Dance of Shadows

Ravenna

Although the frozen rain had long stopped mist quietly settled in across the streets and many canals of the city known as Venice. Throughout the streets upon this Dark Medieval night merchants still made attempts at selling their wares to passersby in early hours before all retired to their homes. The damp chill air clung to the flesh of those in the streets like a heavy burden as they wrapped themselves up tight as they searched for warm places to retire.

All but a single soul moved through the streets unbothered by the cold. The workers, merchants, and peasantry all strode about holding various things above their heads to stifle the slight chill of the frozen drizzle in hopes to keep what passed for rags upon their bodies a bit drier a bit longer.

Ravenna marched on the streets this evening with purpose and the throngs of passersby did little to halt her stride. Where they wore rags or modest dresses or attire she was clad in thick black leathers, oiled to a sheen it seemed in the dimly lit wet streets. Her black velvet mantle covered her angelic features she'd not seen in over two decades as the curse of her blood has stolen her reflection away from her for eternity.

The guards hadn't yet traded duties as she approached the bridge to the canal that would lead her into the noble's district. This was sometimes a problem since the vampires of Venice made sure to keep the guards either paid well for allowing them to pass or they were ghouled to the prince and gave right of way to those Damned the city called home. When that shift change hadn't occurred yet sometimes the mortals never realized they were causing trouble for the wrong people.

Her boot splashed down into a puddle that shown no signs of her presence within its reflection as she approached the two guards, one of which had already raised his hand to stop her. "This bridge is off limits after sun down, go on, git. Go through Capo Manin if ya gotta but ye ain't going this way outsider."

Ravenna sure was dressed as an outsider, with her dark leathers and billowing velvet mantle, but she had no time to deal with mortal fools this evening, she had business to attend to. With a graceful flip of her wrists the wide hood of the mantle fell to her shoulders revealing an angelic beauty the likes of which the men had rarely (if ever) seen. It pleased her to see how they both faltered slightly upon finally catching a glimpse of what lie beneath her shadows of velvet.

"Let me pass." she said firmly as she looked into the mans eyes and saw nothing within them looking back at her. His mind was weak and easily contorted to her whims.

"O-of course, please." He waved his hand out wide and respectfully let her pass across the bridge never once acknowledging the odd stares her received from his partner.

Several minutes later The Scourge of Venice stood at the threshold of a marvelous estate, her hood once again pulled up over her head, only the faintest hint of her reddened lips were revealed through its shadows.

Heavily she pounded upon the thick door...

A guard answered the knock through a small viewing square cut into the door. He frowned at the strange and unnacompanied woman standing the doorway, but asked politely, "May I help you, madam?"

"I am here to speak to your mistress. Let her know that her cousin is here to speak to her of city matters, and be quick about it." The guard swallowed and nodded, something in the woman's aura telling him to use any excuse to as far away from this stranger as quickly as possible.

Several minutes passed in the soft patter of rain before there was a flurry of sound from inside the estate and the gate doors were opened. Behind them the mistress of the house was waiting, her face pale and composed. She was dressed in a conservative if fashionable dress of creme velvet, indicating that she was either to go to a fete later in the night or was hosting a more sedate salon than was her usual wont. The servant standing at her side was holding an umbrella for his mistress to ensure the weather did not ruin clothes that had cost more than he did. Mortal senses would never notice the minuscule widening of Dolore's eyes, but Ravenna had decades of observing behind her and was used to being a surprising and usually unwelcome visitor. To her credit, Dolore only stepped forward and held her hands out in greeting to her unexpected guest.

"Ravenna. Welcome to the Colonna estate; please, come in." As they made their way into the house proper the young Lasombra asked quietly, "And how may I be of service to you, and the city, this evening?"

"What I have to say is for none but us to hear." The Scourge replied flatly. She kept the hood of her mantle pulled low and simply walked on with a request for the estate's mistress to follow her left unspoken.

It was a bit unnerving to see how well Ravenna knew the halls of Colonna estate nut it wasn't surprising considering her position within the city often had her visiting the interior of many homes with or without the owners permission.

