Mutants & Masterminds: The Unlikely Prophets - Issue #2: The Man Who Built Yesterday

Charlotte

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"All right, Sharatur's getting Sam, Cyco and Gloom," Larissa said, speaking the events for Jack's benefit. "Once they get here, we'll get this show started."

She sighed.

"We need some kind of...searchlight or something we can all see, so we know when and where to meet up."

Gloom ignored the dirt on herself. It wasn't worth running off to take care of now. Instead, she listened to Kenshin, then said, "We're all going a little insane. Just... keep your head. Don't try to kill us all in our sleep. If we sleep now." Not sure that helped, she added, "I have a living shadow in my soul. Psycho breaks land records without effort. Radiance is a glowworm. Normal and sane are something that happen to others, now." If her words were harsh, her tone was somewhat sympathetic.

Sharatur looked at the two of them, and came to a sudden realization: sure, her world view had been shattered, but obviously things could have been much worse. Her new abilities still seemed to follow consistent rules, after all; she just needed to figure out what those new rules were. She didn't have to deal with some kind of alien demon in a shadow or sword form, or deal with the completely unknown and fundamentally unknowable realm of the dead or magic spells or enhanced luck. What the hell kind of crazy ability is "I'm really lucky" anyways?!? She still didn't know very much at all about that glowing girl, but she suspected that Speed Demon and Bodhie's abilities were by far the most similar to her own.

She found her gaze resting on the unattended sword. "Well, I may be able to help you with that much at least" she said to Kenshin as she walked over. "Let's see what happens." Crouching down, she picked up the sword by its hilt.

Cyco wasted no time zipping off to the town she had purchased the flashlights from. She left a wake of dust as she searched for a house that was currently unoccupied. It didn't take long, for once, Cyan being thankful for The Order's work-hour regulations.

Making use of an unlocked window, she let herself in and made use of her amazing speed. Within a few minutes and well under any water ration allotment that may be occuring, she was showered, had cleaned and repaired her dress (to the best of her ability) and had even redone her hair.

Much better Cyan. she thought, looking in the mirror as she finished applying some lipstick and giving her reflection a mimed smooch.

"Alright," she mumbled to herself, scanning the small dwelling, "Payment."

In a a grand display, Cyco breezed through the house like a domesticated tornado, cleaning within an inch the entire place.

"Dishes, dusting, scrubbing, fluffing,

Domestic dangers vanquishing.

Snacking, showering, hospitality,

Consider this a gratuity."

Like a mythic shoemaker's elf, she vanished from the house, no sign of her intrusion save a clean house and a single, silvery feather on the floor.

~~~~~

Cyco reappeared in Jack's house, looking like someone had hit the 'reset' button on her appearance, though the messenger bags were missing...and so were Gloom and Kenshin.

"So...what's the plan?"

Norman was hesitant to sound off, since it was likely his blind host already knew he was there. Likely, but not certain. There was only one way to handle the situation gracefully; light conversation.

"So Jack, I've got a question about your luck. Does it mostly relate to stuff you're actively trying to do, gambling, getting around, looking for folks and whatnot? Or does random good stuff just happen to you too?"

"You got me, Norman. It didn't come with a user's manual. But I think it's... proactive, to maybe misuse a word. It works when I'm trying to make it work. I get the impression that it's not something I would want to do often, that there's only so much karma I have saved up. So don't ask me to give Archon a heart attack or anything. Motherfucker doesn't have one."

Originally Posted By: IndyPendant
"Let's see what happens." Crouching down, she picked up the sword by its hilt.

Sharatur didn't have any trouble lifting the small blade. If there was a way to get it to transform into the several-foot blade she'd seen him wield, however, she was oblivious to it. To her it was a pocket knife, a non-speaking one at that.

Sharatur looked down at the blade, then up at Kenshin. Some urge in her rose up to twist her face angrily and snarl about killing them--but it was a minor one, quickly suppressed. And entirely rising from her own dark impish side. One look at Kenshin's apprehensive face killed that impulse real quick.

She frowned, and shrugged. "It doesn't seem to have any effect on me, Kenshin. I'm sorry. Want me to take it off your hands for a while?" She paused. "Oh hell. I almost forgot why I came here! Everyone's waiting for us back at Jack's place. Jack says he's figured out the next place we should check out; something to do with light-girl's paintings, or something. We should get back there." Another pause. "Hrm. Do, uh, do you guys even have a way to get back?"

So Kenshin was crazy. Sucked to be him. Gloom couldn't feel too bad for him; she had other issues to worry about, honestly. She did hope he wouldn't try to kill her, though.

At Sharatur's question she said, "Yes," and teleported back to the shadowed corner in Jack's living room. In retrospect, she quietly acknowledged, that was probably not what Sharatur meant.

Gloom disappeared before Kenshin could reply. He shook his head at the strange woman's behavior. Looking at Sharatur, Kenshin shook his head, "If I'm crazy then I doubt the weapon, or lack of it, would make me better or worse. If I'm not," he paused looking grimly determined, "If not then it it my family's duty, and thus my own, to bear that demon weapon. Either way ..." He trailed off and shrugged non-committally, "I don't feel like dealing with the others, I'll be in the town, at the library, as I had intended originally."

Sharatur scowled when Gloom simply vanished, just like Speed Demon. Then she shrugged mentally as she considered Kenshin's words. Huh. Okay then. Maybe they knew they each had ways to get back. Not so bad to just flit off, then. She flipped the dagger so the blade rested in her hand, then lightly tossed it underhand to him.

"Well...okay, if you insist. I think we're planning the next stage though. We may not be at Jack's house much longer, and I don't really know where we're going after that. Knowing this group, we could end up anywhere. I guess I'm just saying...don't stay away too long!"

And with that--and not without a sigh of regret at not getting the chance to explore this wonderful place--she stepped away as well. Her own mode of travel was nowhere near instantaneous over long distances, but she enjoyed the jog even with the heat. She practiced her version of teleportation some more along the way, quickly learning that how it worked aside, its rules and limitations were easy to determine. Within minutes, sweating but invigorated, she had returned to Jack's home.

As soon as the weapon hit his hand Kenshin could hear its voice, Slay her, feed me blood!

Kenshin felt dismay that the voice had returned so quickly. Shut up foul demon, he snarled back. Sharatur said something and then vanished before Kenshin could ask her to repeat it.

Alone now Kenshin looked at the weapon in his hand. I hunger, it stated, almost matter of factly.

Gent bent. I hate you, Kenshin pondered dropping the sword down the hole again.

Hate me or love me, I cannot be destroyed, you will be free only in death. The voice seemed amused by Kenshin's plight, Or you can accept me as you father and his father and all your forefather's did. Violence and blood are your heritage, your birthright. Kenshin tries to protest, but the sword flooded his mind with images of battle, of his ancestors fighting in duels and in great battles that decided the history of Japan. He saw noble Sanda's like his father, using the sword as a tool for peace and justice, and others who reveled in the power of bloodshed and the ability to inflict pain and death.

"I am not a monster!" Kenshin shouted to the sky.

Perhaps, but you are Sanada, you have no choice in that, one cannot deny blood ...

"... unless I kill myself and end the Sanada family for all time." Kenshin shook his head, "No, I will not. I do not need you, and I need not listen to you." He pulled the ugly hat down and donned his family armor. Summoning his loyal steed he leaped to the horse's back and rode off toward the town. He could ignore the demon, or perhaps his own dark side, for as long as it took. All the better that the town was deserted, all the better that the only blood within miles was his own.

Kenshin proceeded to the library.

It was locked, but that was no trouble for a sword that could cut through steel. Inside, the library was covered in dust, the shelves half-empty, two of them having collapsed. A patch of carpet had been torn up and there was water damage on the roof. A checkout desk had been gutted, stripped of its computer and its file folders.

Kenshin paced around the library, finding little at first to draw his attention. He found a large book on the history of Ayers Rock, with the Order's symbol in the corner denoting it as "officially approved." Possibly worth something, possibly not...

Then Kenshin decided to look in the back storage area. What he found was a stack of newspapers, piles and piles of them... and in the midst of the stack was a thick bundle of newspaper clippings that someone had left behind.

He picked it up, and turned a few pages. It was immediately obvious what it was - the last of the town's newspaper articles, all related to 'The Shutdown.' A quick glimpse at the content of the articles told him more detail.

These were all about the shutdown of access to Ayers Rock.

Kenshin arrived at Jack's house with a stack of newspapers under his arm along with a hefty book.

"All right, so let's go over what we know. We - "

"I cannot go," said Kenshin.

Jack arched an eyebrow. "That's... sudden."

"I am unsure of what control, if any, I can exercise over this blade. It guides my hand in battle. I worry it may guide it wrong. I've found something at the library, though. Something more... suited to my skills."

"Go on..."

"Tell me, Jack. Why did they close down Ayers Rock?"

"The Order didn't exactly keep us in the loop. Knights came in, declared the place off limits for about eighteen months. Killed the local tourist trade stone dead. Everyone drifted off inch by inch over the years. Lori said she saw people up there past the perimeter some nights, but that's about it. Why?"

"There is a hole in Ayers Rock, where they drilled down and - presumably - took something out."

"... you don't say."

"If the Order wanted it then it's within our interests to know why."

"All right. Agreed. We'll talk a bit more about that later. Now - Radiance had found that there's a building in Seattle that they're planning to knock down in a week or so. The Cardinal building, it's called. Gloom tells me that the building's been basically sealed for as long as anyone can remember and it used to be owned by a jeweller named Marcus Gold. And Argus is up to something inside.

"If they're going to knock down the building then whatever they're up to must be nearing completion. So here's what I propose. Larissa sends us to Seattle - all of us, but Kenshin can bring whatever he wants along to research - while we check out what's going on inside that building. We wear masks and gloves and go by codenames. Once we figure out what they are up to, we proceed from there. This sound okay to you all? We can get to it tomorrow once we've all caught a little rest."

Larissa listens to Kenshin's story about the rock with growing interest. She glances at Sharatur, but keeps whatever notions are bouncing around in her head to herself for the moment. When Jack outlines the plan, she nods in agreement.

"You know, I can't help wondering whether or not the Order's aware something's wrong," Larissa said. "If they knew about the Mathemagician being subverted...if that's what happened...and have any idea that there are other people in the world like them now."

Hikari nods. "That's a risk we'll have to take if we're going to go investigate the building."

"It could all be an elaborate trap, but I really don't think that's the case. Though if we are successful things will certainly change, as they will certainly be aware of our existence afterwards."

Originally Posted By: Bodhie Armstrong
Bodhie smiled at Cyco and nodded to her. "What did you find out? Anything unusual about the Rock? Want me to lift it up and look what's underneath?"

"Nah, very disappointing."

Originally Posted By: Mike OOC
"All right. Agreed. We'll talk a bit more about that later. Now - Radiance had found that there's a building in Seattle that they're planning to knock down in a week or so. The Cardinal building, it's called. Gloom tells me that the building's been basically sealed for as long as anyone can remember and it used to be owned by a jeweller named Marcus Gold. And Argus is up to something inside.

"If they're going to knock down the building then whatever they're up to must be nearing completion. So here's what I propose. Larissa sends us to Seattle - all of us, but Kenshin can bring whatever he wants along to research - while we check out what's going on inside that building. We wear masks and gloves and go by codenames. Once we figure out what they are up to, we proceed from there. This sound okay to you all? We can get to it tomorrow once we've all caught a little rest."

Cyco shrugged, "If the Order won't like it, let's do it."

"Just to clarify here, are we talking about all of us going in at once? I've got no problem with that but, tactically speaking, some of us are sneakier than others."

"If nothing else Andi or I could sneak in to get a shot of an internal door and then Larissa could zot us all past one or two lines of defense maybe."

“We'll all go to Seattle, and close by the building. Radiance can make a solid light van or something so that we can stay out of the way, yet close by. If you and Gloom think you can get inside and help us sneak in more quietly, go right ahead. I think I have a camera lying around here somewhere.” Jack waved upstairs.

“One last thing, then we'll try and get some sleep before we head out. We shouldn't use real names out there, so we'll need disguises and we'll need codenames. Larissa, Sharatur, Bodhie – what should we call you?”

"Codenames?", Bodhie asked a bit estranged by the idea. "Like...? I don't know. I've got no idea about that. I'm not going to walk around with some stupid Hero-name like "Big Buff Girl" or something - you can forget about that.", the large bodybuilder crossed her arms over her chest defiantly her gaze challenging everyone to make a stupid comment about her size in relation to her yet-to-be-found codename.

