Aberrant: Dead Rising - Chapter 9c: Red Hands

Dawn OOC

Approaching the city from the south on Highway 183, Jasmine and Priest started to turn for the hospital, but there were signs directing them away to the west instead of the east. Turning the wheel, the supers from the Refuge found themselves at a fenced area around a college campus.

Hayes, Kansas was a ghost town; unfortunately, the real horror wasn’t from the phantoms but from the zombies still floating around. The only signs of life came from the fenced-off area around part of the college. Living people could be seen within that area, going about their daily tasks. One woman hung laundry to dry, while a set of kids picked through a box of miscellaneous stuff to salvage items.

As they approached with the campus, people noticed them. A couple of armed men approached the car with wariness, but there was no malice in their stances.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Good afternoon, welcome to St. Magdalen's. If you'll wait just a moment we'll get a patrol out here and open the gates for your vehicles." One of the guards called out from behind the fence; he spoke quietly to the man next to him who then ran off amongst the small maze of fences and buildings. A few minutes later a half a dozen armed men came back out of the maze.

The took up stations around the gate in the fence, their face not unfriendly but still tense and focused. The gate was opened and everyone was ushered into the one of the parking lots inside the 'safe' zone. Several of the men did double-takes as they recognized one or more of the strangers. Once the gate was closed again without incident the men's leader, a tall blonde man that was the epitome of 'corn-fed goodness', smiled and stepped up to the group of supers. "Welcome to St. Magdalen's. We didn't really have a chance for names last time; I'm Caleb."

He held his hand out, waiting to see if this visit would be a bit friendlier than the last one.

Jasmine hopped out of the passenger side of Priest's vehicle, as anxious as almost all of them to get out and stretch their legs. Violet and Dan were in his Humvee behind them, but Jasmine hadn't been comfortable about having Pumpkin around all the guns, and it seemed like a good idea to have two vehicles, just in case something broke down.

A little girl hopped out after her, all blond curls and adorable smiles. Jasmine took the man's hand and shook it, her grip firm but not too much so. She had, after all, learned better control since then. She smiled at him too, and nodded in assent at his comment as the little girl grabbed onto Jasmine's left hand, looking around a little scared at all the new people.

"Nice to meet you - for real, this time. I'm Jasmine, and this little cutie is Pumpkin. I hope you don't mind the visit - we wanted to see how things were going for you guys here. It looks like you've gotten yourself fenced off and protected.. that's good. I hope everything else is going well?"

Dan kills the engine and steps out of the Humvee nodding to Violet. "Doesn't look as bad as last time. Let's hope things go better this time around. I'd like to not be necessary for once." He grabbed his battle Rifle as an afterthought and slung it over his shoulder. It wasn't his only weapon, the Knife in his left boot, a hold out pistol at his right ankle, and both his 9mm at his hips. He looked like a man bred for war, but his face was somewhat warmer. He wasn't quite smiling, but his eyes didn't have that cold dead look they did last time.

When Caleb made his introductions, Dan nodded and shook hands with him after Jasmine. "You guys have done pretty good here since the last time. Everything holding up well?"

He nodded, "We're doing fine, thanks to Gabrielle. She'll want to know your here and that you came to check on us." There was a little defensiveness in his tone, but most of it was drown out in the awe he obviously felt for St. Magdalen's resident super. He grinned down at the little girl, happy memories of his own sisters flicking through his mind. "Well, now, we were just getting ready for lunch. How does pb&j sound to you?"

Pumpkin's eyes got wide and she nodded vigorously, then got a guarded look on her face, "D'ya have strawberry jelly? I don't like grape."

Caleb and several of the other men chuckled, "I'll see what I can do. Follow me, I'll send someone to have Gabrielle meet us in the common room."

True to his word, one man pealed off from the group and jogged ahead of them; when they'd made it the renovated apartment build, and up to the second floor where the student lounge was currently serving as a semi-buffet style lunch room. The communities few children were making the necessary messes under the watchful eyes of a pair of mothers at one of the tables and the other adults were speaking quietly and eying the strangers with curiosity or surprise if they recognized them.

