Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Virtus Arach - BESM Madness!

Dave ST

So, I think I have a good enough grasp on the BESM system to run a game and have been considering the concept of a cliche anime style game with thrills, chills, and excitement.

The premise is simple: the PCs will be all member of the same magical guild where they hang out, live life, and have a blast. Often times the surrounding cities send out a call for assistance when faced with problems that they are unable to or are unequipped to handle. They post up ‘jobs’ on the guild’s job board and off the PCs go…

You are a member of Virtus Arach, one of the largest guilds in the land. Great huh? Not really… you see Virtus Arach is a sort of a reject among the magical guilds, basically it's filled with screw-ups. Only a few members are actually worthy mages (the PCs), the rest are cast offs whose magical abilities are either very weak or they inherited a style of magic that isn’t very useful (like ‘Dish Magic’, the power to magically scrub, dry, and put away dishes).

Master Hideki (whose name means ‘Splendid Opportunity’), the master of Virtus Arach, is an aging mage who has never accepted that magical ability, no matter what form it takes, is ever useless. Taking in every wayward soul over the years has led Virtus Arach to become more of an orphanage of reject mages than an actual guild. The fact the they screw things up at every opportunity doesn’t help their reputation either.

But, guilds need money to run and Jobs bring in money!

The game will be BESM 3rd Edition.

Genre – Heroic Fantasy. The PCs are all mages of a guild. The term ‘mage’ is a loose one as it represents simply, the ability to use magic. Magic is what will allow the PCs to do impossible things like summon creatures to fight for them, augment their attacks with elemental power, or defend their fellow guildmates.

Magic comes at a price; every use of magic diminishes your Magical Energy, or in game terms your energy points.

Period – Another World: Fantasy. The game will take place in the mystical lands of Solteria. This is a mixed world of both modern-day and fantasy. The technology level is rather low (medieval) but the average day-to-day goings on is rather modern. People wear jeans and t-shirts with logos on them while the city guardsman are clad in breastplates and equipped with swords. Like some Anime and Manga… it doesn’t really make sense, and it doesn’t really have to. This way your PC can have the 'trench coat and leather pants' look or can be a cos-play addict with a variety of different outfits and still 'fit in' so to speak...

Most high tech things are just low-tech magical equivalents due to magical energy powering them, like a ‘telephone’, which might actually be two crystal balls that display an image of each caller from a separate location.

Category – Mixed (Action, Drama, Romance & Comedy). If done right the game should include all the above elements.

Game Concepts and Theme

The simplest concept is that the PCs will be all member of the same magical guild where they hang out, live life, and have a blast. Often times the surrounding cities send out a call for assistance when faced with problems that they are unable to or are unequipped to handle. They post up ‘jobs’ on the guild’s job board and off the PCs go…

You are a member of Virtus Arach, one of the largest guilds in the land. Great huh? Not really… you see Virtus Arach is a sort of a reject among the magical guilds. Only a few members are actually worthy mages (the PCs), the rest are cast offs whose magical abilities are either very weak or they inherited a style of magic that isn’t very useful (like ‘Dish Magic’, the power to magically scrub, dry, and put away dishes).

Master Hideki (whose name means ‘Splendid Opportunity’), the master of Virtus Arach, is an aging mage who has never accepted that magical ability, no matter what form it takes, is ever useless. Taking in every wayward soul over the years has led Virtus Arach to become more of an orphanage of reject mages than an actual guild. The fact the they screw things up at every opportunity doesn’t help their reputation either.

But, guilds need money to run and Jobs bring in money!

Magic - Magic takes many forms but only a few gifted people learn to channel that power. It can quite literally be anything you can think of but is usually a mystical way to improve an individual’s own capability and permit them to do the impossible. One thing is consistent however and that is magic always follows a theme.

Mages who are aligned with the element of fire do not add ice to their list abilities. Sword techniques can be magical, gun techniques; any numbers of ideas are possible.

Every form of magic the character expresses is it’s own ‘power’ and powers are fueled by magical energy and always fall under the PCs theme, for this reason all the PCs powers are assigned the ‘Deplete’ restriction.

Because all of the characters magical attacks are considered ‘weapons’ and each is a separate spell, the costs of having more than one weapon are not halved.

