World of Darkness: Attrition - Indulgence [Complete]

Logic1

The moon shone dimly through the gently parted black out curtains. Johnathan fingered his mobile phone as he looked at the luminous orb, coldly indifferent. He checked the time for no apparent reason. No rush, he had all the time in the world these days and little to do with it.

Stepping away from the window he examined the belongings he'd amassed. The modernity of his condo was empty and lacking in feeling to him, but company seemed to enjoy it. From the stainless steel appliances to the marble countertops everything was cold, himself included.

He tugged at his cufflinks and brushed dirt from the sleeve of his black suitjacket. Pacing the floor he then adjusted the knot on his blood red necktie. An ironic choice in his mind given his feeding habits. His black silk shirt shuddered slightly as he moved gracefully about his haven. Final preparations before stepping out.

Johnathan gave the space a final glance before exiting. He sighed out of reflex. It felt strange to breath he thought to himself as he entered the elevator. His destination undecided he watched the buttons light and listened to the rhythmic ding as he descended. What nightclub would it be this time? The LA Amorpha more than likely. The place always seemed filled with good willing...specimens. Johnathan chuckled out loud at the thought.

The doorman gave John a slight nod which he returned as he opened the door. Outside his chariot awaited. As he slipped into the backseat of the cab he couldn't help but turn up his nose slightly at the stench. A healthy combination of the driver and the cab itself.

"The Amorpha" that was all he said to the man for the length of the drive. His head leaned back against the set comfortably he closed his eyes and opened his ears to the sounds around him. It wasn't long before his reverie was interrupted by the abrupt stopping of a car and the sound of the driver's voice.

"The Amorpha" he said a sarcastic grin on his face. John returned the grin comforted by the fact that if he wanted he could almost literally crush the man. He exited the man after he handed him his money. He made it a point not to wait for his change.

Outside the bar were the usuals. Would-be socialiates, vacationers, and college students. It was no small wonder he loved this place. Without giving so much as a casual glance to anyone in the congregation, John made his way to the door.

• 2 weeks later...

August sighed and shifted slightly, leaning toward the mirror to apply her mascara. She'd gotten used to having a makeup girl to take care of this for her, but it felt extravagant to do it at home.

Graham hadn't called in a while, and she was lonely. They weren't dating anyway, not really. Coffee, some phone calls and some texts weren't a relationship, not really. So she needed to go out and have some fun and forget about guys who didn't do anything.

Satisfied with her makeup, she stepped back and took another look at her black slacks and blue shirt. It was perfect - casual but sexy, announcing that she was looking for company but probably wasn't easy. August fluffed her black hair, winked and blew her reflection a kiss.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

"Hi," she said to the doorman of The Amorpha. She wasn't sure about this place; it seemed more like a place for students. But she was willing to bet that someone here would be older and looking for a relationship and not just sex. Feigning a boldness she didn't feel, she'd walked past the waiting people and asked, "What's the cover?"

He looked her over and shrugged. "Five at the end of the line - it's a bit steeper if you want in from the front." He'd spoken just softly enough that he couldn't be heard by the people waiting.

"You want a bribe?" she asked, feeling the blush creep up her cheeks. "Damn it, I'm hot enough to get in for free! Or at least at the base rate."

"Who the fuck are you again? Hot ain't enough, babe," he said, crossing his arms. "You gotta be someone." He grinned. "Or know someone. Like my friend Ulysses Grant."

The woman at the door was absolutely stunning. A grin spread across his lips. Johnathan walked a little faster to the door. If his heart beat it would skipped one. He brushed swiftly past the crowd his query nearly in reach.

"Having trouble?" he whispered playfully in the vixen's ear as he placed his hand gently on the small of her back.

He handed the doorman a bill and nodded to him "she's with me."

The bouncer clearly knew him and nodded back and stepped aside. He looked to the woman, "shall we?"

August gasped as someone touched her back, and her blue eyes gazed up at him with a healthy dose of suspicion and distrust. She weighed how much she wanted inside with how much she was willing to trust a stranger. Finally, she nodded but she didn't allow her body to lean into the curve of his arm.

Inside, the club was loud, and August felt a bit more relaxed. It was packed in here; he couldn't harm her with this many people around. She leaned a bit closer to his ear and, loudly enough to be heard over the driving music, said, "Thanks for the help! I'm August. What's your name?"

