Aberrant: Stargate Universe - The Other Side [Complete]

z028 Riley

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Well.. that's good. About the sarcophagus, I mean. At least we don't gotta worry about that, right?"

She took the book and looked down at the box, and then briefly up at Kyria as she leaned into Olivia's arm. Her lips twitched a little wryly, and then she laughed, though it was marked with a touch of irony.

"This keeps happening to me, you know. It's like some weird trend in my life or something. Family unexpectedly popping up from the woodwork."

She bit down on her lip, then sat the book down on the table. Finally, she opened the box carefully so that they could see what was inside. It was mostly trinkets of her grandparent's life, jewelry from her grandmother and the like. Nothing else, save the journal, looked all that interesting for anything more than Aradia's own sentimental purposes. She closed the box and sat it down, then picked the book up again and opened it to the page with the key. Carefully, she pulled it out, and gazed at the lock of hair for a long moment.

"You know.. it's kind of weird. Why would he put a strand of hair in here.. if he didn't know we'd use it to find him? You think he saw that too?"

"Maybe? He didn't put it in his journal, but maybe he figured he wouldn't need to." A thought occurred to her, "Aradia, you were taken by the NID because you had the right Ancient gene sequence, right?"

She stood up and paced as much as she could in the tiny area. "What if this timeline's Mercer had something similar? The right inherited genetic qualities of the Ancients that put him far enough along the human....well, I guess really the Ancient evolutionary path, that he manifest powers similar in nature to what he gained in other timelines through the Hammersmith incident. Is that what you meant by being closer to ascension, Olivia? Could it work that way?"

She glanced outside one of the windows, "We should probably let the rest of them know what's going on. Unless you need a little more time, Ari?"

Kyria would need some time of her own, but later, somewhere not so strange to her and preferably with good friends and large amounts of chocolate covered deserts. For now, being 'on mission' was far safer.

"No, I.. I'll be fine, for now."

She gathered up the things carefully in the box Markie had stored them all in, taking special care with the pictures and wrapping up them up in fliers that were stacked on a nearby shelf. She closed the box and taped it shut for now, then picked it up.

"There's no reason not to tell anyone what we found out, I suppose.. I just.. wanted to keep it private, until I knew exactly what it was, you know?"

She chewed on her lower lip slightly, the nodded a little.

"Okay.. let's see if we can get out of here before I run into my mother. As much as I'd love to see all my friends here.. I'd rather not deal with her right now.. with you guys here. C'mon.. let's go."

Hearing a creaking from the door, Yseult smoothly, and quickly, got to her feet before it could hit her in the back. She brushed off the seat of her pants, and turned to face the three women exiting the small trailer.

She kept her face composed, a faint smile on her lips, her eyes hidden by her shades. However, there was something about her bearing that inquired if they had found out what they were looking for and if they were okay with it.

Kyria nodded to Yse and the others, her return smile wound tight but still a smile. She let Ari mull over her offer for a moment and spoke to the others.

"We found what was left of Max. It's a little complicated, and he's not around anymore, but.....he's been helping us out for a while now, in his own way. Let's head out and we'll go over everything once we're somewhere a little more private." She motioned towards where they'd entered the carnival from. "Shall we?"

"I think it could work that way. The only way we could have known was to test his brain wave functions," Olivia said after a moment of dredging her brain for the information. "I know that those people with the ATA gene have an easier time ascending." She frowned. "The process of ascension still isn't completely understood."

She nodded when the others got up, looping her arm through Aradia's. "If I see your mom, I'll have a few words for her," Olivia said with such sweetness that it took a second to hear the barbs in her voice. "But it would probably be better to just get away from her, in all honesty."

The group managed to make it out of the carnival without encountering Aradia's caustic mother. Markie had kept his promise to divert her attention. Even so it took nearly an hour to make it all the way out the entrance as one person or group of people at a time managed to catch Ari for a quick hug and word of greeting. By the time the group made it's escape Aradia was getting very tired of avoiding all the questions and assuring everyone that all was good with her. She was made to promise over and over that she would return for a visit again when she was able.

