World of Darkness: The Academy - Chapter 2c: The Hunt

Thomas Burke

Jason nods at Ryan, "You got the right idea, but I guess if it was that simple they would have done it rather than agree to the Harvest back in the 70's. Speaking as one of those chosen by this Shovat guy, I intend fighting them as much as possible until we can find a way to stop them getting through to us."

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Jason, stick to strategies that might work instead of name-calling," Thomas says with forced calm.

Is anyone listening to themselves?

"Is is so easy to throw away our perception's of reality for something more ... exciting?"

"Seriously, an interdimensional invastion is planned through our reality centered on our Dalton Academy? Doesn't this strike anyone else as odd - even a bit weird? How easily it boils down to us killing them?"

Thomas looks down at the ground and digs the toe of his shoe into the dirt.

"That being said, this is an elaborate story. It fits in nicely with our schools exotic and mysterious past. It calls for brave and desperate action."

"Find the Portal and destroy it.

Stop the Harvest.

Find and capture Rwen and the Hounds.

Arm ourselves against the return of the Troubles."

"I came here to teach students and to stop them from doing too stupid things. I'm a Teacher for Pete's Sake."

He shakes his head.

"That all being said," comes forth in rapid fire action, "Let's hurry back to my place and get my handgun. Brahn you can keep updating us on the ways of the Caramine - numbers, weapons, tactics. Then tell us how to capture Rwen. Jason, you figure out a plan for the two of us to get her. As you said, I'm no soldier, but I'm a fair shot."

As soon as he can, Thomas starts moving back toward the dorms.

"When we get back to the barracks, those who want to split off can. I envy your ability to say no to the insantiy. Those who don't, find something to arm yourselves with."

"For what it matters, I've thought about talking to the sheriff, but I can't figure a big enough lie to tell them, plus that's another two or three hours of time we'd loose."

"Likewise, we go after Relana first because she's got the most information and is the most valuable target to be captured. As difficult as it is, the other two will make themselves known and be trackable once they do. It's a sucky risk. If they were both together, maybe."

"Oh yeah, we are going to be sticking her in a closet and holding her against her will = Illegal as hell. I suggest Jason's house because it is away from the main campus. Jason?"

"Anything else?"

"Let's not bother wasting time going back to your room, unless it happens to be on the way that Brahn shows us."

He pulls one of his pistols from it's shoulder holster, along with the spare clip and hands over to Thomas

"Here, think you'll be ok with this?"

((OOC it's a Glock in .40 S&W))

"If anyone else thinks they know how to use a pistol I've got one more spare on me." He pulls a smaller Glock from an ankle holster.

Turning back to Thomas as they continue on their way he comments, "You could put her in my place if you want, but I don't think she would be complaining to the police anytime, and I'd be surprised if we manage to take her intact. However, I'm more concerned with the Hounds than her. She'll probably watch to get info, while they seemed too eager to be feeding on human blood."

Sean was about to open his mouth to agree with Ryan's point, but shut it when Jason mentioned his take on it. A look of sheer relief crossed his face when Thomas layed out his plan of action.

"Awesome, now we have a game plan. Let's do this!" Before we think about it too much. Another idea flickers in his eyes. "Hey Brahn, didn't you mention something about Relana might be ransomed? If we take down the hounds first, wouldn't she be more inclined to surrender, thinking she would be ransomed back? We might be able to wring a concession out of the Caramel guys too."

Sean's eyes widen when he sees Jason pull out another gun. Jesus, the groundskeepers are well armed in the States.

"To destroy the door will be awkward, unless one of you has a significant amount of power in Dalton?" Brahn asked. "And destroying the door will not remove the point where bleed-through occurs. It will merely remove your ability to bar it, too. That isn't easy, though has been done, by others, with enough sacrifice.

"Also, your world is riddled with these spots," Brahn continued, gracefully ducking under a branch as he walked. "Caramine might find another way through - at least with the treaty, they weren't looking for thirty-three years. Now that the Shovat has selected some of you, they will come looking for other places to come through." He smiled. "That will make this someone else's problem, certainly. Just allow me to return home first, please."

