Aberrant: The Middle Children of History - The Wake [Open]

Connor lead her away to one of the windows overlooking the city. "I was thinking of setting up a shcolarship endowment for Washington State University in memory of Eagle Thunder. I was also looking at making some sort of anual donation to a foundation in the city that would lead to positive improvement in the city in an area that He'd have been proud to be a part of. Considering you are the closest member of his family I know, I wanted to ask you first. I won't do anything without your approval. I know it is just money, something I have no shortage of, but I like to think it says something of his character that a stranger would be willing to give freely in his memory. To me that shows how positive an influence he truly was."

She smiled slightly, and shook her head. "I have no objections at all to such a project, Uncle John did leave those sorts of decisions up to the next Defender of Seattle, which is me now, so if your looking for my approval, it's granted." At the same time, with enhanced perception and awareness, she was listening to the speaker as she spoke of the inspiration that Eagle had been.

"Very well. A million dollars should start the ball rolling then. The other thing is that I have some leeway with my movie. I don't know how Seattle is situated for money and such, but I know Zack wants to premier the movie across the nation, with some of the cast in attendance. I can speak with him and we can do a special event here in Seattle, either to raise money for the Police, or Firefighters, or Teachers."

"I can guarantee you a part in the next movie. Zack's something of a novaphile, and he loves working with novas. I know he'll be willing to work with your schedule here, and of course I know if we do some shooting here that will help too, both economically and with easing the council's worries about you being gone."

"If you're interested that is."

"I'd like to know what kind of movie they had in mind? And yes, I'm interested, I'd just need to insure that worked into my schedule, which isn't always set." She responded, as she listened to his offers and suggestions. "I am interested regardless of what sort of movie it is, I'm simply better suited to some sorts of movies then others." Actually, when she considered it, likely she could play just about any part, and probably do it well also. She thought it would be interesting to try at least, and perhaps fun as well.

Connor smiled. "I think it's going to be something somewhat High tech and futuristic, but I'm not sure. Zack's looking at several scripts and barring a comedy, I've tentatively told him I'll sign on for whatever he chooses. We did a period peice last time so I imagine he'll want to go with something either modern or future. " I know he wanted to do a space movie, but the price tag for such is difficult, let alone the problems of actually shooting it how he'd want it done, in actual space."

"High tech and futuristic, that could be interesting, consider me available." Aurora paused a moment, to consider what she said, and managed to keep from blushing, at least, visibly. To human eyes it wouldn't have been noticeable at all, but someone in close proximity with mega-perception likely would be able to pick it up.

For a moment, she considered changing her words, then she decided not to, after all, even if he took them differently, she wouldn't mind. Though this was hardly the place to pursue that sort of interest, she couldn’t help but wonder if he was interested in her. She thought maybe he was, but she wasn’t sure. Considering that, she decided to simply allow her words to stand as they were, he could take it as he liked.

“In any case, it looks like the speeches should be drawing to a close in a few more minutes, Eagle didn’t want this part to last too long.”

Connor nods his smile widening imperceptibly. "Alright then. I'll get back with you in a few days once I have some more information. We could meet and discuss it over dinner perhaps." It was as close to asking her out as he would come, given the setting.

He nods. "So what did you have in mind after the wake?"

"Dinner it is then." She replied, she wasn't completely certain it was a date, but it sounded like a round about way of asking her on a date, without actually doing so. If so, she was both pleased and slightly amused, which wasn't a mood she was expecting to be in at Eagle's Wake. Fortunately, this was just about the end, so she should go forward and give the closing speech.

"Afterward, well, I thought I'd check in with city events, see if they need me anywhere, and then I'm not sure.. whatever comes to me, I suspect."

"Thank you for speaking, I'll be right back." She gave him a soft kiss on the cheek, and went back to the stage, on which a number of speakers had come and gone.

"Thank you, everyone who spoke, I am sure that Eagle would have given you his personal thanks.. and actually, I don't have to wonder about it."

She reached down and pressed a button on the stage, and a view screen descended down behind her. Then a picture flashed and it was Eagle Thunder, her Uncle John himself.

"Greetings, Ladies and Gentlemen, my fellow Novas, thank you for coming. If you are watching this, I am dead, and this is my farewell to you all. I had a long speech, but then I changed my mind about it, deciding to be short and to the point. It is my pleasure to have been one of your company, and I hope for the best for every one of you, may you never give up hope."

Connor smiled after the kiss. He'd read her interest correctly and that made him happy. She was a nice young woman. He watched her take the stage and watched the final presentation in reverence, knowing things were drawing to a close.

