal would up hold his side of the deal. What would happen to the planet? Did Marty even care?

Have you grown to consider others lives just like them?

But what could he do to alter their fate? There was time to figure that out. It made no difference if they didn't take care of the situation at hand. Seeing the clock he collected his few things and walked downstairs. As soon as Yseult appeared he nodded to her and waited for the next patrol to move past.

"Once we are out back at the meeting point we need to stay as quiet as possible. We can not risk the Jaffa spotting us before our friend arrives."

She nodded and he quickly moved outside and around. Keeping a hold of her arm he moved as quietly as he could. Constantly looking around to make sure no one was paying attention to them. In his head he ran through possible scenarios of what could happen to them and what he could do if it did.

Yseult and Marty only waited a short time before a form exited the house and approached them. Marty recognized John quickly, even though his features weren't clear until he'd gotten away from the shadows. He approached them, hands in pockets. "Hey there," he said easily, and tossed them thick, black bags. "You've seen the movies," he said as a smile played over his lips. "You know what to do."

Quietly, he waited expectantly.

Dressed in brown and dark grey, and a pair of running shoes with incongruously pink laces, Yseult stood peering in the dark, pondering the wisdom of what she was doing. She had just found her daughter after a nightmare of several days, and now she was planning on attending a meeting of dubious validity in the hopes of finding a forming Resistance. That may or may not ever be in any position to help her recover the rest of her family. Qu'est-ce que je fais ici?

The man approached them out of the shadows, only Marty's seeming familiarity keeping her from being startled. At the proffered sacks of dark clothe, Yseult raised an elegantly incredulous eyebrow, and sniffed with disdain. "Vraiment? You are being truly serious about this?" she challenged, shaking the bag at him.

John's faint smile faded into a neutral line, and he nodded with a hard seriousness. "We're really serious about this, ma'am."

Yseult gave him a direct, dark-eyed stare, then sighed. "Very well," she complied derisively. She turned the sack inside out, shook whatever particles she could from it, then shared a glance with Marty. With a sigh, she carefully placed the bag over her head, the darkness of night turning absolute.

Marty watched the exchange. When Yseult put the bag over her head Marty frowned. Looking between her and John.

"I just want you to remember in the future John I started our relationship on faith." With that he pulled the bag on. In his head already plotting every course these events could take and what he could do to keep him and Yseult safe.

"Now what?"

"Now just relax," John said, the very wrong words to say to people who are nervous and upset about what is happening to them. "I'm going to lead you to a truck, and then we're going to take a ride. At the end of that ride, you'll get to meet a gentleman who's going to ask you some questions. If he likes you, you'll receive further instructions. If not, you'll be returned to a neutral location and released." They heard him walk forward, and then they each felt a hand on their arm. "Still wanna do this?"

"Yes, we do. Take us to the truck John." Marty's voice was calm. In fact he was feeling pretty good about this. He may not know the taur'i's culture very well but he knew the Goa'uld. They would never feel the need to use these kind of tactics so he was now certain they were truly dealing with a organization from this planet. Now he just needed to make sure he got in to it.

"We'll bring you back close to here," John assured her. "We want to throw you off, not fuck you up... er, mess you up, ma'am."

They were led to a truck and John helped them climb into the bed. When they laid down, he put a tarp over the two of them. Under the cover of the tarp, Yseult tugged the bag off. Marty did the same after a moment, and they watched each other in the darkness, bound by their circumstances. Attempts to peek out under the tarp showed only dark buildings and trees, blurred by the night and their speed. When the truck slowed and stopped, they pulled their hoods on again.

John pulled them out and marched them carefully over broken ground. Somewhere nearby, water gurgled. "You can take them off," John said, and the two removed their hoods.

A man stood before them, looking closely at them. He was older and balding slightly. "I'm Abrams," he announced, giving no further name or rank. He was dressed in ordinary clothing, but was in classic at-rest stance. He bearing further marked him as military. "Why are you two here?"