He stopped, and looked at them, seeing their empty hands. Sighing, he opened his shirt and reached within, pulling out a small blade. "Someone may use my sword, assuming that I get her back, and they pass her test. And I have a knife for someone else."

Micah smiles, "I'm willing to take the Sword's test. But i cannot guarantee that I can personally hand it back to you. I will try my best, but you never know how any confrontation with a blade will go. If I am able to, you will get your sword back." He shrugs, "Do you still wish to lend me your sword, sir? And as for the rest, if we make it too costly for them to take someone, what will the Caramine do? Select someone else, or keep coming at the chosen ones?"

"Thanks for the offer Brahn, but I wouldn't know what to do with a sword, and I only ever used a knife for cutting steak. And I've never even held a gun before. The closest thing I ever used as a weapon was a baseball bat, and that was only to hit baseballs."

Sean raised his hands, knotted in fists. His muscles bulged, the tendons in his arms standing in stark relief. "These should do well enough, I'm a pretty good boxer."

"Well that's good to know," Jason comments to Sean, "but do you really want to take on one of the Hounds with your barehands? They seem to bite real well, as Ryan can testify."

"Brahn, I thank you for your generous offer, but I'll let Micah try the Sword's Test. If he fails then I might try it."

Brahn nodded to Sean and Jason as he pulled his sword, scabbard and all, out and offered it hilt first to Micah. "Pull her," he said softly, nodding. "My advice - don't fight her. Roll with her."

Micah wasn't sure what he meant, but he nodded as he grasped the hilt and pulled the sword.

Click to reveal..
Micah's Composure+Resolve: 1 sux

1d10=5, 1d10=2, 1d10=2, 1d10=8, 1d10=5

It was a normal-enough looking blade, with an image of a snake biting a wolf etched on the blade. The hilt was some dark wood, inlaid with silver decorations. The moment the blade cleared the scabbard, Micah felt a weight on his mind. *What are you?* a feminine voice hissed, and he realized he wasn't hearing it, but thinking it.

"I'm Micah Kamparos," he said, distantly aware that his hands were shaking as he clung to the blade.

*Not your name, fool,* the voice snarled. *What are you?*

"I'm Micah Kamparos"

Sean felt the edge of hysteria enter his thoughts, finally succumbing to the Strangness of the last two days. Okay, he's talking to a sword, why that should bother me more than anything else is beyond me. He shoved the menacing hysteria into a mental corner, and gave it a few (mental) hooks and jabs, warning it to stay there.

He turned to Jason, to take his attention off Micah. Don't go nuts, bud. "I've always thought if you didn't know how to use a weapon, it became a danger to you as well as your opponent. I'll stick with my hands."

"I am many things, but tonight, I am a Hunter." Micah stares at the sword, willing his hand to stop shaking. Micah's voice drops in volume and he whispers, "I am a protector, I am a football player, and I am a student. But tonight, That all goes on the back burner." He looks the blade up and down, gently testing the balance as he does so.

"We are choosing to arm children now ..." Thomas muttered then shook his head.

"Bradh, what happens if the meet-an-greet doesn't go out as planned? Is my boy going to get shocked or something like that? Anyway, were is Relena, and do you think the four, or five, of us are going to be enough?"

Thomas looks to Ryan, knowing that young man has some serious soul searching to do. He can't feel it is his place to ask Ryan to come along, or stay safe. It is a matter of conscience.

There was a pause from the sword before she spoke. *You speak the truth, and know not what you are,* she mused. Micah would have thought that as grumpy as she had sounded before that this would make her angry, but that wasn't the case. *If you wish to weild me, you must sheath me in your heart.*

"What?!"

*You must do it, or you shall not weild me.*

Brahn sighed through his nose at the questions; it was the first sign of exasperation he'd shown tonight. "Relena isn't invincible. If you come at her one at a time, yes, she'll take you down. Team up on her, and she'll fall to you. But you'll take care of the Hounds first - they are infinitely more dangerous to the unarmed members of your school. When they get hungry, they may hunt humans. When Relana gets hungry, she'll seek berries, or animals or trash."

"You make those boys sound like some kind of animals ..."

"... which I take it we are taking you word they are ..."

