Open World OWoD game

Dawn OOC

I don't have strong feelings either way, but if we're going to do mages, make paradox fucking hurt and have someone (Rev?) to police it.

I'm more worried about player activity. I know Starberrant has gone pretty smoothly, but is it just me or do we seem to have less people, or quieter people, or something? The dynamics have changed and I don't want to see a new forum just barely inch along or siphon off the remaining players in the open world settings.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've already said I'd do it... not once... and twice didn't seem to get through to anyone, so in the age old tradition of repeating myself for the masses who apparently can't or don't read:

I'll police the damn Mages. I'll make sure they get their Paradox (within reason, I see any fun in ripping them apart just because they play with a vulgar effect here and there) and if any of those Slap-Nut finger wigglers go and pull some stupid shit like turning any of the other PCs into lawn chairs, so fuckin' help me I'll skin them over the internet.

Here's the caveat for the social clubs who don't want their precious Elder made to look like a fool before the Mages though: if you fuck with them and think you can get away with it because someone is pulling their leash I will gladly allow anyone, Vamp, Mage, Werewolf, Changling, Sweet Aunt Ethel, I don't care... to give it right back to you providing the punishment fits the crime.

So if it's no fun for you to get kicked in the nuts, don't go kicking others in theirs.

I know Mage, I love Mage and I've had equal experience with that game as I've had with Vampire and I've been playing both since I was in Jr. High. If no one is comfortable policing the Awakened, I'll do it (that's four).

Now if we want to be rid of Mage entirely, feel free, but what are we going to about balance then? I sure don't want a PC completely immune to my Dominate just because he/she's lower generation than me... that goes against my inclusive concept where I get to enjoy myself without one person able to power trip on me because they're immune to my powers...

As always people are naggy about shit that isn't even a problem. Hell, starting Mages can't do shit to anyone compared to what a starting Werewolf is capable of. Aren't any of you bitching about the fact the WWs can do Agg Damage, stay in Crinos for as long as desired, and soak Agg Damage with their full stamina? Certainly not even a Gen 8 Vampire can do that (Vamps only soak Agg with their Fortitude discipline, and Mages only with their Life Sphere).

Fuck the lawn chair debate... if you're worried about broken shit out of the gate turn to the Werewolves. shocked

Originally Posted By: Dave ST
I've already said I'd do it... not once... and twice didn't seem to get through to anyone, so in the age old tradition of repeating myself for the masses who apparently can't or don't read:

I'll police the damn Mages. I'll make sure they get their Paradox (within reason, I see any fun in ripping them apart just because they play with a vulgar effect here and there) and if any of those Slap-Nut finger wigglers go and pull some stupid shit like turning any of the other PCs into lawn chairs, so fuckin' help me I'll skin them over the internet.

Fair enough. I hadn't really caught your earlier statements as "I am volunteering". I blame a lack of regular sex.

And the fact that my cat has started sitting on my keyboard. frown

Here's the caveat for the social clubs who don't want their precious Elder made to look like a fool before the Mages though: if you fuck with them and think you can get away with it because someone is pulling their leash I will gladly allow anyone, Vamp, Mage, Werewolf, Changling, Sweet Aunt Ethel, I don't care... to give it right back to you providing the punishment fits the crime.

I support this statement.

Fuck the lawn chair debate... if you're worried about broken shit out of the gate turn to the Werewolves. shocked

But... I like werewolves. We can't ban them. wink

With Dave's help, we can have mages. Rejoice.

I agree, you kick someone in the nuts expect to get kicked back and take it like a man or a woman or a furry or whatever... just take it and like it! wink

Ok, so I think we're all ok with Dave policing the Mages. If anyone objects then speak now or forever hold your nuts.

Any other issues that need to be resolved, like what time period?

If this is set up like Starberrant (only with more of a round robin ST staff), then I'm wildly all up for it. I'd ask that we'd be allowed to play more than one character if just to flesh out the different venues more, but I can survive if we're just allowed one.

As for running plots and whatnot, I'd be up for doing that occasionally. Dawn, would you mostly be policing player behavior and character sheets, then?

As for siphoning off the other OW games, I'd say that it's unlikely given how quiet most of those are anyways (WoDA's picked up I know, but 200X is virtually silent, 2019's been pretty silent for a while, and MCoH goes up and down but never seems to be really geared up). I don't know which section this would be put in, but if people are going to post here I don't think it's going to be instead of in the games they're not post in much anyways. I don't think it'll take much away from WoDA as the people still posting there seem pretty dedicated but I guess it is a concern.

