Mutants & Masterminds: Legacy - Issue #0 - Crisis

Joani

"Dad?" Watchwoman whispered, fighting the urge to drop next to him and give him a hug. Her father's lack of response, and that awful mocking smile, scared her more than anything else had yet today. Watchman shouldn't be like this, and she felt tears rise.

"Remember, Serene, tears will damage my circuitry," Hudsy warned and Watchwoman nodded. No tears.

The next crisis reared its lovely red head, and Watchwoman took the distraction gratefully. "No! MegaGirl, don't go alone!" she shouted and bounded after her. "I'll come with you, but you can't go alone."

She wasn't sure where Dawnstar was, but she wouldn't let Karra go back into there alone.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All MegaGirl could think off was her mother - she had friends, but only the one mom. It wasn't fair! Everyone got their parents back - Tessa and Hype even got both of theirs - she only wanted the one.

She opened the shuttle door with a hiss, cracking the control panel in her anxiety. Before she could fly off, Watchwoman's voice stopped her in her tracks. Serene is still the leader, and I'm supposed to follow the leader's direction. That's what mom would want me to do. If I do what mom wants, then I'll find her and everything will be okay.

"Okay S-Watchwoman, I won't go alone," There was a choked back sob in Karra's voice, but she swallowed it back, and firmed her voice back up. "Thank-you."

MegaGirl snaked out a long arm and pulled Serene close. She turned her back on the rest of the shuttle, and they could see her tense, ready to fly away at an almost impossible speed.

Quickly Tessa sized things up and with Karra's outburst reached out, gently with her TK. "Megagirl wait!" She stood, her telekinesis a gentle arm of strength trying to restrain her freind. "You're the only one who can get our parents back to HQ quickly and safely. Let me go, I'll look for Dawnstar. I can see in the dark normally, and I can fly pretty fast on my own, enough to get away if I need to. I can wait things out if I have to."

She looks to Serene. "I know you want us not to go alone, but I'll be alright. You to explain everything to Matrix, Echo to help navigate, Megagirl to carry it, and Hype can help Centurion tend to everyone. When you get them stabilized at HQ you can come back for me."

"Listen," Echo said urgently. "None of you are being rational about this. We should go in this time the same way we went in before. No more, no less. We'll just treat this as a temporary setback in what we were doing before we came back here."

Before Serene brought us back here, that is...

"So. Back to the shuttle bay, then I'll see if I can get the power back on so we can use the lift. If not, we'll just force the door open and fly down the shaft."

"Where's the other genie...?"

Djane looked around, tiredly. "C'mon. She's gotta be here... she's gotta be here and then she can go back in the zippo and this stupid day can END...!"

"... fwuh." She sagged in her seat. She let the powers she'd granted everyone lapse, although she had enough presense of mind not to do the same to MegaGirl's outfit. "Watchwoman... she made me do it. She told me not to tell you until we were back at the shuttle... she wished to go back in time. 21st century New York in America. I'm sorry. I had no choice...!"

She wiped the bridge of her nose. "She also said that she loves you."

For the moment, Djane suddenly didn't feel like complaining of her lot in life.

"No one goes anywhere alone."

If she loved me, she wouldn't have used me!

"No one!"

She used me, like she used Watchman.

"These team members need care, right now."

If she loved him, she should have stopped them. She could have saved him, if she loved him!

"Karra, I have to ask you to do something really hard. I have to ask you to take everyone back, let us offload the injured members, and then bring us back to find Jade Djinn and Dawnstar. Can you do that?"

Would Dad make this choice? "The needs of them many..." "League is your family..." "There are no right choices, just easy ones and hard ones..." Dad, what should I do?!

"We all go, and anyone who wants to stay with their parents, can." Watchwoman looked at all of them, her expression unreadable behind her mask and goggles. "This will be volunteer from here on out."

No tears, like Hudsy said.

MegaGirl looked at Watchwoman - her eyes still golden-green - then peered out the shuttle door, chewing her lip, hoping that she'd see her mom flying through the black and coming back to her. She sooo wanted to find mom right now! - but Serene was right too: The older Heroes can't win now, so we, the New Heroes have to do it for them and we have to keep the injured safe, if we can. That's what Heroes do.

"Okay Serene. I - I can do that - but we have to be fast! Let's go!"