"... thus being of less valuable to their Shovat."

"Well, I would rather capture, but the student's lives come first."

And we have no chance to counter-check your information, and may will have to kill one of those so-called hounds, damn it, which will tie us even deeper into this nightmare we find ourselves on the precipice of. DAMN IT! I want to learn, not be spoon fed.

Thomas looked around at the students that would soon be sent into a figth enmass because they weren't good enough ... the teachers weren't good enough or prepared enough.

"Brahn, explain the stength and weaknesses of these Hounds. I take it they don't have guns and they've shown no capacity for weapons in our limited experience. What can they do?"

Thomas seems ready, if resigned, to heading out as soon as possible.

Micah stares off into space for a few seconds as he considers something, then he gets an intent look on his face. Without any further discussion and commentary, he reverses his grip on the sword and shoves it into his chest. The pain is searing as the blade passes into his body, but he perseveres, and he sinks it in up to the hilt. After taking a few deep breaths, he removes the sword, wincing as the blade passes through his chest again. Micah falls to one knee, grimacing, as he touches where he should have had a deep perforation in his chest cavity. There is only minimal blood spillage, and no permanent damage, apparently. He begins laughing quietly, but soon the sound of his low laughter begins to reach the ears of everyone around him. "Wow. That hurt... but I'm ALIVE!"

Brahn started to speak, but stopped when Micah stabbed himself. He was unconcerned as the young man went to his knee, nodding when he pulled out the sword. At that point, he spoke to Thomas as if Micah had done nothing unusual. "The Hounds are strong, fast and tough. But they can't climb, so put the weakest up in the trees where they can't get at them and arm them with guns. They have a good bite, but like anything, if you surround them, you can beat them down pretty fast. Five against two will be enough; five against one better. That's why I'm going to try to gain you those numbers."

*Now, we are brother and sister, Micah Steelheart, because I have given you a gift,* the sword said, her voice soft. *I have left a seed of myself in you, and it will grow and you will find it to be a great gift in time. That is my secret to you, and one we don't share with Brahn, hmm?*

WHAT THE HELL!! Micah no!!

Thomas stumbled forward, hand outstretched ready to catch him when he fell over => Dead.

Micah didn't. In fact he seemed thrilled to be alive (good) and had a new sword (not soo good).

Looking to Michah the Sword-wielder,

"Good luck explaining this Mom and Dad, Boyo. I was never here, and I have fifteen leperachauns to back me up."

As Sean turned away from Jason to check on Micah, he saw the intent look on Micah's face, and he knew, just knew, that he was going to do something monumentally stupid. Sean reached out a hand to stop him, but before he had taken more than a single step, Micah had driven the steel blade into his chest.

Sean froze in utter shock. His voice shook, rambled. "Oh my God! Did you see what he just did? He fuckin' went nuts! Crazy! That damn sword made him do it! I'm gonna break it! Then I'm gonna break yo--" Sean's eyes showed white all the way around as he watched Micah pull the sword out, then begin chuckling.

Sean simply stared at the seemingly Mad Micah for a few seconds more. Then he stepped up and slugged him hard enough to send him sprawling, blood dripping from a split lip, still laughing deeply, to himself, and maybe even his damned sword.

"I want a new dorm-mate!"

Before Micah had acted Jason had finally processed something that Brahn had said earlier admist the argument over what to do and he suddenly turned to him, "Hang on Brahn, did you say Beckett? That was my Grandfather, did you know him? How was he messed up in this?"

That was as far as he got before Micah pulled his heart stabbing trick and he turned back to the drama.

"Jesus, Micah, what the hell possessed you to do that! I'm glad you seem to be o..." And then Sean's fist landed.

Jason quickly interposed himself between the two kids, "Back off Sean, he's just stabbed himself in the chest with a sword and survived, he doesn't need you giving him a concussion, although I appreciate your sentiments."

