World of Darkness: The Academy - Chapter 3b: Rattling Authority [The Quad]

Dawn OOC

Things had gotten weird fast. Ryan still hadn’t found anyone to help him deal with Relana on any level. Renata and Lucia had hidden the bones on the roof and were back down on the quad, brand new secret conspirators. Micah had left, presumably to go to his room, and Jeremy had slipped away as well. Brahn had suddenly announced that his sister had arrived and went to bring her so that she could work her magic when Sean was found and Jason returned.

As the students waited, the sheriff came back, looking irritated. “Would one of you kids mind telling me what’s going on?” he asked, shifting his waistline around his slight gut. “What’s happening out here tonight?” He looked from one to the other, paying no special attention to Renata, which pleased the larcenous teen to no end.

Ryan crouched on the roof of Mars and watched the commotion below. Nobody saw him up here and he felt comfortable as Zack went off to deal with something that was probably not half as important as he thought it was. The light from the Quad made thing s bright enough to see dimly and Ryan used the chance to look around as he waited for the chance to climb down without attracting further attention to himself. The night had been odd enough but it quickly got stranger still when he dimly saw two figures on the roof of the science annex.

Curiosity quickly subdued his trepidation for further weirdness. Ryan took a running start and was soon working his way quietly from dorm to dorm along the eastern edge of the Quad. Moving about on the roof made stealth a great deal easier as he had both superior vantage and positioning. He made his way quickly, if cautiously, to the roof of Persephone. He stopped and saw the two figures exiting the storage shed and disappearing down into the building once more.

He waited for a few minutes before he made his way down the back of the dorm and them over to the annex and up to it's roof. He got to the shed and found it locked. He rummaged in his various pockets and came up with enough miscellaneous doodads and goodies to try picking the lock. He struggled for a minute and then to his surprise the lock popped open. Smiling to himself he put away his improvised tools and snuck inside to see what was so interesting.

Click to reveal..
(20:53:14) (Ryan): Athletics (8) (rote action)

(20:53:17) ChatBot: (Ryan) rolls 8d10 and gets 5,9,1,4,6,7,3,4.

(20:53:38) ChatBot: (Ryan) rolls 7d10 and gets 8,6,5,4,2,10,4.

(20:53:46) ChatBot: (Ryan) rolls 1d10 and gets 3.

Result = 3 sux

(20:54:41) (Ryan): Stealth (7)

(20:54:44) ChatBot: (Ryan) rolls 7d10 and gets 7,10,3,10,4,3,10.

(20:54:49) ChatBot: (Ryan) rolls 3d10 and gets 8,5,7.

Result = 4 sux

(20:55:51) (Ryan): Larceny (5)

(20:57:29) (Ryan): -2 for imp tools

(20:57:34) ChatBot: (Ryan) rolls 3d10 and gets 9,2,1.

(21:00:57) ChatBot: (Ryan) rolls 3d10 and gets 3,1,8.

Result = 2 sux = popped lock

Renata scuffed her foot on the ground and looked at the others as if silently asking them the same question. She decided not to speak unless specifically addressed, since that's what she would have done if caught by the Sheriff out on the quad and she hadn't been up to anything. It was the guilty conscience that wanted to speak, even if it was to lie.

On getting no answer, the sheriff sighed. "I'd like to get your names," he said, pulling out a notepad. "I might have questions for you all later."

Meanwhile, Ryan was looking around the cramped and crowded tool shed. He wasn't sure what they had hidden in here; it wasn't immediately obvious, but then nothing would jump out in all the junk in here.

Lucia stepped up, having been lost in her own speculation for a few minutes. "My name is Lucia Blake, sir, I'm the student council president. As for what's been going on, that's as much a mystery to me as it seems to be to you." Her tone was mostly respectful, but the emphasis on the last bit seemed to imply that as an adult and a member of the police force, he should know more than a handful of students did. "Has there been some sort of additional commotion?"

Click to reveal..

Subterfuge for being misleading if not outright lying:

1d10=2, 1d10=9, 1d10=8, 1d10=5

2 suxx

Empathy for trying to manipulate him into feeling that he should be able to handle this without them: (let me know if I need to make a different roll or do more interaction before making this roll)

1d10=4, 1d10=10, 1d10=8

2 suxx

Ryan frowned, he didn't know what he was expecting to find and he certainly wasn't going to find it without a search of the shed. In theory he had time to spare though unless the two people came back. He started to search the tiny building looking for something out of place or disturbed, even something missing. After a few minutes he frowned, he'd found nothing but roofing tar and tools, parts for the HVAC systems and other such business. He exited and closed the door, restoring the lock. Figuring that the two figures had removed something he started to wonder who they were and what it was that they had taken out of the shed.

He scrambled down the side of the building and made his way across to the dorms before mounting to the roofs again and making his way to Mars. He'd go back tomorrow when there was more light and try and see if maybe he had missed something in the darkness.

The Sheriff's eyes narrowed at Lucia. "Your name and anything helpful you might know is all I need to hear from you, young lady," he said, drawing himself up to his full height. "If you don't know anything, you should get back to your rooms."

He turned to Renata without giving Lucia a chance to reply. "Name?"

Click to reveal..
Sheriff's Attempt to see through the deceit/misleading: 0 sux, failure (Ouch. Must have had something in his eye...)

1d10=7, 1d10=2, 1d10=1, 1d10=2, 1d10=1, 1d10=6, 1d10=3, 1d10=6

Sheriff's attempt to shake off manipulation: 1 sux, failure

1d10=6, 1d10=7, 1d10=1, 1d10=1, 1d10=9, 1d10=7

Renata nodded and gestured at Lucia. "Come on."

Once they'd gotten out of earshot she turned and looked at the other student more closely.

"Okay, so what are you thinking now? You want to tell Dorn we know where...it is?"

She thought for the briefest of moments, then nodded. "We could use some backing with more authority than the student council, and she's keeping secrets from the sheriff too. I think she's our safest and best bet."

She glanced back into the quad, the over to the dorms. "C'mon, we should do this now and not give someone the chance to stumble in our little secret. Like the janitor."

With that she started heading towards Lancaster, glancing back over her should to make sure Renata was following.

"Okay, yeah, but..." Renata trotted after Lucia. "Lemme just make an observation. Not saying it's something we should do, just something to think about. We have something the Sheriff AND the principal of this school want to cover up really bad. Maybe they're the ones who killed her...who knows? Point is, while we have it, we have them. Sort of. See?"

They walked as she talked, and by that time were swiftly approaching their destination. There, outside the door, Renata finished.

"I'm just saying, that bag of bones could give us a pretty easy ride here, if we used it right. Just think about it."

Archived