World of Darkness: Attrition - Social Networking [Complete]

Logic1

The last rays of sun dipped low beneath the horizon. Johnathan began to stir lightly beneath his 300 thread count Egyptian Cotton sheets. He knew they should feel incredible against his rapidly warming body, recalled how they used to feel. Instead they just...felt.

The control on the nightstand called to him and he answered the call yet again. He casually sat the remote on his chest and pushed one button absently with his index finger, "let there be light" he commanded. The artificial light filled the room. Johnathan pushed the remote off of his chest and threw both legs over the edge of his ostentatious bed. He rolled his neck as the unlife finished returning to him.

Having risen Johnathan walked to his closet and pulled on a pair of jeans. He ran a hand through his hair and made the usual checks of his domicile. Current magazines and newspaper? Check. Non-spoiled food in the fridge and pantry? Check. No stray vampire artifacts? Check. Appearances. Another of his sire's lessons. The only thing as important as the company you keep...and remembering to feed.

His routine complete Johnathan set about tonight's business. He'd made a promise and one thing he did was keep promises. He reached for his phone as he returned to his bedchamber. Walking through his condo he scrolled through his phone. Who to call? August needed work. He sat on his couch, legs crossed and continued to scan.

"Perfect" he mused aloud. He dialed Gabe a writer/director he knew from a recent film premiere he'd put together. They'd hit it off. Johnathan wouldn't have it any other way.

"Gabe, John...good, good. Listen buddy, I got a line on a great new talent I think you'd like to meet...right...of course. I'll keep you posted." Johnathan broke the connection. He grinned pleased with himself and the situation.

He stood and walked to the window. With one hand he parted his curtains with the other he dialed August. "August? It's Johnathan. I have news" he made certain to let an air of pleasure and surprise creep into his voice.

August pushed just a little harder on the pedals, and was rewarded by the little red number on the MPH meter rise a little. Of course, she was punished by strain on her muscles, but that was the point. The gears on the cycling machine tightened some more and August grunted with each push as it went into uphill mode.

The shrill ring of her phone brought her to a stop. She was grateful for the excuse to stop her torture for a moment. Snatching up her phone, she grinned widely. "Hey, Johnathan," she panted. "What do you have?"

Phone pressed against his ear Johnathan scanned the horizon. He watched those below as the went about the hustle and bustle they called life. Time to deliver.

"I just spoke with a director friend of mine. He's the independent type, everything above board I assure you, but he'd like to meet you" he released his hold on the curtains and turned his bare back to the window "nothing certain yet, but he's always working on something."

John hoped she'd be pleased with his preliminary findings. It was a start.

It wasn't as much as she'd hoped for, but August was still happy. Meeting the right people meant meeting everyone, because you didn't know who was the right person and who wasn't until after the fact. "Sure," she said, slowly starting to catch her breath. "Where and when?"

Leaning against the railing in the gym, she pulled a towel out of her bag and pressed it to her face. Her routine was broken; she might as well pack it in. Bending, she dropped the towel back in the bag and gathered the straps, lifting it.

Johnathan smiled to himself. He didn't want to give up too much too soon. He'd start slow with Gabe and they would go from there. After all he couldn't have her harm his social standing which was also the source of his livelihood. If worst came to worst he could just tell anyone who asked, and they would, that August was simply another notch in the belt.

"I'm sure I can have him here shortly, or we can meet on neutral ground if you'd like" Johnathan laughed "he's an up-and-comer just like you and I'm sure you could do wonders for one another" he reassured her as he walked back to his closet. He threw the door open and selected a nice white button down shirt. Throwing it on the bed he continued, "so what do you say pretty lady?"

Again, not what August had hoped for, but she reminded herself that such things took time. "Alright, that sounds good, but where is 'here'? And I just left the gym, so I'll need a bit of time to get cleaned up and meet you wherever."

As she spoke, she headed out of the gym, ignoring the ghost that hung out on the street corner. The homeless man was always there, day after night. His body was twisted and crushed, and August suspected he'd died from being struck by a car. "Lady," he called her to, just like he did. "Lady, have you seen my dog? Where's my dog?"

August hardened her heart, shivering away when he tried to touch her. At first, she'd cried at his plaintive pleas for his missing pet, but she hadn't in a while. She'd seen him for years, and he'd been begging her for his dog for years. If she thought about, she'd go crazy.

"West Hollywood" he replied cooly and switched to speaker phone "I'll let the doorman know you're coming" he slid on his shirt as he relayed his address. He deftly buttoned his shirt and ran a hand through his hair.

