Aberrant: Dead Rising - Pumpkin Patch - Discussions [Complete]

Courier

(This takes place after Jas leaves James,Violet,JoAnna & Jill in "Pumpkin Patch".)

The door closed behind Jasmine with James' parting shot going unanswered. James "looked" around the table, tried to gauge how everyone felt, and once again mentally cursed his lack of eye sight. Maybe half of human interaction was in the facial expressions. He decided to think about this for a moment and let someone else open the discussion. Violet picked a whirl of conflicting emotions from James.

Jill had been silent during Jasmine's discussion, not deeply caring but afraid to open up and/or lost in thought. The dominate emotional tone Violet caught from her was 'grief'.

JoAnna's emotion's were similar to James but less intense. She could go either way on this.

"I'm sorry to have dominated this discussion but I have to draw a line somewhere. Was that wrong?", she looked at the sisters and then at James, although he couldn't see. James somehow managed to give her the impression that he was not completely blind. The thought was comforting for her.

James said slowly, "We might..."

Jill shut her eyes and slapped her hand on the table. Jo reached over, squeezed her sister's shoulder and said, "We, you, don't have to do this. You could just say 'no' and walk away."

Jill said, "No! No... I can't. This girl. He'd, she'd be the same age as Jack if he'd lived." Jill looked up at James and asked grimly, "How many did we leave?"

Somewhat taken aback, James paused and rubbed his fingers together. For a moment he faced a very dark past then James answered, "Kids? Probably thousands. Ten's of thousands. But I think we only actually saw... maybe a dozen or two."

"I had no idea...", Violet apologized. "I'm sorry to hear that.", she looked at James and the sisters and suddenly felt very guilty for being so selfish about Pumpkin.

"All I wanted is to make clear that things would be on our conditions if we took her and not under some 'artificial' authority who is out to bust our asses the first second something 'odd' happens. I was trying to protect us.", she hoped they understood her intentions.

James said to Violet, "You did right. This isn't an easy one. A kid with powers?" *Not my blood... but other than that this is the future for us.*

Jo sighed, she was going to have to pick at some emotional scabs here, "There's some history here. Jill's partner, before Z day, had children and the oldest would be Pumpkin's age. They..." Jo searched for the least painful way to put it and settled on, "...didn't make it."

James put in, "All three of us came out of Fort Worth, think of it as downtown Dallas. In the early days a lot of people just got stuck there."

James continued, "And all of that is history. A kid needs a home, she has some issues, the questions are, are we willing? Able? And what happens to the kid if we're not? I think... I think we're past the point where we can walk away and let her die or join some scummy doomsday cult."

"That's why I asked to go there and see for myself, James. I already said 'yes' assuming you guys are ok with it and there is no one else left who'd be willing to take the responsibility. People will hate me, no matter what.", she shrugged and moved closer to Jill trying to give her some comfort.

When she stood next to her she quietly whispered to her, "I'm so sorry, honey. You never told me..."

Originally Posted By: Violet
"That's why I asked to go there and see for myself, James. I already said 'yes' assuming you guys are ok with it and there is no one else left who'd be willing to take the responsibility. People will hate me, no matter what.", she shrugged and moved closer to Jill trying to give her some comfort.
James waved a hand at the world in irritation and said, "That's not true V. People is a far too broad a statement. Some will accept you eventually, they'll become friends when they find you're a person and not a concept." *And some never will, and a select few I'll have to kill.* "We should probably start going to church, just for the social stuff if nothing else."

Originally Posted By: Violet
When she stood next to her she quietly whispered to her, "I'm so sorry, honey. You never told me..."
Jill put an arm around V's waist and whispered back rawly, "Everyone lost everyone. That doesn't make me special." *It still hurts to remember*

Unwilling to pursue those memories further, Jill tapped on the table and said, "We're getting off topic. I think we should say we're willing to take her. None of this 'if there's no one else' nonsense. Either we're willing to or we're not. If she's actively dangerous... we'll deal with that if it happens." *Like we should have the first time around. Jack died because we were weak. We refused to face reality.*

Jill and Jo exchanged a glance and Jo nodded and said, "Agreed."

James said, "Well, ok then. We have an answer."

"James, the only ones so far who 'accept' me are the other supers. All the normal folks either stare at me or loathe my presence. Some lust after me but they'd never admit that when asked aside from the obvious 'everyone likes to fuck her' statement. But tell you what, I'm starting to not care about that anymore. I am who I am.", no regrets.

Violet kept Jill close to her and chose not to answer, they'd talk about that later - if she wanted.

Originally Posted By: Courier

Unwilling to pursue those memories further, Jill tapped on the table and said, "We're getting off topic. I think we should say we're willing to take her. None of this 'if there's no one else' nonsense. Either we're willing to or we're not. If she's actively dangerous... we'll deal with that if it happens." *Like we should have the first time around. Jack died because we were weak. We refused to face reality.*

Jill and Jo exchanged a glance and Jo nodded and said, "Agreed."

James said, "Well, ok then. We have an answer."

"Agreed", Violet added - they were family after all.

Archived