Examples:

Ice Shield (Shield 6 (24), Protection 6 (6, variable), Deplete 3EP/Round (-3))

The ice shield provides 16 points of protection but costs the user 3EP round to maintain. However the power only costs 1 point per rank, plus the costs of variables.

Characters may very well have high energy totals, and that’s fine, in fact EP costs on powers may go up or down as the game progresses.

Basically if it allows you to accomplish the impossible, it’s a power (or spell) and costs you energy. It’s for this reason that characters should have ways of defending themselves besides just their magic.

Forbidden Magics - Some forces of nature are too powerful to be tampered with. It’s for this reason that characters may not possesses magic that relates to the magics that are considered ‘Forbidden’. These are: Time, War, Death, Life, Law, Chaos, Heaven, Hell, Dimensional, Weather, Gravity and Magentisim.

It should be noted that ‘Life’ also governs ‘Healing’ and ‘Regeneration’.

I will accept a single PC who knows healing magic, however, they better have a damn good background to back it up with and it will not be cheap on EP.

I'm still deciding on the point allotment for the game.

A character may take Regenerate EP. However the EP regeneration must be linked to a specific source, it'd be awfully dumb if I allowed you to regenerate more EP than your PC is spending, after all if that were the case there'd be no point in having deplete if you just countered it with Regen EP, now would there?

For example if you use Lightning Magic then you can regenerate EP from absorbing lightning... you could not however absorb lightning you created yourself, or that was created through magic, it must be natural. Oh, and it'll probably hurt too...

In any and all cases I'll decide what is appropriate for regaining EP.

Characters should not and will not have any means of giving themselves infinite staying power.

Is 'summoning' a theme unto itself, as in Final Fantasy, or should a wannabe summoner have a subtheme within that, like "Summon Delicious Things," or "Summon Shambling Roadkill?"

Edit - Let me add a question since I'm asking.

Would "magitech" be an acceptable theme? The idea being that the character's 'spells' are actually steampunky magical items and are represented by devices?

Yes, magitech is permitted but each item the character created would be it's own spell. Power Fluxing to create any assortment of items is not 'a single spell' nor is limiting it to a particular kind of item.

Summoning is it's own brand magic. You can theme it around something if you like. Perhaps the PC summons the twelve Titans from mythology (Oceanus, Tethys, Hyperion, Theia, Coeus, Phoebe, Cronus, Rhea, Mnemosyne, Themis, Crius, Iapetus) or just one or two and is searching for the soul stones (a shimmering gem with the glyph of the titan marked upon it) that'll allow him/her to summon the others. Without each Titan's corresponding soul stone he/she could not perform a summons.

Maybe it's not stones... maybe it's charms on a charm bracelet, keys for a key ring, marbles kept in a pouch (throw it upon the ground and up comes the summons).

Each Summons would be a 'companion' and statted differently based on their theme (which does not necessarily have to be accurate from a mythological stand point). Oceanus obviously could be a water summons, Cronus could control lightning or earth and each would have their own personality.

Maybe the FF summons like Ifrit, Shiva, Ramuh, Titan, etc...

It'll cost EP to summon them and they couldn't stay indefinitely... but all in all it'd be a fun theme.

Ok, this sounds like it will be a lot of fun, you've got my full attention.

About Dynamic Powers, Metamorphosis, Power Flux, Power Variation and Transmutation, you'd like us to move away from those, or are they ok?

Originally Posted By: Krul
About Dynamic Powers, Power Flux, Power Variation and Transformation, you'd like us to move away from those, or are they ok?

This depends on how the PC intends to use the power. While Shapechanging would certainly be allowed, each form would it's own spell.

Basically you'll notice that I'm not permitting any one attribute to become a catch-all. Having one power that is capable of thirty different things isn't possible, since each effect you desire to create is it's own unique spell that the character has to learn.

Spells have no casting times, the character simple does the infamous 'anime shout'... "Bolt of Rage!" and the effect happens as part of the PCs action. Some techniques may require a 'charge up' time, but that falls under how the PC and I feel about things as we review the characters' abilities.

Thousands of possibilities exist.

Ah, then power variation isn't a problem at all, but the others might be.

Metamorphosis - Unlimited is out of the works, but the lower versions of Multi-Form could work within certain guidelines, and Single Form isn't an issue.

