Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Virtus Arach - Ch. 1c - Fortune Finding

Dave ST

The house by the well proved more difficult to find than the trio of mages had anticipated but after a bit of time and asking for directions they eventually got pointed in the direction 'that old hack's house' which turned out to be right by a well.

With a few light raps on the door they patiently waited until they heard a bolt sliding back and the creaky, heavy door opening. A young woman, no older than Brennan or Deezy greeted them, her pinkish blond hair was braided into pig tails and the apron tied around her waist protected her dress from dust and stains, not that it mattered, the dress had certainly seen better days.

Confused, and a bit worried, she looked to the trio at the door. "Um, can I help you?"

"Have no fear!" Deezy spouted, twirling a little piroette, while behind her loomed the vast, wheezing steam-and-brass armature that was Rexx. Somewhere over her head something like a mechanical octopus floated with its six arms waving gently around it, hovering with a faint magical hum.

"Your lost fortune finding finder is as good as found! We are Virtus Arach!"

Henry gives Deezy a look that he knows she would ignore, even if she noticed it, before turning to their potential employer.

"Good Afternoon, as my colleague has said, we are from the Virtus Arach Guild. I believe you had asked for someone to investigate your fathers loss of his powers and hopefully to return them?"

"Oh!" The young woman seemed shocked for a moment. "Oh, yes! Please, please, come in, how rude of me." She stepped aside and welcomed the mages into her home.

As soon as they entered the first thing to greet them was a large table with massive crystal ball set within its center and the front room was decorated like a business waiting room with a few extra seats set up for customers and bright colors like oranges and yellows to capture patron's attention.

"Please, do make yourself at home." She had a thick accent, like the gypsies of Kalderasha far to the west. "Um, can I get you anything? A drink perhaps?"

She bowed her head and smiled before scampering off to the kitchen. "Um, yes, sort of." She called out and they heard glasses jingling. "You see, my Father has a great gift. He is able to see the future and ever since he was young has been great teller of people's fortunes."

She walked back into the room and politely handed Brennan a glass of juice, grape by the looks of it. "But," she continued. "This balls here upon the table, it is only glass, not true crystal, which what my father needs to use his power at its full potential."

She frowned, touching the huge ball (3' diameter) on the table. "I had a dream. I dreamt that there was a sphere of pure crystal deep within a cave hidden behind a waterfall not too far from Four Winds. I ask only that you bring it back to me. I know my offer of payment is low, but it's all I have." Her eyes moistened the longer she looked at the sphere of glass on the table. "I only want to see my father happy again, telling fortunes like he used too."

"Um," she looked down to the floor and fell silent for a moment. "I, I don't know honestly. Once, many years ago when I was just a little girl I one day noticed it was a glass ball. Father was gone all day the day before, so maybe he did something with it, I don't know."

"No," She shook her head slowly. "He is probably at the tavern down the road. Ever since he lost his powers he spends his time drinking. He does not know what I have asked you and I beg you please not to tell him! I hope that with a new crystal ball that he will be like his old self again."

• 2 weeks later...

"Oh, not far at all." The young woman smiles cheerfully as Deezy's request seems to be the groups conmirmation that they'll accept the task, despite the low pay. "Only an hour or so walk south from Four Winds. You can hear it from the main road, even though it can't be seen from that far. Just follow your ears and you should find it with ease."

She bows politely. "And thank you."

Deezy hesitated, looking down the street at the tavern. Her thoughts, as always, were a complicated torrent that was hard to really put into words. Their employer's story seemed...glitchy to her. There were so many places that vital questions were not only not answered, but not even asked. Like mismatched cogs, they didn't fit; didn't mesh. She wasn't even sure they'd find the girl's father there at all.

But was there really a three foot ball of crystal behind the waterfall? If so, why? We should still go look anyway, no matter what. And if we're going anyway...

"Okay," she replied with a shrug. "Lets go find this waterfall. Come on, boys!" The last phrase was shouted to the two constructs...the towering Rexx and the weird, floating, tentacular mass that was Ock. They responded to her summons, pounding and drifting respectively along beside her as she started off in the appropriate direction.

Henry shakes his head with a smile as Deezy and her entourage turn and make their way down the road. Lifting a sling bag with a few days supplies and other essentials onto his shoulder he shrugs to Brennan and sets off to catch up with Deezy.

And off the companions went, through the south gate and onward to the fortune and glory that awaited them just an hour or two south of Four Winds!

The weather was beautiful and the group couldn't have asked for a better sky to travel under. Blue with milky clouds and a dash of comfortable wind here and there to briskly keep them from over heating under the sun. Life was good, and it was days like these that reminded them why camaraderie and good cheer were so important. They talked almost the whole way, laughing and denying old rumors or boasting about this mission or that.

It wasn't long it seemed before Henry raised his hand and signaled for everyone to stop and listen for a moment...

... the sound, although faint, was undeniably a rushing waterfall.

"That's it!" Deezy cried out happily. "We found it! I wonder what it's even doing here. Do you think it might be dangerous?"

