World of Darkness: The Academy - Chapter 3a: Holders of the Keys [Lancaster]

Dawn OOC

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Ms. Dorn, if Zack's father was here when whatever happened... happened, we should ask him about Sherry Bolling, Rodney Racker, Harvey Scherff, and Elias Beckett. Brahn said they were all involved." Sean stood back up, a little wobbly, brushing back his black hair.

Sean shuffled over closer to Lorelei, head cocked and brow raised questioningly. "You went to Narnia?" he whispered to her.

Zack's phone rang; seeing it was from his father, he answered it. "Son, I'm just outside your room, but you're not here. Where are you?"

"Up in the TV lounge on the second floor," Zack said. "You'll want to come-"

"I used to live here," Alex reminded his son with a smile. "I'll be right up." He cut the connection, and Zack told the others he'd be right up.

Alex Hunter was a tall man with brown hair going grey and bifocals. His smile as he came into the room was warm and generous, but it faded the second he saw Brihn and Brahn. For a second, everyone was sure he was about to freak out about the appearance of the strangers, and half the room was mentally forming excuses.

"You!" Alex snarled, grabbing his son and pulled him behind him. "If you've touched my son, I'll kill you!"

"If we have touched him, it is with his permission," Brahn said calmly, but he was clearly tense.

"I don't care if he gave you a signed invitation!" Alex barked. His hand moved quickly, and there was suddenly a knife in it. "Me and mine are off limits to you!"

"Mr. Hunter!"

The not-quite-shout came from Sylvia in what could only be called a command voice, and she moved between the angry man and those present protectively, her hackles thoroughly raised.

"Put that away, right now! These visitors are here by invitation, and just healed one of our students!"

In a voice that was just an edge softer: "I know what happened thirty years ago, and what you lost. But we need to know what you know now. The Caramines are back."

"Jesus Christ! Does every American go about armed?" Sean exclaimed. He placed himself between the girls that went to Narnia and both the Lhesk(ians?) and the older man with the knife as best he could. Despite his tiredness, he was tense, ready to act... once he knew how to act. He had to stop thinking about what was happening, otherwise he was going to lose it. He had to get in the zone.

Boarding school so far sucked ass, despite all the pretty girls.

"Um, I guessin' there was more to the agreement between Lhesk and Dalton then we were told so far, huh?"

If Sylvia's glare cut her as deeply as it was meant to, it didn't show... much. She simply looked away, shoulders sinking slightly as her stomach twisted into knots of guilt. She had been chosen, and in trying to broker some sort of peace, had condemned Ms. Dorn. Her ignorance of the situation could mean the death of the pretty, eccentric teacher... unless something could be done.

Could she convince them to claim her, instead of Ms. Dorn? The idea wasn't appealing, as she had no particular desire to die, or be subjected to whatever it was that happened to those taken by the Caramine. Still, she couldn't just let things stand the way they were, not and live with her conscience. The pale woman seemed to possess some sense of honour; perhaps she would be willing to discuss the matter.

As she mulled over such pleasant thoughts, she suddenly realised that someone was quite close to her. Looking up, she found herself staring at the handsome young Canadian.

He has the most beautiful eyes, Lorelei thought dreamily as she looked up at Sean, letting herself sink into the cool, dark, blue-grey pools until someone cleared their throat. Hastily, with a shy smile and flushed cheeks, she made a careful study of the carpet and nodded.

"It seems that way. I'm sorry I-"

Whatever she was sorry for, it remained unspoken, for it was at that moment that she uttered a sharp, frightened cry of surprise at the sight of the older man brandishing a knife.

"Dad!" It was one of the rare moments where Zack's cool facade broke and worry tinged his voice. He moved over between the two strangers and his fathers and stood there defiant, yet respectful. "They haven't done anything to me, but I helped dig up a skeleton earlier, a young woman by the way she was dressed, and that wasn't even the start of this weirdness."

He looks at his dad silently imploring him to calm down some.

"From your reaction I know you know the truth, so tell me Dad, what the hell is going on at this school? What am I a part of now?"

"A skeleton? Was she in the stables?" Alex looked like he'd been kicked in the gut. The knife wavered, then came back up. "Son, get away from the vampires. Now!"

"So intolerant," Brihn said angrily, "and all we offered was our aid. I tried to save Heja-"

"Don't," Alex snapped. "Don't go there. We would have never gone to war with the Caramines had you not persuaded Dean to strike first!"

"Dean saw the danger they posed," Brahn said, moving so that he stood in front of his sister. "Had he killed the Nine, he would have struck a decisive blow against them."