Once out of sight of the people Heimdall beamed the group back aboard the Prometheus. Once there Cam commandeered a conference room to discuss what they had found. "So Kyria, and Aradia, what was the result of our search." He put a comforting hand on Kyria's arm, "Is everything O.K.?"

She gave him a startled look at the gesture, coming out of her own reverie, and smiled wanly at him. "It's fine. Just....complicated."

She glanced over at Aradia and asked, "So, do you want to explain, or do you want me to?"

The shape-shifter nodded, pulling a worn leather journal out so that people could see it as Kyria explained what had been learned of the life of Maxwell Mercer; how he'd been a part of the Stargate project since well before the SGC had come into being and how he had saved the world from a Goa'uld decades before the mission to Abydos. She left none of the important details out, but didn't mention the pictures or jewelry that had also been bequeathed to Aradia; those were personal gifts.

After she'd finished she asked Heimdall, "It's not a critical thing to know, but can your technology detect if a human is more advanced or more akin to an Ancient genetically? We've no explanation so far for Mercer's visions, but the prospect of him being a person close to Ascension or of having gotten a high concentration of Alteran genes were brought up as possibilities."

Over the comm Heimdall answered, "Yes, I can do that. You would need to bring the genetic sample to my console to be scanned."

A quick trip back to the hyperdrive room and a scan of the lock of hair and Heimdall looked to Kyria, "It will take some time for a detailed analysis and I may have to consult with homeworld to do a comparison with the Alteran genes. At least one of your Earth days."

Kyria returned to the conference room for the discussions.

Yseult listened in rapt attention to what Kyria had to say concerning the life and times of Maxwell Mercer. Her lips tightened slightly as she considered his 'visions'. She did not like it - it seemed too much like predestination. Propabilities she could understand, but certainties were something else. The connection between Mercer, Kyria, and Aradia also seemed far too convenient.

"Kyria, there is one more thing that must also be considered. All of us who have been exposed to the Ascension Device have the ATA gene, but revealed no unique capabilities before hand. Did Mr. Mercer also have some sort of triggering event - and if so, what was it - or did he come by it naturally?"

She shrugged and shook her head, "He had his first vision at eighteen, but there's nothing in the entry that suggests he was exposed to anything or had an eruption-like event. That's why I'm asking Heimdall to compare his DNA to Alteran DNA. He said it'll take at least a day before he has any answers."

"Y'know, I'm a bit curious. I don't know that the SGC ever ran the tests to see if Omar or I have what would be the equivalent of an ATA gene. Perhaps that gene in this timeline is the equivalent of the gene sequence that allows a person to become a nova or psiad in our timelines." She put her chin in her hand, leaning forward on the table as she thought. "That would make a sort of parallel sense, but I'm probably just reaching."

"I think, since we'll be waiting for a bit on Heimdall, perhaps we should look into that key and box number?" That was directed to Aradia. "Unless you'd prefer to check it out alone? It might just be personal items that were left for you."

"I would be willing to conduct such a test, Kyria, if you and Omar would be willing to accede to it. I am curious now, to see the results. We can test for the ATA already, so it should not be too difficult." Yseult's eyes were unfocused as she began pondering the ramifications and possiblities.

"You said that 'novas' and 'psiads' evolved naturally in your dimension, yes? If the ATA gene and the gene sequence in either of you are analogous, it may mean the same can or will happen here as well."

Cam was interested in the genetic discussion but more interested in the key and safety deposit box. "Given the contents of that journal and that the key was with it, I'd guess they are related. Maybe we should all go. Aradia and Kyria can be the ones to open it and if it's personal that's fine, but I'd feel more comfortable if we were all at least with you guys. Some of those visions he described were about the safety of Earth."

Looking over to Yseult, "I'd like to be kept in the loop on those tests. The artifact downloaded quite a bit of medical knowledge into me specifically about what was happening to my body during the process so maybe I can help."