Ryan didn't like were all of this was going. The janitor was ready to go all solider and turn the campus into a battleground, he new teacher was sputtering but nobody paid any attention and the two football players were apparently ready to get violet. Then Micah took the stranger's sword and impaled himself on the blade. Holy crap, ok I'm done ... While their attention was else where Ryan turned and started to creep toward the edge of the clearing. At least that was the idea. Instead he turned and stepped directly on a dry branch. The crack was loud and Ryan knew that he wasn't going to get away without them seeing. He didn't care, he was done here, gun nuts and suicidal football players, strangers with swords and a teacher who exuded all the control of the situation of a Subway manager. No. Thank. You. Ryan took three running steps and leaped up onto the nearest tree. His fingers and flexible shoes found purchase instantly and he was up into the tree and jumping through the branches from tree to tree in seconds.

Click to reveal..

(08:47:03) (Ryan_Jackson): Stealth

(08:47:07) ChatBot: (Ryan_Jackson) rolls 7d10 and gets 3,1,2,7,2,3,1.

Result = 0 sux banghead

(08:50:22) (Ryan_Jackson): Climbing (rote)

(08:50:26) ChatBot: (Ryan_Jackson) rolls 8d10 and gets 6,10,9,9,3,7,6,1.

(08:50:36) ChatBot: (Ryan_Jackson) rolls 5d10 and gets 5,8,5,10,2.

(08:50:43) ChatBot: (Ryan_Jackson) rolls 2d10 and gets 4,6.

Result = 5 sux

Jason hears, and turning quickly, sees Ryan disappearing back into what appears to be his natural element. "Ryan, if your not joining the hunt I'd stay out here up in the trees until morning. It will be safer than going back to the dorms with the Hounds about. Although I can't say where the sword woman might be."

"Jason, all I knew was that he was involved," Brahn said, shrugging. "He was one of the few older than twenty seasons who was; the only one I ever heard mentioned were Wilbur Dalton and a Patrice Allway."

Ryan's botched attempt to sneak away stopped whatever else Brahn was going to add. "Ryan, if you face her, don't fight her," Brahn called after him. "Just surrender, and she'll leave you unharmed. Remain safe."

The stranger seemed genuinely concerned about them. His gaze as he watched Ryan leave was one of worry. Frowning, he turned back to the group. "Anyone else who wants to leave, should now. Before we get much further."

Sean's fists shook, his breathing rapid and barely under control, when Jason placed himself between him and Mad Micah. "I'm done with him Jason, I'm not going to hit him again. We can't afford it... Not now anyway."

As Ryan disappeared into the dark canopy of trees, Sean called up. "If you don't want to fight, that's fine Ryan. But at least keep an eye out, 'kay? If you get chased, try to find us."

"If time is really of the essence, let's move. Let the Hunt begin."

This was insane and he knew it. This was more than insane. He was no combat soldier, or even part-time hunter. He was a Biology Teacher for the love of God.

This is Crazy! This is Crazy! This is Crazy!

"So, how far back do you have to hang to keep your bargain with the Caramine intact?" Thomas said to the air, but his target was clear enough. The gun felt heavy in his hand. Too heavy. It was the largest hand gun he had ever carried and he knew that would mess up his aim. Thomas hoped the others were having less jitters than he was.

Why were they doing this again?

Oh yeah. Eat the student; that was bad.

"I can't engage directly, which is why Micah has my sword," Brahn said. "I'll draw one of the Hounds away. You won't have long to kill the other." Brahn picked up his pace until the others were pushing to keep up with him. After fifteen minutes, he slowed abruptly, holding a slim hand up. "There."

The others looked to where he was pointing; an old barn leaned crazily to the left. They didn't seem to be on campus anymore. "In there," he muttered. "I'm going to draw one off; when you see him leave, get the other. Last chance for questions."

"Two statements: Don't get yourself killed, and I think we are going to try and capture this thing and hand it over to the sheriff. Eveyone understand that. No finishing off a helplessly wounded foe tonight. We are not at war yet and we aren't going to be starting one."

"Now let's go bag us a bad guy."

He hoped he sounded much more confident than he felt. They were about to engage with lethal force something ... something from somewhere else. He didn't trust Brahn totally either. There were plenty of good explainations for giving them one side of a story and leaving the important details out.