MegaGirl zipped outside and to the top of the shuttle in less than a blink, fingers again digging into the allow of the hull. TK barely barely had time to telekinetically hold the door closed before MagaGirl was already flying away from Pluto at a speed not much slower than luminal. Everyone felt the same sense of being pulled forward and slightly to the left, and when they stopped, they saw the blue orb of Earth. They had only a tiny fraction of a moment to see it before MegaGirl hauled the shuttle to the Justice Society Headquarters, again leaving a trail of super-heated air in her wake.

The landing was not nearly as smooth as the take off, the shuttle sliding across the ferrocrete of the landing deck. The door of the shuttle was pushed open with such force that it was nearly torn from its frame. MegaGirl peered in, anxiety painting her open face.

"Go, go, go! Please hurry! We have to go back! Before the BlackCloudThing eats everything!"

"Ok, I got it, I'll zip them all up to the medbay in the HQ." says Hype as he matches his actions to his words and zips them as fast as practical to the HQ medbay.

That done he returns to the ship, "Right, I'm with you to get the others back," he turns to Centurion, "and we still have that spatial anomaly thing to deal with as well."

Originally Posted By: Celestial Centurion
Centurion seemed unperturbed by the sudden change of venue. Standing he said to Hype, "Your father will be fine, I must tend to the others. Stand aside all of you, this will go faster if I can move unimpeded." With that he took stock of the other Leaguers and moved to Watchman next, the copious bleeding making him the next most in need. He rose above the floor and glided to the man before laying his golden healing energies upon the man. He repeated the process, moving from victim to victim, providing each with a healing touch before moving on to the next. Stabilize, heal, next person, stabilize, heal next person. In short order he had visited every one of the injured once and began to move around to the each of them a second time, tending to those who's injuries were still lethal until all were resting as comfortably as possible within the tiny ship.

The Celestial Centurion tended carefully and faithfully every injured member of the Legacy League. It was part of his being to help those who served a similar purpose – to uphold justice and defend the galaxy from any evil there was. He felt Hælios’ power flowing through him approving of his actions and guiding him, speaking to him. Joining the Legacy League would properly increase his ‘ability’ to fulfil his duty – even though the ‘kids’ where making mistakes they managed to save their parents from a very dangerous situation. They had good hearts and honest ambitions.

Click to reveal..
CC manages to stabilize all injured members and restoring them to a good condition. They are still in a rough shape and now sleeping from the exhaustion caused both by the injuries and the mending process. Colossus has lost his superpowers and even after stabilizing him he probably will end up in a wheelchair or bound to bed. Thoughtwave had no obvious injuries but you managed to get her to sleep. She is still in a comatose/catatonic state. Hyperion and Twister are both physically ok and sleeping soundly. Watchman has no eyes – instead of eyes there are two red glowing pentagrams where his eyes would normally be. To your surprise you could not restore his eyes because it feels like he never had eyes to begin with.

Originally Posted By: Rorx
While the Centurion busied himself healing the parents, Hype zipped to what passed for a bridge on the shuttle and asked Samson to check on the anomaly's status.
Least I can do for the guy while he heals our people up is to check on the thing that brought him here.

Samson was unable to reach the ‘bridge’ – the Shuttle was too small for that. There was only a two seat Cockpit which was not built for people taller than 8 feet – like Samson or MegaGirl for example. Checking the scanners on his own Hype found out that the anomaly was still growing. It would take about 23 hours now to have ‘devoured’ Pluto completely. Hype had no idea what effect that would have but from the view he got outside to the anomaly and the asteroid belt beyond it surely wasn’t a good thing…

Originally Posted By: MegaGirl
The landing was not nearly as smooth as the take off, the shuttle sliding across the ferrocrete of the landing deck. The door of the shuttle was pushed open with such force that it was nearly torn from its frame. MegaGirl peered in, anxiety painting her open face.

"Go, go, go! Please hurry! We have to go back! Before the BlackCloudThing eats everything!"

Originally Posted By: Rorx
"Ok, I got it, I'll zip them all up to the medbay in the HQ." says Hype as he matches his actions to his words and zips them as fast as practical to the HQ medbay.

That done he returns to the ship, "Right, I'm with you to get the others back," he turns to Centurion, "and we still have that spatial anomaly thing to deal with as well."