"Why didn't you do that then?" Alex hissed. "Because you knew that Caramine would go on the warpath, and you were trying to make us your pawns. I won't let you do the same to my son."

Sylvia looked around at the growing insanity... and tossed in a bit of her own.

"Stop this right now!"

If her previous words had been a command voice, this was something else. Her entire posture seemed to shift and grow to fill more space than she possibly could. The words themselves weren't a shout, but still left a silence hanging in the air behind them was nearly tangible.

Dark eyes looked from person to person, finally settling on Brihn and Brahn. "You two need to move over there, to that sofa, for everyone's safety including your own. And everyone else needs to take a seat and a few deep breaths before we figure out exactly where we stand calmly and reasonably. Is that absolutely clear?"

All Deek could do was roll his eyes. From his vantage point where he leaned against the wall he could see the scene was relatively hopeless.

Ice Cream Social all over again... All that was left was for Sylvia and the class president to go American Gladiator again and start beating everyone into submission... or get stabbed in the attempt.

He shook his head, turned his iPod up and continued to lean against the wall.

Sean's eyes widened at Ms. Dorn's voice. Note to self - don't piss off the History teacher. Sean stayed wary, his eyes glancing from the Lheskians to Alex Hunter and back. He put an arm around Lorelei's slender shoulders protectively as he led her to a love seat.

As they settled into the love seat, sides pressed close together, Sean looked into the elfin blonde's huge, blue eyes, his own stormy eyes dark with determination. "I'll do better this time, I promise." Calm down and listen. Gotta stop mouthing off, don't want these guys to start harvesting too.

As Sean studied the scene unfolding in the day-room, a finger traced the area where his wound used to be, wondering at the full price of the Lhesk's healing. Sean leaned in close to whisper in Lorelei's ear, though his low voice carried to those nearby.

"I'm startin' to think that maybe all the teams in this game are partly at fault, Caramine, Lhesk, and Dalton. These Narnians or whatever, they make you any deals or promises, or give you any gifts with hooks in it?" Sean said, plucking at the furs Lorelei was wearing.

For his part, Zack moved next to his Father and practically forced him to sit. "Calmly, let's go over what we know."

He leans over to his Father. "Yes it was in the stables, Ms. Dorn and some others were there and she did most of the finer excavation."

Her stance softening somewhat, Silvia took a seat and looked Alex in the eyes, something very much like compassion showing in her own.

In a voice that was as soft as her previous tone was hard, she said, "I found the box with the keys. And your letter. I'm sorry."

Frida glanced around and, noticing there weren't that many available seats remaining, she quietly sat down on the floor in a corner. Her secret hope was that this would help her recede into the background - not for lack of desire to take part in the conversation, for she could always choose to speak up as she pleased - but so that she could take the opportunity to be unnoticed, and therefor draw. People were always so unnatural when they knew you were observing them. And even though Frida could always draw from memory later, it helped to have the person here in front of you, to see their new actions and movements. You can, after all, only remember the ones you've seen, and not the ones you miss.

She placed the fur she'd had around her shoulders on the floor to soften the hardness of it. Then she sat down, discreetly tucking her skirt in to avoid any impropriety. After a quiet moment of watching the scene with impassive eyes, she quietly opened her sketchbook and began to draw.

Alex slumped in his seat at his son and Sylvia's words. "Thank you," he mumbled to Sylvia. He pressed the heels of his unarmed hand into an eye, looking far more tired than the man who had come in the door. "I'm sorry about the knife," he added after a moment. "I don't come on this campus without a weapon." He didn't put it away, nor did he offer to put it away.

Finally, he lifted his head and stared at the Lheski. "Why have you come back?"

"The treaty is about to run out," Brahn said.

"Fuck," Alex said. It was the first time Zack had heard his dad say that word. "Come on, Zack, we're transferring you out of here."

"If he's been chosen by Shovat Kytan, that will do no good," Brahn said. As Alex glared at him, Brahn said, "Just a helpful bit of advice."

"I don't want your advice, Soul-Eaters," Alex growled. "I'm getting my son out of here."

"Just a moment, please, before anyone goes taking anyone else out of anywhere. What exactly is being chosen; that is, what does it imply for those who are chosen? Because to be perfectly honest, I'm more than a bit curious. Since I'm apparently number two, whatever that means."

Almost as an after-thought, she asked, "And what's this about 'vampires' and 'soul-eaters'? Are you be rhetorical, or is there something that our guests have refrained from explaining?"

"Those who are chosen are Harvested," Alex said, his eyes haunted. "If they can't take you, they'll kill you. We never found out what happened to those captured."

"We need life-force to survive," Brihn said, raising her chin. "Don't worry, we do not steal from allies."