Marty considered the question for a minute. It seemed a bit odd considering the situation.

"We are here to fight the threat presented by the Goa'uld. I am Marty Stoker, this is Dr. Yseult. I was told this was the place to come for those who wanted to do something. So do we pass?"

Marty held Abrams gaze. He had never been in any official military but being a bounty hunter still bred a particular type of person.

"Monsieur Abrams, the extraterrestrials, they are having my husband and son. I am intending to be having them back, yes?" Yseult's French accent lent her high voice a surprising hardness. "I am needing help to do this, and I willing to do what I am able to do in turn. The extraterrestrials, they are making a mistake causing my family grief, and I am wishing to return it."

Yseult studied Abrams coolly, though her small hands gripped her pants tightly. He was military she was sure, but she was a civilian and made no apologies for that.

"So you want to play with the big boys?" Abrams asked Marty, his tone curt. "Think you're some kind of hero? You'll change your mind when they blast a hole in your chest the size of your head."

He turned to Yseult. "And you're in it for revenge. Do you have any idea what you're getting into? Ever been in a real war?"

He snorted. "I doubt either of you has what it takes."

Yseult's obsidian-like eyes stared balefully with furious pique, her stunning visage cold, lips compressed to a thin, angry line. She had been under considerable stress and this man's dismissive arrogance frayed her last nerve.

"Have you, monsieur? You Americans, pfft! Your military, its record in the recent, and not so recent, past has been laughable, not to say morally and ethically suspect, if not reprehensible. You attack poor, third world countries under little provocation or manufactured evidence, and still are failing at achieving your objectives despite overwhelming military superiority. We should be asking you if you have what it takes to resist a superior force."

The petite, beautiful scientist stepped closer until she was glaring up at him, a dainty finger poking Abrams in the chest. "True, I have not being involved in a war of men and their pride, tanks and guns. But I am being in a war of another sort. I fought Alzheimer's. And won. Unfortunately, it was too late for my father. So perhaps you should not question my motivations until you are seing my results, yes?"

Yseult crossed her arms beneath her breasts, but gave no ground. "As well, I have performed an autopsy on one of these 'Jaffa' soldiers and removed one of the alien parasites from the neck of a Canadian soldier. Armies, they are needing support staff, yes? Confronting an enemy that is consisting of genetically modified humans and alien parasites that can usurp the human body, are you thinking having the aid of the world's foremost genetic biologist is being of some use?"

Yseult stepped back to stand beside Marty, foot tapping with impatience and worry. Her thumb spun her wedding ring around her finger.

Marty had been about to answer when Yseult started speaking. He couldn't help but smile a little as the small woman faced down the man. The anger he had felt faded through her verbal attack. If only he could just tell this man exactly what qualified him. Once she was done Marty looked from her back to Abrams.

"Pleasantries aside Abrams I don't think you are going to turn us away just yet. So lets get this over with, either we are going to pass what ever little test you guys have set up or we fail and you throw us back out there to deal with the Goa'uld and the Jaffa in what ever way we can.

"Fine, ma'am, you're in," Abrams said, his lips twitching. He didn't seem put out by her assault. He seemed somewhat amused, which only made it worse for Yseult.

Turning to Marty, he asked, "You seem like an impatient fellow. Do you have what it takes to be in the Resistance? I don't mean the army. I mean, do you have the ability to go the distance, even when things look bleak and terrifying?"

Marty shrugged slightly.

I have spent ten cycles preparing to be a one man army against the greatest power in the galaxy. Things aren't bleak yet?

That probably wasn't the best thing to say. He considered for a moment.

"My family is dead sir. I do not say that like I am out looking for some great revenge. I am not going to lose control in anger or depression. I say that as to inform you that is what the Goa'uld have cost me. I would rather they not cost anyone else that. We are facing a force that looks like it can take us out of existence because we sneezed at the wrong time. Things are bleak and terrifying. I am still here, and ready to do my part any way I can."

