Mutants & Masterminds: Galactic League - Prelude #0: New Assigments

Krul

The Senior Guardian, and Galaxy Commander of the Milky Way, who had been the Galaxy Commander for the last century, despite his apparent youth, was Admiral Jerald Tarnison, an handsome man with long silver hair, and deep blue eyes. The Commander was quite powerful in his own right, with the power to mimic any powers of any ten individuals on sight, and to keep any such powers for as long as he desired.

Today, he had invited one of the captains who fell under his leadership for her next assignment. He paused a moment to look over her dossier once again, before nodding to himself, she was the right person for this task.

Once she arrived, he gave her a momentary admiring look; she was beautiful after all, and worth a look, but otherwise got down to business. "Captain Daylan, thank you for coming, we're assigning you to a new Ship, its the top of the line, state of the art vessel, first of it's kind, the GL-7000 'Scheherazade'"

"This is a mixed assignment, and as such, we've arranged for your primary command already.. they should be here in the next few days, some I believe are already here, awaiting their new Captain."

He paused a moment "The Ships central Avatar has awoken to full sentience, but is presently unavailable, its processing power is concentrating on shaping a new physical body, and we have a specific individual in mind for your Weapons Officer, but they are not available for assignment yet. I believe you know most of them." He put a number of different folders on the desk in front of her, containing the dossiers of the various crew members.

Captain Daylan had been expecting this, but expectation didn't diminish the moment. Her time as the commander the Edmund Fitzgerald had given her a taste for the rigors of command. She admitted, but only to herself, a measure of concern. The Edmund had been a humanitarian ship; the Scheherazade was definitely not. She was somewhat familiar with the ship, having heard rumors about her. With a relaxing inhale and exhale, she released the tension of the moment, freeing herself to be.

"Thank you for this honor, Admiral Tarnison," she said smiling at him. Delicately she reached out and pulled the folders toward her. The admiral's preference for pulped fiber products was well known throughout his chain of command, and most were happy to indulge him. Even Captain Daylan had to admit that she liked the exotic feel of the solid materials, instead of the more sterile data pad screens.

She began to flip through the folders. The first one was about one of the fighters, Kaien Saotome. She scanned the information, and found herself both relieved and disturbed that he was so good at killing. The next folder made her slow down and read carefully. A member of the Circle of Mystics, but who was just an Ensign and apparently some kind of demon prison. The next folder had her heart racing - T'aeg! She stopped herself carefully, deliberately schooling her excitement down to a murmur of delight. T'aeg wouldn't appreciate her getting worked up over his assignment, and she didn't want to discomfort the Last Builder. But the last folder managed to agitate her even more - Sapphire's smiling face brought out too many memories for her to remain calm, even just looking at her picture. Captain Daylan took another set of cleansing breaths before saying, "This is an unusual crew. And these are only the first four." She let the unasked question hang between them like a crystal breath of air.

"None of them have been chosen at random, one of our oracles have indicated that this group is going to be vital for the future." He paused a moment. "Your actually about to get a broader assignment, to the entire Galactic Cluster rather then just the Milky Way."

He paused a moment, and his eyes became blank, as he got an incoming telepathic message. "Ah, it seems that Lieutenant Kerong is going to be available for your weapons officer sooner then I expected, this is good news. And your Medical Officer has been confirmed, I believe you know her as well, she was part of your Academy Class, if in a different field."

"Really," Captain Daylan inquired, feeling some of her elation fade. She hadn't earned her place on the Scheherazade; it had been granted to her by an oracle. Then she realized that it meant that she was the woman for the job, or she would be. And in the end, that was much the same. "Very well. Do you have a specific mission for us to start, or is this just a general debriefing?"

"Actually, I do." He pulled out a plastic sheet, this time, not a paper file, but this was because it was sent to him this way. He paused a moment, to give her a look, one of the powers he'd kept for a long time, after he'd reached this rank was the ability to sense emotions, so he shook his head slightly. "I would have ignored the oracles if I didn't think you were the woman for the job."

He then put down the plastic sheet in front of her, as it displayed the next mission. It appeared that a small cluster of about 21 star systems just on the outskirts of the Emerald Empire were seeking to remain independent of it, and the Empress was seeking to absorb them into her empire. "You have the diplomatic status necessary for this mission, as a Captain and Ambassador of the Galactic League, you have full authority to deal with the matter as you see fit. These systems are presently independent of one another but the threat of the Empire has forced them to join together, they are still working on a collective constitution, and they have applied to the League for aid, with regards to both problems."

The plastic sheet had the data on the 21 star systems, the Empire, the units the Empress had in the area, and what sorts of potential threats one might encounter.

"We have also had indications that the Wraith Shard faction of the Necrophage may be found in that area of space." The sheet referenced that faction, indicating that they were a group of the Necrophage who had transformed themselves into undead wraith-like beings who could walk the void of space with ease. They often attempted to encourage wars and unrest, as well as terrorist activity, as they would drink the energies gained from it, like a vampire would drink blood. "We believe that they would like to make the situation even more unstable, a war would suit them perfectly."

He stood up, and gestured to the door. "We should go meet your crew now, Captain, I believe a number of them are aboard your ship already."

Captain Daylan stood up and saluted. Though she was outwardly calm, her mind was racing, going over the upcoming mission. She needed to review the Emerald Empress; she had studied her before, but she needed to be sure she hadn't forgotten anything. "I would like to meet my crew," she said, eager to see T'aeg and Sapphire again. She wondered how the woman would take being her subordinate. She wondered how she would handle being under Sapphire - again. Both of them would just have to adapt.

She followed the Admiral as he walked toward her new ship.

The admiral let her out to the Scheherazade which was fully docked at the moment, it had already been on one test flight, with only the AI running it, all systems were fully functional.

He walked her through the docking clamps, and then stopped at the entrance to her ship. "As the Captain you should enter and take command before I do, it's only proper protocol after all." And it would make him a guest aboard her ship, even as the Admiral. He wasn't even completely certain where everyone was aboard, though the ship had been designed for different sizes in mind, including T'aeg's considerable height.

Captain Daylan nodded to the Admiral. "Thank you, sir," she said before squaring her shoulders and stepping into her command.

"Identify," a computerized, feminine voice commanded.

"Captain Namiah Daylan, commander of the Scheherazade," she said, hearing a twinge of pride in her voice.

A soft whistle sounded. "Identity confirmed," the computer replied. "Welcome aboard, Captain Daylan."

"Thank you," she said, then turned to the Admiral. "Please be welcome aboard the Scheherazade. If you'll come with me to the bridge?" Her only regret at the sudden assignment was that she didn't know her way around herself.

The Admiral smiled and nodded, once she had indentified herself to the ship, and waited a moment longer, as the computerized voice spoke again.

"Captain Daylan, Indentity confirmed, activating command protocol, datalink extended... scanning DNA, retnal pattern set, mental gesalt complete." At that moment she felt a computerized gesualt touch her mind, and a green light show over her. "Captain, you have command."

Once that was done, the Admiral stepped aboard and waved for her for continue, as they both headed down to the bridge.

Archived