Mutants & Masterminds: Legacy - Issue #0 - Crisis

Joani

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Ooops! I'm sorry D - Jane - De'Jane - Djane? Djane." Karra frowned - spelling in English was weird; Shytari made a lot more sense. "If 'D' is silent, and Djane and Jane sound the same, why is it there?"

Karra's usual smile came back as a solution to her lingual dilemma came to her. "But you helped Samson be big and strong and tough again, so you can have a 'D' in Djane if you want."

She watched the new-made Djinn limp beside her, and when she mentioned she was tired, plucked up the comparatively tiny woman with one of her long arms. "You helped Samson, so I should help you Djane, with a 'D'. Granting wishes must be hard work, like flying around the Earth ten times in a row - in the air - the wrong way! I did that once - I saw this old holovideo of a superhero who flew around the Earth so fast he went back in time and I wanted to see if I could do it too - but I don't think I went fast enough, 'cause when I stopped, it was the next day."

Tessa nodded to Serene. "I'm good to go once I have a ring." She watched as Mega Girl scooped up another member of the team and sighed. Karra was simply this way, meaning well, but not always mindful that most people didn't like being picked up like a toy.

She looked to Djane and smiled. "See you're making friends already."

The young Superheroes arrived quickly at the shuttle Echo located which was fully fueled and ready to launch.

Samson arrived a few minutes later with the Legacy Rings and handed them out to the newly declared members of the League.

"The rings will take about 5 minutes to adjust to your biometry and will then be only usable by you. It has a mental interface which should be easy to learn.", Samson entered the shuttle having difficulties like MegaGirl to not bump into any intersection and doors.

"So who's going to fly this thing? I could but I'm too large now.", Samson looked at the others hoping that one of them had knowledge how to handle a shuttle.

"If not we have to improvise I suppose.", he winked at MegaGirl and waited for someone to speak up. Else MegaGirl would have to carry the shuttle and fly them there.

Click to reveal..

At the sight of Samson with rings in hand, Karra rushed to stand beside him, bouncing on her toes in excitement. Her hand trembled as she held it out and Samson slid a Legacy Ring on a long finger.

Karra closed her powerful hand into a fist, simply staring at the symbol of League-hood with an elated smile. MegaGirl's distraction gave Djane her opportunity to slide from her grasp, unnoticed.

Suddenly, she burst into the air with a thunderously gleeful yell, "Yes! Woohoo! I'm a full member of the League now! Just like mom! Whee!" MegaGirl flew through the air, faster and faster, her towering figure a blur as she formed loops and rings over the flight deck.

"What can you do, RIng?" Karra asked her ring, while flying around in joy. She was only a little surprised when it answered back.

*I can allow you to survive the rigors of space*

"I can do that!"

*I can protect you with a force field, enabling you to resist harm... processing... processing... this function is disabled, your physical composition is more durable than the field*

"Awww! What else?"

*I can enable you to contact the other possessors of Legacy Rings within a range of five miles*

"... That's good I guess, it's hard to talk in the black. Can you do anything fun or good, Ring?"

*I can enable you to fly... processing -*

"I can fly already!"

*...processing... increasing your innate flight capabilities by a factor of fifty*

"Fifty?! That's really fast... Is that fast enough to fly around the Earth and go back in time?"

*No*

"Aww. Still, this gonna be so much fun."

*I can enable you to -*

MegaGirl ignored anything else the ring said when she saw Samson wink at her. She felt a flutter in her chest - he was very handsome, and big and strong again.

"Improvise?" Karra wondered. I'm eighteen now, a fully grown woman and a full Legacy League member - maybe we could go on a date and maybe - he's a bit old - but still - Wait! First we have a mission to Pluto.

MegaGirl settled down on the roof of the shuttlecraft, bracing herself with her long legs, and getting a good grip with her hands, her immense strength pressing her fingers into the metal vehicle. Her whole body was tense, ready to spring into action at a moments notice. Like a true hero.

"All aboard! I'll have you to Pluto faster than any ship... just show me how to get there."

Djane slips the ring on, looking at it. "Huh. So wait, I'm a member of the Justice Whatevers now?"

She rolled her eyes at Tess. "Yeah, I'm making friends. Like I actually want to go on this stupid mission and all that. Some friends. 'Course, they'll probably throw me in jail or something if I say no, soooooo... hooray for the Legacy League?"