Caleb led them to food table and managed to hunt down a jar of apricot preserves, which while not made of strawberries was declared "close enough" by Pumpkin. The Iowa farm boy made her a sandwich, carefully cut the crust off for her, and led her over to the other children to eat with. She wasn't all that happy about being away from the people she knew, but pb&j sandwiches and other children to play with were pretty good lures.

"Jasmine, Violet!" Gabrielle's voice cut across the room and most of the adult conversation ceased to watch how their leader would greet their newest guests. She smiled warmly and made her way carefully through the room, her snow-white wings brushing tables and people as she threaded herself through the throng. "And Priest, right? And Dan. I'm sorry, we didn't speak much before, so it took a moment to remember your names. How are you doing? Is everything alright at Fox's Refuge?"

She motioned for them to take seats at one of the more open tables, several parishioners hastily removing themselves to other tables to give them room. Gabrielle thanked them, and Caleb too when he brought her over a backless stool for her to use. And then the vast majority of St. Magdalen's population waited to hear what had brought there new guests to their doorstep.

Violet was glad that she could go on this little trip to Gabrielle's enclave. Especially after it was clear that Dan went, too.

Still there was not one word exchanged as Violet sat quietly next to Dan and watched the landscape pass by. Dan didn't try to break the silence and so it was a quiet almost peaceful commute to the enclave.

As soon as they reached the gates Violet put on the hood of her cloak with a little sigh. She had left the 'jedi-robe' at home since she was sick of it. There was no real reason to use that robe now anyway and she was with Dan now - he'd protect her if things went the wrong way.

They were barely entering the building when Gabrielle already greeted them, Violet stayed close to Dan and eyed Gabrielle's wings suspiciously for one moment but then had to smile. Gabrielle was really very much the image of innocence while Violet looked like sin come to live.

Her new robe didn't do much to hide that fact, too. Violet was the embodiment of seduction, lust and sex. With a less prejudiced point of view she could be considered 'healthy' and 'fertile' given the dramatic curves of her body. Her inhuman beauty radiated an untouchable aura for the non-supers and it caused more stir than awe in most cases. Violet didn't care about that anymore - she had gotten used to it and hiding wasn't an option anymore. If you got it, show it

Once they took seat Violet removed the hood of her cloak and gave Gabrielle and her entourage a warm and friendly smile. Gabrielle still made her feel...strange. It was hard to put a finger on it. Probably it was her mind playing tricks on her.

Jasmine sat down gratefully, and as she and the others spoke, she kept a watchful eye on Pumpkin, hoping the girl wouldn't slip up too soon. She'd asked the little girl on the drive here to keep her friends hidden until Jasmine told her it was okay. She'd explained that it was because they were going somewhere where people didn't know about her friends and since they were so different and unique, Jasmine wanted to talk to them first and make sure it was okay for them to be out and around. If it wasn't, Jasmine had promised the little girl that they wouldn't stay there too terribly long.

To Gabrielle, she smiled warmly and motioned to their surroundings first.

"Oh, everything at Fox's Refuge is good - we're all doing pretty well. And it looks like you are, too.. has everything gone smoothly here so far? It certainly seems like you guys are doing okay here."

The angel smiled, "God provides, and for us He has provided well. We're working on getting the entire campus cleared out; so far we've got a few buildings, the power plant, some green area to plant gardens and such in, and some of the steam tunnels. Once we finish with the tunnels, we'll work on getting the plant converted over to wood fuel and have some electricity and hot water." A small cheer went up at the mention of hot baths. "Also we've been raiding the library and that's one of the next building to get cleared and fenced off. Hopefully by winter we'll have enough of the campus reclaimed to be comfortable and safe through the snow and cold. With the Dove, and hopefully some others of the new designs that are being worked on, we should even have some safe transportation to make runs into town with."

The entire room was infused with a sense of pride for the accomplishments that had been made in the past fortnight or so. The people were wearing clean and mended clothes, eating good food, and beginning to enjoy their lives again and it showed in their faces. Soft conversation had started up again, but most attention was still on the table of visitors. As always, Caleb hovered within reach of his angel.