This is an open invitation to anyone who runs plots.

I volunteer to be your sounding board and assist you with plot ideas if you want someone to help think of ways to make them bigger or more devious.

In BASF's commercials their motto is:

We're BASF - We don't make the products you buy, we make them better.

I'm like BASF; only for plot. grin

___

As for the issue of new games pulling focus from existing ones. Yeah it happens, but the good games that are healthy and active tend to stay that way. As an ST I used to worry about it, and still do a little, but it's a fact of life around here. You just can't let it get to you.

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
As for the issue of new games pulling focus from existing ones. Yeah it happens, but the good games that are healthy and active tend to stay that way. As an ST I used to worry about it, and still do a little, but it's a fact of life around here. You just can't let it get to you.

QFT

That has not been decided yet, mostly because I want the player base to have as much input into it as possible. I figure that if we have a timeline that most people like, they're going to have more fun.

As a note, I was planning to allow at least two characters per player, limited to one per type. And yes, werewolves and were-others are a single type.

I vote modern...

but I got an idea that I'd like to propose.

We could run different timelines at the same time, giving them own subforums.

That way some players could play the same PC in different eras (Vampires and Wraiths more likely than the others). Or create different PCs in different timelines (Werewolf in the Dark Ages and A Mage in Modern or any other combination).

I know that this idea poses several logistical challenges but maybe with some more tweaking and specific rulings on the Do's and Don'ts it could work out.

Some stories could have an overarching effect like feuds and grudges that were forged in the Dark Ages and got passed on to the modern times - some may remember those times some don't. Others don't care and so on.

I know it's crazy... but it's an idea.

Mages and Werewolves can live for centuries, and indeed some are that old. Porthos was over 600 years old a few BSD are 500+ and there are places one can retreat to in the Umbra where time nearly stands still...

The longest Vamp chronicle I've ran went from 1089 A.D. to 2001 A.D. and some of the people the PCs met were still around and especially a few of the enemies. And the power rating for the game was off the fucking scale, but the PCs earned every bit of it.

And personally I say 'fuck it', if you wanna make immortals, do it. I've had mortals who were just regular people and for whatever reason they just didn't die from old age. Ancient curses, alien anal probes, bitten by a radioactive lesbian pissclam... who cares the reason? Werewolves, Vampires, and Mages are running around in an age old circle jerk... you think saying some guys being immortal are really going to shatter the believability?

The only real problem with back and forth is that it creates the automatic assumption that you've survived the past to be around for the present... basically you become invincible in any story where you're in the past.

We could start in the past and move forward rapidly. That creates the issue that people fall behind on plots and stories. That'd be one way to get the 'immortal' feel, something like one year game-time for every two months RL.

Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: Dawn, OOC
We could start in the past and move forward rapidly. That creates the issue that people fall behind on plots and stories. That'd be one way to get the 'immortal' feel, something like one year game-time for every two months RL.

Thoughts?

I don't really like this idea. Aside from falling-behind issues it just seems 'messy' to me, and I'm afraid it might rush people unnecessarily.

Originally Posted By: Dawn, OOC

Thoughts?

You mentioned two PCs/Player... so, two time lines.

With careful planning you can make the two time lines affect each other... What my PC does in the Dark Ages could effect how Malachite's has to deal with a later threat. Did I succeed or fail, does that failure affect her standing or provide her with an ancient enemy. Does my success make one of her Elders owe her a boon in my name that's gone uncollected for centuries...

I've done all this at a TT, but this environment is not easy, but it provides a bonus I didn't have at the table... a permanent catalog that can be reviewed. I had to remember who did what to who and when, and who that person knows, etc...

I do think there should be a few character rules...

1. Character must be new and original and not currently in play in another game. (I think the board has hit its quota for 'Adrian's' in play ATM, and the recycled PCs with the same old stories just new powers is getting old too...)

2. If there are two PCs in different time lines, those PCs should be separate. You are not your own childe or sire, your own son, daughter, distant cousin, etc... you do not know of your past PCs deeds and legends just because he's your PC. He was a separate guy who didn't do all that shit 'just for you'. If they become a particularly well known (Super) you can research the things they did like anyone else, providing you know what to look for.

3. You should not be another players son, daughter, childe, sire, second cousin twice removed. Siblings might be feasible, but then we'd end up with at least two or three sets of twins, I just don't buy it.

PCs should all be their own people with their ties away from the other PCs.