"That doesn't stop you from influencing people to give it to you," Alex snapped, glaring at them.

"We have done nothing wrong to you or yours," Brahn replied coldly.

"No, you don't need to, when you have people to abuse," Alex growled.

"Er, not to interject or anythin', but Brahn, what do the um, Caramels, no I mean Caramines, do with those Harvested?" Sean looked around at the others in the room, trying to keep any of the anxiety he felt from his face. "Not that I'm worried, but the... Shovat? The Shovat nominated me number one. I'm afraid I didn't have a good first impression."

Sean's meager grin was crooked and a bit sickly, but that may have been attributed to the forced healing he had just received.

A brief look of annoyance flickered across Frida's face, but it was so faint that only those very familiar with her would recognize the difference in her tone of voice, or someone very observant. When she spoke, her voice - if it were even possible - was even more devoid of emotion than it normally was.

"Perhaps you didn't understand correctly, Sean. Of course, you are injured, I suppose. Mr. Hunter just explained that no one knows what happens. They take you if they can, or they kill you if they can't. No one knows what happens after you're taken. I don't believe the Lheskians have any further information on the subject?"

The end of her voice was a slight question, but she was fairly certain of their answer. Since so far the only thing she had seen of them had been their willingness to help, she was for the moment focusing more on their intent than on any dependency. After all.. you can't help what you are. At least they warned people, right? It wasn't as if humans asked permission from cattle before killing them for their beef. And Brihn had given them knowledge without asking anything of them in return.

Having grown claustrophobic in his room, Everett found himself wandering the halls of Lancaster when he heard several raised voices. He diverted his direction to that of the voices as his interest was fully piqued.

"Pretty loud everywhere tonight. Something finally happens around here and I'm missing it" Everett said as he rubbed his neck.

"Better see what the commotion is..." he said to himself as he strolled down the hall.

He ran his hand along the wall as he headed for the object of his interest. Attempting to make out what was being said as he took in the shouts and seemingly muffled converstion inbetween them proved nearly futile. What he did manage to decipher didn't make any sense at all.

Upon finally entering the room, Everett stopped short. It seemed representatives from every house, faculty included, had turned out for...whatever this was. Leaning casually against the wall he looked over their guests.

"So what'd I miss?" he inquired of the room in general flicking his gaze between classmates, faculty, and strangers alike.

"Everything," Brahn said to the newcomer with a hint of amusement. "Perhaps you could sit and join us? If no one objects."

"The only thing we can say is that it involves the Nine," Brihn said. She and her brother exchanged glances, then she added, "They are the Caramine guiding council. There is the Travot, which is similar to a king, but the Council of Nine truly leads."

"They make the decisions, which the Travot is to carry out," Brahn explained. "I believe your terms would define the Nine as 'big picture' people and the Travot is the 'details' person who carries out those orders, however he sees fit."

"We're not sure what the Harvest has to do with the Nine," Brihn continued. "Beyond that, we are as clueless as you. And we have looked, because our people were taken, in the beginning. Since, we have learned war, and our people have managed to stave off the Caramines, which is as close as they come to truce. It is a standoff, with them unable to advance on us, but us unable to convince them to leave us alone."

"We have powerful defenses, and they test them, and sometimes, they break them," Brahn said, and there was a touch of weariness in his voice. "And so we fight them back and make new defenses. And so on it goes."

"Our people - Americans - have this interesting policy. We don't start wars. But we do finish them, whenever possible. It sounds like it's time to stop waiting for the next raid and take this fight to the Caramines."

Hearing words like these come from Sylvia Dorn was certainly odd. But there could be no question about the sincerity in her tone, or the very determined light in her eyes.

"I don't want to see me and mine continue to be victims to these people. Something happened thirty years ago that got them to hold off for all that time, and if we can find out what it was, we might have an advantage that we can press home. Because if we can take the fight there, those back here will be safer."

Looking to Alexander Hunter, Sylvia asked, "What happened then? What did we do that pushed them to a truce?"

Zack listens, but has only more questions to ask. He turns to his dad. "Perhaps it's best if you tell us the whole story of what happened thirty three yeas ago Dad."

His request reiterated Sylvia's though he hoped it carried more weight as it came from his son.

"Tell us everything you know."

Everret slid quietly down the wall into a sitting position as he listened to plans of action being discussed. Plans against what though? What was the threat? He heard several names being thrown around, but he had no clue what they were. They were no countries he was familiar with. He was certain they weren't countries he wasn't familiar with either.

"Caramine, Travot, The Nine, what did I walk into?" he asked aloud.