It was always something to truly look at Violet, and He knew that most everyone was doing either that or looking at one of the other supers, even if only discreetly. He nodded to Gabrielle, noting the new wings. "I see there have been some changes. Dan is fine. I'm glad to see things look to be going well."

The Religious words held no effect for him, they hadn't for a long time now. He was already noting the way Gabrielle was regarded in the enclave, how it seemed to border on religious worship. Did we remove one Religious fanatic only to allow another to rise?

He shifted in his seat and nodded. She'll do better, she's one of us. She remebers what fanaticism did here last time.

A smile flickered across Jasmine's face at the sounds of the cheers when Gabrielle mentioned hot baths, and as the young woman detailed the progress she had been making.

"That sounds great. Maybe while we're here we could help you with some things, if you'd like. Anything I could do, anyway, to help you out I'd be more than willing to. I.. I hope your brother is okay? Were you able to.. help him out?"

Jasmine bit her lip a little nervously. She had been pretty sure that everything was okay when she left, but it never hurt to make sure.

"And how is your mother doing? Is she well, too?"

The young woman seemed genuinely interested in all the questions she was asking, but at the same time it seemed like she was dodging the real reason they'd come. So far they hadn't given any reason for traveling all this distance, other than to see how Gabrielle and her group was doing.

Violet casually placed one hand on Dan's and bend a little forward watching Gabrielle speak with great attention while she tried to figure out why that girl had such a strange effect on her. Normally she'd feel not only attracted but almost turned on by someone as beautiful as this Angel. Somehow that didn't happen, instead Gabrielle's innocence and serenity had a soothing effect on the inhumanly beautiful bombshell.

Violet sighed and leaned back again letting go of Dan's hand and giving him a more than friendly smile while her eyes seemed to 'brush' past him until they settled again on Gabrielle. The young girl's effect was breathtaking. Crossing her legs casually while she reclined like a large cat on her chair Violet waited patiently and smiled her best smile. She didn't really trust this situation but maybe she had gotten too paranoid lately. This community had as much right to prosper as any other that did not seek to destroy humankind - or what was left of it.

"This place looks good. Do you have a list of things from the outside you may want? I'll stop crusading soon and get back to the business of scavenging and trade. Also, are you producing anything yet. Hell, I would be happy to move a few missionaries around and bring you some other survivors."

Priest bites his lower lip before moving on from his normal speil.

"Have you met Pumpkin? She's quite a kid. Survived alone in Dallas all these months. She's special like us, Gabrielle. She creates 'magical' friends that protector her. I think she's very special. I also think she's a handful."

He let that last statement hanging in the air, hoping Gabby would figure their mission out.

Jasmine cringed ever so slightly. She had intended on asking the other woman in private - with some of her advisers or friends perhaps, but not necessarily under the scrutiny of the whole refuge. The cat was out of the bag now though, and she bit her lower lip together nervously for a moment in an unconscious mirror of Priest's expression, while fidgeting with her fingertips self-consciously.

"I don't think she has, Caleb had already led her off for a sandwich by the time Gabrielle got her. She's right over there with the other children.. if you'd like, I can call her over, and you could meet her. She.. needs a good home. We're trying to figure out what's best for her."

She wondered if it seemed as rude as it felt, to just show up and ask for the other young woman's help after everything that had happened before.

"They're doing fine. Mother is starting a crafts circle with some of the women, so hopefully we'll have some needed goods for ourselves and for trade soon."

Gabrielle arched a brow at Priest, then smiled in understanding and nodded. She glanced over at the children's table and called out, "Pumpkin, could you come over here, please?"

The little girl looked around and scooped up the last half of her second sandwich before nodding and making her way over. She stood as near as she could to both Jasmnie and Priest, her discomfort at so many eyes on her apparent in her sudden lack of appetite. Gabrielle smiled at the girl, "Hello Pumpkin; my name is Gabrielle. Priest tells me that you have some special gifts." She glanced back up at the scavenger, then back to Pumpkin. "Some friends he said, could I meet them?"

