Mutants & Masterminds: The Family - Storia Una - Fare Thee Well

Dawn OOC

Sal sighed inwardly as he was dragged onto the stage again, but the smile never left his face. He took a deep breath and launched into the vocal version of Louis Prima's hit Robin Hood. When the song was over, he picked up a clarinet, and began playing a solo. After the short solo, while the crowd was still in shock, he jumped off the stage, and headed quickly over to Tessa, where he motioned to the band leader to start playing Moonlight Serenade by Glenn miller. Sal then turned to Tessa, "Looks like the first of my labors is over for the night. Care to join me for a dance, miss?"

Tess finished scribbling her notes as she spotted Sal headed towards her. Her lips twitched in amusement at his reference and took his hand for him to lead her to the dance floor.

This is probably going to get me kicked out for the night. Oh well, give the man his prize, Tess. He certainly worked hard enough for it.

Her eyes flicked over to Crunchy, and then lingered on Sheets for a moment. She wondered just what it was that bear-Woman and her conspirators were so angry about. What had Lucky pulled them away for earlier? Whatever it was, it would have to wait until after this dance; eyes on her partner, Tess smiled and settled into the steps.

• 2 weeks later...

Micky had seen her looking, because he had been glancing back, much as he had the entire song, much to the dismay of his partner, which seemed to give her all the more motivation to try and distract him. Which she did quite successfully with another glass of champagne and a tug of his tie to bring him closer.

~~~~~

Taking a break from his semi-reluctant debauchery, he left his tart on the floor with a cut-in and found a seat at an empty table while he collected his nigh-intoxicated thoughts.

Lucky has faith to give me such a responsibility that he knows will bring the guns. Or maybe he wants me killed. No, he wouldn't have me involved in his method of communication, not that I am likely his only line. Nor risk collateral damage if I am to watch Tess. How to involve her, and yet not. How to involve a brick-head boxer? Why has that 'voice' taken such an interest in Tess?

His eyes scanned the crowd until he found the pair. The song was winding down and Sheets was pretty sure that Tess needed to get some fresh air. Standing up and straightening his tie and ensuring the slickness of his hair with a couple swipes of his hand, he grabbed a couple flutes of bubbly from a passing waiter and made his way towards the two through the throng.

Tess ducked her head to Sal at the end of the dance, her cheeks flushed from the champaign and the exertion of the evening.

"Thank you for the dance, Signore Sangionone," she murmured. "I think, though, I will have to sit the next one out." Her thanks and her fatigue both seemed genuine; her skin was pale white against the red of her cheeks and lips, giving her even more of a doll-like appearance.

She felt more than saw Mickey slide up to the two of them. Not wanting the superb singer in trouble for her own minor mischeif of the night, she laid a hand on Mickey's arm and smiled winningly up at him. "Signore Sheets, would you mind sitting out a dance with me? The champaign has quite gone to my head at this point."

• 2 weeks later...

Mickey looked over the young woman with an appraising eye, "My pleasure, Tessa." he nodded.

He handed her one of the two glasses he was carrying, whether she drank it or not, he could care less, but this freed an arm to offer for support as they made their way back to a table.

Mickey was sure to pull a chair out for her before taking a seat himself.

"You are quite the woman."

The Don's niece blushed at the unexpected compliment, sipping at her glass to cover a momentary lack of words despite her earlier protestation of having had too much to drink. There were glances their way now as some of the older gentlemen sat with their ladies-for-tonight and noticed someone who shouldn't quite be here still.

"I'm nothing unusual," she demurred softly. There was quiet at the table for a heart beat or two before the spark reentered her eyes, "Are you enjoying yourself tonight, Mickey?"

"The night has certainly been eventful," he said, plainly. An underlying layer of events loaded in the statement. "But it is young yet."

He was smiling, but it was forced, or looked as such. The facial expression didn't come natural to the man anymore, and even during the happiest of times it looked more like a grimace that an expression of joy.

"How about yourself? The festivities to your liking?"

She let her eyes wander around the room and shrugged as she settled back on him. "It's been.....interesting." She let that lukewarm response stew for a moment before adding, "So, has Uncle Charlie spoken with you yet?"

Even nuance and inflection she could put in the question intimated that he should have and that she knew why. Forget diamonds, a baby face and a well practiced look of innocence could get a girl almost anywhere.

"Yes...he has." Mickey responded. The pause was loaded with thought, but he was quick to continue. "He's makin' me busy... and keeping an eye out for you."

He glanced over towards Tess' father's table and the more than entertained man and his young tart.

"You wants to know...or should I assume someone as beautiful as yourself has gathered all the info already?"

The alcohol was having its effect on his judgement, things he wouldn't normally say were getting past his otherwise vice-trap of a mouth.

Go sleep it off Mic.

Tess swallowed her surprise and spared a glance over at Lucky. What are you up to, unlcle? I hardly need a minder. Her lips pursed in thought. And you know that.

She smiled winsomly at Mickey, "You flatter me; gossip hardly it makes it's way around that quickly." And a good young lady of a Don's house would only know gossip, right? She leaned in, making a confidante of the slightly inebrieated man, "But I'd love to be the first with something juicy, if you're willing to share, Mickey."

Crunchy said nothin. Mickey was a better face. He knew what he was there for. He sat and watched, always listenin' to what was bein' said by who. He noticed where Tess was leading Mickey and sighed. Booze had that effect on a man, especially when in the company of beautiful Women. He made his way over and lightly took hold of his shoulder. he didn't look to Mickey first but instead to their charge. "I need to borrow your partner for a moment ma'am. I promise I'll bring him back though."

He finally looked to Mickey, his gaze sayin "C'mon before you embarrass yerself."

• 2 weeks later...

Tess watched the two of them leave, hiding an annoyed frown behind another sip of champaign. She was nearly at her alcohol limit for the evening and didn't want to have to track Sheets down tomorrow and start all over again in getting out of him what Lucky had pulled them aside for. And then there was Bear Woman and her entourage to consider.

She pulled her small pad of paper out again and began doodling on a new page, going over things from evening and trying not to succumb to champaign-induced sleepiness before Crunchy had said whatever he needed to to Sheets.

Crunchy lead him somewhere private and speared him with a stony gaze. "Ya've had alot to drink, Sheets. She 'as too. You need to be careful whatcha say aroun' her. As an outsider payin attention it was clear ta me she was leadin' ya somewhere, probably to why The Boss pulled us aside."

He backs up a step. "If ya wanna tell 'er, den do so, but I ain't havin' no part of that. That ain't what we signed on for."

"Just be careful, this is our first night of the next era, let's not mess it up from the get-go."

Archived