He smelled good; must be his aftershave, she mused. And he was attractive, all dark hair and eyes. Her caution slipped away a bit more.

"August I'm Johnathan" he responded casually "can I interest you in a drink?".

Motioning to the bar Johnathan looked deep into August's eyes completely in his element. She was a dazzling specimen indeed there was no questioning that. All he had to do now was loosen her up, make her comfortable. That was the easy part...almost boring.

Straightening his jacket he moved to the bar. As he walked he glanced back to August the same wry smile on his face. He had little doubt she'd follow. The deck was stacked.

Boy, he's confident. He was, enough that it was a bit annoying, as if he knew she was 'in the bag'. With a shrug she finally followed him. He was hot, and he was buying. Neither obligated her to anything. And besides, she was here to have fun, not be a big fat worry-wart.

The bar was crowded, and August found herself pushed up against Johnathan. She gave him that awkward smile that let him know that she wasn't doing this on purpose. It didn't stop him from getting the pleasure of having her warm, living body firmly against his.

She requested a Sex on the Beach, sniffing the fruity drink to make sure the bartender had it right. "Thanks," she shouted to Johnathan, taking a drink.

Johnathan looked to August as she was forced into him. He returned her unassuming, almost apologetic smile with a small shake of his head and a chuckle. If he weren't so disillusioned he would have found her warmth comforting. As it stood, he was simply going through the motions yet again.

When the bartender handed over the drink Johnathan handed over a platinum credit card he'd seemingly pulled form nowhere. He leaned in to the bartender and said "keep the tab open" Returning his attention to the young woman he offered a "my pleasure".

Watching as she sniffed then sipped the drink Johnathan leaned into her slightly, "would you like to move to a less crowded, more comfortable area of the club?"

Click to reveal..
rolling seduction: 1d10=10; 1d10=7; 1d10=4; 1d10=10; 1d10=9; 1d10=8; 1d10=2

1d10=4 1d10=9 ; 5 sux

3(presence)+4(persuasion[seduction])+1(offered drink)+1(striking looks)-2(7 Humanity)=7 dice

His request made her heart beat pick up. August studied him for a moment, knowing that in club-speak, 'less crowded, more comfortable' meant 'place to make out'. "Don't you think you should at least dance with me first?" she asked him, tilting her head at him cutely. She reached up and smoothed a strand of hair behind her ear, wondering if he would turn the invitation down, and really hoping he wouldn't.

Her hand passed through cold air and sudden ice poured down her spine. A gust of icy air brushed her ear and August froze, her eyes widening until Johnathan could see white all the way around. Then a phantom sound brushed her perception, but August desperately ignored it. She didn't hear the whispered warning.

Click to reveal..

Although he hadn't been around the world, Johnathan had been around the block. Enough so that he was adept at reading signals. He matched her head tilt and offered yet another smile before accepting the beauty's invitation. She smelled exquisite, a strong counterpoint to the club.

"I'd love to" he said and nodded curtly to the dancefloor. Not the best place for his machinations, but it was a start. He unbuttoned and then removed hsi jacket befor handing it over to the bartender, nothing more than a ploy to reveal his well toned frame. He'd managed to keep it up quite well during his life and he was still reaping the benefits.

As he walked backwards toward the dancefloor he waved August forward with both hands and winked "I hope I can keep up with you" he said with the most charming smile he could muster.

Click to reveal..
seduction part 2 (contested)

1d10=6, 1d...7, 1d10=8 4 sux

3(manipulation)+4(persuasion[seduction])=7 dice

August tried to shrug off the eerie sensation. She managed a smile for Johnathan as he stripped off his jacket - which earned him a mental 'Wow...' - and headed to the dance floor. August just said, "I'm sure you won't have a problem" and drained her glass. Smiling a little more broadly as the alcohol began to affect her, she followed him out onto the floor, already moving to the music.

Matching her movements Johnathan continued toward the dancefloor but not before pulling her in close to him. He gazed deep into her eyes as the two moved in unison to the hypnotic rhythms, their frames gently pressed into one another.

"So what are you escaping from?" Johnathan queried, gently caressing August's ear with his breath as he did so. The bouncing lights played beautifully off her skin as she swayed in rhythm to the sound, "we're all running from something aren't we?" he further questioned, the levity in his voice more than evident.

