Interest in Ars Magica

Jordan

I'm looking to make a companion scholar with aims to bridge some of the language gap between mages, and to act as a repository of lores and laws. (The sort of dude that can come in handy in a covenant) I'd prefer he be a consor, belonging to a specific mage rather than a covenant plaything.

Hey guys. Sorry I've been away for the last few days with no word. Life kind of kicked me where it counts but I'm still standing.

Smax, consor is a term used in older versions of the game and if I remember correctly it's used by Magi to refer to their trusted non-magical companions.

As for your companion characters, if you want to link them to another character's Magi that is more than fine however it in not required. In any event, you'll need to explain just why your companion hangs around Magi and why they would have traveled from whatever Covenant they were originally living and serving at to Pedn An Laaz. Optionally they could be considered free agents at the start of the game and join the Covenant in game through roleplay.

Okay, I'm eager to get the actual game rolling as I believe people are starting to loose interest. So on that note, I'm giving everyone until August 8th to get in their characters, backgrounds included. I'll take a quick check to make sure everything is kosher and then I'll start the first stories no later than the 10th.

Any characters not submitted by then will not be part of the starting story and will have to join the Covenant at a later date through roleplay.

Ok Saint I've generated John - my Companion. From your Magus' background I guess they would have first met at the London Covenant?

Jordan. can you let me know if John is ok so far? I'll post you what I've got for his background so far and when you give permission post up the public info on him.

Oh, forgot a point - I see that I can't actually take Latin for someone unless they have an advantage that gives them access to at least that, if not Academic skills in general. Does that still apply once we start play or can I pick up the Latin then?

Okay, it's the day before the character deadline and I still haven't heard back from Alex or Sarah. Could you guys shoot me a message soon letting me know if you are still with up or not please?

Also, Saint, I need to see something for you companion real soon, otherwise we are starting without him/her.

Don't sweat it.

I'm good to start a companion once we get started. I'll feel more confident in making characters once I've got a handle on what the game's going to be like.

On that note though, Politics post looks interesting. When is the next Tribunal going to take place?

Okay, I'll be putting up the first IC post shortly. If your Companion has been approved and is accociated with a Magi, feel free to include them. I'll be running a thread for any companions not getting introduced here.

Given the number of languages that might be used during a single scene in this game might I suggest the following

"" denotes things in Latin - as that is the common language of the Mages.

{b}Bulgarian{b} for Victor

{c} Cornish{c} for some dealing with peasants etc

{f} French{f} for dealing with Nobles

{e}English{e} for some peasants/servants etc

Thoughts

By the way, I'll leave several posts for Victor and John to chat to those in the bar before Micheal actually enters - he was 5-10 minutes behind them in arriving.

Okay just a note and reminder to everyone who doesn't have the Gentle Gift Virtue. People react badly to the Gift. They tend to be suspicious, wary and uncomfortable around someone with it, even if they have it themselves. They can train themsevles to get over it or get used to it when it comes to specific people with the Gift (which is why you can even have covenfolk at all), but it takes time. This is also true of animals. Magi cannot ride horses unless they have the Gentle Gift, and even leading them can cause problems as they shy away and try to get free.

Rorx we'll leave your post as is as we are all still getting used to the system and world but just note that unless you have the Gentle Gift Virtue, people's initial reaction to will generally be on the negative side of neutral at best.

So who all are we waiting on to get this ball rolling?

I don't really feel like dropping all my cards on the dinner table, and would prefer not to spend 3 weeks making small-talk in character.

Also, on the subject of purely talky posts, Victor's got a smattering of social skills dedicated to keeping things civil, and not being read when he's trying to be conservative, which I'd like to use here. I'll go ahead and add a dice roll in.

Looking back on it, I wonder if

Open only if you can crack a 12 with a folk Ken roll:

Click to reveal..
Victor likes boots more than he likes hedge-wizards

would be more appropriate?

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I owe you all an appology for my lack of presence around here of late. Unfortunately real life has turned upside down for me at the moment and I'm not sure if I will still have internet access (or even rent!) by this time next month. So right now I need to focus on getting my real life situation stable before I can devote time running the game.

Hopefully things will be making a turn for the better very soon. I qualify for a government training program and will be going back to school soon, which will also stabilize my financial situation, so things aren't all grim.

So for now I will need to put the game on hiatus. I do plan to, and want to continue with the game I just can't manage it at the moment. I'm sorry for the incovieniance and hope you guys understand.

Archived