The idea doesn't seem to deter her from jogging off in the direction the sound is coming from though.

"Ock! Go take a look and see what's there!"

Obediently, the smooth, oblong metal shape that trailed a half-dozen undulating segmented tentacles rose up and accelerated; soaring into the sky. For a moment it paused up there, tentacles coasting outward to splay around it momentarily before it re-oriented itself and shot off towards the waterfall to see if there was anyone, or anything, else in that area.

(Ock's been commanded to do aerial recon and return. It can't speak, but it can create detailed 3D images of what it observes within a short range of itself. If it encounters any kind of hostility while scouting it will flee and provide an image of its attacker...if possible)

It wasn't long before Ock returned, the hum of the arcane device that allowed him to float gave him away several feet before it reached the party. He beeped a few times, conveying his delight to back by Deezy's side and promptly projected a 3-D image.

A plateau overlooked a well hidden forest trail's end. Beyond it was a crystalline pond that sparkled in the sunlight, disturbed only near one end where the beating water flowing from the top of the plateau cascaded down its surface.

Mathematics and red targeting reticules honed in on a section behind the falls, denoting -in a language only Deezy seemed to understand- the very high probability of a natural cave formation.

"Good boy!" Deezy enthused, patting the weird construct's oblong body. She then knelt down to get a closer look at the image.

"It looks pretty clear. He didn't see any monsters or magical effects. And there's a cave back there, so that fits too."

With a bounce she was back on her feet, then hurtling down the path towards the waterfall to get a look with her own eyes.

"Lets go!"

Henry straightens as Ock returns and joins Deezy next to the device as it projects it's findings. He has to suppress a slight shiver at the prospect of all that water. It's not that he has a phobia about it or anything, but as a fire elementalist it is only natural to worry about what, if any, effect it might have on his powers.

After examining the projection he nods at Deezy's assessment, but proceeds to the region at a calmer pace, watching out for any signs of other beings in the area.

The fleet of foot Wind Mage took in the sights of the waterfall from Ock's display. "Hey, I know that place. I've meditated there before. I didn't see any cave though."

He set of following his companions eager for any excitement the day might bring.

• 5 weeks later...

Henry stops and waits for Brennan to catch up, "Yeah? I don't suppose you were really looking for one though were you? Though I guess if you used the waterfall to wash up after your training or meditation you would have had a good chance to spot it anyway."

Sure enough Ock wasn't lying. Behind the falls there was moster certainly a large cavern that yawned an invitation for thm to enter and explore. Beyond several feet it became pitch black but from as far as Deezy could tell, this cavern was new. Rubble was strew about and fell inward giving the appearance that perhaps the wall was weak and something had caused it to collapse recently, which may explain why Brennan never noticed it before.

• 2 weeks later...

Rexx's thumping footfalls were muffled on the soft grassy earth as Deezy made her way to the cave entrance with Ock hovering over her shoulder like some bizarre flower with tentacular petals waving gently in the breeze. She peered at the rubble around the opening and waved the others over.

"You know," she says conversationally. "I'm starting to think that girl wasn't being compleeeeeeeetely straight with us. Lets take a look inside."

She takes a little bone wand off her belt and slips rings of silver, brass and tin around it. To the end she affixes a small diamond with a coil of copper wires. A minute later, after more tinkering and the addition of more little components and dangly bits, the diamond lights up, emitting a clear white light in a beam forward.

With a triumphant chirp, she motions her entourage forward as she starts moving into the cave, playing the beam around as she goes.

(Using creation power flux to build a flashlight. A simple Change Environment effect, I believe...er...lemme look it up in the book. :))

Henry looks on at the tinkering for a while and then shrugs and produces a small lantern from his bag which easily lights with a flick of his fingers.

Taking a place beside Deezy he follows her creations into the cave lantern in hand, and the other hand on the hilt of his sword.

"It wouldn't surprise me at all Deezy. We'll just have to ask her about that when we get back."

Brennan followed closely, bringing up the rear of the party and winching every time Rexx's heavy footfalls echoed through the cavern. The element of surprise would be nearly impossible with him clamoring around the cave network.

The cone of Deezy's light shed along the large cavern's tunnel revealing dark gray stone and ancient writings along the walls that none of the mages, even Deezy for all her knowledge, could decipher. Ock however was a different story. He scanned the writing and projected a hologram in the shape of an arrow to point them the way through the tunnel network.

After what seemed like forever until suddenly Rexx halted, releasing a warning of pressurized steam from exhausts in his neck. His eye glowed red, warning Deezy that he'd targeted something he perceived as hostile. Clutching Deezy on the shoulder, Rexx pulled her away from the front line. From behind boulders and rubble came the grunting cries of the beasts who dwelt here.

Short and fat the obese little green skinned creatures of only about four feet or so, charged forth gibbering something in their broken language with spears raised high!

Click to reveal..
The party has encountered 6 Cave Goblins! With terrible fashion sense! I mean scarves... really?!? <gasp!>
GoblinBW.jpg

Their Defense is 8 guys. These are 'thugs' their defense will remain '8' for the remainder of the combat. If you miss an '8', we'll all laugh at you. Double 1s is an automatic miss.