"Take your time" he told her as he checked himself over, "Gabe's been working the indie film festival circuit lately. You should see his address book. There's a huge interest in him and I think we could both capitalize...not to mention he's just a good guy. Give you the shirt off his back literally. Long story" he laughed a low contemplative laugh.

"I'll be there soon," August promised. "Thanks, Johnathan - I'll see you soon." Hanging up, she got into her car and drove home. There she showered rapidly, and hurriedly picked an outfit. Then she took time getting ready, determined to look great for this Gabe. When she was satisfied, she headed for West Hollywood, trying to quell the butterflies in her stomach.

The echo of excitement overtook Johnathan. He made for the bathroom to finish prep. Still making use of the speakerphone he called the front desk "yes, I'm expecting company. Gabe you've met. The other is a first time visitor but I get the impression she's versed in penthouse protocol...August Turner."

As he returned to his living room he tugged at his cufflinks, a habit carried over from his life as one of the kine. Better hit Gabe back he thought as he pulled his phone from the holster.

"Yeah John again. August's on her way so get your ass over here..." he laughed into the phone, "right on" it seemed everyone was on their way.

Something about August made him almost eager to see her again. True she was attractive, but more than that she was intriguing. A beautiful actress who sees ghosts. How often was it that you ran into such a specimen? Johnathan threw his head back on the couch and recalled the events of their last encounter. It was then that his reverie was ended by the ding of the elevator. He didn't rise as the elevator opened into what served as his entryway anyway.

"Gabe! How the hell are ya? You know your way around. Help yourself to anything" the social mogul gestured freely about his domicile.

"Nice suit" he remarked in response to Gabe's attire as he gave him the once over.

"I'm just trying to keep up with you" Gabe joked a winning smile spread across his face. The director reached up to brush a lock of hair from his face.

"Don't hurt yourself" Johnathan countered.

August stepped out of her car, handing the keys to the valet. She gave him enough of a tip that he'd take good care of her car. After a pause to peer in the mirror for a last check on how she looked, she headed for the elevator. The doorman questioned her, and she explained who she was and was admitted. She explained again at security, who directed her to the elevator and then keyed the code from the desk that granted her entrance.

Riding up, doubt assaulted her. Nervously, August chanted, "I am a star. I am a star." The elevator pinged, and she shut up right as she snapped her perfect smile on her face. "Hi," she said as the doors opened and she stepped out, approaching the two men. Extending her hands to Johnathan, she received a kiss on each cheek, giving him a kiss on each of his at the same time. It was the traditional Hollywood greeting.

Smiling, she turned to the other man. "You must be Gabe," she added.

John leaned forward phone in his hand answering an email when he was nearly startled by the sound of the elevator opening yet again. Out stepped August, she looked exquisite, as was to be expected. Leaving his phone on the table he made his way to the new arrival.

"Well hello. Good to see you again," he said as he made his way to August. He took both of her hands into his and kissed her on each cheek making sure to linger a little on each. He stepped back and held her at arm's length taking her in visually. "You look incredible," he complimented.

Smiling, she turned to the other man. "You must be Gabe," she added.

"Indeed I am," Gabe answered hands in his pockets. "It's a pleasure," he extended his hand to her and repeated the greeting ritual.

"Can I get you anything? Make yourself at home. Gabe always does," he joked coolly as he threw out his most wry grin. Gabe gave him a small push on the shoulder as he laughed in return.

Johnathan led August to the common area and motioned to the couch where he sat next to her. Close but not too close. The young director took a seat on a smaller love seat across from the pair a small glass coffee table between them with a file folder on it.

"So let's talk film," Gabe tossed into the aethers. "What's your experience," he queried of the young actress as he leaned back legs crossed one arm laid across the back of the love seat.

There he was again, invading her space, just far enough to notice but not far enough to complain. This time, things were a bit different; there was Dec, after all, and his presence in her life was sure to complicate the necessary flirting that an actress had to do to get work. She'd have to talk to Dec about it if things got more serious. For now, she smiled at Johnathan and made no effort to move.

Instead, she focused on Gabe. "I've done bit parts, mostly in crime dramas, with a supporting role in Wings of Fire and the lead role in Three Rings of Death." Despite the normal twinge of shame she felt for Three Rings, she didn't react with as much embarrassment this time. Gabe was in the biz, he understood that sometimes, you did horrible things to pay the bills - like co-star with a demon-possessed lion. "Currently, I'm not acting, per se - it's a reality ghost hunting show. I was hired because I can work a camera as well as be expressive. I know it's kinda odd, but it's work for now."