He waited and hoped the man, Alexander Hunter or someone would explain.

Everret slid quietly down the wall into a sitting position as he listened to plans of action being discussed. Plans against what though? What was the threat? He heard several names being thrown around, but he had no clue what they were. They were no countries he was familiar with. He was certain they weren't countries he wasn't familiar with either.

"Caramine, Travot, The Nine, what did I walk into?" he asked aloud.

He waited and hoped the man, Alexander Hunter or someone would explain.

Alex was quiet for a moment before he said, "Rod Racker found it. The Door. He found it in the newly built Lancaster, and he was the first to go through it. The... thing on the other side almost killed him, and he got some of us guys to go back. But this time... we found the Neri.

"They are a short-lived agrarian people,” Alex said, and a small smile crossed his face. “One of them, Heja… she became a great friend. The Neri taught us how to use the Doors. And then Dean started to use them in earnest. At first, it was fun, right? Great adventure, all kinds of fun. Our grades were slipping because we were travelling every night instead of doing homework.”

Alex paused and his expression hardened as he looked at the Lheski. “Then we found the Lhesk. They told us about the Caramine, about how they were warmongers, and how the Nine were their ruling council. Brahn here convinced Dean that the Caramine would come for us, in time, and that we should strike first. So Dean led an assault, snuck into the Nine’s chambers and started to kill them. It didn’t go quite as planned.

“The Caramine stopped them before they finished,” Alex sighed. “I wasn’t there. The Nine… they sleep, and talk to their people through telepathy or something, but anyway, it didn’t seem right to kill people who were just sleeping.”

“They don’t just sleep,” Brahn said, “but they are helpless and easy to kill."

Lorelei could feel Sean tense, his arm around her almost her painfully tight. His face paled even further.

"You killed them in their sleep?! That's really unfair. If you're gonna fight someone, you should at least let them have a chance to fight back."

"And, uh, Mr. Bracks, it doesn't seem to be only the Lheskians' fault. This Dean guy decided to kill people he was only told were a threat. Unless you actually gave him any proof, Brahn? Sucks for him, and them, and I guess us, that the Caramines hold a grudge."

Lorelei could feel an involuntary tremor wrack Sean's body.

Dean... No! No, there is no fuckin' way... it couldn't be...

Then Dean is a fucking idiot, based on what we know.

What is up with Sylvia and all the snarling, growling mojo? So not attractive. Maybe it is that time of the month. Girl needs a Midol. Maybe the manual labor, said she was digging. Probably broke a nail.

Why can't we be like the Blue Adept and just have a poetry contest?

I need a pop. I think I have an OK stashed somewhere...unless I drank it.

Pay attention, important stuff is going on.

"OK, question," Sylvia piped up. "Who is this Dean? A student, thirty years ago, but is he someone still associated with Dalton as an alumni?

"And Sean?" she added. "As harsh as it may sound, fighting fair is something that is fine on a sports field, but historically it doesn't do terribly well when lives are on the line. The unfortunate truth is that General Sherman was right: war is hell. And because of that, it's best finished as quickly as possible. If we are in fact in what amounts to a war with Caramine, we need to find a solution and use it quickly, or face the bitter consequences."

Her tone had shifted somewhat, and seemed almost like the old Miss Dorn: tackling a problem in logical fashion with consideration for history. But the topic at hand added a touch of the unreal to her words, and hints of a predatory nature that a mere week ago was nowhere to be found in the frumpy educator.

Sean snorted at Ms. Dorn's assertion about war, seemingly unconcerned with her firm reputation. "Fighting like that the last time worked real well, didn't it, Miss Dorn?"

Oh, please no, please no. It can't be him - if it is...

Sean pulled out his cellphone, flipping it open near his thigh. He highlighted a number, ready to dial, sure that there would be no answer.

"So what happened after all of that?" Zack was trying to keep things on track, he wanted to hear the whole story.

He looks to his dad with the same gaze he'd learned from him. "I'd like to hear the rest of the story."

"Brad, we didn't force Dean to do anything," Brihn replied, her voice gentle.

"We told him of the danger they represent," Brahn said. "He decided what to do, and we aided him in that, as friends." His unnatural eyes settled on Sean. "Just as we aided you in your tasks tonight."

Brihn added, "It was his choice, and the choice of those who followed him."

"Convenient how that stance alleviates you of all guilt," Alex snapped.

"No one is innocent in this," Brahn growled. It was a literal growl, a low rumble in his throat that set hair on end.

Brihn put her hand on her brother's arm. "Alex, perhaps you should finish your story, for your son."