"Everyone aboard," Se- Watchgirl said, reflecting that she really needed a better name. Something to worry about later. "Our engine is about ready to go. Let's not keep her waiting." That might be disastrous. Karra bored is frightening.

She took the ring from Samson and slipped it over her finger. It felt wrong to be getting it like this; Watchman should be here to give her one of his rare smiles. There should be something more here, to mark the occasion.

Look at your reality; don't waste time dreaming about what could be.

Watchman's gruff voice reminded her to keep her mind on her job. She squared her deceptively small shoulders and boarded the ship.

Tessa smiled. "For what it's worth I don't think anyone believes you did anything wrong. Looks at this as an opportunity to do something amazing. You're already off to a great start, I don't think the Jade Djinni could have restored Samson's powers like you did. That's damned impressive in my book."

She slipped on her own ring and allowed it to synchronize with her biometrics. She boarded the shuttle and strapped in. "Echo could you get the ship's auto-pilot to plot a course for us to Pluto and since none of us seem to have been trained to fly the craft, relay the information necessary to Kara?"

"I'm already doing it," Echo informs Tessa testily. "It's clearing us...there we go."

There was a tone, and the shuttle's instrument panels came to life. A projected three-dimensional humanoid head with bland features floated over the center of the panels.

"Thank you for using TrinTech interplanetary space travel solutions," the AI's head intoned. "Please input your start location and destination verbally or via manual entry."

"Too slow," Echo snapped. "Configure for direct access." With a hiss, the black ports on her right arm snapped open. Ropey lines of silver snaked out of each one and started twisting and coiling around her arm, following the definition of her muscles. Then new structures were created overlaying that; a small globe on her shoulder nestled between an array of small antennae, a mysterious cowling around her forearm, a few panels with colored buttons and switches on her wrist and bicep. When fully deployed, the Dynamic Reconfigurable Universal Interface Device made Echo's right arm considerably thicker looking than her left.

In considerably less than a second it had interfaced with the shuttle's computer, and was uploading Echo's commands. It returned the information she requested from its system charts. A moment later she used her ring to send a message to the oversized Karra. Despite her impatience, she spoke to Karra slowly and clearly, basing her directions on careful calculations from navigational data from the ship. She knew it would save a lot more time in the future to make her understand things now.

"I'm going to tell you where to take us to get us to Pluto. To start with, find the sun and turn to face away from it. Then pick us up and fly straight up until you see a big space station in orbit. Turn so that your right shoulder is facing that space station, then fly straight as fast as you can go until I tell you to turn again."

Hype gladly took his ring and his seat in the ship. Then he simply had to concentrate on not fidgeting all the way to Pluto. He knew it wouldn't help, and would likely irritate the others, but he wanted to pace and had to force himself not to.

"And away we go!"

Karra's grip tightened slightly with the soft squeal of distressed cerasteel. The shuttle was a good size, about the limit of what she could carry with ease when she was totally focused on flying as fast as she could.

The occupants of the shuttle could feel it smoothly shift as Karra lifted off the flight deck, turning to follow Echo's directions. Then the g-forces slammed into them for a brief moment before the inertial dampeners had a chance to kick in.

The air screamed over Karra's huge, muscled form as they rocketed towards the freedom of the black; she let out a soft moan as the fierce air friction caressed her golden-bronze skin with a heat that almost burned. Her path towards space was clearly delineated by the straight line of glowing orange, super-heated air. Karra's jubilant laughter could be heard over the Ring Network.

No more than half a minute later, Karra floated in the blissful silence of space, the L5 Space Station off the her right, the shuttle held beneath her like an oversized piece of luggage.

"Um... Echo? I need to know where Pluto is right now. If I zoom as fast as I can, I'll miss it." It was hard to explain how zooming worked to those who couldn't do it.

"Karra, just follow my directions-" Echo said, trying to be patient.

"Show me!"

"... " Over the Ring Network, an image the solar system appeared in Karra's mind, their position and the postion of Pluto clearly indicated.

Karra let her mind go blank, her unfocused eyes glowing like miniature, green suns. She was good at that. Only the two points mattered; they burned themselves into her mind, everything else fading into nothingness... Then she zoomed.