"Okay, standard fare. Any formal training?" Gabe inquired of the young actress. He shifted his weight forward and placed his elbows on his thighs, hands folded. He examined August further as he spoke. Johnathan sat on the periphery and watched the two interact. It was almost as if he were drinking in the meeting.

"Oh that show where you piss of the supernatural," Gabe winked. "I thought I recognized your face. I'm not a regular watcher but I'm familiar...that's no place for you. No offense. I realize you've gotta keep the lights on though. It's good to see you're not resting on your laurels. Not happy to settle," he praised lightly.

Johnathan leaned forward in a fashion similar to his friend. "You heard the lady. She's got skill behind the camera too. The resume grows. Does it not?" Johnathan inserted and flashed Gabe a grin. He turned to August and smiled as he looked into her eyes.

Click to reveal..
Rolling Awe

Presence+Expression+Majesty=3+2+2-1(two targets)=6 dice

1d10=4 1d10=4 1d10=8 1d10=9 1d10=10 1d10=3

popping 10 1d10=7

3 sux

"Indeed it does," Gabe bounced the banter back. "So tell me more August. What are you looking for by way of work?"

She met Johnathan, keeping up her pleasant smile, prepared to keep on his good side. What she wasn't prepared for was her stomach to lurch, causing her breath to catch in her throat. Swallowing, she reminded herself to breathe, and she felt her smile become something far warmer than pleasant.

"I've had formal acting classes," August said, smiling at Gabe. Johnathan was a too-handsome distraction next to her. "I went to the Acting Corps, and took their four-week program, the Actor's Bootcamp. I got an invitation to go to Bootcamp II, but wasn't able to raise the money for the second round." She didn't add that this was because she had the money management skills of a three year-old. She'd managed to come up with it later, but had been working regularly enough that she didn't have time for the eight-week course.

Gabe's remarks about not settling only raised her hope. She liked working with Cal, but if Dec was right about the danger of her work, then getting out was the right move. Thoughts of the handsome werewolf seemed oddly... pale in comparison to the incredible man next to her, and August cast another glittering smile on Johnathan.

"Honestly," she added to the independent producer, "I want to work as an actress, and I'd like to do a wide scope of things so I don't get typecast. I certainly don't want to become the 'Ghost Lady'." The two men chuckled. "Maybe something with a strong female lead," August said, musing a little. "Something that will really let me dig into a role and become the part."

August's warm smile pleased Johnathan deeply. He really knew how to turn on the charm. Her performance with Gabe impressed him. She was good. Poised, confident, and endlessly charming. She'd even almost spoken proudly about Three Rings of Death.

"It's too bad you couldn't make it to the second round," said Gabe. "And don't worry, I don't dig on the ghost stories. I don't foresee many of those coming from this camp," he waved off the notion casually.

Johnathan kept his smile on his face as he observed the dialogue. If only he knew...she's already the ghost lady he thought to himself. "Strong female lead, sounds like you need to get writing," Johnathan joked with a nod.

Gabe reached for the folder on the table and flipped through it's contents nonchalantly. "I always am," he said in all seriousness over the top of the folder. "I'd like to keep in touch August. I have something in mind for you but I'd have to consult with some other people...do a little research. Here's my card," he stood and handed her a black business card, rounded on two of the corners and made of thin translucent plastic.

She took the card, her fingers tracing the edge of it as she thought for a moment. "I was hoping to learn what work you've done as well," August said, hoping she wasn't insulting the writer by not already knowing about him. He shouldn't be insulted; didn't mean he wouldn't be. "Johnathan hasn't said much about you to me."

She really hoped she hadn't gotten Johnathan in trouble. She gave him a slight smile, but it turned into a long stare. Gabe's reply to her question broke her trance, leaving her shaken and wondering why her hormones were running away with her.

Johnathan returned her smile and turned in toward her slightly as her spoke. "I didn't want to do your work for you," he said playfully. "I had a feeling you'd figure it all out on your own," a sly grin spread across his face.

The young director nodded, a look on his face that was somewhere between satisfied and impressed. "My last film was called All City Kings. It's about two celebrated graffiti writers. Superstars in the underground world of the Mission District. After a run in with the law they find their lives spinning out of control with explosive consequences. It's the one John arranged the premier for," he explained.

