Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Virtus Arach - Chapter 1: Getting to Know You

Dave ST

"Oh, it's uh," Brennan lowered the paper so Deezy could get a better look at it. "Fortune Teller's daughter wants us to help her get her father's powers back. Whatever that means. Your more than welcome to come along. It doesn't pay much, but I like to think of the low paying ones as good practice. Chances are she doesn't have a lot of money, usually when it's an individual they have to come 'out of pocket' to pay us for the work.

He shrugged. "Most mages put a little too much value on their ability and look for the higher paying jobs, to each their avarice. C'mon Deez, let's get some lunch then we'll head on over to the 'house by the well'," his voice went kinda spooky. "Sounds kinda creepy huh?"

He put his arm over Deezy's shoulder and lead her off to the bar to get some food.

"The fortune teller sounds fun though! Getting lost power back...which makes you wonder, how do you lose something like that? Did she check behind things? Retrace her steps? A job for a real detective!"

Then, with no loss in enthusiasm, she shifted gears. "But ghost hunting would be fun too! I'm sure I could make us something that would trap a ghost, and hold it indefinitely. Ecto...lytic...something or other..."

The young magelet's eyes turned distant and she looked away for a moment, thinking about something that would almost surely be unintentionally devastating to the environment around her.

"Eheh, no," Rose grinned, shaking her head in clear negative as she snatched the notice from the job board and strolled over, the sound of her boot heels clear even above the dull roar in the tavern. Companionably, she looped one arm around Ambrose's shoulders and addressed the group.

"Money and a bar tab? Don't worry. We've got this ghost, or whatever it is, under control. You guys have fun with your wagon destroying and well-diving!"

"I'll take that as a no, shall we go then Ryoma?" Shayla came over to settle down on her shoulder as Crystal tapped her staff lightly on the ground, and a made a chime sound though the room. "We'll tell you all how it goes later." She glanced at the other mage's present, and then waved goodbye, as she headed toward the door, pausing a moment to allow Ryoma to join her, when he was ready to.

Ambrose was standing there, past the threshold of awkwardness as the conversation had continued completely around his offer, when finally Rose took the offer. At her mention of the payment, a rather smug smile crept onto his face as he looked around to see who was left, raising his voice slightly to make sure they could hear.

"I finally find someone with their priorities straight. Thanks Rose, at least you can understand the merits of keeping your spending money and your drinking money seperate."

His voice lowered to a normal level as he continued, "So, now that the smug wiseassery is out of the way, wanna go register it with Claire and head on over?"

With a knowing smirk, Rose shook her head and watched Ryoma go. Suddenly, in unison, she and Ambrose uttered a loud, feline, "Mrow!" and cracked invisible whips with their free hands; they even went so far as to provide the proper sound effect before dissolving into laughter.

"To priorities!" the bright-eyed lass cried, clinking her mug against her partner's.

"Claire!" she turned jovially to the gorgeous woman behind the bar. "Ambrose and I-"

"Are taking the ghost hunting job. Got it," Claire winced, offering them a slightly weary smile. It was going to be another long night.

Brennan smirked at the antics of Rose and Ambrose. He did find it a bit humorous the way Crystal summoned Ryoma over to her like he was some servant of hers and he just went along with it like he enjoyed the abuse. Either way, if he wanted to play her whipping boy it was Ryoma's business not his.

"Hey Claire," He said to the gorgeous woman beyond the bar.

"I know, Sweetie," she beamed a smile that could light up the sky at midnight. "You three are taking the Fortune Finder job."

"Yeah." He replied.

"Be safe, out there, okay guys?" She grinned a caring grin and logged them in the books.

Archived