Gwyn looks up from a nearby workstation, "Yeah, I'd be interested in those as well. If they don't have the ATA gene it would be good to know what 'power' gene sequence they do have in common. Then we could run a trawl through the SGC DNA file to see if there is any evidence of it occuring here at all."

She sighed and quietly laughed at herself; it was her own fault for putting herself back in the 'guinea pig' category. She nodded to Yse, though, and murmured, "I'll do it. You might want several needles on hand, though. It's usually pretty tough to get a blood sample before I heal over it."

She looked around at the people in the room, ending on Aradia, "Alright, then. Are we going to go see what's in the deposit box while we wait on the results of the DNA scan?"

Aradia nodded, happy that the other woman had been willing to explain the situation. She was a bit overwhelmed with it all herself, and had been more than relieved that she hadn't had to be the one to explain it.

"Yeah, that sounds like a plan. So.. do we just get zapped back down to the bank, like before? Or do we do that on our own time, or what?"

She held onto the key herself. It had been entrusted to her, and she intended to be the one to open, no matter what they chose to do with it afterward. She had also brought back the box of her own stuff, save the clothes, that she had managed to salvage. She had instructed Markie to give her clothes to one of the younger acrobats - that if she was able to come back, she'd get new stuff. She was pretty sure Markie had detected the note of unlikeliness in her voice, but she'd held off any questions with a promise to call. But at least now she had some stuff to decorate her room with.. including something she'd never dreamed of - pictures of family.

Cam nodded decisively. "Let's go."

He headed back to the Hyperdrive room where Heimdall was and asked to be transported back to the base. Looking to the others, "It's in Colorado Springs... anyone want to place a bet against the fact that Max did that on purpose?" Seeing that no one was willing to take the bet he chuckled and the group found themselves back in the Gate room.

Saluting the General who was standing in the control room looking down at their arrival he led the party to the elevators. On the way out everyone took a moment to freshen up and let Aradia put away her box, before heading to the surface and the now familiar van.

The bank was downtown but was easy to find and only took half an hour to get to once they had set out. It was mid-afternoon by this time and the group was getting pretty hungry, but the decision was made to press on to the bank. This crowd could easily take too long eating and miss the opportunity to hit the bank in time.

Inside Aradia presented her key and asked to be shown to the box. The manager looked the key over and frowned. "I'm afraid that key is no longer in use. We updated our facilities a few years ago and replaced all of the older keys with more modern and secure ones. Give me just a moment to look up the account associated with that box and I will get the current key if the account is still in good standing. A moment please."

Mr. Brown, the manager, was clearly unsure how to react to this strange and large group who had just walked in. On the one hand they were all highly good looking and apparently successful, on the other hand it contained some very diverse individuals, a Blazian woman, a partial asian woman, an extremely large intimidating middle-eastern man, a mid-west all American man, a Brit and others and every one could be a super model.

When he returned however, there was no question in his mind, he was clearly ready to fawn over the key holder. "I apologize for the formality, but may I see your identification please?" When Aradia presented her license he quickly photo copied it and returned it and presented her with a form to sign which merely stated that she had received a new key in replacement of her old one. The new key was stylish and could even be worn as a pendant it was so fancy, but one end opened much the way a usb flash drive might to reveal a high tech key.

"Miss McConnell, I apologize for how long that took, most of those keys have long since been replace and it took a moment to find and print a copy of that form. Please, right this way."

He led the group toward the back of the marble lined hall and into a room clearly designed for comfortably going through the contents of safety deposit boxes. "I am afraid all but Miss McConnell must remain here while she retrieves the box."

He then led Aradia into the room with the boxes. There were hundreds lining the walls, but unerringly moved swift and sure directly to number 328. She turned the key and the box clicked mechanically and pushed out about two inches. The entire box slid out of the wall and it was two feet long by twelve inches wide and six inches deep. It was a little heavy, perhaps thirty pounds but Aradia easily handled it and carried it back into the viewing room. Mr. Brown took his leave locking the safety deposit box room behind him.