Dynamic Power/Power Flux is more problematic, but I could see a few ways the weakest form, like say, Dynamic Power - illusions could work.

The weaker versions of Transmutation also looks alright, within certain limits.

Right now, I'm thinking of a Energy or Elemental based mage, or perhaps more interesting, a Dance or Song mage.

Edited In: Actually, now I've more or less settled, a Mage of Music sounds interesting and different from the norm, assuming of course, that's an acceptable concept

Sorry, been having serious internet issues.

So far 'Song Mage' has been taken... we'll call him/her 'Bard Guy' for now...

I'm thinking maybe 350 points is where we'll start at and keep in mind guys that is meant to 90% fun and 10% serious. I want thing's to be fun and interesting more than: 'RAOWR! I AM GOKU REBORN!' *PC Blows up a planet*

Don't make a PC to win, make a PC to have fun with, we'll worry about the winning and loosing later... PS getting defeated will happen in this game, PCs getting killed is not very likely.

Summ ary of Character Creation

Step 1: GM Discussion

Talk to me about the nature of the game. If you are not sure on what constitutes magic or what series of powers are acceptable, talk to me.

Step 2: Character Outline

Each PC receives 350 points to spent on character creation. At this time, you can earn an extra 1 to 5 Character Points by giving me a background history of your character, an important character story, a character drawing, and other valuable character contributions.

All PCs should have some history to them because it will be touched upon during the game.

Step 3: Assign Stats

All characters will have their stats set at 5, 6, and 7 in any order they choose. You may lower a stat to give yourself +10 Points but you may not raise any stat higher than 5, 6, or 7.

This means that 180 of your points are already spent.

Step 4: Consider Templates

You may optionally use Character Points to assign one or more templates to your character. Templates are classified as Size (for other than human-sized), Racial (such as a nekojin or half-dragon), Occupational (such as samurai or master thief).

It should be noted that Dragons are nothing but myth, at one time they flourished and taught the people how first harness the power of magic... but now, are gone.

Demons, Devils, and dark things are frowned upon, your PC should not dabble in the dark arts.

'Souls' is a common term for mages who manipulate spirits. Just because a mage manipulates a 'soul' doesn't always mean the human soul (hence necromancy) it usually means a spiritual being, like controlling the spirits that dwell in inanimate objects and making them dance about. If you're not sure, ask.

All PCs have ‘Deplete’ much like the ‘Wizardry’ template but the characters do not require components or suffer backlash. This only applies to attributes that have a magical effect.

Step 5: Select Attributes

Any remaining Character Points may be used to acquire Attributes — powers and talents possessed by your character. Each Attribute has a maximum starting level of 6.

Items are an exception; some characters may possess pieces of equipment whose ranks exceed six, like a suit of armor or a weapon. These will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

Step 6: Customize Attributes (Optional)

Add Variables and Restrictions to certain Attributes if you like. This will increase or decrease the Attributes’ final Point costs. If you min/max I’ll kick you in the nuts.

Step 7: Consider Skills

Buy skills, you either know it or you don’t.

Step 8: Select Defects

You must take Defects appropriate to your character outline. These Defects will provide you with more role-playing opportunities. This is going to be a cliché anime game so characters with insatiable appetites, complete idiots, nose bleeders, anthropomorphic people and all other variety of anime silliness is expected. The more you put into the character the more you’ll get out of it. If you’re not sure or are having a hard time finding something that matches your ideas… make it up or get with me or even with others, we're full of ideas!

Step 9: Calculate Derived Values

After you have modified your character’s Stats through Attributes and Defects, you can calculate his or her Derived Values including Combat Value (both Attack and Defense),

Damage Multiplier, Energy Points, and Health Points.

Shock value will not be used very often, but there will be times when it’s effects are felt. Calculate your PCs shock value, but don’t worry too much about it.

Once we brainstorm some more we'll move forward. Other players should not know everything there is to know about your PC... don't spoil the fun by telling us everything! Well... except me... I kinda need to know.

Here, use this:

Character Name:

Height:

Weight:

Sex:

Descirption:

Point Cost:

Template(s) used:

Size:

Body:

Mind:

Soul:

Stats Point Total:

Attack Combat Value:

Defense Combat Value:

Damage Multiplier:

Health Points:

Energy Points:

Shock Value:

Attributes:

Items:

Skills:

Defects:

I am still torn between my 'gadget mage' idea, and my summoner. I think both have a huge amount of potential for wacky hijinks though.

