Dungeons & Dragons Online - FREE

Matt

We both played the original for a little while (Stormreach), and while we enjoyed it, we decided we couldn't really justify paying for subscriptions every month. The levelling system does take a bit of getting used to, and they seem to have changed a few things around with the new pay-for-perks business model, but it's not bad at all. I run it on an old Dell without too much trouble, and if you've got a decent processor and graphics card, it looks really nice. You have a lot of options for character customization, most of the quests can be performed with a group or solo, and there are plenty of people around. Every class is useful; there are some chests/locks, for example, that can't be opened unless there's a rogue in the group.

The population can also be a bit of a downer, though. It's difficult for someone with an older PC, like mine, to handle high-traffic areas without things getting choppy, and you obviously have the perpetually-scrolling chat window and people with goofy names, but I don't think that's anything you don't find in other MMOs.

If anyone's got more specific questions about the way the game is set up, leveling, questing, the setting, etc., feel free to ask! We're enjoying it so far, and though it doesn't quite live up to the tabletop (or even pbp) role-playing experience, it's a fun way to kill a couple of hours.

I'm curious. I played back when it first came out also. Back then the entire game pathed, that is you could only go specific places that they allow you to go, no freedom to explore. Is that still the case? That was one of my biggest pet peeves. That and the fact that you were forced to group above lvl 3 or 4 at the time. It's good to hear they fixed the forced group thing and provide solo options now.

I just downloaded it yesterday myself and was thinking about getting back in to see what it was like now. I've got a lvl 10 character from back in the day but don't remember what server.

Yeah, took about 3 hours for me to download, but I started it then left to run errands and it was done when I got home later so no big deal.

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
I'm curious. I played back when it first came out also. Back then the entire game pathed, that is you could only go specific places that they allow you to go, no freedom to explore. Is that still the case? That was one of my biggest pet peeves. That and the fact that you were forced to group above lvl 3 or 4 at the time. It's good to hear they fixed the forced group thing and provide solo options now.

It's still kinda linear, but they added a tone of new area and the wilderness exploration is pretty cool, but nothing like the ol' EQ or even WoW.

Quote:
I just downloaded it yesterday myself and was thinking about getting back in to see what it was like now. I've got a lvl 10 character from back in the day but don't remember what server.

Wouldn't matter, all accounts need to be reset. Old PCs are gone.

Been fun so far, although I wanna crack at a dragon.

Had a go at this for a while last night - but after about 30min of play it switched the machine off abruptly - not shutdown cleanly but switched off. Confirmed this was the culprit by trying again after having to do a system repair from the damage it caused. And the same thing happend.

So although it seemed like a good game, I've had to uninstall it now wink

Got an account on Thelanis too, it's a good game it's very quest driven, and has Wilderness Exploration quests too boot for extra searching on the open areas.

Been playing for a while and still on the second city resolving quests, most of them seem to be under CR'd, I keep getting my ass handed to me when playing on the Normal version of most quests with my single char.

Paths for char creation are nice, and you can always leave em as soon as you hit level two, plus the Action Points to take on enhancements give it a little more variaety.

Tis a good game, I wish it had a better drop rate for weapons and special items, but I guess that's why you can repeat stuff ad nauseum untill you get what you wanted to get.

PS - I loathe Kobolds more than ever since I started playing this.

Archived