"I'll be right back," Johnathan chimed in. He walked from the room into what could be assumed to be his bedroom. Returningly shortly DVD in hand he strolled over to August and sat back down on the couch crossing his legs in the same motion. He offered over a DVD copy of the movie.

"Why thank you John," Gabe said with an overly embellished bow.

"Just playing my part," John replied.

August nodded, feeling a touch of excitment - and not about Johnathan, though that was there when their fingers brushed over the DVD. She could feel the blood rise in her cheeks, even as she wondered why. Johnathan was very, very handsome, moreso than Dec in many ways, but he was just a man. While August would never confess this, Declan's status as a werewolf did add to her fascination with him; he was special, unique.

"Thank you," she said to Johnathan, managing to keep a wanton purr out of her voice. She looked to Gabe and promised, "I'll watch this soon." Maybe curled up on the couch with a friend. The thought held appeal and the potential of more than one friend, and August wondered what was wrong with her. Johnathan was hot, like a volcano, but Declan held that masculine, primal appeal. Plus he'd saved her life and he definitely liked her. Johnathan she wasn't so sure about.

She wrenched her thoughts back onto the topic. "Anything else I should know, gentlemen?"

"She thinks you're a gentleman," Gabe said feigned surprise in his voice. Johnathan raised a hand to his face in embarrassment.

"Well she did at least," Johnathan shifted on the couch. "Anything else you'd like to go over Gabe?" he questioned. Gabe examined the contents of the folder yet again. He remained silent for quite some time before speaking again.

"No, I think I'm good. It was a pleasure August," he stood and extended his hand to August. Johnathan rose in response his eyes lingering on August for just a moment too long.

After exchanging goodbyes and numbers Gabe made his way to the elevator. "August you got a second?" Johnathan asked.

August had stood with Gabe, but had on some level known what was coming. Swallowing, she nodded, "Sure Johnathan." She felt a tremor of fear or anticipation, or maybe both as Gabe walked past them, flashing Johnathan a bemused smile. August flushed at the implication in that smile, feeling a stirring of anger. She wasn't that kind of girl.

The doors closed on Gabe and safety from the potential danger she felt here. She didn't take her seat again; she moved to the end of the coffee table and said, "What's up, Johnathan?" she asked, her voice casual and calm.

Johnathan didn't return Gabe's smile as he passed. It was clear his assumption had offended August...and Johnathan by proxy. He didn't need his 'friend' making things anymore difficult for him. August wasn't a simple solo conquest. This was the long game to a higher purpose. What that purpose was exactly Johnathan had yet to discern. But she was far too valuable a specimen to let slip away.

"It's getting a bit late and I don't want to keep you," Johnathan began. "I just wanted to say I think that went well," he walked toward the elevator. "I also wanted to ask if you'd like to go out again sometime? I've almost always got an upcoming event and I can use good company. I'm sure you can imagine it gets boring pretending you enjoy people's company night in and out. It's good to be around someone you actually enjoy at these things," he absently scratched his head. "You can also ply some of my acquaintances," he chuckled. "You can network with them and maybe they'll leave me alone," he said jokingly.

Johnathan pressed the call button for the elevator and phoned the desk to have August's car pulled around.

"Well," August said, thinking. Wally would kill her if she said no. "I'm seeing someone, but if you wanted to go as friends, I could do that. I mean, I'd love to go to some of these functions, I really would. I just want to be clear about what we'd be doing, and how."

She prepared herself for Johnathan's reaction, hoping it wouldn't be too bad. Maybe he was just interested in some perks from her career. Maybe, she had been reading him wrong, and he wasn't interested in her on a personal level.

Didn't change the effect he had on her, however.

If he said he weren't a little dejected by August's answer Johnathan would have been lying. He was genuinely shocked at himself. Fortunately he had plenty of time.

"No worries...although that is unfortunate news," he replied a slightly disappointed look on his face. "At any rate I'd still like you to come out with me," he said the smile returning to his face.

"I'd love to," August said, smiling, glad Johnathan wasn't making a big deal out of this. She never ever guessed that he could make her ok with so many things, including convincing her to dump Declan and see only him. Unaware of the danger, she air-kissed his cheek again and said, "Just let me know when and where, ok?"

"You can be certain I'll be in touch sooner than later," Johnathan assured her. This was just the result he'd planned for and been working toward. He returned the kiss placing his hand lightly on her waist as he did so. He returned to his couch satisfied with himself and his progress.

Archived