The summoner would be a fairly serious character who's really trying to do well...but is often impeded by accidental summons, who mean well but don't always understand the ramifications of their actions. The summoned creatures often embody forces of nature or states of being and are as such kind of one-sided...obsessive by human standards. They do their best to do what is asked of them. The problem is what happens when they're summoned due to some unconscious wish, and try to fulfill it without actual orders for what to do.

The gadget mage is a human being who was raised by gnomes and has that wild sense of reckless experimentation combined with impenetrable optimism. I'd definitely take a Companion or two with this one too, for golemlike clockwork creations.

I don't even know if this is possible with BESM as I've never played the system but I was thinking about a character that is a cross between Carcaptor Sakura and Yu Gi Oh. Basically the kid has an incomplete deck of cards that allows him to do magical stuff, each card is one effect. Some summon up monsters to fight for him others create magical attacks or effects. While the boy has magical potential (it's how he's able to use the cards) He is totally reliant on the cards for his powers.

Also, he doesn't have all the cards. You see, this doofus was nosing around where he shouldn't have been and accidentally did something that scattered the cards to the four winds and now he has to track them all down again before something really bad happens. In other words, for him to be a ble to get any new powers, he has to find and retrieve new cards (Can't get new powers without a story). Sometimes the cards have a physical manifestation (as in a summoning card's monster rampaging somewhere, or a "weather" card manifesting as unseasonably bad weather somewhere) and some have fallen into someone else's hands (Either some unwitting innocent who is being used by the power of the card or some person of less than noble means using the card for nefarious ends).

Does that sound at all interesting or setting appropriate?

Okay now that I've had a chance to look through the book I'm thinking of an altrenate character concept based on the Magical Boy/Girl template. I think it will be easier to build and handle for a first time character in the system rather than having to build a bunch of companions. Plus, upon rereading the thread it seems someone else was interested in a summon based theme.

Also, about items; do the abilities in an Item have to have the Deplete restriction as well?

Depends on if the item has a magical effect or not. You can have a well balanced sword (accuracy 1) or an incredibly heavy and brutal battle axe (penetrating 2).

But an incredibly accurate, brutal, vampiric, enervating blade of hurling...?

Case by case, if people get too whacky with items (remember we're playing for fun, not to win) then I'll ask em to tone em down.

If the item is part of a magical effect like casting 'BOOM Box' (calls a portable magical music player the kicks out the bass so loud it causes tremors and blows your clothes off) or an 'iPwn' (a small cursed gadget that negates the outside world as the wearer listens to her favorite music, usually causing them to be hit by carriages at intersections.) Then these would have depletion costs...

As a note, if your magic is linked to a particular thing, like a weapon of choice, then giving yourself the ability to make sure you're never without the weapon is prolly not going to fly... where would the fun in that be?

Here's an example I doodled up. This is Kaori from the Shadows game with a bit of an overhaul and slight personality adjustment.

Quote:

Name: Kaori Aoyama

Height: 1.7 meters (about 5’7)

Weight: 53 kilos (117 lb.)

Size: Medium

Measurements: B37D W25 H34

Blood Type: A

Description: Slender and athletic, Kaori is a picture of beauty with long blonde hair and gorgeous eyes. Although physically she seems to be what some would call a 'perfect 12' she rarely wears any facial expression save for a serious scowl and this tends to intimidate those about her. Although she is polite and cares deeply for her fellow guildmates she is a loner of sorts and tends not to involve herself too much in their antics (she finds plenty of trouble on her own). To her, Guild Law is absolute, and those who violate those laws are to be brought before Master Hideki. No exceptions.

She is revered as one of the most competent warriors within the guild and she insists on taking the most difficult missions to 'prove herself'. Although well armed and versatile in combat her lack funds and adventuring has prevented her from obtaining truly incredible and powerful suits of armor and weapons for her magic.

She lacks confidence and some feel she possesses a death wish. She is also fond of using violence to solve most guild issues... punching cleavage peepers through the roof of the guild is a common sport for her and she currently holds the guild's 'Pervert Punching' distance record.