What Thomas really needed was more time and more seasoned advice. Jason wanted to get to grips with whatever it was too much. Hell, the man was a walking armory. The rest were just kids and only Ryan had the sense to remain so. Micah and Sean seemed more than willing to rise up and kill something in order to make some point ... to themselves?

And Thomas?

Thomas we too mature to feel drug along in all this. He could have put the kibosh on this anywhere along the line up until the incident with the sword. He hadn't. Secretly, he had wanted this to be real and for this to be something more than a grinding, boring teaching experience.

Well, he looked to be getting his wish.

Sean rolled his shoulders, working out the kinks. He tried to think of this as a competition, no different than a football game. One team had to win, and the other lose. Only, there is no football, and the other side isn't worried about lost yardage from penalties.

Sean stalked forward with what skill he had, shoulders hunched. His storm-tossed eyes where just visible above fists raised in a boxer's stance, his gaze sweeping from side to side. Don't want to get blindsided. With an effort, Sean kept from rushing forward, limbs tense with the effort. Relax, loosen up, Sean. And for God's sake! Stay behind the guys with guns. Unless you want to be shot in the back.

Brahn smiled encouragingly at each person before slipping away into the trees. The four waited impatiently, not sure what they would see.

Suddenly, a dark form burst out of the barn, its rapidly moving form making no sound in the darkness. As the four watched, it disappeared into the trees. There was a hint of movement in the darkness of the barn but nothing else left the structure.

Click to reveal..
For those creeping up to the barn, you need to make Dex+Stealth checks. Once you guys get to the barn or if you're spotted/heard, we'll go into combat.

Jason drew his other pistol, the matching one to that he had lent to Thomas, and a combat knife in his other hand. With the pistol braced against his other wrist he tried to move quietly up to the barn, watching for the other Hound.

Click to reveal..

Dex + Stealth = 4 dice

(22:11:40) ChatBot: (Jason) rolls 4d10 and gets 10,3,3,9.

(22:11:46) ChatBot: (Jason) rolls 1d10 and gets 5.

2 sux

Though this was far from his specialty, Thomas endeavored to creep closer to the barn so that they could take the now isolated Hound within.

Click to reveal..

Dex-1 for no skill

(15:50:56) ChatBot: (Thomas) rolls 2d10 and gets 2,9 = 1 success

As he made his way up, he was surprised how deceptively easy this all seemed. Was he about to learn a lesson?

Micah approached the barn as quietly as he could, trying to keep out of sight as well as hearing. He paused for a second to see if he could make out anything in the barn, but was unable to, so he continued forward. He was slightly reassured by the weight of the sword in his right hand, and he made sure to stay close to Mr. Burke.

Click to reveal..

Ryan made it a hundred yards before the trees thinned out enough to force him back to the ground. He kept moving, his long limbs eating up ground at a relaxed loping run. I don't know what the hell is going on here but the faculty shouldn't be carrying guns and swords and ... dammit I can't believe that Micah killed himself ... Ryan ran on, taking the circumference of the school grounds at the steady pace of a distance runner. This is all probably Deek's fault, he must have slipped some LSD or something into the ice cream. No way that a guy actually turned into a dog. Probably jut had a rottweiler with him or maybe a pit bull. I should kick his ass, how many people got hurt last night because of him. Ryan stopped consciously watching his path, he was in the zone, relying almost entirely on instinct and muscle memory. It was easy to do on open ground, much harder in a real urban scape but the best Traceurs could do it across a city like London or Paris, crossing miles of city without ever really thinking about what they were doing. Ryan let his thoughts drift back to the group, the odd music, the stranger with the weird contacts. He'd overheard some of the faculty talking about how the people last night might have been actors or people hired to pull a prank, Why continue it now? Was Micah in on it? Sure as hell looked real when he stuck that sword through his chest. Ryan ruminated on recent events and ran, sometimes it was easier to run...

[Ryan continues here: Chapter 2d: Diversion]

[sURPRISE ROUND]

It heard them coming. It had to have, or seen them, or as crazy as the world had gotten, smelled them. Whatever tipped it off, it came charging in at a full-out run, on all four legs. It had waited until they were close enough for the ambush to charge at them. Its target was clearly Jason, but a half-buried coil of electric fence wire hidden in the summer grass arrest its motion, and its teeth clicked shut on air.