Iniative is as follows:

Brennan - 17

Henry - 14

Goblins - 13

Rexx - 12

Deezy - 11

"Uh oh..." Brennan quickly took a defensive stance. "Looks like we got trouble coming our way! Deezy, stay down, Henry and I can handle this. Ready to go to work Hank?"

With an arrogant grin and an obvious eagerness to use his combat skills, Brennan waded into the fray. When he met the goblins one immediately thrust its spear at him. He spun out of the way and gripped the haft, breaking it in a single chop of his hand before bringing his knee around and into the beast's face.

Another scampered by and headed off towards Rexx and Deezy, lunging violently with its weapon. "Se Tenkuu Hadou!" he thrust his hands out, wrists pressed firmly together, and from them launched a mystical blast of razor sharp winds that spiraled towards the goblin, impacting hard and lacerating it painfully.

"Back off the bot, dude." He shouted to the dazed goblin trying to make it back to its feet. "The D'sters still makin' payments!"

Click to reveal..

Attack 1 - (Cave Goblin) 6,6+10=22 (Unarmed, Knee) Damage: (56 damage!)

Attack 2 - (Cave Goblin) 4,5+10=19 (Se Tenkuu Hadou, -3EP) Damage: (37 damage.)

Defense 1 - 3,3+10=16 (19 vs. Ranged Attacks)

Defense 2 - 2,1+10=13 (16 vs. Ranged Attacks)

Health: 80/80

Energy: 67/70

• 2 weeks later...

Henry attempts to draw his sword straight into an attack but fumbles it and almost drops the weapon. Moving sharply backwards he instead throws a bolt of fire in the face of the goblin closest to him as he gets a grip on his sword in time to defend himself.

Click to reveal..

(01:37:38) ChatBot: (Henry) rolls 2d6 and gets 1,1.

guess that will fumble his intial attack

2nd attack - fire bolt

(01:37:43) ChatBot: (Henry) rolls 2d6 and gets 5,5.+8 = 18

50 damage

1st Defence

(01:45:06) ChatBot: (Henry) rolls 2d6 and gets 4,2.+7 = 13

2nd Defence

(01:45:12) ChatBot: (Henry) rolls 2d6 and gets 6,4.+7 = 17

• 3 weeks later...

Only three remained after the valiant assault from the Virtus Arach sorcerers.

[brennan, MISS!]One scrambled to Brennan and attempted a clumsy thrust with it's spear but the Wind Mage simply flowed around the attack like a spiraling wind.

[Henry, MISS!]The second leaped toward Henry, a battle cry wailed through the caverns as it went airborne. Henry took a single step backwards and cocked an eye brow as the thing clumsily stuck it's spear in the cracks in the floor and simply dangled back and forth sever inches off the ground, cursing in it gibbering tongue.

[Rexx, HIT!, No damage scored.] The third ran ahead and screamed triumphantly in unison with his fellow goblin brothers in arms. With a mighty arc backwards he bellowed a firece cry to the goblin war gods and thrust his spear tip forward!

*CLANG!*

Rexx looked down, and cocked his head to the side in a curious display of 'why is the creature bothering me?'. The flint spear tip shattered loudly against his metalic exoskeleton.

Click to reveal..
3 attacks, three misses... I think I'm going too easy on you guys. This is meant to be easy though...

Deezy threw back her head and laughed. "Hah! Stupid goblin! Get him, Rexx!"

Steam hissed in pistons as Rexx drew back one of his thick, long arms and threw a blistering punch at the tiny goblin before him!

(to hit = 8, for 42 base damage)

As pulverized rocks spattered everywhere from the force of his blow, Rexx drew back his other fist and twisted around to throw another punch! (only if goblin is still alive, to hit = 11, for 42 base damage)

Meanwhile the floating Ock swirls around and brings its red, center eye to bear. A searing beam of light jets forth from it, etching a path through the cavern floor as it heads for one of the more distant goblins. (to hit = 12 for

And finally, there was a whirring, clanking noise as Deezy powered up her steam-crossbow and loaded it, then let the bolt fly! (to hit = 14, 30 damage)

(Rolls: (20:50:05) (SalmonMax): When Androids attack! Rexx!

(20:50:13) ChatBot: (SalmonMax) rolls 2d6 and gets 2,1.

(20:50:20) ChatBot: (SalmonMax) rolls 2d6 and gets 1,4.

(20:50:30) (SalmonMax): Ock!

(20:50:35) ChatBot: (SalmonMax) rolls 2d6 and gets 2,3.

(20:51:07) (SalmonMax): And of course, Miss Deez.

(20:51:13) ChatBot: (SalmonMax) rolls 2d6 and gets 4,2. )

With screams and wails of fear the cave goblins picked themselves up off the cold stone floor and ran screaming, arms in the air flailing about. One headed up the rear screaming as well... his hands planted firmly on his rump as it bolted off down the cavern with the crossbow quarrel waggling painfully from his behind like a tail as he fled...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived