Mutants & Masterminds: Galactic League - Episode One: Learning

Krul

Scanning the minds of the emerald empire crew and broadcasting to the rest of her crewmates in the Shreherazade, Sapphire soon enoough manages to find the mind of the leaders the Captain and the Admiral, they aqre under orders to to disrupt this meeting however possible, but without implicating the empire, they also have a much larger fleet out about a dozen light years out.

Sapphire danced among the thoughts of the crew of the Emerald Flagship, her mental steps unseen and unnoticed. She caught the thoughts of the Captain and the Admiral, her perfect lips curving.

*The entire fleet consists of 36 starships and 12 battleships, and possess a number of biologically enhanced marines. The Captain of the Flagship is Julian Telivan, but the fleet is led by Admiral Markus Legaal, both of whom are enhanced. The Admiral is gifted with a formidable intellect and the ability temporarily increase his personal attributes. The Captain possesses superhuman strength and heightened tactical capabilities. Both have perfect health and no fear of poison or disease.

The Admiral is completely devoted to the Empress. The Captain is also loyal, but he does question the honour of the Emerald Empire invading sovereign star systems.

They have been ordered to remain circumspect while the envoys are engaged in negotiations. They do have leave to use their discretion and are expected to send in covert agents to disrupt the talks.

Should they manage to disrupt the negotiations, they are to immediately move on the various nations, Shangra-La being their first target.

Should they fail in preventing the formation of the Alliance, their orders are to do what they can to break it. The Emerald Empress would prefer to invade the nations piecemeal rather than as a unified whole and if they fail to ally themselves, she doesn't plan on giving them a second chance to do so.

And I have just begun to plumb their depths. What else would you like to know?*

"Lt. Rose, any information you care to plumb from their minds may become useful later, particularly should we have to fight them. Lt. Hodarg, hold us steady for our destination."

Namiah was troubled. Though she hid it well, part of her was disgusted at the Empress. There was no need for this kind of aggressive expansion. Chin high, eyes serene, she watched her crew perform their duties.

"Captain, would you like me to goahead as an advanced party? I could go down planetside and see how things go. It might be far less intimidating and consipicuous, than all of us showing up at once. I know of many cases where the League sends one envoy. The other benefit to it being me is I can return to the ship at any time should the need arise."

Sapphire gave T'aeg a mental nod before plunging back into the minds of the Captain and Admiral. Ephemeral whispers yielded the answers she wished.

*If discovered, the Captain is in favour of withdrawing back to Emerald space. However, the Admiral would push for an immediate assault, trying to disrupt the alliance before it has a chance to mobiliize its unified defenses.

Chance quietly followed in total awe what was transpiring around her. The Captain and the crew quickly assessed a situation she barely had the understanding for. From what she had learned the Emerald Empire was trying to gain more influence or control in this section of space and some minor independent planets tried to keep their sovereignity.

The conflict as such was alien to her and she had trouble understanding the motivation of "Nations" and "Empires". Still they had a mission to fulfill and she was part of the crew. She only hoped she knew what to do when the time was right. Failing on her first mission wasn't an option. She had too much fail in her life to bear another set back. Nervously she watched what happened next, trying to thing of anything useful she could do...

* That was exactly what I was going to dig for next, Kataran.* Lt. Hodarg could hear the smile in Sapphire's psychic communication.*Give me a moment.*

Sapphire's eyes closed, her face calm, glorious lips curved in a faint smile. She crossed her perfect legs with a flourish, a foot kicking idly.

*The Emerald Empress has three agents already emplaced and active on Shangra-La. The Admiral and the Captain only know the contact methods of the agents. It seems the Empress wishes to keep her agents clandestine in case the disruption fails.

The Admiral and Captain have recently entrenched a fourth agent themselves, a young woman named Julia Williams. She has been trained in covert operations and possesses great skill in stealth, but from a military aspect, not as a mole.*

Kat considers before sending to the rest of the crew *Perhaps with the contact information I could watch to try to see what happens when they try to contact them. With the military agent I assume you couldpluck her last known location and orders from them, so she would be the easiest to locate and neutralise when necessary.*

Kat turns to Kaien, *Commander, if you do go ahead as an advance party I could watch the reaction of those around you that you may not be aware of and so try to ascertain those who may oppose our mission here. Assuming, of course, that my other duties permitted.*

Zade considered, "I have no tactical advice to offer in this situation, however I can download whatever skills or tactical knowledge you believe I require to be of assistance."

She was still too new. She cocked her head sideways slightly as behavioral programs suggested indicated consideration or curiosity and waited. She wasn't sure but she thought the emotion she was feeling might be frustration. Frustration at the huge gaps between her capabilities and experience. Without a framework of experience to call upon she was still adrift and trying to find the right path.

As the ship continued to move closer to the main planet, the representatives of the league continued to discuss the matter, and what they should do about it. The ship's of the Emerald Empire are unaware of being discovered, and remain in place, waiting themselves.

"Let's not split up the crew," Captain Daylan said easily from her central chair. She looked calm and composed, as if direct opposition to an already-shaky peace treaty was nothing to worry about. And perhaps for a woman of her talents it wasn't.

"Lt. Rose will be responsible for finding the other three moles, and we will keep an eye on them." Daylan turned to look at her blue-haired telepath, stating, "I'll need you to keep us appraised of their plans. When they act, I want them to find us there, waiting for them, thwarting them." Her voice was a bit sharp as she added, "They'll learn not to promote violence and disrupt the effort of bringing peace to all. Is this something that you can do, Sapphire?"

She caught the name after she'd spoken it, silently cursing herself. Still, she didn't dwell on it; such mistakes were bound to happen, and she would just have to do better in the future. "Lt. Hadorg, hold course for the peace conference. Commander, we'll all go down at the same time, but I appreciate your offer. Though I'd prefer to have you here, in case I need a ship dismantled." Her smile was a touch teasing, but it wasn't all humor. There was a measure of satisfaction there, too.

Sapphire turned in her chair, her avid gaze resting on Namiah, lips curved into a smile at hearing Nami use her name.

"The agent that the Admiral and Captain inserted themselves should be relatively easy to locate, especially with the details I can pluck from their minds. The other three moles that the Empress dispatched herself... That will be much more difficult. The lack of concrete details, you understand."

Sapphire gave a husky sigh and tossed her head, her blue mane rippling. "We will have to get into lunar orbit around Shangra-La before I can begin scanning the planet. And a scanning an entire planet... It will take time, near a full day of constant effort." Sapphire's grin turned wicked. "But you know I'm up to the task, Namiah.

*They may have other defenses that prevent me locating them, such as formidable telepathic shields or as sleeper agents, I will have to be lucky to notice the mental signatures that I will be looking for.* Captain Daylan felt the familiar touch of Sapphire's mind as she relayed her additional concerns privately.

Sapphire attention was drawn to Zade, rubbing her bare shoulders at the feeling of frustration emanating from ship's avatar. Using a light touch, Sapphire fed Zade a subtle feeling of calm and confidence. *Relax Zade, you are very young yet, the experience will come. As well, you must give us time to realize and learn to utilize the full extent of your own very adaptable capabilities. They are new to us as well.*

Chance followed the conversation still trying to pick out something where she could offer some kind of support or help. As the information was passed on telepathically she suddenly had an idea. It wasn't much and she was still guessing but maybe it would help Sapphire locate the three moles.

"If the Empress used magic to conceal the true identity of the moles I may be able to help you locate them, Sapphire?", Chance unlike the Captain wasn't aware that she was breaching protocol by calling Sapphire by her first name instead of her Rank and last name. "I just need some information about the Empress..."

Internally the Legion stirred and rattled their shackles. Chance would need their help if she wanted to find quick answers to her questions and that meant they'd get an opportunity to break out again. She gave the Captain a look of concern and hesitated waiting for her to give a go or not.

• 2 weeks later...

As the ship made the connection, a lovely young woman appeared on the screen. "Greetings, it is a pleasure to meet the envoys of the Galatic League, I am Tanya Malen, formerly of the Star Patrol, and now the Clan Chief of the Mystic Clan." Her mother had been killed a year ago, and she had left the Galactic League at that time in order to carry out what she considered her duty to her Clan. Of course, having been a member of the Star Patrol, she was rather powerful, and followed their virtues. "I am thankful to see that our request was answered."

tanyamalenmystic.jpg

"We were glad to come," Captain Daylan said, inclining her head slightly. "I can Captain Namiah Daylan of the Scheherazade. And I my crew look forward to meeting you in person. Where would you like like us to land?"

Namiah had read of Malen; since she was Clan Chief, Namiah had assumed that she'd be involved in the negotiations. She'd looked forward to meeting her; in some ways, once you were part of the Star Patrol, you always were part of it.

"We have reserved dock number 12 for the use of your ship and crew, however, you may want to keep your ship in orbit, and there is also a orbit reserved for you." She stopped, and then gave Namiah a bit of a sad smile.

"I've heard of you, Captain Daylan, I hope you can find a solution for us, right now, tensions are rather high in the meetings, what we need is a formal agreement by all parties, but no one is considered neutral here." She sighed. "They respect me, but my loyalties are considered compromised now that I must lead my clan."

Long experience with his powers had taught Kat the usefulness of touch typing, and while he maintained his visual focus on the Empress' flagship bridge in case Lt Rose needed to do anything more there, he requested a run down on any other known delegates to the talks.

Over the link he sends to Sapphire, with a smile, *Do you still need the image of the flagship Bridge or have you finished there for now? Because I should starting looking to get ready to park the ship sometime soon.*

Sapphire's lush lips bent into an admiring smile as she gazed at the attractive Animus woman on the viewer. The Animus were a lovely, passionate race, if prone to arrogance, of which Tanya seemed to be exempt, to Sapphire's delight.

Her unearthly beautiful Elan had already pulled her mind from Kataran's visual sensor, preparing to expand her thoughts to cover an entire planet in search of the Emerald Empress' agents.

Kataran could feel Sapphire's smile over their mental link, her warm regard sending a flash of aroused heat through his limbs. *I no longer need the remote viewing, Kat, I've have something else to focus on now. Thanks for sharing your unique perspective - I think at a later date, we should get together and find others ways of working in tandem. Who knows what we'll discover about each other.*

The enticingly teasing tone to Sapphire's psychic voice sent a shiver up Kataran's spine, his breath quickening as phantom lips briefly caressed his own.

Kat quickly stamped on the feelings Sapphire aroused with his not inconsiderable Will. *Perhaps Lt Rose, but I don't appreciate the distraction while on duty.* and with that he abruptly cuts the mental link to the rest of the crew. Behind the brief safety of his uniforms Mind Shield and his own Will, he turns back to his screen and splits the delegate data into a window while he adjusts the flightpath to match the assigned orbit.

"On course for assigned Orbit as an initial stage Captain."

Kaien checked his own duty station and announced the figures on the security forces for the conference. "They've got enough there to cause damage on both sides, but not enough for a coup. The ships in system however more than make up the balance of power. I'm willing to bet that they're waiting for things to truly go sour, then they storm in and take what they want."

The ship is piloted into orbit, the Captain and crew now having a much more complete idea of the various forces arrayed against them. Can they solve the various problems that are arrayed against them? What tasks will each of them take up?

Archived