All this talk of genes and assention didn't strike Steve as being especially... 'important' wasn't the right word, maybe 'connected to reality'? Could something be both important and totally disconnected to reality? Had he really changed that much in the last few months?

Aradia glanced at the others a bit apologetically as she was led into the vault. Policies were policies however, and a small part of her didn't mind that she would get to see whatever inheritance her grandfather had deemed important enough to lock away on her own before showing it to the others.

She smiled politely at the bank manager, and thanked him for his kindness. Finally, she was alone with the box in the viewing room. She sat down at the table, and slowly opened the metal container. The first thing she saw was a very elegantly carved wooden box. Her stomach turned flip-flops when she saw it, for instinct told her that whatever was in the heavily-engraved container was probably what she was truly here for. After a moment's hesitation, she pulled it out and set it on the table to the side. She figured she should deal with the rest before she got around to the important stuff.

Underneath the box was a stack of several manila envelopes, and on top of those was a plain piece of stationary. On it was written a simple message in elegant handwriting - "Hope this helps". A survey of the envelope's contents, however, was enough to cause her head to spin. She wasn't exactly sure how to interpret all the paperwork, and was pretty sure she was going to have to get Livy to help her with the details. Some of the companies she had never heard of before, and some were regular household names. Either way, it didn't take long for Aradia to come to the dawning realization that very well may, for the first time in her life, be worth a lot of money. Fortunately, there was a photocopy machine in the viewing room that she decided to take advantage of, and after a few minutes of work, she had a large stack of copies, and had sorted all the papers back into their respective envelopes and placed them back into the safety deposit box. It seemed like the safest idea, until she had a chance to figure out what she needed to do with them.

Finally, she sat down at the table and opened the box. Inside was an elegant looking pendant, carved in an Egyptian manner. She studied it for a long moment, knowing that it had to be important for him to have gone to the trouble of hiding it like this. Underneath the pendant was another small, folded up piece of the same stationary the other note had been written on. She unfolded it, and read the message he had scrawled across the paper in his elegant handwriting.

"Don't lose this, it will help you save the world."

She folded the note back up, and placed it back in the box. She held onto the pendant for a few moments, rubbing her thumb carefully across it. Then, she placed it gently back into the wooden box, and closed the lid. She stood up, and slipped the safety-deposit box back into the slot it had come from, still containing the original folders full of stocks and bonds and other financial documents. She picked up the wooden box carefully, and slipped the papers she had copied into a folder from the stack available next to the photocopier. She closed the envelope, went into the room with the boxes, and slipped the box back into it's appropriate slot, relocking it. After careful consideration, she tucked the key into her purse, hefting it onto her shoulder. She walked out of the viewing room, arms wrapped around the folder and the box, clutching them both tightly to her chest in a way that no one could possibly try to take her purse from her. She smiled politely at the bank manager, and then made her way over to her fellow friends and employees. It had been, to their count, about a half hour since the young acrobat had disappeared into the private room, and by the time she came out she looked a bit dazed.

"We should go. I have something for us to look at, once we get back to base. We.. might want to contact Daniel, if it's possible. He'll probably have a heart attack or something when he sees this.. it looks ancient. C'mon.. let's get out of here."

Yseult didn't want to pry, and waiting until they got back to base certainly made sense, but she couldn't pass on a chance to see the item that had been left to Aradia by her grandfather. The circumstances were too bizarre - though admittedly, bizzare did take on a new meaning since she started working for the SGC and the events that had changed her life.

Hidden behind her shades, her eyes were locked on the intricate box in Aradia's hands, noting it's precise measurements.

The news of Max's 'abilites' in this universe were a little surpristing and the letter Aradia read confirmed what Omar knew of the man. He was still out trying to save the world. Unlike the other timelines, Max seemed to have a fraction of the power he had there, but he still had it. It was the power of premonition.

Omar followed in silence, as they spoke of the ATA gene, and wondered if he and Kyria had it as well. Omar doubed it. Nova genetic sequences from his realities were different. He was a product of the introduction of Watcher DNA into the human genome. It is that sequence that created Nova and Psions. Since ther were no 'Watchers', that DNA sequence could not exist. He and Kyria were unique.