Alex glared at her, but said, "After that? Well, after that, it was war. Caramine sent through spies - members of the Ravens, and Shadows. They cased us for a while, and then sent a Harvest. The Shovat picked people randomly. They didn't even go after the kids responsible. Just picked people. Sherry, Marty... Heja." Alex's voice cracked a little on the last name. "We fought them as best as we could... They were ready for us, though."

"How did you get the treaty?" Sylvia pressed, repeating her question.

Alex shook his head. "I don't know. Wilbur was devastated after the attack, and he insisted on attempting to sue for peace. He went alone, was gone for three days. When he came back, he had the treaty. I don't know what he gave for peace, but he was never the same."

Alex was quiet. "None of us talk about it anymore. Even Dean, who came out as far ahead as anyone did, doesn't talk about it. I thought Wilbur had taken care of it forever." Alex looked at Zack, then pulled him into a one-armed hug. Softly, he murmured, "I wouldn't have sent you here, son, had I known it still wasn't safe. I couldn't stand to lose you, too."

He nods to his dad. "You won't. We'll find a way to take of this problem."

He looked at Brihn and Brahn. "So now this has all began again. Is there anything more you can tell us that may be of aid to us?

I'm not looking to wage a war, but they've attacked us and Selected a number of us already. Rather than sit around waiting for the harvest, I'd like to do something more proactive. We need to know what the actual treaty entailed, what was bargained in exchange for peace."

As Sean listened to the others talk, his hand tightened on his cell phone; he wasn't sure what he thought anymore, if what Dean had done was for better or worse.

He watched the Hunters hug, and couldn't wait anymore. With a soft murmur, he excused himself from the beautiful, ethereal blonde in his arm, then gave everyone else a nod, not responding to any of them as he headed outside the day-room.

He paced the hallway outside, then leaned against the wall, an arm over his eyes, breathing deep. He twisted around, looking down at his phone for a long moment, his forehead pressed against the wall. Trembling, he dialed.

Ring... ring... ring. Ring... ring... ring. Ring... - Sorry, got something better to do than answering the phone right now. Leave your name and number...

Always, always, the fuckin' voice mail. Deet!

"... ... ... ... Dad... ... did you ever go to Dalton?" Click!

"You do need to know that," Brahn agreed, "but only Dalton himself knew, according to the Hunter."

"It's just... Alex now," Alex said, glaring at Brahn. He frowned and said, "Well... one guy might talk about it. Rod Racker. He used to try to contact me, to talk about it. He said he was going to talk to Wilbur, but I don't know if he ever did." Alex rubbed his face. "I can try to find his number. I haven't talk to him in years, though."

His head was swimming with all the new information. It all sounded insane, but the others were convinced it was true. And there was something about, Brahn and Brihn was it? Something very different about them to say the least.

"I'm sorry, Brahn right? I'm certain I missed it but what exactly are these Caramines and Lheski?" he queried as he straightened his back.

Everyone had heard the rumors about this creepy ass school. That made what he was hearing now easier to swallow, not much easier, but easier nonetheless. True he hadn't gotten all the details through the rumors, but this stuff was just too strange to be transmitted properly by the whispers. And this definitely fell under Everret's belief that the stranger it was the more likely it was to be true.

"If there is a war going on and this place is the battleground I'd like to know what exactly we're up against" he said as he returned to his feet, the tension within him growing.

As the two students made their into Lancaster, Lydia spoke quietly to her partner in crime. "Blackmail only works when they're afraid other people might believe you. This would be two kids with bones they could've picked up from some science class room, accusing a school official and a police officer. They could alter our records and clami that we're troubled youth just trying to get them into scandal because that's the kind of people we are." She paused, then finished up with, "You're parents might go to bat for you in a fight like that, but my mother would leave me out to dry."

They made their way upstairs, finding the packed room just in time to hear Alex's tale and peer in curiously at the room.

"We are of the Lhesk," Brihn replied, smiling a little and waving the two new girls into the room. "The term 'Lheski' is used the same way as 'Daltonites', or ones from Dalton. We are your allies, though sometimes misunderstood ones." Alex snorted, his face twisted into a bitter expression.

"The Caramine are the enemy," Brahn picked up the dialogue. "They are a militaristic society that seeks to constantly expand their holdings across the Worlds. They will seek to control Doors, and guard their own diligently. They have called a Harvest on your people, which means they will come and kidnap or kill thirteen of you. If I'm not mistaken, some of you have already been marked? Or rather... Selected?"

"Hey," Renata said, staring at the two 'Lhesk.' "You guys are like those freaks at the student get-together thing!"

She elbows Lucia and points. "See? Check out their eyes. That girl at the party was just like that."

Archived