Mutants & Masterminds: Legacy - Legacy OOC

Joani

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

alright - I missed on an important detail, that I had put up in a spoiler but somehow didn't make it to the update.

Once you guys enter the Mainchamber down the stairs and face the demon, you'll find yourselves back in your original bodies. At some short disorientation of course just for RP-purposes.

This exclude CC - you're still captured inside the Demons body. And Hype will transform back into Hype (no bodyswitching in a literal sense).

Sorry for this confusion - some of it was intentional, though wink

Everyone is currently under Mindcontrol. The power works in a way that you are not aware of it and you won't remember after the power ceases to affect you. Please don't blame Watchwoman for the 20 I rolled...

I try to keep this as short as possible or until WW tells me she changes her action/drops the power. Alternatively can compromise of course and you can keep partial control of your PCs (which I would prefer), all you need to do is follow WWs order to attack which affects everyone but Djane and Echo. Djane and Echo have been ordered to open the Pillars and rescue the victims inside.

Is everyone (including Watchwoman) ok by moving on in a way that you keep control of your PCs as long as your actions focus on attacking the approaching Demonwarrior Horde (with exception of Djane and Echo, obviously)? Objections? No? Good! Proceed.

Er

Joani...I think there's confusion about how the save DCs of powers work, as well as how to calculate the effects of powers. I'll use two examples from the latest update.

1) Mind Control. The DC of Mind Control is a function of its rank, not its roll. In fact, there is no roll needed if Mind Control operates by Perception. Otherwise the controller rolls to hit as normal for a ranged power. If the power hits, then the target rolls a Will save at a DC equal to (10+ power rank). This is deliberate, as it avoids specifically the kind of crazy-high DC's that you've arrived at in the post.

2) Corrosion. This power requires the target to make two saving throws on a successful hit. The first is a Fort save to avoid the Toughness drain. If that fails, the target loses Toughness equal to the rank of the power. It then makes a Toughness save against damage at a bonus equal to the rank of the power. So, for example:

Rank 8 Corrosion hits a concrete wall with Toughness 10. The wall makes a DC 18 fort save and fails. It loses 8 Toughness (remaining bonus of +2 from its original value of +10). It then makes a toughness save against damage DC 23 (15+ the power rank of 8, as usual for any damaging power). The effects of the corrosion on the wall stem from the wall's toughness save, as shown in the book under the section on damaging objects.

Originally Posted By: SalmonMax
Er

Joani...I think there's confusion about how the save DCs of powers work, as well as how to calculate the effects of powers. I'll use two examples from the latest update.

1) Mind Control. The DC of Mind Control is a function of its rank, not its roll. In fact, there is no roll needed if Mind Control operates by Perception. Otherwise the controller rolls to hit as normal for a ranged power. If the power hits, then the target rolls a Will save at a DC equal to (10+ power rank). This is deliberate, as it avoids specifically the kind of crazy-high DC's that you've arrived at in the post.

I was wondering about that too. I most likely read it wrong but for me the core book described under the power's effect that it was an opposed Check. Power Check vs. Will Save. Now if that was meant to be a to-hit roll then it's my bad, but I couldn't read that it was handled differently.

Originally Posted By: SalmonMax

2) Corrosion. This power requires the target to make two saving throws on a successful hit. The first is a Fort save to avoid the Toughness drain. If that fails, the target loses Toughness equal to the rank of the power. It then makes a Toughness save against damage at a bonus equal to the rank of the power. So, for example:

Rank 8 Corrosion hits a concrete wall with Toughness 10. The wall makes a DC 18 fort save and fails. It loses 8 Toughness (remaining bonus of +2 from its original value of +10). It then makes a toughness save against damage DC 23 (15+ the power rank of 8, as usual for any damaging power). The effects of the corrosion on the wall stem from the wall's toughness save, as shown in the book under the section on damaging objects.

I'll fix that of course ASAP. Thanks for the clarification and examples.

About the MC - I have to make a few Saving throws to see how successful WW was. DC 22 is of course easier to break than DC 32. I still find it confusing that the Corebook states something about an opposed check but I guess I read it wrong. Thanks again for pointing out my mistakes. I'll fix it. Regardless of the saves my "offer" above still stands for those affected by the MC.

