Changeling-Earth 2: Freehold Earth - Down the River

Dawn OOC

Percy had heard that the strangers with their strange town were down the river, closer to the ocean. He thought it was three days' walk along the banks; they would have to swing wide in some places, but mostly they had to follow the river.

The morning was bright and blue. Rumitalitalen crept up to Khalid's side and snuggled him for a moment before stepping back. She seemed to understand they were parting ways now.

Percy seemed to have forgotten about dueling. He pleasantly shook hands with everyone and wished them well. Then he got in his house and it scuttled away on many legs, disappearing into the Hedge again.

That left them alone in the early morning, a strange, mis-matched set of travelers.

Billy looked over the group and there preparations for the trek, seeing everyone looked ready, "Ok, people lets move out then. Tim and I will take point alternatively in hour shifts. As Percy suggested we'll keep close to the river bank, but about 10 yards or so away in order to avoid weak points and being seen from the other side. Any other suggestions, or should we just move out?"

Khalid reached for Saffron to help her up and nodded to Orderly when he looked prepared.

"We are ready to go. Percy, thank you for all you have done. You've been an excellent host."

Detaching himself from Saffron for a moment, he goes over to Rumitalitalen and gives her a hug.

"Take care of Percy girl and take care of yourself. We will meet again some day. I certainly hope so."

Khalid then rejoined Saffron and nodded to Billie.

"Guide the way. We will do our best to keep up."

Rochelle collected as much as she could carry...which was very little...and trudged over to the others. She didn't say anything, but just nodded mutely. Her color wasn't very good...she looked pale and washed out.

Tim actually started off, leading the way by the river. The morning was hot; the day promised to be a scorcher.

By noon, when the group stopped, everyone was covered in sweat. "This is miserable," Fingers moaned, though she didn't take her hood off. "Ugh."

Laina nodded at Fingers and nearly collapsed on the ground, her pack sliding off her back in a most unpleasantly sticky way. She bit her lip and looked away from the group for a moment, then said softly, "There might be another way we could do this, but it'll take a couple of trips, so we'd have to split up."

She looked miserable, which everyone did, but also nervous and a little embarrassed.

Billy squatted down with his backpack resting against a tree to take some of the weight off while he uncorked one of his water bottles and drank.

"Yep, hiking is rarely pleasent in these temperatures, but it could have been much worse. It's not like we are hiking across a desert for example. We have plenty of water just over there," he nods towards the river, "and we do get occasional shade from some of these trees and high bushes."

"I'm not a fan of splitting up. Splitting up is how I got captured in the first place. How about we travel from dawn until noon, camp for four hours and then head out until dark. It will cost us all a bit of time, but no one get's left behind."

"Besides, splitting up means two groups have to meet the surviors at the first landing sight. Better we take our chances together. If things go badly, we will have more options."

"I definitely don't want to split up," Rochelle added, even though the discussion was apparently settled. She looked up, shaken out of some private reverie. "Not here. This isn't a normal planet. I don't think a few survival courses would help much."

She shivers. "It's like the whole place is...half dream and half real. Maybe not even half. Reality shouldn't be like that, it should be the same no matter where you go. That's what reality MEANS, doesn't it?"

Billy just shrugs, and gets up from squatting by the tree, "Well I agree this ain't no normal planet, but it's the one we are on and there is no sign we'll be getting off any time soon. So the best thing we can do is try to adapt to the situation as best as we can, and to help the colony to do that as well."

"Half-dream is a good description of this place," Saffron said softly. "It is the nature of it to be somehow easy for the Fae to manipulate, and we can learn to do so too, to a degree."

"I've heard rumors that if you go deeply enough into Arcadia," Fingers said suddenly, "you can find other places still. No one's returned to verify this, of course."

"Heard, too," Orderly said, shifting his shoulders slightly. "Story told when got here."

"Interesting. That suggests that Arcadia might connect to other planets, which would explain how there are legends of the Sidhe on Earth and we encounter them here. Which also raises the possibility of travelling through Arcadia to get back to Earth ourselves." Billy shakes his head, "Although I hate to think how long it would take to get that great a degee of control of the Dream nature of this place, and Arcadi to even consider doing so even vaguely safely."