"I don't think you will find any correlation between our DNA and the ATA gene." Omar seemed to look into the distance, lost in thought. "The watchers don't exist here. Kyria and my DNA are tied in with the existence of the Watchers'.

"But if you wish to test me anyways, feel free."

Omar watched in silence as Aradia went about her business at the bank. When they arrived at base, Omar stayed silent. His thoughts were of Max and how much the man knew of he and Kyria's arrival. Were they an anomaly that Max could not see? What sort of effect were they going to have in this universe as beings that couldn't exist here?

"Thank-you for agreeing to the testing, Omar." Yseult said. "Are you not curious? You said you have been to many timelines and realities, where there was a Maxwell Mercer and Micheal Donnighal, and they were fundamentally the same from place to place, or at least very similar. Do you not think that the genetic expression that lets you utilize your amazing capabilities would be similar to the ATA gene that lets us use our own? How many different genes can there be that would let humanity tap into the underpinings of the universe?"

"There is one thing that separates this reality from all the others- The Watchers." Omar hoped that he didn't spook Yseult with talk of such unfamiliar things. "They have never existed in this universe. They are the basis for the Psion and Nova genes in humanity's. If they don't exist here, then neither should the gene's which triggered my eruption."

Omar gave Yseult a hopeful smile. "I would be curious as to what the results yield."

If the genes are different, will a cure derived from my genetic structure work, or will they be forced to use it as a template to create their own?

"These 'Watchers", they do not sound terribly different from the Ascended - though without the strictures about interfering with the development of other species." Yseult frowned slightly at that.

She returned Omar's smile, warming to the subject. "As well, the Ascended - for the most part - were once the Ancients, from which some of us have inherited the ATA gene, which, when activated properly, has granted us abilities analogous to your own, Omar. These similarities are most fascinating, and not a little troubling. I greatly wish to pursue this line of inquiry."

Aradia nodded at Olivia and Yseult's inquiries about the artifact, but still looked anxious to leave the bank.

"Yeah, you guys can totally look at it - just maybe, not here? Let's get back to the base, or at least back in a car. I'm not exactly comfortable flashing it around here, you know?"

Once they had all gathered back into the van they had traveled in and locked the doors, Aradia opened up the box, and pulled out the necklace. She held it up for everyone to see, and then gingerly passed it to Livy. Not only was she the one she trusted more than anyone else, but she figured if anyone could make anything of it right away, it would probably be Livy or Yseult.

Gwyn was distracted buckling in and the item was already in Livy's hands when he looked up. "Oh shit. Ahh, Livy would you mind putting that back in the box until we get back to base. It's just that the last time you started examining something I ended up in space exposed to a nuke going off from only a few klicks away. So if it's not too much trouble I'd rather we checked it out, before anyone handles it too much."

He shrugs as some people turn to look at him, "Ok, call me paranoid, but it's not my recommended way of getting a tan."

Omar waited until they were somewhere safe to continue the discussion.

"The Watchers are descended from one being. A singular Nova who had an 'unusual' eruption. He...It was able to create clones who were complete individuals and permanent. They are able to change sex and even genetic structure to become as different from the original as any individual is from another. In some cases, they even chose to not retain their memories, so they could experince life without millions of years of history to draw upon." Omar let that sink in before continuing.

"They also had a policy of non-intereference. But it was to keep their existence a secret. They are able to create alternate universes to experience things both fantastic, mythical and mundane. Genesis, the Watcher I spoke with told us they have created places where magic is commonplace, with dragons, and unicorns and those sort of beings. The watchers have no need for Stargates, as they can go anywhere or create any existence they choose...instantly. In many universes, they Watchers bred with local human and alien stock to create Nova and psions."

"It took a while for that to gear up," Olivia said, trying not to sound put out or pouty. She wasn't quite able to get either quite right, but she didn't pass back the necklace as she examined it. "You all should get a chance to stop anything I might start, if I start something."