Soon within the security of a spacious reading room Ravenna drew back her hood to that the 'cousins' could speak face to face. Free of the presence of lowly mortals she relaxed somewhat and tried to be respectful. Her position as Scourge had made her a rather tactless and overbearing woman. "My apologies for tearing you away from any other engagements of this evening. First allow me to assure you that you've done nothing to merit disfavor with the Sheriff, nor the Prince. I'm here on personal business; the sort that only we Magisters need concern ourselves with."

A heavy curved sword rested within its scabbard at her side in the style popular among Saracen warriors, the glimmer of a thumb-sized ruby set within the pommel caught the distant firelight as the Canite moved about the room as she spoke. "I've come because there is a matter I believe you can assist me with. I do not expect you to do it for free, of course, but over all your progress of reclaiming Venice in our name within the past year has been most impressive. I'm taking it upon myself to trust you with matters that will further earn you the respect of peers."

Her finger tips slid across the spines of many volumes of lore that would one day be forgotten. "What say you 'cousin'? Can I trust you to keep these matters between us and the shadows herein?"

"In my home the shadows always keep their secrets closest. Please, sit, be comfortable, and speak freely." Dolore spoke with only a hint of her relief. She was due at the Dandolo Estate this evening and would be more than fashionably late if this took more than an hour, but mortals were a dime a dozen even when they were princes, and Magisters were the eternal nobility.

She shooed away the ever-present body servants and guards that had hovered outside the doors on the off chance that their betters would need them. She then settled down into one of the plush chaises that dotted the sitting room and waited for the Scourge of her city to outline exactly what was she needed that fell into Family matters.

A moment later and her sword leaned -within reach- against a comfortable chair that Ravenna had relaxed within. Her thick armor creaked as she crossed her legs while resting her chin within her gloved hand. Every inch of her body was covered in thick black armor with her chest and thighs seeming to be better protected, by hardened leather plates, than other areas.

"It seems the Ventrue overstep their bounds," she quirked her brow and looked to her host as if sharing a personal joke. "Again. One of the Princes has has allowed a ghoul lord of his to extend his holdings as far as Florence. A pompus and foolish man made immortal by our gifts this, Lord Vicante has tread upon the patience of one Cainite too many. He acts as if he is better than us, insults us openly and hides behind a wall of blades that tempts us to break our traditions for the sake of running him through."

She paused for effect. "He has but three weaknesses: tribute, women, and he's a heavy sleeper. We're going to exploit all three. The problem is he's paranoid to a fault for fear of assassination and none can get close to him save his master. Who his master is we do not know, but we're hoping that removing his precious little servant will draw him out of hiding."

A slender grin spread across her alluring mask of unlife. "Your role will be simple. You will go to Florence and meet with him at a particular gala that we're going to a great expense to host for the sake slitting one throat. There you will insult him, publicly or find some way to offend him. Vicante is famous for demanding tribute from anyone who earns his ire, so when he demands such a thing from you -and he will- you will humbly offer up me, one of your servants who has fallen out of favor with you. Its important that he believes me crippled in my right leg, for on that night I shall be. Simply tell him I was beaten as punishment, or whatever else your still heart desires. Embellish."

She raised a hand and gently closed her eyes. "I know, I know. How a fool Vicante could demand such things from us seems a foolish prospect but his arrogance causes him to forget whom his betters are. Attacking him outright would require a siege and man power we can not afford at this time and facing him in the streets of Florence with his constant retinue of guards would quickly become a violation of the Sixth Tradition. We must handle this quietly and discreetly and we've both been asked to swallow some pride in lieu of a greater reward."