To those on the ship, time seemed to stop, to expand. It looked like the stars, then the forward part of the ship, then they themselves all stretched forward, meeting together at the vanishing point. There was the definite feeling of moving forward, and of a slight listing down and to the left, then everything snapped back into razor-sharp focus.

Checking the chronometer, even Echo's mental swiftness stuttered when she realized the time spent zooming had lasted no more than a hundred-thousandth of a second. It had felt much longer.

"Weeeeee're Heeeeeeere!" Karra's girlish voice rang over the Network, followed by a mental gasp of shock.

Click to reveal..
Djane's to-hit is +12; saving throw is Fort 21.

"You think it's so awesome, you try dressing like this." Djane snaps her fingers, transforming Tess's outfit to match hers in a puff of white smoke. "And be thankful that WOAH - "

Djane is thrown back in her seat for the duration of the trip. "Crap oh crap oh crap oh crap I'm gonna die friiiiiiiiiiig - "

Then they stop. Djane gasps, her heart thumping in her chest. "Oog."

Tessa looks down and sighs. She hadn't expected the magical assault and just let it happen. This was going to be a long day.

Slammed back by Their acceleration and then straining against the harness when they stopped Tessa was glad she strapped in.

"That was a wild ride."

She looks at Djane who looks like she might hurl any moment and unhooks her own harness, moving up to the front of the ship. She looks out the viewport, thinking she was prepared for anything.

As soon as the shuttle reached it’s destination an inexplicable sense of doom spread in the pit of everyone’s stomach. Just beyond Pluto there was an event horizon which devoured everything it touched including parts of the asteroid belt. It looked like a huge black cloud spread from it’s ‘mouth’ and covered half of Pluto’s surface up to the delta prison.

From the distance MegaGirl could see that the prison’s outer perimeter got breached and a large whole the size of a shuttle was right at it’s core. Several dead bodies of security guards drifted through the vacuum of space. There was no immediate sign of any of the Legacy League members.

Click to reveal..
good – I’m still a bit new at this and underestimated MegaGirl’s impressive abilities. The trip really only took a few seconds. The rings immunity will be upped to Life Support (rank 9 immunity) but I have to redo the math on it once I’m home. To keep things fair since I thought the trip would take an hour I will erase Djane’s fatigue status. The wish winded you but you recovered faster than expected. Post at your leisure

Serene locked her jaw and cut off her cry of despair. Where are you, Watchman?! "Scan for life signs," she ordered, toggling communications through her HUD. "Pluto Super Prison, this is S-Watchwoman of the Legacy League. Please respond with your status."

She hoped that Karra would understand that she was too old to be anything-girl. Then she shunted that irrelevant thought aside and continued to radio the prison.

Tessa looked out, and even her iron resolve melt away. There was no sign of any of their parents. She ran her mind througfh several centering excercises her mother had taught her. "Let's get down to the surface. We've got dead guards, and likely escaped criminals. "I'm not one to rush blindly into a situation normally, but this goes far beyond anything else I've heard of. There may still be guards down there, and they'll need our help."

"That's what we're trying to find out," Serene said, her voice once again doing a fair imitation of Watchman's. "If you want to help, scan for life signs, if you know how. We need to know who needs immediate rescue and who can wait a bit. And that means guards and prisoners alike. We don't need to go rushing in, especially not into a potential hostage situation or running at a frightened, hurt supervillain."

Switching her radio feed back on, Watchwoman hailed the prison again.

The communication line was dead for a second and then a general alarm message could be heard. There was no human response, just a recorded call for help and a warning to not approach the prison if not authorized.

Checking for life signs took some time and seconds ticked away like hours. The system had to do another check before it confirmed it’s first scan.

Weak life signs found in prison block area Epsilon-5

A virtual 3-D map appeared and showed a floor map of the prison. Epsilon-5 was 5 levels below surface in the high security area of the prison. Only the most extreme cases where kept there – like Nexus or Mr. Smiles…

"OH fantastic." her sarcasm evident as the readout and map appeared. Her Father had told her stories about some of the villains in the prison, hell he'd used them as boogiemen whenshe was very young, so she'd always had a healthy respect for their abilities.

"This just keeps getting better."

"Perfect." Watchwoman sighed. "Let's hope they stuck the guards down there. Echo, turn the sensors on that event horizon, let's find out what it is. Or isn't."