"Oh, yes!" Pumpkin said, her good mood restored at the promise of getting to show off some friends. "I'll bring out a new one!" As Jas and Priest considered the level of calamity that statement might signify, Pumpkin showed how back it could be. Grinning, she created a nightmare.

Hell_Hound_by_peacefulchaos.jpg

Giggling, Pumpkin threw her arms around the evil-looking creature, as proud as could be.

For several seconds the room erupted into chaos as several children and adults screamed and scrambled to put as much distance between themselves and the creature that had appeared in their midst. Caleb nearly dove to put himself between Pumpkin's pet and Gabrielle, but the angel girl buffeted him back with a wing and a stern look. She'd obviously been startled by the fierce-looking manifestation but she recovered quickly. She approached the child and the 'pet' carefully, kneeling down in front of them.

Hesitantly she asked, "Can I pet...err...does your friend have a name?" She flicked her eyes back up to Caleb, then back to Pumpkin as she asked another question. "Have your friends been the ones protecting you? Do you control them?"

Priest extended his threat sense over Gabrielle as she closed with the beast, ready to warn her at a moments notice. It would go horribly wrong for Pumpkin if something went wrong at this juncture. No matter how well Gabrielle recovered, no one in the compound would ever trust her again and Pumpkin would sense that unease. All he could do now was pray ... to whomever.

Dan watched, knowing what the young girl could do, but not having ever seen it. "Impressive." He watched all the regular people recoil but he just sat their calm and impassive, not even reaching for a gun.

"Must be under the impression the zombies feel fear as well, though that long alone..." He left unsaid the rest of that line of thought, as older feelings stirred within him.

"Looks kindal like a wolf, just a hungry one."

Jasmine flinched slightly, a grimace that resembled a cross between embarrassment and horror on her face. Her eyes flickered nervously between Gabrielle and Pumpkin. She was at once reassured by the blond woman's reaction to the young child's horrific-looking companion, and devastated that Pumpkin had chosen such a hellish creature for her first presentation.

Well.. there goes that. Even if Gabrielle is okay with it.. I can imagine it won't terrify the rest of these people. At least, if they're anywhere near as religious as we estimate they are. Couldn't she have brought out the little dragon?

She watched the scene unfold between Gabrielle and Pumpkin, tensing slightly with alertness. Her main concern wasn't the creature becoming aggressive for no reason - it was that someone would become aggressive towards it first, or towards the little girl. She knew that the creatures were Pumpkin's protection, and if the little girl felt threatened, she didn't know what would happen for sure.

Violet stood up startled by the sudden apparition of a mini demon - or so it seemed to her. Even though adorable Pumpkin looked as sweet and happy as ever as she hugged her new 'friend' Violet couldn't really appreciate that. It scared her and the sudden panic in the room did the rest to keep her weary and tensed.

After she gave Dan a short nod she went over to where the other people had gathered in fear. Taking advantage of her flowing robe she tried to shield the eyes of the smaller kids from the 'beast' while she spoke in a calm voice.

"Nothing is going to happen to you, trust me. It is completely harmless, it just looks 'unusual'.", Violet tried to avoid words that could just cause more panic. Her eyes searched for the most scared person and then she carefully reduced that panic to mere discomfort until she completely dulled it.

Violet nervously looked back searching Dan's eyes. He could tell that she was hoping things wouldn't get worse.

"He's Bob, and he's mean, but he likes who I say to like," she said to Gabrielle. She leaned into the fearsome beast trustingly, in a maneuver that made several of Gabrielle's people shudder nervously.

"Don't control him," she added, nuzzling into the creature's neck. "He's my friend."

Gabrielle held her hand out to 'Bob' for him to sniff, hoping the creature was doglike enough to understand the gesture. "Pumpkin," she said softly, "Bob is a little frightening to most of the other people. Are their other friends you have that you could show us?"

