Jackpoint: Shadow Chatroom [OOC Chat]

Krul

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

which means that we're mostly done, now, as is, with character creation, though I still see some fine tuning to do here and there.

Deirdre & Osiris, as GM, I'd actually like to see some of the details regarding your relationship, if you could include me in the discussions, I'd appreciate it wink

Ooops, had to update Uriel a bit - had forgtten about the Knowledge skills, so that has effected his Active skills as well. Updated his Dossier to reflect the changes - have to rely more on spells for self-defence now wink But then on average he can chuck a Force 6 Manabolt without getting any Drain wink

And now, we're almost down to the wire here, a bit of housekeeping to do on some sheets, but most of you seem ready. And I'm thinking on how I'm going to post Karma, do it the same way I am doing in GL, or attach it to everyone's sheet.

Hey Max, nice looking character, but I got a feeling that you've made the same mistake that I did. Using the Karma point chargen you DON'T get ANY free levels of Knowledge skills/langauges! You have to pay Karma for everything. Hence may recent alterations to Uriel wink

True, but also we appear to be using the SR4A Rules not the SR4 rules, in which case it's Desired Attribute Rating x5 to raise an attribute with Karma, not Desired Attribute Rating x3.

The generator I use calculates everything in BP and in Karma at the same time. Not sure how you guys did yours (Rors, I can't even read yours).

Dave, I did Uriel using the costs in the Runners book, and prices from where I found the Gear - 4th Core, Runners and Arsenal mainly. Put it into an Excel sheet to keep track of the points, which I'll happily send to you if you think I've balls up somewhere.

You say you can't read mine Dave, is that the whole post, the Code, or because I haven't put the points in only the skill rank?

...Sigh.

That's intensely discouraging. Starting to wish we'd just used BP for character generation. It seems like it'd be a lot simpler, mathematically.

Christ...this takes me back to square 1 just about. I need to let this settle before I make any rash decisions.

No.. screw that, leave the XP cost as x3 for attributes, not x5, I don't want to rewrite characters I've already approved. I wanted to use the Karma system, cause I like it better for broader characters, I don't care worth a damn if they changed that.

Well, I wanted to try the Karma system, and it works alright, but I've noticed a number of flaws in it, now that I've given it full reign.. should I do this again, it will be with BPs (basically, if I do another SR game in the future, which I don't plan for, but I suppose could happen, but if it does, it's distant).

Originally Posted By: Deirdre McGuinness
I think your generator did too Dave, because I calculated your Attribute costs at 560 karma (that's including Magic).

The Marko posted is done with Att x3, I have an Att x5 sheet waiting in case Krul mentioned it.

The Att x5 rule is a well needed errata, as it prevents characters from advancing too quickly in their attributes (almost as fast as skills). Personally, I don't care which multiplier we use, but mixing 4 and 4A might get confusing from time to time.

I was planning on beginning here, but I'm going to give folks a bit more time to clean up their characters. I'm also going to encourage some measure of fiction stories, like Marko wrote, so, I'm going to start giving karma for them, as long as they are good and descriptive.

Metatype doesn't cost anything in the karma system (except for some cases, like Drake, or Infected).. I thought everyone was aware of that. If anyone want's to change anything in the light of that, I'm willing to allow it.

See, Vivi, folks still want to play human with it, though I admit, that is a question others have asked. There is one difference though, it costs more karma to raise attributes beyond the human limits. An elf who wants Charisma 8 has to spend 90 karma.. though I admit, a elf to settles for human level attributes has a bit more karma to work with.

Right... It's going to cost more Karma than BP, because Karma = XP. It always costs more XP to raise something than BP/NP/whatever, but you have to remember to take racial maximums into account. It doesn't get extraordinarily pricey until you start talking Aptitudes and whatnot. wink

I've always considered Karma a reward, a measure of a character's progression, just like XP anywhere else- it's not something I'd ever use to actually build a character from scratch, because that's not how I think it's intended to be used. I'm not ripping on you for using the rule, so don't get me wrong. I just don't see a down-side to picking the most beneficial metatype possible right out of the gate, when you aren't paying anything to do so. Sure, you'll spend more Karma later, but that's the way it goes when you're a Troll with a Body of 9. The only "penalty" to playing an Elf or Dwarf, for example is not getting the bonus point of Edge for being human, because there aren't any negatives for those metatypes. (Mind you, since you're only making them pay Rating x 3, I really don't see any sort of penalty or hardship in their progression, either.)

It's the rule application, not the ST, that bugs me. Doesn't make sense, and all things considered, probably not the best way to build a character with all the issues that go along with it (like the Amazing Disappearing Street Cred.) That being said, I didn't mean to hijack your thread with my nattering on, so I'll happily withdraw and let you guys enjoy your game.

Actually, your correct, the Karma system does make it so that really is no downside to picking the most beneficial metatype possible, it makes it a rp decision actually. There are arguments to both sides of that, so do as you like with it.

Of course, sense I'm very likely never going to use this method (except with some serious alterations) again, it's not a matter for future concerns.

That said, let's turn to my players.. It seems to me that everyone but Dale and Oriris are done, is that correct, or do any of the rest of you want to make any changes?

ok - I finished my Charsheet - the only thing missing is a gear list which I'll provide Krul with ASAP (once I've translated it from german to english). But it's nothing of real "worth" or expensive/unusual to obtain.

I hope everything is alright now and the charpic will be added once I get access to my desktop at home and provide you with the link.

Archived