Hype brought the parents as fast as he could to the Legacy HQs medical facility where the most proficient Doctors and Healers worked. Just before he returned to the landing pod the air flickered briefly announcing the arrival of Armageddon – the Justice Society’s highest judge and most powerful Super ever known to mankind.

Click to reveal..
Armageddon is easily over 16 feet tall and truly impressive both in presence and the immense power he radiates. He is widely feared by both villains and the Justice Society. His judgement is without remorse or regret. If he was human once that part has been long absorbed by the being he has become. It is questionable if he is truly ‘good’ – his demeanor is closer to being ‘neutral’; absolutely Neutral.

“It has been brought to my attention that you are investigating the breach of our Delta Prison on Pluto.”, his voice boomed with enormous power giving a brief hint of his vast powers. Armageddon was known to be able to destroy planets when he wanted.

Before the young heroes could answer the virtual generated shape of Matrix’ face appeared next to Armageddon and spoke in defence of the new League members.

“I have sent the children of the Legacy League to rescue their parents. They were the most suited for the task and they haven’t failed to succeed as you can see. There is no reason to judge their actions, Armageddon – if at all you should judge mine.”

Armageddon gave Matrix a long discriminating stare and then looked back to the young heroes his gaze not an iota warmer than before.

“Something has changed the fabric of our reality. I can feel it. You should, too.”, said Armageddon pointing at the Celestial Centurion.

Click to reveal..
Your cosmic awareness tingles again in the back of your mind and you can feel what Armageddon is saying. The anomaly cannot be stopped unless you go through that Hellgate and force it shut on the other side… whatever or wherever that may be.

“Things have been set in motion which we cannot undo now. Be prepared for dark times.”, Armageddon was turning and looking up to the sky and for a moment it looked as if he could see Pluto from there.

“The Hellgate has been opened and cannot be closed on this plane of existence. I shall judge you if you fail – so is the will of justice.”

Armageddon suddenly disappeared with the same flickering sensation that surrounded his body and left the heroes alone behind.

Karra cringed under the direct stare of Armageddon - he scared her and made her feel small, tiny. She had to think around him, trying to remember what she had done to see what she had done wrong.

At the mention of 'dark times', Karra whispered softly, "I can see in the dark."

'Hell' was a bad word, so a 'Hellgate' must have been a bad thing too, but... Maybe that is where Mom is? I have to go help!

Karra wrung her hands, anxious to go find her mother - and close the Hellgate, of course. It never occured to her that she might have been able to get a new uniform to replace her magically created one.

Originally Posted By: Armageddon
“Something has changed the fabric of our reality. I can feel it. You should, too.”, said Armageddon pointing at the Celestial Centurion.

Though dwarfed by the massive giant Centurion stood proudly and nodded once, "I have felt it, from lightyears away its wrong permeated through the fabric of this galaxy to find me, to alert me. Hælious has deemed it my priority to deal with this anomaly, to stop it or close it in whatever manner is required."

While everyone was getting their parents off the shuttle, Watchwoman hurried to her room. Azkatt grumbled at her softly, but she only had time to pause and pet him briefly. She hid the Zippo in her room, gave her beloved pet another hug and hurried back to the shuttle. She hoped someone would take care of her cat if she didn't come back. "Matrix," she said as she walked back into the bay, "if I don't return, make sure Azkatt is taken care of, please."

Armageddon's arrival brought more important things to the fore, and Watchwoman scowled at the massive being. "Let's go, then," Watchwoman said when he vanished, her voice hard and angry. Armageddon had once again shown up to order people in her life around; this time, instead of Watchman, it was her. "Like I said, volunteer only. Anyone who wants to stay and care for their parents is welcome to do so. No one will think less of you for putting family first."

That wasn't an option for her. Watchman would be so disappointed she remained behind just to care for him. He'd raised her to put duty first, before the desires of her heart. "But you only have thirty seconds to decide."

She'd nodded, but didn't like the situation at all. She didn't back down under Armageddon's gaze. "We'll get the job done, and save the world. That's what Members of the League do."

She looked to Karra. "Come on Karra, Let's get you a uniform so Djane can let that effect go. Then we we can head back to the ship and get it ready to go back."

"Heh. Uhm."

She's nice.

"Well... the Jade Djinni's still out there, and without her I'm pretty much stuck in the 'lamp' anyways... so... I'll come along, yeah."

She's probably being nice just to get something out of me. Yeah. Still. She's nice. I'm not used to that.

