Aberrant: Dead Rising - A New Home

Nuri Solomon

The refuge was a strange place. One part military base and one part refugee camp, it seemed to run solely on the threat of getting turfed out if you didn’t follow Morgan Fox’s rules. After a full day in the refuge she still wasn’t sure exactly what those rules were.

Nuri spent the day walking the fenced in compound, familiarizing herself with the grounds, the tent city (which seemed to consist of every type of camping habitat under the sun), the military outbuildings and the new structures recently built. Still being wary, she dressed again his her ‘disguise’ as she wandered about. The disparity between the numbers of men and women was alarming and most of the women seemed to either travel in groups or stick close to their men. Nuri was glad for the limited protection her disguise offered.

As she came back to her beat up pickup she knew she had choice to make. Stay, or go. If she left she’d be on her own again. So far that hadn’t gone too badly; picking through the leftovers of society and trading them to people like those here or Crichton and his crew. The up side is that the zoms were the only real regular threat to her and she had her ways of dealing with them, the downside was that it was lonely. And what happened when there was no more gas? Or there were problems with the truck she couldn’t fix herself? Or any number of other things she couldn’t think of right now?

Staying solved some problems but others arose. Could she really trust these people? In this world could she ever trust men again? Still, having a stable place live and not having to worry about waking up to a zombie horde was a comforting thought. Interacting with other people and not needing guns just to say hello was another compelling reason. She sat on the back of her truck contemplating her options for a while. Finally she made her choice. After months of living out of a truck and scrounging for even her basic needs, the thought of have a home again overrode any of her other concerns. Jumping off her truck, Nuri rummaged around in her trailer for a few minutes before pulling out a medium sized Rubbermaid storage bin. With bin in tow she went looking for the woman, Julie or Jules, who seemed to be the refuge’s quartermaster.

Jules was feeling pretty good. Ever since having her special 'surgery' she had been feeling more confident and less upset, in general. Today, she even dared to wear a sleeveless shirt, which allowed a few scars on her shoulders to be visible. She was also wearing a sarong skirt that she'd gotten in trade for some of her unneeded supplies. That status was only due to Morgan, whose generosity had allowed her to ascend to a higher standard of living. She'd committed herself to being here; the supplies she'd traded away were ones she'd need were she to return to the nomadic lifestyle.

Putting thoughts of her status out of her mind, Jules rose from her chair and left her office. She need to talk to Markham about the shower house; they'd had some pluming issues due to hair clogs and she hoped he'd know of someone with those skills.

As she exited the silo complex that she shared with Morgan, she caught sight of one of the new people walking toward her, carrying a tub of something. He seemed to be angling toward her, and Jules wondered if she had another suitor. Wouldn't be the first, though she sensed that more serious suitors had hung back because of Morgan. "Hey," she called as the new person drew close, "can I help you with something?"

Nuri stopped for a moment. There was something fascinating about Jules that she couldn't put her finger on. Shaking her head slightly, she crossed the remaining distance to the lovely woman.

"You are Jules, yes?" She said, the gruff voice normally used around strangers forgotten in the stunning woman's presence. "Your ah, Partner, Captain Fox offered me the opportunity to stay here as a resident of this refuge. Is there somewhere we could talk?" She shifted the box in her grasp and wondered if 'partner' was the right term. She didn't know if they were married or just a couple and it was the most politically neutral term she could think of at the time.

"I am Jules," she said. Jules' copper face darkened a little as Morgan was described as her 'partner'. I wish. Then she realized what she thought, and realized that it was true. That made her face really flame up, and she fought to retain her composure in front of the new stranger. Whatever he was to her in reality, she knew people would gossip about it, and likely, this stranger had heard some of those rumors already.

"Morgan's my brother-in-law," she clarified with a smile, gesturing for the thin man to enter the building she'd just left. She walked him back to her office, then sat down. "Can I have your name?"

Nuri followed Jules into her office and placed the container on the floor by her desk. "Oh! I'm sorry for the misunderstanding!" she started, embarrassed slightly by her assumption. "I have been telling people to call me Efreet. It is a type of Middle Eastern Djinn, a demon of smoke and fire."

Again she seemed embarrassed as she related the origin of her chosen monniker. "My real name is Nuri Solomon," She continued and removed the hood to her hoodie and her battered Dallas Cowboys cap. A tangled mop of what was once beautiful black hair but was now a messy birdsnest, badly cut flopped out and Jules was sure Nuri had cut her own hair. The girl before her was in her late teens and of seemed to be of Middle Eastern descent. "Forgive the deception but a woman travelling on her own is considered an easy target by predators."

"I have thought about this a great deal and I would like to stay. While I have concerns about the men here, I would like to chance to build myself a home again. To show that I can and will be a productive member of the community I would like to offer this," She motioned to the Rubbermaid container. "These are medical supplies I collected from Dallas on my last run."

Jules stared open-mouthed for a moment. "Well, I shouldn't be surprised, we've had that happen before, and I should have done it when on the road," she said when she recovered. "And yeah... no need to tell me about being a target by evil men."

She leaned over and popped the top on the tub, taking a look at what Nuri was offering. The motion allowed Nuri to stare at the various scars without being obvious; from clear bite marks to less identifiable scars, she was sporting the evidence of many old wounds. "This is good," she told Nuri before straightening and putting the lid back on. "It's not necessary, but I assure you, it's appreciated."

Jules hooked her butt on the desk and crossed her arms. The skirt shifted and showed most of a leg. "I don't see why you wouldn't be welcome here. Are there any special things you'll need? And what kind of work would you like to do here?" Quietly, she considered how to break the subject of a cuter haircut to the pretty young woman.

Violet was on her way to meet Jules. Last time she was trying to have a 'job-interview' with her it kind of ended unexpected. Lately most conversations ended rather unexpected, things were changing... maybe they were everchanging these days.

Nonetheless, Violet wanted to talk to Jules because there was still something on her mind which she needed to share. Befriending the second-in-command of Fox's Refuge seemed like a good idea to her... and that newcomer presented a welcomed opportunity to show Jules how useful her powers were to find out if people were messing with them or trying to be genuine with their offers and barter. It was about protecting the enclave of course.

The door opened after she listened briefly to the last bits of the conversation. So he is actually a she... nice idea.. Violet looked down at herself and giggled briefly at the impossible idea of her trying to disguise herself as a man. The large Jedi-like brown robe she wore covered most of her body but it was still painfully obvious that she was a woman. Her assets were just too 3D and proudly defied the laws of gravity. Nuri saw the very tall woman come closer to the office desk the hood drawn deeply into her face.

"I hope you don't mind if I joined this little conversation, Jules?", Violet removed the cloak and hooked it on a dresser. Underneath she wore a bodice made of some kind of thin leather that hugged her dramatically curvacious body. The cups were hopefully outmatched to cover her large breasts but somehow she had managed to keep them covered... mostly covered. A matching pair of hips hugging black leather pants with laces on the sides and gothic style boots rounded her style. She looked a bit like a cross of a modern gothic and a new age witch. Especially her long and perfectly flowing red hair accentuated that impression.

Violet gave the newcomer a welcoming smile and briefly nodded at her. "Welcome to Fox's Refuge."

God, she needs a makeover. I'd do it if she asked.

Click to reveal..
Emotional Scan on Nuri (4d10.hits(7)=3)Scanning Nuri's emotions - 3 suxx

Archived