She has never spoken of her past and she was taken by Hideki when she she was only seven years old. Some say Virtus Arach is the only home she's ever known.

Point Cost: 349

Template(s) used: Samurai/Shadow Warrior

Body: 6

Mind: 5

Soul: 6

Stats Point Total: 170

Attack Combat Value: +5 (+9 w/Sword)

Defense Combat Value: +5 (+9 w/ Sword)

Damage Multiplier: x5 (x8 Melee, x10 w/Giganto Armor)

Health Points: 85

Energy Points: 80

Shock Value: 27

Magic: Armory Magic – Nearly all mages can create a small dimensional pocket to store a single weapon or suit of armor. When danger rears it’s ugly head the mage knows there is always a weapon close at hand. Banishing the weapon or armor away however takes concentration and time that one can little afford in the heat of combat.

Kaori is the exception. Her magic allows her to store any number of weapons, armor, or other apparel and even switch between them in the midst of combat with little more than a thought. This makes her a very versatile warrior and always prepared.

Her catalogue seems limitless but calling her armor seems to drain her quickly as she’s still learning the greater techniques of her power. She may summon weapons without cost to her magical energy, but armor seems to drain her swiftly. The exception to this is 'The Earth Shaker', her mighty volcanic warhammer. Only super humanly strong individuals may lift the weapon, thus she needs the power of the Giganto Armor to wield it.

Kaori has hundreds of outfits stored away, not just weapons and armor, which she switches between quite often. Laundry day can be quite hectic for her.

Attributes:

18 Combat Technique 9 (Blind Fighting, Critical Strike, Hardboiled, Judge Opponent, Leap Attack, Lightning Reflexes, Multiple Targets, Precise Aim, Two Weapons)

10 Energy Bonus 5

3 Feature: Appearance 3

1 Feature: Ambidexterity

15 Extra Actions 1

10 Extra Defenses 2

21 Massive Damage (Melee) 3

12 Melee Attack (Sword) 4

12 Melee Defense (Sword) 4

10 Tough 5

Total: 112

Items:

Flame Empress Armor – Armor 6, Emphasized (Fire) 6 (Protection – 18/24 vs. fire) Deplete 6EP/Round (6pts)

Desert Wind, Flaming Scimitar – Weapon 3, Accurate 2, Targeted (Ice/Cold) 3 (8pts)

Cost – 6EP/Round

Queen of Ice Armor – Armor 6, Emphasized (Cold) 6 (Protection – 18/24 vs. cold) Deplete 6EP/Round (6pts)

Icebrand, Freezing Longword – Weapon 3, Accurate 2, Targeted (Fire/Heat) 3 (8pts)

Cost – 6EP/Round

Giganto Armor – Armor 6, Super Strength 2 (Protection 12) (4 points)

The Earth Shaker, Volcanic Warhammer – Weapon 8, Penetrating 3, Piercing 3, Hands, Requires Super Strength 1 or better to wield. (13pts)

Cost – 9EP/Round (4EP/Round for Armor, 5EP/Round for Super Strength)

Total: 45

Skills:

6 Acrobatics (Tumbling) 2

4 Area Knowledge (Starting Kingdom, name not decided yet) 2

3 Cultural Arts (Rare Object Appraisal) 3

2 Etiquette (Middle Class) 2

4 Interrogation (Psychological) 2

4 Intimidation (Street) 2

6 Occult (Magical Techniques) 3

2 Riding (Horse) 2

Total: 31

Defects:

Guy Magnet –2 (No matter where she goes, some guy has to harass her...)

Nemesis –1 (She never speaks of this... none know who it is.)

Marked –2 (She possesses the guild's magical mark, like a tattoo, but she'll never say where, hmmm....)

Skeleton in Closet –4 (Kaori seems to have something she's hiding, what could it be?)

Total: +9

Despite Kaori using an dimensional pocket for store her item, I didn't give her one simply because the items appear upon her already equipped, it seemed to make more sense to just give her the items and assume she has a dimensional pocket.

None of Kaori's weapons are paticularly strong, this gives the PC room to improve and upgrade her assortment of weapons and armor by infusing them with greater magical energy (CPs). However as her armor gets more and more powerful it'll cost her more EP to keep it summoned... so in the end the power should balance out.