Turning to the computer, she requested it to show whose cells those weak life signs were in. Maybe that could give them a clue about whom they'd be facing. The computer was giving her more clearance than she expected, and Serene grinned as she realized that Matrix had upped her access. Awesome, that should help. Quickly, she plotted a course through the prison, then uploaded it into her HUD's databanks.

As soon as Echo cleared them to approach the event horizon, they could move.

Echo nodded and sent the command through the direct interface she'd established. The shuttle's sensors were not terribly good as spacecraft suites went, but they were enough to get a telescopic image and some basic spectroscopy done. Data being returned from the scanners filled the DRUID's bandwidth for several seconds as the results uploaded.

"Scanning," she said belatedly as she sorted through the images and information and began figuring out what was important and what wasn't.

(Not sure what I should roll, but let me know and I'll roll it. :))

The scanners provided her with pictures that evidently showed how a spacecraft managed to bypass the perimeter defence systems and crashed directly into the buildings main core. The vessel itself got almost completely destroyed except for a tiny drone that got launched just before impact. That drone disappeared in the direction of the event horizon with a white flash. The event horizon is slowly expanding and the shuttle’s scanners are not capable of analyzing more from it’s source. The black cloud that covered half of Pluto’s surface gave all kinds of weird and unreasonable readings from temporal shifts too chemical impossible structures and odd radiation. Something was obviously messing with the scanners.

Echo couldn’t clearly identify what the black cloud was, but the event horizon was expanding slowly and at it’s given rate it would devour Pluto in the next 24 hours.

Originally Posted By: Serene Dorian
Turning to the computer, she requested it to show whose cells those weak life signs were in. Maybe that could give them a clue about whom they'd be facing. The computer was giving her more clearance than she expected, and Serene grinned as she realized that Matrix had upped her access. Awesome, that should help. Quickly, she plotted a course through the prison, then uploaded it into her HUD's databanks.

The Computer couldn’t really pinpoint the life signs. It displayed a number between 6 to 12 ‘blips’ that were evenly spread across the special cells created to contain those supervillains that could not be contained in ‘normal’ cells.

Karra's glowing green eyes widened at the sight of the black cloud, and she almost zoomed away as fast as she could, afraid that it might be a black hole eating the planet. Mom had made sure she knew that going near black holes was bad, had warned her what it felt like; only the fact she didn't feel like she was being sucked in stopped her from instinctive flight.

Enormous strength flooded her sinews as she stopped focusing of zooming, instead relying on a portion of her normal flight power to approach the prison at much more cautious pace in the vastness of space. She flew towards the hole in the prison perimeter, her head twisting around, trying to locate any sign of her mom or the rest of the Legacy League; the shuttlecraft in her hands rocked with the motion of her distracted reconnaissance.

Click to reveal..

MegaGirl Array: SStr 8 ranks (12 total), Flight 2 ranks (7 total, 2500mph)

Perception Roll to Notice anything (1d20+8=19)

"MOM?!" Karra screamed, the vacuum of space swallowing the sounds expelled by her powerful lungs. At the same time, MegaGirl roared through the ring as loud as she could, MOM?! ANYBODY?!

Though the sight of the devouring cloud was unnerving, MegaGirl still headed for the breeched Super Prison. She was a Hero now, a full member of the Legacy League. It was up to her - them - to rescue their parents and help those still in the prison and stop the Villains from escaping and put them back in prison - another prison, since it looked like the black was gonna eat this one.

She was a Hero, and would not fail.

Echo paused a second to re-verify the results, then said to Serene with a frustrated tone, "Sensor readings are inconclusive. There's no data coming back from that..." she pointed at the 'event horizon', "at all. The data from the cloud is faulty. Self-contradicting in some places, just bizarre in others. About all I can say for sure is that the phenomenon is getting bigger, and it'll engulf all of Pluto in a little less than twenty-four hours."

She grimaced, then added, "We should avoid that cloud if we can. If it causes sensor results like these, who knows what it would do to other equipment? Or us."