The picture then faded out, showing some clips of Eagle Thunder protecting Seattle, fishing, and even controling the weather, before closing completely.

Aurora remained silent with her head bowed for several seconds, before she looked up, and spoke. "Now, the formal presentation is over, those of you who wish to may visit the louge where there are a number of pictures, and there is also food for those of you who wish a snack or even to sit down and discuss things around a formal meal. There is nothing else organized, or that Eagle wanted done, mostly his last wish was for our best, and I think that's what we should strive to be." With that, she stepped down from the stage and walked back over to Conner.

Connor smiles as Aurora came back towards him. "I think you just said the magic word you know. Most novas always jump at the chance for free food." He smiles and notes the others around the room.

"Want to go see if the chefs did their job well, or perhaps you'd like to go out and get a little fresh air for awhile?"

Darren made his way back over to Aurora and Connor, "Sorry to disturb you, but it's time I made a move."

He turns to Aurora, "Thank you for inviting me, and I wish I had had the oppurtunity to have met your Uncle. Hopefully I'll see you at the next movie."

He pauses for her reply before turning to Connor, "Nice to see you again Connor. Let me know what comes up next, but I think you can probably count me in regardless of what it is. Get them to contact me directly, as the guy I was using as an agent was an idiot last time. Right, I've got to dash. I'm visiting Ptesan Wi tomorrow and I need to go grab some things and get changed."

Truth be told, it was Netherworld's first wake and he found himself thinking about his father's death. Emotions he had not known before, rose to the surface like cats climbing out from behind a sofa. His cheeks shone like wet marble. For Netherworld, his father was a mythic figure spoken of rarely by his mom. She let him see pictures of his father once, but would never part with one herself. The small statuette in his pocket was his only reminder. This wake was in many ways, his opportunity to mourn his own father's passing. His mother would never have approved. She was as protective of his emotions as she was of his physical well being.

Netherworld stepped up to Aurora after the presentation, his snake-like irises still swollen with tears. "Your uncle was a proud and brave man. His passage to the spaces that lie beyond, while sad, have given me the opportunity to mourn my own father's death. I suspect the two of them were very similar in nature." Alabaster paused and reached out, grasping her hand gently. He spoke in French, as he felt it conveyed the emotions running through him.

"Je tiens à vous l'honneur avec un cadeau."

Aurora listened to Darren, as he spoke to her, and reached out to shake his hand. "It was a pleasure meeting you, I hope your meeting with Ptesan Wi goes well. It sounds like we'll get a few chances to get to know one another in the future." She then turned to Netherworld when he approached her.

His tears brought out a bit of her own sorrow, and she reached out to take his hand in both of hers. "Thank you for your deep and kind words, I am filled with sorrow for his passing, and yet am proud of what he acomplished in life. I am sure Uncle John would have been pleased to have known you, and would be honored by your words, wherever he may be."

"No. Thank you. Thank you for helping me learn to grieve. If it hadn't been for your uncle and you, I would have never experienced such an emotion. It was cathartic."

Netherworld waved back at Darren before the man's departure.

He turned back to Aurora. "I would like to honor your uncle as well, but I feel it apropriate to ask your permission. Might I remember him with a statue or something? It doesn't have to be big, or flashy. It would please me to immortalize him in my own way." He pulled from his pocket the small figurine of his father, that he created years ago, after seeing a photo of him. The detail on the one inch piece was of an unearthly quality and it looked to be alive. Looking at it gave a person a feeling of desperation and loss: The loss that a son feel towards for a father he desperatly wished to know but will never meet. It was heartbreakingly sad in its longing.

"This is all I have to remember my father." Tears began to well up in his eyes again.

"Seyya around Darren. I'll let you know when Zack's ready to do the next one." He watched his friend leave and smiled. It had been good to see him again.

He looked to Netherworld and nodded. "Take care my friend. I'll contact you later about what we spoke of."

He shook hands with the [ale young nova and smiled. "It was good seeing you again Netherworld."

She reached up and brushed a tear from her own eye that had begun to trail down her cheek in response to his grieving, and she reached out and hugged Netherworld, before responding to his question.

"I would be honored with regards to anything you might create, and I am sure Uncle John would agree." She looked at the figurine that he had created, and then she smiled slightly. "Remind me again someday, to introduce you to my brother, he would love to see your work, and perhaps to colaborate with you on some work of his own."

Netherworld released their grip after shaking Connor's hand. "Please, call be Alabaster. It is my first name. netherworld is a... how do you call it..a nickname."

After hugging Aurora, he pulled away. "I will try and honor him then." Netherworld said. "It will take me a few days, but I can meet up with you once I am finished."

"Is there a way to contact you?"

Archived