He straightened up slightly. His voice had stayed calmer then he truly felt at the moment.

"In fact, I may be able to provide some help. A friend of mine was taken on to the ship at Cheyenne. I was told by one of their people if I went back tomorrow I could possibly see him. He is smart, he has probably managed to collect some info on their ships by now." He looked to Yseult.

"If you told me what your husband and son looked like I might even be able to find out what happened to them." He looked at the three and waited to see what they thought of the idea.

Yseult considered the two sharply, debating with herself if she trusted them enough to tell them what her husband and son looked like. But staying silent, she would be no closer to finding them, so she took the chance. Woe to them if they betrayed her however.

"My husband, François, he is six feet and two inches tall, two hundred and five pounds of weight, with a trim waist and broad shouldered, very fit physique. His hair, it is short, but not being military short, a light brown. Very handsome, I am saying this objectively," she qualified at their rolling eyes, "with a strong nose and piercing green-grey eyes. Very nice lips, he is smiling easily." Yseult smiled introspectively, picturing her beloved husband in full detail.

"My 'tit Loric, he is six years of age, three feet and ten and a half inches tall, forty-two pounds. He is looking like his father, with hair down to his shoulders, more blond than brown. He is always smiling, his eyes a bright, light blue, apple-cheeked and... very exuberant."

She peered up at Marty, a finger tapping her lips. "If it is possible, I would like to be accompanying you to meet your... friend. It will be better if I can ask him about people he has seen, to sift through possible suspects, yes?"

Marty just looked at her. He was slightly stunned. He knew she could not even imagine what she was suggesting. However there wasn't much he could do to explain that here. He had to play the role of knowing as little as the rest of them. Well he had stated earlier getting out of situations was his strength.

"It is true, would be easier to spot her family if she was along. I doubt they would just tell me I can't see my friend just because I brought a friend along."

He looked back to the two military men. "So hows about it Abrams? Let me prove my worth with deed and not word?"

"Fine," Abrams said softly. "Get your information, and go back to Georgia's. You'll be approached there. Ma'am, a word with you?"

Yseult blinked, then nodded. Abrams led her to one side and said, "We could use you and your information right now, tonight. I don't want to lose you to the enemy, just in case this man is lying to us."

"Why would he lie, if he can't get inside the ship?" Yseult whispered back.

"Oh, I'm not worried about him getting in. I'm worried about him getting you in and then compromising you. We need what you have, desperately." Abrams looked at her levelly, willing her to see the truth in his words.

Yseult studied Abrams intently, then shot Marty a covert, sidelong glance. She desperately wanted to accompany Marty, anything that would bring her closer to her family was a priority, but she very much understood the need to share her information. Rather than research laboratories hoarding their results, everyone working on the alien threat would be better off sharing everything they could learn.

"Yes, the information, it is important that it is shared, yes? I will go with you and share everything that I have learned. Un moment, 's'il vous plait, a minute, please." Yseult approached Marty, head bent to look in her purse. She pulled out a thick, styling wallet, swiftly searching through her pictures before pulling one out of its sleeve. Her dark eyes lingered on it for a long moment, thumb sliding across the surface before she handed it to Marty. Glancing at it, Marty saw it was a picture of Yseult's husband and son together, identical broad grins on their faces.

"My family, find news of them for me. Please."

Marty took the picture. Glancing at it for a moment he pocketed the picture and nodded to her.

"I swear I will find them. The next time you see me I will have news of them for you." Marty glanced at Abrams before dropping his voice to barely a whisper.

"Listen this is risky even for just me. If I don't come back, make sure they don't get themselves killed before they accomplish something. Once the Goa'uld take their main force away from the planet tell them to find the chappa'ai. They can use it to get to other planets and steal tech from the Goa'uld."

Marty gave her a pat on the shoulder before turning and walking to John. "I guess its time to head back. I assume you want me to use a bag?"

"Both of you, please," John said with a grin. At Yseult's glance, he said, "You want to go back for Monique, yes?" At her nod, he stepped forward and handed her a bag. "Then let's get her."