As she spoke, she turned it over and over, careful not to do anything that might be remotely like triggering something. When it was committed to memory, she passed it back to Aradia and started to access her memory to see what she knew that might help them identify it.

Gwyn shrugs at Livy, "Only trying to help, and keep my skin intact." he finishes with a grin.

He does however try to see if there is any writing in Goa'uld that he could translate as Livy turns it around and hands it back.

Turning to Omar he chips in, "The Ancients built and used the Stargate system, but I don't believe the Ascended necessarily have to. Although Livy's memory for all those reports is better than mine."

Yseult had to grip her hands together to keep from snatching the pendant out of Olivia's hands when Gwyn mentioned the Artifact Nuke - she hadn't even been thinking about that. There will be no problem. That was a sheer fluke, yes?

As Olivia handled the pendant, Yseult's own gaze was locked on it, noting it's every precise dimension and the markings on it's surface, locking it away in the hard drive of her mind.

While she began trying to correlate the markings on the pendant to anything else she had seen before, she listened to what Omar was saying. "These Watchers, they sound like men playing at gods, how ever much they have experienced. The stories of dragons and magic, did they make worlds that had these things because they remembered the myths? Or did the myths evolve because they created these things? Hmm, a paradox."

"Omar, we have no true understanding of what the Ascended are capable of. They exist on a separate plane of reality, and they let us live by our own triumphs and mistakes, without interfering. Well... mostly."

Aradia took the necklace back from Olivia, and after a moment's consideration and an apologetic glance at Yseult, she placed it back in the box and closed it. Then she settled into her seat and looked thoughtfully out the window during the drive, allowing everyone else to fall into discussion in regards to the Watchers, and the Ascended, and all the other things Aradia wasn't much interested in. Eventually though, she did lean over and murmur in Livy's ear quietly.

"Hey.. I need you to look at something else when all this is over, to help me figure out what to do about it, okay? It's from the box too, but.. personal."

Click to reveal..

Gwyn INT roll = 6dice, Mega first
(03:42:52) ChatBot: (Gwyn) rolls 6d10 and gets 1,2,7,10,2,1.
2 sux

Gwyn does NOT have an Eidetic memory - just plain M-INT 1 and INT 5.
He does have Linguistics - Goa'uld if it is relevant wink

Steve looked at the mysterious box and tried a cyber-k 'ping' to see what was in it.

Click to reveal..
First die is mega as normal.

7d10.hits(7) [7,8,9,10,8,1,9] = 7 sux.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2194547/

Quote:
"The Watchers are descended from one being. A singular Nova... In some cases, they even chose to not retain their memories, so they could experience life without millions of years of history to draw upon."

"...They are able to create alternate universes to experience things both fantastic, mythical and mundane... In many universes, they Watchers bred with local human and alien stock to create Nova and psions."

:blink: Steve had thought he was getting more jaded, but this was still a shock. *So that's the upper limits of our power.*

Steve asked carefully, "How long would it take to gain that level of power?"

Kyria glanced at Steve and shrugged, "It depends on how much you push yourself. Some novas stay at a relatively stable power level for decades, exploring the nuances of a particular ability or quantum expression before pushing themselves further along their evolution. Others become powerful very quickly, though those kind usually also acquire debilitating taint by doing so and become.....unviable members of society. Usually the steady pace is the best for those seeking to acquire greater mastery over their quantum signature. It takes time, but as you begin to master your body and your abilities you generally cause changes in yourself that expand your lifespan into centuries. The lifespan of most novas that don;t focus on extending it is generally well into 120 or 130 years, anyways."

Her tone was slightly distracted, her mind still turning everything over, searching for patterns that would give her some sense of closure about this entire discovery. Perhaps speaking with Heimdall later would help. He seemed - detached - but intelligent. Her eyes eventually wandered back over to Aradia; she contemplated the other woman and wondered if perhaps she should have taken the time to get to know her half-siblings when they had made the jump to upgrade Lorean. That wasn't an option now, but perhaps another sort of family could be found in this pocket of existence the Watchers had sent her to.

Archived