August quirked an eyebrow at the psycho-analysis, but she took it with good nature, stating, "Well, let's see, I have a great, new job in the field I like... I'm having a good night out with pleasant company... I have so much to run from." The alcohol crept into her system a bit more and she snugged her arms around him. Shouldn't have had that drink... making me sloppy...

Cold air touched her again; she felt that familiar crawling sensation. Another couple shivered and moved away from them.

At her answer Johnathan threw his head back and laughed, "you must be the exception that proves the rule. So what is it a beautiful woman like you does professionally?" he reached up and brushed an errant lock of hair out of August's face.

"I'm glad to hear you're enjoying my company. The feeling is mutual", he added, "you'd think being here would remind of the monotony that is my work but the company this time goes a long way in helping" Johnathan continued to further ply August with words as the pair continued to dance. His evening was becoming everything he'd planned and prepared for. Anyone else would have been enthused at the idea of spending the evening with a beautiful woman in an upscale club but not the empty shell that was Johnathan Breedlove.

"Would you care to continue dancing or can I interest you in another drink?" he inquired.

"We're talking, let's sit down." It made sense, even if the dance had been too short.

As they went back, August considering lying about her job; but when they were back in their seats she gave a soft laugh that was lost in the music and admitted, "I'm a ghost hunter." At his look, she quickly said, "Actually, I'm a actress currently working in a ghost hunting reality show. They don't want me to act, really, they just needed someone attractive who can work a camera and give expressive reactions." She sighed and said, "We are kinda playing back up and second string to Cal. It's his show, his idea - he just needed more crew to help him. And I... got the job."

She was straying too close to things she didn't want to talk about. "What do you do?" Talk about him, not you.

Taking August by the hand Johnathan walked toward a roped off section of the club. Upon arriving he looked to his companion and grinned. The bouncer opened the are to the pair and Johnathan was met with yet another nod from a staff member. He showed her to a table adn politely removed a chair for her before he sat himself. Close but not too close.

Johnathan was positive she'd misinterpereted his look at the mention of her job. It wasn't until she said the words "reality show" that he relaxed. He was certain the tension in his face had visibly slackened. Leaning back in his chair he folded his legs.

"Well congrtulations! That sounds interesting. I'll have to keep my eyes open for it...and you" he cocked his head to the side slightly "if they were looking for a pretty face they couldn't have done a better job. I'm sure it won't be long before you outshine...Cal was it?" Johnathan offered.

As he uncrossed his legs he reached into his pocket and removed a business card holder "I'm a club slash event promoter" he handed her his card "when a club opens or someone throws an event they hire me to advertise and then fill the place...which is to say I always know where the best parties are" he winked slyly.

• 3 weeks later...

August grinned and took the card from him. "I'll be sure to tell people," she said easily, "if you'll get me into some of the bigger parties where I can get my face out and be seen. That's what I think I really need Thre-... my last movie didn't show anywhere but on the B-movie rotation on the SciFi channel. I need more exposure to make it big." Her eyes glowed with ambition as she said, "And someday, I'll be really big."

With chagrin, she realized she'd started talking about herself again. "So you know all the people?" she asked. "Who is the most famous person you've ever met?"

'The Prince at my presentation' he thought to himself. He chose to go with another answer.

"The most famous..." he laughed, "who's your favorite tabloid queen?" John offered in response "I honestly don't keep track" he said and handed over his mobile "take a look, you'll recognize some names.

He uncrossed his legs and leaned in, "I can get your face out there"

"So tell me about this movie" he trailed of.

August flinched just a little, even as she wanted to tell this man more about herself. "Well, it was..." She sighed. "It's title was Three Rings of Death. It's about a circus lion who is possessed by a demon and goes on a killing rampage." She didn't quite meet his eyes as she confessed, "It wasn't very good - I mean, I did my best, but the script was flat and the plot was just awful."

She flipped through the mobile quickly, noting the names of people in it. Johnathan was someone who would be good to know - someone her agent loved for her to be seen with in public. She handed the phone back. "Nice list," she told him.

"...interesting" it took all he had to contain his laughter "it doesn't sound like you had much to work with. Don't worry, everyone's got a couple on their resume" he countered with a dissmissive wave.

He watched her face intently as she scrolled through his phone, searching for any reaction. Her hands displayed her delicacy for all to see as she manipulated the phone's touchscreen

"Would you mind adding yourself to the 'list'?" he ventured as she reached out with the phone.