She leaned in and spoke to the child in a conspiratorial whisper. "It's fun, to be different and be able to do amazing things, isn't it? But sometimes those amazing things can frighten others, so you have to be careful. I think Jasmine and Priest would like it if you stayed here for a while, to see if you liked it here." She smiled encouraging at the little girl, hoping she would get through to her, "But for that to work we all will need to learn how to get along with each other and not frighten one another even with just our amazing things. Would you like that? To have a home here for a while at least and get to know the people here?"

Pumpkin scowled slightly, and nuzzled in a little closer to the red beast at first. She looked almost distrustfully at Gabrielle, and then back at Jasmine and Priest, then turned back to the beautiful blond woman standing in front of her.

"But.. I don't know you. Why can't I stay with Jasmine and Priest? They're nice people, they helped me and my friends."

Jasmine's skin flushed slightly, her cheeks taking on a dusky rose color and a look of guilt creeping over her face. She glanced at Priest to see his reaction, then back at Gabrielle and Pumpkin.

God, why didn't I realize that was going to happen - we found her, we've been taking care of her, of course she's gonna get attached to us!

A mixture of emotions flickered across Jasmine's face, before they settled into a resolute expression. She stepped forward and knelt down next to the little girl.

"Pumpkin, sweetie.. since you got to spend a couple days at the other refuge, why don't we stay here for a couple days and see what you think? I promise.. wherever you stay, I'll stay with you, if that's what you want. I might have to go on trips sometimes, in order to help people the way I helped you. But if you want me to stay with you.. I will. But in the meantime.. maybe Gabrielle would like to see your little silver flying snake? It was awfully cute."

She swallowed nervously, and waited for the little girl's response.

Dan waits calmly, his eyes flicking around the room, primarily between each of the supers, guaging their reactions. He looks to Violet and nods as she tries to soothe the regular people around her. It was odd but he trusted the little girl to do what she felt was right.

As for Jasmine staying there, clearly things hadn't really been planned out that way.

Pumpkin scowled and looked to be on the edge of a temper tantaum, but instead she burst into tears. "I don't wanna be left behind!" she wailed, reminding everyone that she was only six, and had already lost one family.

Jasmine's expression wilted into one of complete devastation. She'd never intended to hurt the little girl, and had only been trying to do what she'd thought was best for her. That the little blond-haired child had already captured her heart was obvious to anyone around her, though Jasmine herself seemed oblivious to the fact. She only knew that she'd failed Pumpkin somehow, and that the little girl's cries were heartbreaking. Still kneeling next to her, she pulled Pumpkin gently away from the fierce red creature and into what she hoped was a comforting hug, stroking the little girl's hair and shushing her as soothingly as possible, trying to quiet her sobs.

"Shhh... shh, it's okay, sweetie. No one wants to leave you anywhere.. we just want to find the very best place for you to grow up. Somewhere where you don't have to worry about any monsters, and where you and your friends can be safe, and where people won't be afraid." The last part was said with a faintness to it, as though she hadn't mean to voice that part of her concerns. "Where you stay, I stay, if that's what you want. I promise. Don't cry baby.. shhh.. don't cry, please Pumpkin. I'm not gonna leave you."

Jasmine's lower lip trembled slightly, but she bit it, trying to hide her emotions so that she could deal with the ones of the child in her arms instead. It was the responsible thing to do, after all - she could always cry about it later if she had to, where she wouldn't upset Pumpkin.

That's what her mother had always managed to do, after all. She'd seen her once, after the doctors had given them the news that her cancer had come out of remission. She'd been so brave, smiling at the doctors then and at Jasmine, as if it were nothing. "We beat it once, we'll beat it again, won't we baby? That cancer won't know what hit it this time. We'll give it a good ol' stompin." But that night, when they had been at home and the kids were supposed to have been asleep long ago, she'd caught her mother weeping. They were wracking sobs, ones she'd never heard before out of the woman who'd been such a pillar of strength Jasmine's entire life. She'd been scared then - if her mother was crying, then maybe she wouldn't beat the cancer after all. But any time Jasmine had been tempted to give up, she'd remembered her mother, curled up with a pillow, her father with his eyes closed, stroking his wife's back gently as she wept her heart out over her little girl. And she'd kept going. If her mother could be strong in front of her.. it was the least she could do.