My original post has been edited and reflects the results of the saves accordingly. Smax - you're up and free to act since you passed your Save. I deleted the part about the corrosion power vs. the Pillar since that happened assuming Echo was under the effect of WW's MC.

Here is the post in which Max eats a generous helping of crow.

Joani, I went and reread the Mind Control description. I read the errata, and I read Ultimate Power. You were entirely correct in your interpretation of the power, and I was completely wrong. I apologize heartily for my presumption. It seems Mind Control does indeed work differently than just about every single other power, in that it is a contested roll between Mind Control rank and Will save bonus.

I find this startling...but it is the rules.

Again, my apologies for being sufficiently asinine as to assume otherwise before I actually looked to find out.

The corrosion part was still right though. smile

Ohhh kay...

I have to ask you guys to not post until I've restored the original post of mine (which I unfortunately didn't save).

As for reading how the rules work. I appreciate any help since I'm not a native speaker and my interpret things differently. I'm kinda "glad" I did read that part right though since otherwise I would've questioned my general understanding of the language and even the rules of M&M. I didn't go as far as reading any errata - I just took the core book and did what stood there.

So no need to apologize, Smax. I suppose we all learned from this.

TK - I'm sorry to ask you to revisit your post. It took me a while to go through all the options and possibilities to "measure" how much force would be needed to make the entrance cave in. I was facing several problems at once.

The Ziggurat you are in is roughly the size of a Pyramid. You are several hundred feet in the "bowels" of the structure. Even with your formidable kinetic powers you couldn't possible move the structure enough to make the entrance cave in... and if you did the consequences would be dire because not only the entrance would cave in, the room you guys are standing in most probably, too. That would certainly end in all your deaths (which I'm sure isn't part of TKs plan).

So I kindly have to ask you to reconsider your action and make a more "normal" attack. I'm fine if you want to make a "Darth Vader" action like in TESB vs. Luke by making lose stones etc. assault the Demons like small projectile's that's something I could work with instead of trying that cave-in maneuver. I hope that's ok for you. Just let me know what it should be.

Just to clarify: The pillar Echo was dissolving isn't destroyed yet. You really want her to stop? smile

Related note: As I understand the description of the power, Echo will experience a fugue, where her last memory was of herself immediately before the MC took over, and now she finds herself standing next to a pillar, midway through the act of dissolving it.

Is that accurate?

The pillar will be done by then - your nanobots would be through on your Initiative turn which would be next if we were still in combat.

The MC-fugue thing is so far right. You don't recall the time of the actual MC so your last memory should be right before it started.

I will give you guys some time to post before I update and move you to the next room.

Sorry for the delay but I decided to spent the day out of house and didn't have time to follow up with the update. I'm in preparation of the next chapter but after reading through the last issue I realized that there are still things left open which should be addressed before I move things on. The "Asteroid" needs to be taken care of because it is still heading towards earth. I suppose that won't prove that much of a challenge for you guys, though. The most important part - the resuce mission - has been accomplished successfully.

We can freeform RP this if you prefer just to keep things flowing smoothly as long as you keep things within reasonable frame. Check back with me if you want to do something "unusual".

Issue 2 has been concluded. PP/HP rewards can be found here: PP/HP Tracker

I will add some stuff in the rules section which will be immediately in effect. If you've been wondering why the HPs has been reset. I read/heard that's common to do between chapters. I also want to encourage you to make more use of HPs wink. I will be rewarding your audacity laugh

I will add an Interlude ASAP - depending on it's outcome the next Issue will start. There will be some downtime which can be used to spent your PPs on. I hope you guys are enjoying yourselves so far and if you have any suggestions/feedback please add them here or PM me. Thank you!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello guys - I've been extremely busy at work and had no access to the net (systems upgrades and too many people around to savely access the site). At home I was simply too tired to do any creative work.

Currently I'm on vacation (finally) and I will relax a little before I pick up things again. Probably some time this weekend or starting next monday. I'm really sorry for not being around the last week but I simply couldn't.

I'm not gone, just taking a few days off.

Archived