August smiled, thinking, Ok, so he's smooth. Nice trait. She quickly typed her name and number into the phone, displaying the proficiency of someone who had been texting for years. "There you go-"

Behind him stood a woman, her body twisted and mashed. Her arms looked as if they'd been pounded into her chest with a hammer, as if she's been squeezed into a spot too small for her. Her legs were twisted one over the other in a way that couldn't have been comfortable. Her club dress was from the eighties, as were her giant earrings and massive bangs. August stared at her, her hands starting to shake. The woman pointed her arm toward a wall, her bones crunching as the broken ends ground together.

With a hiss of in-drawn air, August squeezed her eyes shut and clenched her fists. It's not there, it's not there, you're not seeing it, it's not there, just ignore it, it's not there.

Johnathan!

Pull yourself together. Get a grip!

With effort, August opened her eyes. It was gone, and she felt tears of relief try to rise. Blinking them back, she smiled at Johnathan and offered lamely, "Sorry, my stomach is bothering me... I should go."

I should go and die in a fire for screwing up this opportunity! God damn it! They're dead, their lives are ruined - why do they try to ruin mine, too?

Quirking an eyebrow he watched as her eyes closed and she tensed. Anyone could have surmised that August's stomach wasn't the issue. Especially a socially affluent vampire like himself. It looked as if she were having a fit. Almost like she was afraid. He could spot fear.

"Are you sure its your stomach?" he gazed deep into her eyes, "you can talk to me" he prodded.

He was right. She could trust him. "I, um... I see ghosts," she confessed in a soft whisper. As his eyebrows jumped in surprise, she added, "There was one behind you. She looked like she'd been mashed into a small space, and she pointed at a wall."

Now that her confession had spilled from her lips, she was a little surprised that she'd trusted him so rapidly. She hadn't told anyone about her gift, not in her adult life. Not since Tyson, and that had gone so well. But Johnathan was differnt.

Click to reveal..
August's Composure+Blood Potency (HAHA!) check: 0 sux

1d10=4, 1d10=2

What an interesting turn of events. She just kept getting better and better. Johnathan had no doubt that his efforts to hide his surprise at August's relevation had failed on a level bordering on epic. He wasn't what sure what surprised him more, that she saw ghosts or that she'd genuinely shocked him.

"What does she want from you?" Johnathan asked after regaining his composure.

Click to reveal..
hahaha! Blood potency huh? Didn't see that coming!

"Who knows?" August asked, waving a hand dismissively. "They always want something, and half the time, it's a pain in the ass. They have issues that they haven't resolved, or they just can't let go of what happened to them." She paused as she remembered a promise to another ghost, long ago.

"Look at it this way, Johnathan. You are one of the few that can talk to people in wheelchairs. Now, some of those wheelchair-bound people can take care of themselves, or things aren't too bad for them. But all the rest need your help, because you're the only one that can help them at all. So they keep coming around, and while it may only take five minutes to help one, you've got hundreds of five minutes of your time being taken," August said, frowning and looking frustrated. "I feel for them, and I do want to help them. But if I did, I wouldn't be doing anything else with my life, and it's my life." She blushed a little. "Sorry about the rant. I've been holding that inside for a while."

Johnathan feigned interest at her tyriad, "don't feel bad. Everyone's entitled" he reassured her.

He hoped he didn't seem too nonchalant. After all she had just said she saw ghosts. He put on a more appropriate face. One that said 'I'm freaked out and I want to believe you'.

Johnathan rose from his seat and extended his hand to August "let's get out of here huh?" he made it a point to look around "sounds like it got crowded in."

But August didn't immediately take his hand. "Go where?" she asked. He was still a stranger, and while she trusted him, there was a great deal of difference between trusting him and trusting him. He'd accepted her statement easily, without demanding proof. He hadn't even talked about pulling down that wall and seeing if something were in there.

Now that she thought about, he'd been working on isolating her all night. That was to be expected; he was clearly trolling for an easy lay, but a lot of guys would have fled after her revelation. She knew this from personal experience. The fact that he wasn't implied that he was crazier than she was, or that he had ulterior motives for her. Either possibility had her scared.

Click to reveal..
August's Wits+Empathy, sparked by her derangement: 1 sux

Popping ten: 0 sux

That's enough for her to question him, I think. She's still interested in him, and would consider going with him, but she'd like to know where.