Now.. it looked like it was Jasmine's turn. If she was lucky, maybe her mother was still alive, and would get to see it someday.

At Pumpkin's outburst Dan stood up and walked over to her. He crouched down looking into her eyes even as Jasmine hugged her.

"You are free to stay where ever you want. I'll make sure of that."

He reached out and gave Jasmine's shoulder a reassuring squeeze, and looks to Priest, obviously solliciting his opinion.

Gabrielle let Pumpkin cry in Jasmine's arms for a moment, then interjected quietly, "Pumpkin? I don't think Jasmine or Preist were trying to abandon you, but they move around quite a bit and that can be dangerous, especially for you. We've got a home here, and an open door for visitors and those that don't want to settle down yet. You could stay here, have all of us here to get to know and to help take care of you, and still see Jasmine and the others when they're here."

She glanced up and stifled a sigh at the frightened and skeptical looks many in her flock were giving the strange girl and her 'friend'. This wasn't going to be easy if it was going to work, but there was a reason the community had taken the name of the patron saint of penitents. A little louder she said, "This is a place for people to find and build homes and families, a safe place to make friends and grow up in. How about you all stay here for a while and see if you like it here?"

At that last she glanced between the others at the table to see if they were in agreement with extending their visit somewhat.

As Pumpkin cried harder, the red monster disappeared. Oddly, Pumpkin had to have done it, but she cried all the harder when it vanished.

Yet when the beautiful winged woman spoke to her, even the distraught child had to listen. "Will Jasmine and Priest stay? If I stay?"

As Jasmine and Priest gave their answer, Emma leaned over. "Perhaps if we put her with one family here, fully incorporate her into a home, she might bond to them, and that would free Mr. Priest and Ms... Jasmine up to travel." She smiled, and if she was afraid of the child, she wasn't showing it.

Violet had kept a watchful eye on the other kids and scared people prepared to interfere in extreme cases. Someone who panicked could easily 'infect' the others with that hysteria. She was sure that wouldn't be a good thing.

As the situation seemed to calm down a bit Violet couldn't stop thinking about how unreal this was. Gabrielle not only looked like an Angel, she felt like an Angel and that thought was scarier than someone pretending to be. Strangely looking at Gabrielle, as soothing it was didn't inspire a religious bone in Violet. Maybe it was Hoffany's fault or the books she just recently read.

Violet respected christian belief and she was glad people found something in faith that kept them going on in this sad world - it just wasn't her thing and most likely never would be.

The inhuman beauty turned around and resumed her place next to Dan watching the drama unfolding around Pumpkin and the others. She felt pity for the little girl but it didn't seem the right moment to tell Jas that they agreed to take the child. If Jas' home was right next door Pumpkin would have someone close to her whom she had bonded with already.

Violet's eyes searched for Jasmine's trying to get her attention.

Jasmine was too distracted by the little girl to notice Violet's eyes searching for hers. Her attention was focused exclusively on Pumpkin, and she ran her fingers through Pumpkin's blonde curls as Gabrielle spoke. Then she tilted her chin up gently to look into Jasmine's eyes and gazed at the little girl, her face looking gentle.

"Pumpkin, honey.. listen to me for a second. No matter where we're staying - whether it's here or back where we were before, at the refuge, Priest and I have to go on a trip soon. I have to go find out what happened to the rest of my family. My Daddy died honey, just like yours.. and I don't know what happened to the rest of my family, or if they're okay. But I am not going to be gone long, and I'm not going to be leaving right away. So no matter where we choose to stay, I'm gonna have to go away for a few days. But then.. I'm gonna come back, and I'm gonna stay with you, okay baby?"

Pumpkin shook her head, nearly hiccuping. "Daddy- went away- for a- couple- of days- and he- never came back!" she sobbed, throwing her arms around tighter around Jasmine. With the source of her clinginess revealed, it was even harder on the adults to watch her cry and beg. Like everyone else, she had lost so much, but unlike many adults, she didn't have the emotional maturity to handle it.