Tessa's voice cut through Karra's anxiety and the oversized amazon looked down on her much smaller friend.

"What do you mean? Djane's not holding my uniform. Oh, you mean it might go back to before and get small. Why would it do that? Samson stayed big and when we poofed to the shuttle, we didn't go back. Even my eyes still feel weird, but weird good, not weird funny or weird bad."

The tip of Karra's tongue poked from the side of her mouth as she thought about this hard, then she smiled hugely, her expression brightening.

"Oooh! But you're right Tessa, I should get my other uniform. I didn't do good with my black one, but I'll do better with my green one. Can I get my green one here? The replicators here can do that, right? I can be very fast. Let's go... which way?"

Tessa once again found herself in Karra's immensely strong, yet tender embrace, as MegaGirl took off in a blur. Within seconds, after a few course corrections, one battered wall, and two destroyed doors, Karra and Tessa were in one of the training rooms.

Thankfully, the replicator had the pattern on file for Karra's uniform - both black and green, and in less than a blink, MegaGirl was dressed up in a new uniform. Tessa watched MegaGirl pose and flex in the mirror for a few moments before discreetly coughing.

Karra went bright red, then plucked up Tessa once again and dashed for the landing pad. Luckily, Karra followed the exact same path back to the landing pad, so the only things she damaged had already experienced her touch.

Centurion looked around to the others. His bearing was that of a man who was sure of himself. "I cannot say where that gate will take us. We may end up on the other side of the universe and unable to return immediately. I suggest that if you require food, or equipment that you prepare accordingly; it may be that we find ourselves unable to return in a timely fashion." He looked at each of them, "And I thank you all for agreeing to come on this journey. It will be well to have such capable companions."

"One last thing," Serene said. She glanced at Samson and said, "We'll need some food and supplies, and another ring." They waited a moment while it was all brought, then Watchwoman turned to Celestial Centurion and spoke. "Throughout the League's history, they have made allies who weren't part of the League, yet they were trusted as much as anyone in the League. These friends were gifted with a League ring, as a sign of that trust."

Watchwoman extended the ring to Centurion and said, "It is in this spirit that I offer you a League ring, as a friend of the League." Her red lips curved into an enticing smile, a tantalizing promise of the beauty that she carefully hid behind her mask. "Unless you wanted to join us, of course. But I sense you have ties that cannot be ignored. So let us at least be allies and friends."

Centurion accepts the ring from the black clad Watchwoman and in a dazzle of warm sunlight his armor evaporates giving the others their first full view of him. Even without the armor he is broad shouldered and well muscled though not as heavily as many super beings. He wears a solid black jumpsuit that clings tight to his body, allowing maximum comfort and mobility. He nods his head and slips the ring onto his finger, "I am honored." He settles the ring on his finger and in a blaze of light is once more clad in his golden armor, the red crest waving in the breeze of the landing platform.

OCC: Unless you know a lot about alien species its probably not possible to tell that he is a Sartori just by looking at him.

Having grabbed some odds and ends of gear and made sure that the shuttle's replicator is topped off for supplying at least rations Hype turns to the others as Centurion replaces his armour, "So is that it now? Can we finally get back there and check on the other life signs? Or where you planning on leaving them to their fate and going straight into the Hellgate?"

Hype replies calmly, "You said there was 6 to 12 lifesigns down there, and we brought out 5, which to my reckoning there should be at least one person still down there and possibly more. They could be guards, they could be villains, but we shouldn't leave them there with the Hellgate eating Pluto."

MegaGirl bounced on her toes, clearly anxious to be on the way. Her heels hit the landing deck hard enough that the others could feel slight tremors through the soles of their feet.

"Less talking, more zooming. We can go now?"

I'll find you mom. Oh, and fix the bad-word-gate too, so Armeggedon won't judge me... He scares me.

"No, I didn't hear that," Watchwoman said, her lips shaking a bit before she firmed them up. "I wouldn't have left them. We will go back for them. I made an assumption. It will not happen again."

Inside, she was cringing at the thought of what Watchman would have said to her for that mistake. "I was in the other room," she said, aware that she was working too hard to redeem herself. "I had just faced... Amore, who had been a prisoner there. I just... I tried to get us all out quickly, and- It won't happen again." Her words were firm as she spoke. She couldn't let something like that happen again, because next time she saw her mother, she was going to put her down.

Archived