Click to reveal..
I was hoping to make her suspiscous. Figured you'd get it ;-)

He waited as she mulled over his invitation, "away from here. It seems forward to invite you to my condo. I guess I hadn't thought that far in advance" Johthan laughed "this just doesn't seem like the best setting in light of recent events" he gestured about the room.

The ghost talk had pulled him farther from his zone than he'd have liked to have admitted. He scrambled "I could see you home and we could discuss your career"

August quirked an eyebrow. That was interesting. Taking her home gave her control, or he thought that she would feel comfortable enough in her own area to give him a fuck. She didn't; she'd come here looking for a good time, but the episode with the ghost had killed her libido flat. All she wanted was to go home, to her condo, and take a hot bath - alone.

"Thank you," she said, smiling, "but I don't take guys to my house on the first date, or right after meeting them in a bar. You understand - it can be dangerous for a girl out there."

She wanted to take him home, but that fearful voice in the back of her mind wouldn't let her consider it. It was just too dangerous; he could be a mugger or rapist.

"I understand completely. I only meant to see that you got there safely" he flashed a warm smile. Of course he had no intention of killing her. And he could wait to feed. He wasn't honestly that hungry...not really. And even if he were this was far too good a specimen to force the issue.

'Longvision Johnathan, you've got potentially an eternity to plan for' he reminded, almost chided, himself. If his sire had taught him nothing else she'd taught him to surround himself with the 'right' individuals.

"Thank you," August said. She stood up and took his hand. "Why don't you get me a cab? I can make it home from there." It would be much safer for her, overall.

She studied him as she waited for his answer. He was so hot - why couldn't this night have gone better? And with his connections, she had a chance of breaking out soon. Stupid ghosts, she sulked for a second, careful to not let Johnathan see that.

John led August back to the bar to settle his tab. After retreiving his jacket and card he made for the door August at his side. As they made their way through the crowd Johnathan laced his fingers between hers. Didn't want to get separated after all.

"I'll make some calls tomorrow. I'm sure I know someone with a role to fill", he assured her as he parted the masses. He released her hand long enough to take it in his other as he placed his now free hand on the small of her back and gently ushered her.

August smiled at his possessive gesture - so male. And she had to internally laugh at her little thrill of excitement in reaction. Together they walked outside; she was silent as her mind wandered back to the ghost. She didn't want to think about it; god knows she didn't want to consider what it might want. She got into enough trouble because of them.

His comment about calls broke her out of her reverie, and August grinned at him, hope in her eyes. "Really?" she asked, ignoring the way he was pulling her closer to him. "That would be super if you could get me another part." Her voice lowered a touch and she murmured, "I'd owe you one."

'Yes...yes you would' he mused internally. He'd meant what he'd said. He would make the calls. And he would find her work. He released her hand however his arm remained around her waist as the pair exited the venue.

The line didn't appear to have gotten any shorter during their time inside. As they walked past the doorman again he gave the lethal lethario a knowing glance and head nod which Johnathan returned with total nonchalance. Walking to the curb Johnathan scanned the street for a cab.

August smiled at Johnathan as he kept her wrapped in the protective embrace of his arm. "Such a gentleman," she murmured to him with a little smile; despite her worries about him, she enjoyed the attention from a handsome man.

A cab pulled up, and August stepped away from Johnathan, standing so that he couldn't join her in the cab. "Thank you," she said with an enticing smile, and stood on her tiptoes to kiss him lightly on the cheek. "Good night."

Chuckling softly Johnathan caressed her waist lightly with his thumb "a gentleman compliments a lady well" he quipped. A cab pulled to the curb at John's behest. When August moved between him and the cab John kept his hand in place "do call and let me know you got in alright" another smile.

As the vixen slid into the cab Johnathan couldn't help but admire her lithe frame. She was actually quite beautiful. While she did so he made his way to the driver and handed off yet another bill "talk to you soon".

August nodded, glad that Johnathan was being a gentleman as well as playing the part. "I'll call you when I get home," she agreed, smiling. When she closed the door, she glanced at the cabbie and murmured her address. With a nod, he pulled away from the curb and merged with the West Hollywood traffic, leaving Johnathan behind.

August kept her word and called him as soon as she got home, letting him know she was safe. His concern was touching, and if he continued to be a sweetheart like this, August might have a new boyfriend soon. The thought was comforting; it had been far too long since she'd been able to trust a guy enough to let him in her heart.

Archived