Yseult and Marty were remasked and John helped them back into the bed of the truck. Once they were in motion, the two took off their hoods again, trying to trace their route. This time, they were sure he went a different way, and he back tracked at least twice. Under the tarp, it was hard to tell.

Back at the boarding house, John let them out. "We're leaving," he told the young scientist, and Yseult hurried toward the building. Marty turned to follow when John stopped him. "If you betray Georgia to the enemy, I'll kill you myself." He broke into a sunny, sharp-edged smile and clapped him on the back. "Have a good evening."

Yseult strode into the bed and breakfast briskly, stretching to take the stairs two at a time. Her breasts rose and fell with her exertion as she tapped lightly on the door of the room Georgia had kindly granted her, then walked in, eyes immediately searching for her daughter.

Yseult let out a sigh of relief as she saw Monique asleep on the bed, her face calm, bundled up in the covers. Yseult stopped to brush the fine, black hair from her face and kissed her on her smooth brow, then stepped quietly over to Georgia, who was sitting at the small table, looking at some papers under the muted light of a desklamp.

"Georgie, I am thanking you for your kindness, and for looking after my daughter, very much," Yseult said as she sat across from the other woman, giving her hands a squeeze in gratitude. "But... I - we will be leaving toute suite, immediately. There are... mutual friends, yes? Mutual friends that I will be aiding, as I can, and they are requiring that I go with them."

Yseult stood back up and gathered her few belongings, little more than her stuffed purse and a small pack that Georgia had given her, filled with a few extra bits of clothing for her and Monique, and a limited amount of toiletries. Then, with infinite care, Yseult woke her daughter, soothing her slumberous protests.

"It is being okay, ma belle, maman est ici," Yseult assured her daughter, giving a fierce hug, then getting her dressed for going outside. "We are just going on a small trip with another man, so Maman can get help finding Papa et Loric, okay?" Monique gave her muzzy assent, picking up a plastic bag filled with paper and pens, her other hand holding the grey blanket Yseult had found her in close.

Yseult took the plastic bag from her daughter, replacing it with her hand, thanked Georgia once more, then led her daughter outside and to wherever John planned on taking them.

Marty just smiled and patted John on the shoulder.

"Relax John, I promise you I am one of the good guys. I will return to Georgie's and wait for you after I have some information. Keep an eye on Yseult. She is a good person."

With that he went in side. Waiting for Yseult to leave he found Georgie.

"I know this is asking a lot of you miss, but would there be any way I could get a ride back to the mountain tonight? I am looking in to a few things for John."

Georgia gave both mother and daughter a hug, then made Yseult wait until she'd packed a quick meal for her. "I don't know how long you'll be on the road," she explained softly as she quickly made a ham sandwich for Yseult and peanut butter and jelly sandwich for Monique. She added a bag of chips to each paper bag and topped it off with a grocery bag with four sodas in them.

"There. That should hold you over for a little while," Georgia said as she followed them outside. She turned a mock-threatening glare at John, who was leaning against his truck, waiting. "And you be sure to stop if they need to eat! These young ladies can't go forever like you military men can."

"Yes, ma'am," John said, grinning. He grew more serious. "I'll get her there, sure enough."

Georgia nodded firmly then smiled at Yseult again. "It was good to meet you. Take care, dear."

Yseult promised she would, as she loaded a still-sleepy Monique into the truck. Then John turned over the engine, and they left the bed and breakfast behind.

Marty watched them leave, then followed Georgia in and made his request. "Um, it's very late," she said softly. "You know, you could just borrow our van." She started to go for the keys.

"I don't know how to drive," Marty confessed. When Georgia looked at him, he added, "I never learned."

"Oh, well. If you can wait until morning, we'll be running back up there," she told him.

"Please come and get me then," he said, nodding. His business could wait until morning.

"It'll be at seven," she told him, then bid him good night and finally went to her bed.

Archived