I'm going to request from Chosen a gaming forum.

Dave, how did you calculate the reduction in EP for the item Depletes? The book says weapons (or any instant effect with Deplete) cost a flat 10ep per attempted use, per rank in Deplete. Ongoing effects like Armor and so on have an increasing cost per unit time based on the number of Deplete ranks, from 1ep per 10 minutes (1 rank of Deplete) to 50ep per round (at 10 ranks of Deplete). Is there some other formula we should be using in this game?

Originally Posted By: SalmonMax
Dave, how did you calculate the reduction in EP for the item Depletes? The book says weapons (or any instant effect with Deplete) cost a flat 10ep per attempted use, per rank in Deplete. Ongoing effects like Armor and so on have an increasing cost per unit time based on the number of Deplete ranks, from 1ep per 10 minutes (1 rank of Deplete) to 50ep per round (at 10 ranks of Deplete). Is there some other formula we should be using in this game?

I made it up based on the power level of the object summoned. She can keep her armor out for 10 rounds or so... which isn't too bad. After that though all she has is weapons.

Also she doesn't pay to summon weapons, only armor. None of the effects on her weapons require her to expend EP, they are part of the simple enchantments they possess.

As you make your PC assign costs per the book as you see fit, be creative and imaginative and once I see the PCs I'll reassign EP costs (if needed) based on the power of the technique for you (don't worry, if there's an issue with cost I'll let you know way before I start assigning EP costs so you have time to change things).

So far the characters I've seen are pretty well written and the EP cost thing is meshing nicely.

The reason for this is that weapon uses have a base cost of 10EP per use, that includes any and all weapon techniques... well, that'll drain most characters in no time. By going over the powers and assigning costs it'll help give lower techniques more appropriate costs, while more damaging ones wear the PC out faster. This'll hopefully give PCs more staying power if they conserve their energy, and allow them to clean house when it's time to break out the big guns. Since EP will be restored to PCs during play for doing really cool things or good role playing, running out will not be impossible, but it'll certainly be difficult at the later stages. Starting off you might run dry a few times, but you're all learning and that's half the fun.

Think of it like this... asking Rexx N' Efex to mow down the enemies with his "Deezy Mk II Icicle Burst Cannon (patent pending)" is not very powerful but gets the job done... so it costs 7EP lets say.

Now Deezy says "Aw the hell with it... end it!" and Rexx N' Efex takes 35 of Deezy's energy points as he proceeds to call down the "Deezy Inc Original Design: The Palpatine Maser Orbital Array Beam Attack! (patent pending)" which summons down a giant explosion from an orbital satellite that for some strange damn reason... wasn't there a second ago.

Everything in miles is obliterated, except the PCs for some weird reason, and Deezy finds herself taking notes on how to make the next boom bigger... and wear some kinda flare compensating goggles.

I'm less concerned about point costs than I am making sure the PCs are fun, interesting, and fit into their theme well enough to work well together. If you feel the need, just forget the book and write what you feel is appropriate and leave a foot note for you and I to go over. It ain't about the numbers, it's about having fun. PC death is not likely, this is a fun game where PCs can certainly be defeated (and prolly will a few times) but I'm straying away from death if possible.

When working on your PC answer these questions about him/her while writing up their background.

How old is the character?

Where, and from who, did the PC learn magic?

When did the character join Virtus Arach?

Where is the character from?

Who is the characters family?

What are the characters hopes, dream and goals?

What are the characters greatest strengths?

What are the characters greatest weaknesses?

Alright people... so far I have 3 characters submitted, which is enough for the game to begin...

This game will be starting with or without people. Personally, I'd like to get on with the fun.

Friday is the deadline, if you're not ready by then, we start without ya and you get to play catch up.

Couple of things...

1. Do we wanna use his for our OOC stuff or would you guys prefer an OOC thread?

2. Posts! The more posts we get the sooner we get more sub forums and can organize things better.

3. We're (Vivi and I) working on a world map, once we get that done we'll have an 'atlas' thread where all manner of places will be posted so people know a little more about the world of Solteria.

Do keep in mind that Solteria is made up... as are the places, people, and things... so feel free to make things up. If it's too off the wall I'll let ya know, trust me, but have fun creating the world you're a part of! smile

Again... across the room... in a noisy, boisterous bar. To one person. Conversationally. Without super-enhanced-hearing.