Even after two decades of unlife Ravenna still hadn't let go of her mortal habits. Some blamed her unnaturally lively complexion instead of her possessing the pale complexion, unlike most other vampires Ravenna didn't need to exert herself as much when trying to 'act' mortal. It was for this reason that she sighed, despite no longer breathing. "Speaking of rewards, considering the depths you and I must degrade ourselves to to accomplish this task, I will be well rewarded from my Sire, and you will be well rewarded by the Clan. Not only that, but my own personal gratitude for saving much time and irritation by not having to find an alternate way of handling this mess. I need not elaborate on the benefits of having Venice's Scourge owe you a boon. I excel at removing unwanted rivals, I assure you."

The young neonate nodded slowly, "That is feasable, although I will need to know more about the specifics of the gathering and perhaps coordinate the events leading up to your 'exchange' with whomever is hosting the event. It would be out of character for someone to bring an unruly servant that was not also somehow highly prized to such a fete, and them part with them without being forced into by much more dire consequences for refusing. Also, how much of your personal pride are you willing to subsume for the evening? I do not wish to find myself crossing unknown threshold with you in such a delicate situation."

She tapped her finger against her chin in thought, "Is Vicante's command over his borrowed vitae so strong that we cannot send unseen assassins after him? If he has such power, our subterfuge may be easily uncovered by him before we've finished the first act."

"I have the beginnings in mind, I think, of a suitable personae for the evening, if this will work. Are we to go as ourselves or should I take a false name with this farce? I would prefer not to have my reputation or yours placed in jeopardy for the sake of an annoying ghoul, unless it is entirely necessary." Unlike her 'cousin', Dolore breathed only to make the sounds of speech and her skin matched her dress in an unnatural compliment; were she to sit silently she could easily be mistaken for an unusually detailed marble statue.

Originally Posted By: Dolore Nera Colonna
The young neonate nodded slowly, "That is feasable, although I will need to know more about the specifics of the gathering and perhaps coordinate the events leading up to your 'exchange' with whomever is hosting the event. It would be out of character for someone to bring an unruly servant that was not also somehow highly prized to such a fete, and them part with them without being forced into by much more dire consequences for refusing. Also, how much of your personal pride are you willing to subsume for the evening? I do not wish to find myself crossing unknown threshold with you in such a delicate situation."

Ravenna attempted to smile politely, while she had some experience with etiquette her role in Kindred society made it difficult for her to be genuinely polite or thoughtful. It was easy for Dolore to notice that the Scourge was making the best effort she could. "With you acceptance of the task I assure you we'll work out all the details. I loathe surprises as much as you, I'm sure. As for my pride, Dolore, I've wallowed in the muck and stayed awake until noon in a room littered with the suns rays. Rest assured my pride is worth very little when dealing with the affairs of clan business. I'll take very little issue with you playing your role as I play mine."

Quote:
She tapped her finger against her chin in thought, "Is Vicante's command over his borrowed vitae so strong that we cannot send unseen assassins after him? If he has such power, our subterfuge may be easily uncovered by him before we've finished the first act."

"Therein lies our problem, he's paranoid to a fault and incredibly resistant to attempts to dominate his mind. For a mere mortal he's quite impressive in that aspect else we'd have him reduced to a gibbering idiot by now." Ravenna brushed a few loose strands of hair back to clear her view as she spoke. "While his power, even for a ghoul, is considerable I am the unseen assassin. I've studied him enough to know that his acceptance of your 'gift' is almost assured. He delights in having his way with women and then beating and torturing them when he's grown bored. That is why I was selected, my Sire claims I am certainly lovely enough for the task." She smirked. "I've had to take his word for it."

Quote:
"I have the beginnings in mind, I think, of a suitable personae for the evening, if this will work. Are we to go as ourselves or should I take a false name with this farce? I would prefer not to have my reputation or yours placed in jeopardy for the sake of an annoying ghoul, unless it is entirely necessary." Unlike her 'cousin', Dolore breathed only to make the sounds of speech and her skin matched her dress in an unnatural compliment; were she to sit silently she could easily be mistaken for an unusually detailed marble statue.