Or did to our parents, Serene thought, and gave herself a mental pat on the back for not saying that out loud and scaring everyone else. She had scared herself though, and the young woman swallowed hard before saying, "Karra, you don't need to shout. If Dawnstar is in range of the rings, she'll hear you if you speak normally. Please take us to... the entrance closest to the northern axis of Pluto. We're now on a timeclock; we have six to twelve lifesigns to rescue. They could be prisoners, being on the fifth level. We also need data on what happened to... the other members of the League. And we have appromixately twenty-fours to do this in."

She turned to the others. "I have a map that I can upload to a computer. Does anyone have a PDC (OOC: Personal Data Computer) or a neural interface so that I'm not the only one who knows the way?"

"Okay Ser - Watchgi - Watchwoman, I'm sorry, I never had a ring like this before. And we're on a heroic mission now, call me... MegaGirl!" Someday, she would be MegaWoman - or maybe even UltraWoman - but for now, she was still MegaGirl.

The shuttlecraft rocked slightly as MegaGirl swerved to change her trajectory towards the delta-class prison, heading for the opposite side of the breech, her speed jumping by a factor of ten.

Click to reveal..
MegaGirl Array: SStr 4 (8 ranks total), Flight 6 (11 ranks total, 25,000mph)

"The northern axis is the top part right? Ooops!" Another shudder shook the shuttlecraft as MegaGirl adjusted her angle of approach again to both Watchwoman's and Echo's quickly supplied directions - they didn't bother to explain that the top part of a planet was based on Karra's veiwpoint and had no bearing on how North was determined.

"Oh good! I like maps - they help me not get lost. That's why mom got me this personal communicator, see?" The shuttle vibrated with the force of MegaGirl's taps on the roof - apparently this was meant to demonstrate that she had a personal communicator on her wrist. "Well, that, and to call me when she needs me home."

MegaGirl placed the shuttle as gentle as she could next to the breached section which was in ruins. The emergency seals have secured the structures integrity and their faint bluish forcefield illuminated the area with a ghostly light. Dead bodies were drifting slowly above the ground some where seriously injured and torn apart while others didn’t show any obvious external injuries. There were no prisoners among the dead here – only guards.

Serene made sure that the shuttle remained at it’s location by magnetically locking it with the ground where MegaGirl had put them down. Looking at the others she nodded briefly before she opened the shuttle’s door. The Legacy Ring helped them to endure the hardships of space and it’s built in flight device prevented them from drifting away helplessly. There was no sound and even though the life support of the ring protected them, the incredible cold environment was almost palpable.

600px-Orion_Nebula_-_Hubble_2006_mosaic_

Celestial Centurion floated in the microgravity of space. His body was relaxed, all his joints partially flexed in a natural relaxed state. Behind the visor of his crested helmet his face showed that he was at peace, his eyes half closed as he extended his senses out into the cosmos. He could sense the fluxing energy within the nebula even as his eyes took in the gaseous expanse as little more than a fog of dust and slowly coalescing matter. Behind him an infant star seemed to seethe with cosmic energy as it slowly gathered further mass to itself as it grew. Though he no longer needed to eat or drink or fear the rigors of space the Centurion still needed rest. The nebula was a stellar nursery and he felt invigorated as he absorbed the power of these new stars as he rested his mind and body.

The being that called itself Hælious had chosen Herak to be its champion and empowered him with the very energy of the cosmos. For Herak his powers manifested as the power of the stars themselves. He was still young and new to his duty, his powers were newly manifest and his senses still limited by his preconceptions of his formerly mortal frame. As he floated there he felt something wrong. His experience was limited and he couldn’t put his finger on just what it was but he could sense that Hælious desired him to respond. With a second of thought his body burst into incandescence; flesh became the inferno or stellar plasma, sheathed in nutronium armor Centurion still blazed like a flare as he dove headlong into the infant star, concentrating and opening himself to the cosmic energy field of the universe. His form, now energy, slid into the network of stellar corridors and conduits that laced the whole of existence together and he transitioned instantly to the star known as Sol to the people of its system.

An eruption of plasma, neutrons and protons bound together by sheer gravity and the inestimable magnetic loops and whorls of the solar surface, blossomed outward as Centurion flashed to superluminal speed and escaped the embrace of Sol. The anomaly was at the very edge of the solar system, amid the confused transition into the comet laden Kuiper Belt. Even at superluminal speed the distance was considerable and it took ten minutes for the blazing form to reach the anomaly.