Which, I guess, means Rose wouldn't hear Crystal anyway, so it's a moot point, since I can just ignore it. smile Really, I'm not trying to be difficult, but environment is one of those things that has to be taken into consideration. Rose was talking specifically to Claire, in a tavern. I'm not sure if you've ever held a conversation in a noisy bar (or restaurant, or similar location) before, but it's difficult enough for the person you're talking with to hear you, much less someone several feet (or more) away from you. If you want to leave the post as-is, be my guest, but Rose isn't going to respond because I don't think the characters would have heard each other- even if Crystal has some magical ability to hear better than everyone else, Rose doesn't. It's fine if you disagree, because we're all not always going to perceive a situation the same way. To be honest, though, if I'd pictured the scenario in a quiet, easily-overheard environment, I probably would not have had Rose say it out loud in the first place. It's meant to be generally humorous griping and commiseration with an NPC, not slander.

Except, that if she didn't hear her, Crystal wouldn't have responded at all. With everyone entering and talking to one another, I'd assumed until you said something about it, that she'd spoken loud enough to be heard. Even after you mentioned that she was muttering, which I thought was a valid point, I figured the rest was audible.

To me, I wasn't thinking of the room as being that loud, more or the level of some laughter and perhaps some conversation in the background, low enough that if one was playing a instrument it could be heard.

However, I'm flexible, if you didn't intend any of it to be heard, I'll change it completely, but, I'd like a clearer indication of such in the future.

For example: Speaking quietly enough that only Claire could hear her Rose continued conversationally.

Okay. The first post describes the bar as boisterous, loud, etc.- lots of laughing, yelling, clattering in the back, and so forth. That's where I drew my perception. I try not to infer too much beyond what the ST gives me to work with, so that's why I wrote what I did. In my mind, there shouldn't have been any reason for me to indicate that she was trying to speak quietly, because I'd already gotten a mental image of the setting based on the ST's description. I can't write for every contingency. I understand why you'd want clarity, really, but I can't (and really don't want to) go over everything I write with a fine-toothed comb. I'm writing for my own character, not to try to anticipate everyone else's thought process. You shouldn't have to, either. We should all be reading the info we're given and going from there, and sorting out the bumps in the road as we hit them.

I really didn't intend for this to be a big deal. It's just a miscommunication, and a bit of a misunderstanding. Frankly, I think we should all yell at Dave for not being more specific! whistle

Actually I assumed 'laughing, drinking and carrying on.' Was a good enough interpenetration of the tap room to cover a 'typical' tavern environment. I didn't take into consideration that in PBP games PCs assume they hear everything that's going on.

For now, let's quit splitting hairs over something so minor. You two had a communication error and that's okay. Kiss, make-up, and get back into the swing of things. In future posts I'll be quite clear about sensory ranges.

I understand your point actually, and I didn't mean to make a big deal about it. My response was simply what I believed Crystal would make if she had heard what you said. I didn't really think about if the noise in the room would be to loud to hear it or not, until you brought it up.

Also, I don't think it was unfair of me to think she said it loud enough for Crystal to hear, based on where I was coming from. And I don't necessarily think you should have to be too specific, but that was sort of what you were asking of me.

Your right about misconceptions, we sort of missed one another wink I'm not really upset about it, I simply couldn't see Crystal letting that pass without comment if she could hear it.

It's no big deal, I'd just like to avoid such misunderstandings in the future.

The Atlas should be up soon, until then I'll hit you with a few Highlights...

The Virtus Arach Guildhall is located in the city of Four Winds. Four Winds is the Capitol of the Kingdom of Elentia. It dawned on me I forgot to post that prior to doing the Job Board yesterday, my bad.

All the current jobs are based out of the PCs home town, in case it needs to be said. smile

The world map is giving some difficulties with formatting but as soon as it's complete there will be plenty of info in it for ya.

Quote:
The view opened back up as the two were pulled apart, one of the men having inexplicably stripped down to his boxers in the short amount of time that had passed, earning several strange but unsurprised looks.

Ambrose isn't naked. He's in his boxers. Being stripped down to one's undies can still be considered 'naked', but he's hardly 'bare assed'.

Archived