Jasmine squeezed her eyes shut, and this time instead of just hugging the little girl, she pulled her close again and picked her up, letting the little girl hold on as tight as she needed to. She held her until the crying calmed down a little, and then leaned down and whispered softly in the little girl's ear, too quietly for anyone else to hear.

Click to reveal.. (Pumpkin or Enhanced Hearing Activated only)
"When all the monsters came, and you were able to start creating your friends to help protect you, it made you special.. different. But something special happened to me too. No matter what happens, almost nothing hurts me anymore. And that is the only thing that would stop me from coming back to you. I promise. I wish your Daddy had been special like us, just like I wish mine had. But I'm different.. it takes an awfully lot to hurt me. I can take care of myself, and you too. Do you believe me?"

Sniffling, Pumpkin finally nodded. Her expression was still miserable, and anyone who knew kids knew that she was just accepting something she believed she couldn't change. Listlessly, she reached out and held out her hand. On it, a silver snake with wings appeared, its tail coiling around her wrist. After a moment, the hood snapped open, as the silver, winged cobra stared at all the people staring at it.

Violet smiled warmly at Pumpkin and the little flying snake. The kid sure had a lively fantasy. Her eyes still searched Jasmine's and it was clear she wanted to have a talk with her. Raising an eyebrow expectantly at her Violet waited for Jas to catch the hint and move outside with her or someone private where they could talk for a minute.

Dan, mindful of Violet's gaze and of the small winged cobra went back to Pumpkin and knelt down. "Looks like your little friend can Fly, but I don't think he can carry you aloft. Would you like for me to take you flying? He could fly along with us. We won't go far, but it will give everyone a moment to calm down some."

Jasmine smiled encouragingly at the little girl, still holding her balanced on her hip, with her arms around the little girl's waist.

"Ooo, Pumpkin, that sounds like a good idea. Dan's a friend of mine, and flying with him is very safe - I've done it before too, it's lots of fun. Would you like to try? I'll be here when you get back, I promise."

Pumpkin looked at her sadly, then nodded. Jasmine sighed a little at the little girl's lack of enthusiasm, but leaned down and kissed the little girl's cheek. Then she sat her down and let Dan lead her off. Violet finally managed to catch her attention, and she ran a hand through her hair with a little sigh, turning back to Gabrielle after Pumpkin and Dan had left the room.

"I'm.. sorry about all of this. That didn't exactly go how I had planned, I'd wanted to talk to you about it in private, really. I hope you don't mind, I think I need a minute."

Gabrielle nodded slightly, looking sympathetically at Jasmine.

"Of course, take all the time you need."

Jasmine turned around, looking a bit weary, and caught Violet's gaze to let her know that she was willing to talk. She headed outside then, closing her eyes and letting the sun warm her face as she waited for Violet to join her. Jasmine had a feeling whatever the other woman had to say - since it didn't seem to be able to wait - probably wasn't going to make her feel any better about the situation. But it was probably better to get the conversation over with now.

Violet placed her hands gently on Jasmine's shoulders and gave her a light massage hoping to drive out some of the tension the young woman was feeling.

After a short moment she leaned closer, hands still on Jas' shoulders her voice just barely above a whisper.

"Listen, honey, we've decided to take Pumpkin. I think it's the best solution for her and I tell you what's even better. Since you're staying at my place Pumpkin can stay with you and we take care of her during your absence. That way the whole family can watch after her. I don't think it's a good idea to leave her here. Gabrielle has already all hands full with this community and I must confess this is as much a religious place as it was under Elijah's rule. All we can hope for is that Gabrielle's heart is as pure as her appearance. Pumpkin wouldn't have much of a choice than believing in Gabrielle - I don't think that's a good idea... I don't really trust this place."

Click to reveal..

For a moment Jasmine relaxed slightly under the other woman's touch, and she sighed, letting some of the tension ease from her shoulders. But as Violet felt her begin to speak, she felt the muscles under her hands tense as Jasmine slowly went rigid at Violet's words.