Centurion slowed as he approached the large asteroid. He knew not what this system’s people called it but he knew as he saw the inky blackness expanding across its surface that he had found the anomaly. To his senses he could see that it was some sort of hemisphere, the black event horizon was the transition boundary of a warp gate; he knew not how he knew this for Herak had never seen or heard of a warp gate like this. He saw a ship descend to the surface of the dwarf planet. He wondered how they could not see the danger, or if perhaps there was something worth risking so much within the tiny installation. Like a laser he crossed the distance in an instant reaching the installation as the ship set down and magnetically locked itself to the landing pad. When the tall woman moved from under the ship as she set it down Centurion merely hovered nearby, in vacuum he could not speak and so he simply hung there, a blazing figure in armor, his pose relaxed he drifted slowly forward and prepared to reclaim his physical form. Above and behind the installation the planetoid’s moon skirted the blackness.

TK nodded "Let me see it." A few moments later she'd's studied the map and knew the route they'd need to take and exited the shuttle. She saw the entity there watching them. "We are not alone." She sent to everyone through the ring.

She prepared to reach out with her telekinesis, but decided something abit lighter might work. She reached out with her mind. "Who are you, why are you here?" There was an edge to her thoughts, the situation was very tense. She silently hoped they'd get through.

Serene opened the back hatch of the ship and stopped short. "Hudsy," she said, activating her HUD's AI. Technically, his name was HUDC, but she'd turned it into a name when she was fourteen, and it had stuck in her head. "Identify the person in front of us," she ordered.

"Working. No known identification," Hudsy told her, his electronic voice familiar and therefore soothing.

"TK, he's not an enemy that we know. Can you talk to him mentally, see if he'd be willing to nip into the prison with us to talk face to face?" she asked her teammate.

"Already am," TK told her tensely.

"I don't think he's a bad guy," Watchwoman said. "He would have attacked us already, and my AI doesn't know him."

I am Her ... I am known as the Celestial Centurion, Champion of the Cosmos, Avatar of Hælious. I have been called here by a threat to this solar system. Centurion glided closer defying the minuscule gravity of Pluto as easily as he had that of Sol itself. The yellow-white fire of his solar form blasted out from the seams of his armor and from under his helm. Seeing that these people would not immediately attack he transformed once more into solid flesh and bone the warming light snuffed out allowing the others to view his golden armor and the crimson crest of his helmet.

And you? Who are you and why are you here? He gestured, pointing a gauntlet clad hand toward the encroaching field of nothingness, What do you know of this anomaly? He looked over those four that he could see, noting with surprise that they were all female. His gaze took in the iconography on the side of the shuttle and he recognized the symbol of the Legacy League. Seeing no identifying marks on the women he resolved to assume they were League members until proven otherwise.

Click to reveal..
(13:22:29) (Centurion): Notice Check at +7 against DC 15

(13:22:34) ChatBot: (Centurion) rolls 1d20 and gets 4.

"My Name is T.K. Welcome to the Sol System. We're here because this prison facility has been breached and a number of our members have gone silent." She gestures to the anomally. "As for that, we've scanned it, but garnered little information. By chance can you tell us what it is?"

It is an artificially formed warp gate of a type I am unfamiliar with. Its apparent expansion is troubling as anything passing through the event horizon will be translated to the other end of the gate. He studies the gate for a moment, This appears to be generating an immense distortion field, it is possible that this gate is capable of spanning between this galaxy and another. If he is put off by the mental communication he gives no indication and instead begins his own line of questioning. Are you and your companions part of the Legacy League? Where any of the prisoners able to escape?

She quickly relays His words to the others via the ring before continuing to address him. "Yes, all of us are members of the League, as to the possible escape of prisoners, I'd say that's most likely, though I do not know where they would have gone."

She frowns."We are reading some signs of life deep within the more secure areas of the complex and are proceeding there to ascertain their nature."

She was already cocentrating hard to keep her ling to the Centurion up. Serene's interruption strained it. "I'll ask, you all go ahead inside, If he proves agreaable we'll catch up to you."

With that she turned back to the Centurion and shook her head. "I am not the team leader, just the one who was deemed most likely to be able to communicate with you.

She walked over to him and offered him a hand and lead him back to the entrance and through the barrier. You should be able to speak to the others now.

Archived