Then, it was their turn.

Click to reveal..
Shadow’s Wits+Comp to hear them coming: 3 sux

1d10=2, 1d10=10, 1d10=8, 1d10=1, 1d10=5, 1d10=4

1d10=9

Thomas’ Wits+Comp: 0 sux, surprised

1d10=5, 1d10=1, 1d10=6, 1d10=5, 1d10=3, 1d10=7

Micah’s Wits+Comp: 2 sux, able to act

1d10=9, 1d10=8, 1d10=6, 1d10=4

Jason’s Wits+Comp: 1 sux, able to act

1d10=1, 1d10=6, 1d10=5, 1d10=1, 1d10=10

1d10=2

Sean’s Wits+Comp: 2 sux, able to act

1d10=8, 1d10=5, 1d10=10, 1d10=3

1d10=2

Charge attack on Jason: 0 sux! 0 damage

1d10=2, 1d10=1, 1d10=1, 1d10=3, 1d10=5, 1d10=6, 1d10=7

Init Calcs:

1d10=5, 1d10=4, 1d10=5, 1d10=9, 1d10=3

Jason – 5 + 5 = 10

Micah – 4 + 5 = 9 (before Sean)

Sean – 5 + 4 = 9

Shadow – 9 + 6 = 15

Thomas – 3 + 5 = 8

Init order:

15 – Shadow

10 – Jason

9 – Micah

9 – Sean

8 - Thomas

[sURPRISE ROUND]

Jason was right on top of the snarling man-beast. Baring his teeth, the groundskeeper felt somehow right as he pulled the trigger on his gun. The pistol roared and kicked, and the Hound screamed. A small hole could be seen in its shoulder, but the hole on the other side of its back was a lot larger. Blood began to run down its back in a steady stream, while a smaller stream dribbled down his front shoulder.

From a distance, they heard a loud, angry howl.

Micah hesitated only a second; his sword cut through the air vigorously but only sliced into the Hound’s leg. Still, the gesture felt comfortable to him, like he was swinging with his finger; when he had stabbed himself, he’d definitely felt more awkward. His attack didn’t seem to hurt much, but it still drew a hiss of rage from the creature, but that hiss was cut short by Sean’s fist pounding into its side.

Sean’s face creased with a vicious grin at the savagery of his attack. His fist came back spattered in blood; its clothing was soaked through and he couldn’t help but hit it in a geyser of blood.

The Hound lunged forward on all fours, its body arching low and baring an impossibly wide mouth. The long, triangular teeth were like a shark’s, and Jason had new materials for nightmares as it grabbed him low in the gut. The teeth sliced mercilessly, and Jason found new definitions of pain as his body was mauled. Somehow, he managed to point and shot, and the Hound screamed again as his gun's retort tore the night.

Micah swung again as the beast started to collapse; his sword cut into the back of its neck, damaging his spine and sending small gouts of clear spinal fluid spiking into the air. Sean’s fearsome punch shattered its skull, and he pulled back a hand covered in it black blood, brain and pieces of bone.

Thomas was ran to Jason and started to help him. His hands were shaking. He hadn’t wanted them to kill it. He hadn’t wanted it dead, but that was all he saw when he closed his eyes: the dead, hole-riddled body of the Hound.

And it was dead, very decisively so. They had killed their first foe, and struck the first blow in the war against the Caramines. In the darkness, the howl came again, closer and torn by grief.

Click to reveal..
Because Jason sustained more than 5 damage from a single attack, he’ll have nightmares about this attack for the next few days. They fade in time, but this was a horrifying experience.

One the upside, you’ll pick some nice teeth out of your wounds; you’ll have three large, authentic looking shark’s teeth as a memento of this encounter.

For several seconds, there was just anticipation. Then the other Hound appeared, throwing itself out of the bushes. Despite its previous howls, it was eeriely silent as it bowled out of the undergrowth and threw itself at them.

Jason's gun fired first, but his shaking hands threw off his shot. The bullet tore into his shoulder, sinking into the meat its of body. Thomas' shot did better; the bullet tore into him and actually checked his forward momentum a bit.

Archived