Click to reveal..
Rolling for WP against Violet: 4d10 → [4,8,8,6] = (26)/2 suxx (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2156464/)

After Violet finished speaking, Jasmine was quiet for a long moment. Finally, she turned around and looked at the other woman, her gaze searching Violet's eyes. Then she shook her head, just once, but firmly.

"No. I'm sorry, Violet. I should never have mentioned this to you - or anyone - without thinking the matter through, and spending more time with Pumpkin to figure out what she needs. No matter what you say, I don't trust Fox any more than I trust Gabrielle. She may be religious - but at least she's humble. At least here they seem grateful, instead of resentful. And that's because of the way she treats people, as opposed to the way Fox does. We haven't even been here a half an hour - any decision you've made about Gabrielle or her people is instinctive, Violet. I've made up my mind. The best place for Pumpkin is with me. And I'll have to figure it out from there. Maybe the best place for us.. is between places. Because I don't know that I belong either place. And that's just.. all there is to it. I'm sorry. I don't know Gabrielle.. and I don't trust Morgan Fox. He acts like he's always right - and if you don't like his way, then you can get the hell out. That might be a way to run a military.. but it's not the way you run a refuge camp. He's gonna end up with his head on a spike one day if he doesn't adjust his attitude. Not everybody likes being told what to do, and none of those people, except some some of us supers, have any more appealing options. So they're trapped there, no matter what he says.. so they have to follow his rules, whether they like them or not. And that could get.. ugly. I'm afraid of what's going to happen there, Violet. I really am. Aren't you?"

She searched the other woman's eyes imploringly, hoping that she'd made herself clear. It didn't have anything to do with Violet.. it had everything to do with the refuge, and the constant tension she felt while she was there, like you could cut through it with a knife.

Jasmine could tell that something she just said actually hurt Violet. She knew it wasn't Jasmine's intention but she had hoped that Jasmine would stay at her place - the idea of having her around gave her a good feeling and she didn't want to lose that.

With heartbroken eyes Violet nodded but had to object to what Jasmine said, "Jas... I think you're doing him wrong. The Captain is not an evil man and we had one meeting where we discussed how the refuge should be run in the future - unfortunately James couldn't keep his mouth shut and the whole discussion went south as people were talking only about us again. Don't draw too early conclusions - Jules is having a good influence on him and I know she loves him and he feels the same, they're just not ready to admit it themselves. And you - you gave me something, too. You helped me getting more respect among the community there - I don't want you to leave, Jas. Please don't go... if not for Fox, then for my sake." I'm sorry to do this..., Violet's voice was heartbroken but she tried to not sound as hurt as she was. With just a short impulse of her powers she lent it an even more persuasive tone.

Click to reveal..
Another Manipulation+Subterfuge roll, th...0d10.hits(7)=4) For a total of 6 Suxx to convince Jas staying at Violets, WP: 5/6, QP: 25/26

The other woman saw Jasmine's inner struggle, but under the persuasiveness of Violet's abilities, Jasmine didn't stand a chance. The previous firm, assertive expression on her face wilted into one of reluctant acquiescence with a sigh. It was as if for a moment Violet had seen a glimpse of Jasmine the woman, and now she had shifted back to Jasmine the teenager again.

"Alright, Violet. I'll - no, we'll.. stay there. I never meant that I thought the Captain was an evil man. I just think he's an arrogant, foolish one. I'm not drawing any earlier of a conclusion about him than you are about the people here. And there's just no room for arrogance or foolishness in our world anymore. Whether he loves Jules isn't going to have anything to do with it. It's gonna take a lot of work to keep people's respect around there, I hope you realize that. But if you want us to stay.. we will. But.. I don't want to go back just yet, okay? I want to stay here for a few days. We already asked Gabrielle if we could, it would be rude to leave now - especially after I offered my help. These people need help - they don't have any Fox, or James, or Dan, like the refuge. And.. I want to help them."

Archived