"Alternate personae is certainly acceptable." She nodded her approval of the idea as she spoke. Dolore was intelligent, and for that she was thankful. Very few had any idea the sorts of individuals, both living and dead, she was forced to associate with at times for the sake of getting the job done. "Rest assured eventually everyone who is anyone will know it was us, the blasted Nosferatu are probably scribing the outcome of this in the annals of Cainite history and it's not even over yet. The part that disturbs me the most is that they're probably right." A familiar smirk passed her lips. "Either way, cousin, we win."

A smirk twisted it's way onto to the lovely dead woman's lips. "I've little concern over Kindred knowing of this particular endeavor, but I do not wish to see mortal political repurcussions or to tip my hand on my more....selective talents."

She looked thoughtful, then nodded sharply and stood. "Yes, I do believe I can help you with this, cousin. Let us reconvene when the fete is more solidly set and we may see to the details of our little passion play with Msr. Vicante the Paranoid and Pompous."

She motioned to the door, "I do need to be going soon, or risk slighting the Dondolo's youngest son. Would you care to accompany me this night? The salon should prove, if nothing else, quite entertaining."

With her sword gripped tightly at the base of the scabbard Ravenna stood with her host and finally raised a hand as she lowered her head with a smirk. "I'm afraid I must decline. I'm hardly dressed for the occasion and the Dondolo's wear on my patience rather swiftly. Ask me sometime about his cousin who passed away three seasons ago, I assure you it was no riding accident." The malice in her expression hinted to quite a story there. "I do appreciate the invitation, however, as well as the hospitality. I'll keep you from your affairs no longer and see my way out."

She offered no farewells, leaving the room with the same determined stride she'd entered with.

• 2 weeks later...

The palace in Florence where this murderous dance of shadows was to take place was lit by thousands of tiny stars kept captive in colored balls of glass and hung to mimic the pristine night sky above. The theme of the evening was, without adornment or obfuscation, the celebration of wealth beyond avarice and power beyond reproach. Every room and garden of the palace complex was showered with rich fabrics, ornaments of precious metals and gems, and the presence of the influential and the immortal.

Guests had begun arriving just after sunset according to their status and importance to the Dux Claudio Campagni, who was hosting the gala in honor of his cousin, Luca Grimbaldi. Luca was currently embroiled in a feud with the Ghibelline's family for control of the city, and the ostentatious show of support from the eccentric and powerful Dux Campagni could shift the current delicate stalemate of politics in favor of the Gelph family and Luca himself.

Or so the mortal world was given to believe.

The rich and powerful that gathered here this even served far more sinister masters than petty politicians, or were themselves curious creatures of midnight bent upon their own machinations. One such knot of malice and duty was travelling under the auspicious name of Baroness Lucrezia de'Rossi of Genova; her small entourage composed of a pair of maidservants, several guards, and a recently acquired exotic slave still being broken to her station.

They had arrived to the palace perhaps slightly too late for the propriety of her station, but the fierce pride and haughty attitude of the noblewoman kept even the announcing herald in the antechamber to the main hall from frowning at her or disparaging her title as he declared her entrance to the grand event.

Once inside, the baroness found that although many eyes were turned to her, it was her 'pet' that was the focus of those curious stares. The beauty was tall and graceful, but limped enough to duck her head below her mistresses as they strolled through the Great Hall, a black-lace bandage on her right leg a silent testament both to the slave's treatment and her mistresses care for her. The slave was dressed as carefully and opulently as her mistress, if in far fewer layers, a adorned braided collar of black leather and red velvet that was clasped to the velvet leash the Baroness had chosen for the evening.

The breathless noblewoman preened under the attention her newest acquisition was garnering for her, answer questions about the slave with intentionally vague and leading answers. She slowly circled the room, showing off her prize and making her way to the dias and the table that had been laid out for the comfort of the most honored host and guests of the event.

She bowed politely and to the exact degree of the difference in their station, motioning her slave to kneel on the floor before the Dux. "My Duc Campagni, as always your gala is most wondrous and honored event. My gratitude for your invitation, and as you requested when we corresponded on the matter, I have brought for your inspection my Black Rose." She ran her hand lightly through the slaves hair, a proud and covetous movement.

Archived