"What about a regular alias? Like, um, Jane Doe?"

He grimaced as it struck him that his default alias probably had less than ideal connotations.

"It's more about making it harder for the Order to figure out who you really are and getting leverage than sounding cool. Er, I assume. I mean, sounding cool might be a bonus if we ever want to inspire the oppressed masses to turn against their Orderly oppressors, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it."

Sharatur grimaced. "I'm with Bodhie on this one. I'm not carrying some silly-ass name around--particularly if it gives clues to what I can do. A different name though...I've always liked "Janet". Why don't you call me that?" She paused, her grimace growing more fierce. "Oh God. I'm going to have to call you Necronaut, and you Speed Demon, aren't I?"

Bodhie sighed and then chuckled. "Ah, might aswell play around with my own name. It's not a coincedence anymore I guess so what difference does it make. I'll be Strongarm, can't hide the way I look anyway."

The large bodybuilder chuckled and then laughed at herself. She'd never dreamt of anything like this - not even in her wildest dreams.

"You can call me Strongarm - can I get to wear one of those neat little masks that just cover the area around my eyes? I think that'll be enough as disguise...", she smirked not being too serious about at the moment.

"Well, I've been thinking about it," Larissa says. "I'm going with 'Hex' for my code name." She takes a deep breath and adds, "The way I think about it, our names aren't just to protect our identities. They're also to create something that people can notice and be inspired by. It may seem melodramatic to us, now, but if we're successful we're going to be larger than life. People will think about us as criminals, or people will think about us as heroes...but people will think about us."

"Names are important, even code names. A name is a symbol that represents what we are to everyone else. Think about the Order. Their names have power. If we're really intent on being the...the 'anti-Order,' then we also need names with power. The struggle isn't just out here in the world. It's also in the minds of everyone watching."

She nods at Bodhie. "Strongarm's good." Then she gives 'Janet' a gently reproving look. "We should probably work on yours."

Hikari sat there as the others decided their names. She had to stifle a chuckle when Cyco explained hers. Yes "Psycho" is certainly accurate for you.

She frowns at "Janet" but smiles at "Hex" and "Strongarm". "I agree with Hex, our names tell them something of who we are, without putting our families and friends at risk."

"We can sort it tomorrow. Been a hell of a long day for everyone." Jack yawned, as if to punctuate this. "Lori's room is upstairs. Got a few couches in here. Rain barrels are hooked up to the purifier so you'll have running water. Get some rest and we'll get started on this building issue in the morning."

Originally Posted By: SalmonMax
She nods at Bodhie. "Strongarm's good." Then she gives 'Janet' a gently reproving look. "We should probably work on yours."

Bodhie nodded back and smiled and giggled a bit at „Janet“. If she wants to be called like that…

Originally Posted By: Mike OOC
"We can sort it tomorrow. Been a hell of a long day for everyone." Jack yawned, as if to punctuate this. "Lori's room is upstairs. Got a few couches in here. Rain barrels are hooked up to the purifier so you'll have running water. Get some rest and we'll get started on this building issue in the morning."

„That sounds like a great idea. Would you mind if I took a shower first? I feel kinda filthy after all that decomissioning of Order facilities.“, Bodhie didn’t really expect an answer and started to look for the bathroom hopefully finding it eventually.

„I won’t take long – just a quick shower!“, she said trying to let everyone know she had found it and needed some privacy.

After a quickening refreshment the large female bodybuilder came back to the living room and started her quest to find a good place to rest… if that was even possible given her new physical ‚properties’…

Jack pointed out the couch's hide-a-bed, which was large enough to hold Bodhie's considerable frame.

Time passed. People caught up on sleep. When the morning came, everyone gathered, and Larissa drew her sigils on the nearest door, opening a gateway to Seattle, where it was raining, and raining hard.

Improvised masks in their pockets, the nine of them stepped through. One solid-light van coupled with one very strong pusher later, they made their way into an alleyway a stone's throw away from the Cardinal building.

It loomed. There was no other word to describe it, really. The other buildings bore signs of life, even though there were very few people on the streets. It was mid-afternoon, with most people indoors at work, a bicycle courier peddling down the street serving as a lonely exception. He glanced at the building furtively, but didn't break stride.

"Nice day if it doesn't rain," quipped Jack, inside the van. "So how did you want to play this? I know Kenshin's staying in here to look these things over. Norm mentioned going inside and getting a picture of a doorway, too."

Before you leave, and after having the night to think about it, Sharatur wakes up the next morning saying at breakfast "Okay okay. I guess it's kind of silly for me to balk at something so basic as a name--particularly since 'Strongarm' over there has turned traitor on me!" She smiles to show she shouldn't be taken seriously on that. "But I really don't know what I should call myself. Mega-monk? Kickstep?" She lowers her voice ominously. "Whispering Death! Miss Martial Murder!" She grins. "Or...you could call me Betty. I like that name too."

Hikari shakes her head. "I would prefer that I not have to keep the Van in existence. I cannot manifest objects and do some of my other abilities at the same time."

"Perhaps we can find some sort of Cafe or restaraunt for those who won't be coming to wait in, a fall back point if you will."

Archived