He takes another drink of water from his canteen, "Anyway, we better get back on the road if we want to make decent progress in time to find a good camping spot this evening."

Laina nodded in approval, ready to be going herself. Her mind had filed away the implications of what had been said to puzzle over later. For now, she just wanted to be that much closer to an actual bed and hopefully a colony starting to recover.

Billy looks confused at Fingers question, "What do you mean they're not, oh, I get it. No, it's a different word spelt S I D H E. Another name for the Fae in folktales and legends back on Earth, at least among my fathers ancestors in Ireland."

Laina looked down at Roche, her brow furrowed. "Grenade?" She slowed her pace to match the other woman, wondering if she should offer to carry her or even to ride. Part of her still had trepidations about brining him out of the forest where the others could see him, but then poor Roche was certainly going to be exhausted if she tried to keep up to everyone else's pace.

"Yeah," Rochelle answered distractedly. "The, uh, the house. When it attacked I did something. I'm not sure how to explain it." She looks up at Laina. "I wanted something that would burn, or explode, because that's what you'd use to kill a building, right?"

She shrugs. "And just acting on...desperation, I guess, or impulse or instinct...I reached into his head. And my hand went right through his skull and I could feel...sort of a whole world inside. And just grabbed what I needed and yanked it out."

Rochelle holds up her empty right hand.

"And there was a grenade in it. A white phosphorous one. It looked sort of weird...sort of fuzzy. But it worked."

Rochelle nodded and looked at her hand.

"I know I can," she says. "I feel like I'm as much a part of that world as this one now, sometimes. Like the things people dream of are as real to me as all of this is to everyone else."

That odd concept stopped conversation for the rest of the day. Camp was made again, but after a second day of hard walking left everyone exhausted. There was no energy for anything, much less talking.

An early morning meant that they were still tired when they hit the road. They headed out early in the morning, prepared to walk all day again. But Tim, who was ranging ahead of them came back with news. "I can see a fence ahead, and armed humans." He stopped and frowned, then added, "I mean, those not like us. Anyway, how are we approaching them?"

"On foot?" Laina ventured, still not really understanding how unreal they would all look to the surviving colonists. She'd stepped up her own pace, eager to see who'd made it and how functional the colony was at this point. She was hot, exhausted, and really really hoping they had some clean running water. And soap. Lots of soap.

Billy stops at Tim's news and calls after Laina as she moves ahead, "Laina, hang on. We need to think about this. How do you think they are going to react to seeing us like this?" he indicates himself, Tim, Fingers and Orderly as examples. "We need to work out the best people to go talk to them and to at least discuss what they might say."

The engineer stopped short and sighed. She wanted so badly just to be at the colony by now, but Billy had a point. Being in the colony and dead wasn't really going to accomplish much. She made her way back to the others a little dejectedly.

"Alright. What do you want to say, other than 'don't shoot me'? Mostly they're probably going to be confused and some of them are going to call people names and point guns at them. Any idea who might be best to talk to them? I'm the highest ranking person here, but who knows if that even means anything to them at this point."

She glanced around the group, a newborn star winking into existence with a flash of light in her left eye.

"Why don't we both go? That way someone can stay there and the other person can run back to get the rest of us once we've got things explained?" Her voice was thoughtful, but it was also easy to see that she was eager to make it to the colony.

"Fair enough, you two go. However, your eyes may give you away Laina. Do you have any sunglasses that could hide them, at least initially?"

He runs a thick black 'fingernail' through the perpetual stubble on his chin. "Perhaps Tim and I should sneak closer with you in case things go pear shaped and we need to get you out of there?"

"My eyes?" She seemed taken aback by the thought, and something slowly made itself known to her and then slunk back away into the darker corners of her mind. "Oh, yes, well. Still. Yes, that would be a good idea. Shall we get going, then?"

Rochelle takes a deep breath, steeling herself, then nods and starts walking in the direction of the compound.

"It's kind of ironic that I feel so scared coming -back-," she mentioned to Laina. "This is supposed to be a happy moment."

Archived