I'm voting for historical of some sort, I would be happy with most of the options flying around, Dark Ages or Victorian would be particularly fun. I have to admit, since almost all of the games on the board (or at least, admittedly, the ones I'm in) are either modern or sci-fi oriented, I would prefer to pass on a modern game. I'd play in it.. but I wouldn't prefer it.

Rev's idea is also intriguing, with having two storylines, although it could possibly pose my work for the ST (sorry, Mods), and possibly create more limits with character interactions, as far as people who are thinking of playing one but don't have time to play two. I've noticed in some of the open world forums (or at least, in 200X, which is the only one I'm in), lack of characters with the opportunity to interact is kind of a problem, and possibly splitting the pool of players into half and half, or some other ratio like that, could cause some difficulties. Having everyone in the same time bracket would probably create more opportunities for character interaction.

But that's just IMHO.

Rev - I second your idea - it's a variation of what I suggested. My idea was just very raw in concept, I didn't want to provide 'loopholes' for people to do in the past whatever damn they please because their PC still lives in the present time line.

Remember that death doesn't necessarily mean the end of all things or is the harshest of all judgements. There should be things far more dreadful in the oWoD than a simple death sentence.

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
Brenna = my wife, finally lured her onto the site, yay!

Double yay and welcome Brenna!

My idea, admittedly, would be a pain in the ass to pull off properly. Took two years of TT gaming, 11 notebooks, and a metric fuckton of post-its. But oh was it worth it.

This time you aren't alone. If we can manage to coordinate this stuff amongst the mods it should work out. Since you already got some experience with it, it shouldn't be that difficult to learn how you did it and maybe even improve it so it can work on the boards.

Btw - that was your 666st post firedevil

First off, hey Brenna. Weclome aboard.

1. Character must be new and original and not currently in play in another game. (I think the board has hit its quota for 'Adrian's' in play ATM,

Craptastic. Why do I get singled out for this?

3. You should not be another players son, daughter, childe, sire, second cousin twice removed. Siblings might be feasible, but then we'd end up with at least two or three sets of twins, I just don't buy it.

I'm actually a fan of having ties with others PC's going into a game. It happens enough in games to be valid and not many people use it. I don't think it should be banned.

So how's the vote on the time peroid(s) going?

I'd be happy to do the two characters in two periods thing.

I guess that would mean 3 sub-forums - one for each period and one for the stuff that applies to both, but I guess that's a detail for Chosen and/or the Mods wink

Another thing to consider is where in the world would it be mainly set? US, Europe, Britain, elsewhere?

1. Character must be new and original and not currently in play in another game. (I think the board has hit its quota for 'Adrian's' in play ATM,

Quote:
Craptastic. Why do I get singled out for this?

You didn't, you just conveniently cut off the rest of what I said.

Quote:
I'm actually a fan of having ties with others PC's going into a game. It happens enough in games to be valid and not many people use it. I don't think it should be banned.

Ties is one thing, you can be your own person and still have ties. My suggestion is to cut down on the "Hey I'm a Vamp, this is my sister the Mage, and our cousin over there is a Werewolf that has our Dad from the Underworld on seepd dial... this way we have complete justification for 1. tapping possible genres for information, 2. justifying running circles around other PCs, 3. calling on the resources of all books to aid/benefit of one particular player.

I've seen it done, and the justification is always a lame ass excuse at best.

I'm not against characters being related, I've played twin Werewolves, and twin Vampires before, but I think that the amount that should be accepted should be limited to 1 pair and that pair should need to be approved.

The Sarah/Amber thing is a example. It's well played, and it's not too over the top. It is however NWoD where the Vamp/Were Feud doesn't seem to exist anymore...

Ties is one thing, you can be your own person and still have ties. My suggestion is to cut down on the "Hey I'm a Vamp, this is my sister the Mage, and our cousin over there is a Werewolf that has our Dad from the Underworld on seepd dial... this way we have complete justification for 1. tapping possible genres for information, 2. justifying running circles around other PCs, 3. calling on the resources of all books to aid/benefit of one particular player.

I've seen it done, and the justification is always a lame ass excuse at best.

We can avoid those kind of "ties" if the mods work well together. If we get like 3 to 5 Mods that check back on each other and make sure that there's no such bullshit we should be on the safe side.

1. Character must be new and original and not currently in play in another game. (I think the board has hit its quota for 'Adrian's' in play ATM, and the recycled PCs with the same old stories just new powers is getting old too...)

Whole quote inclued, and only my name is used, thus me stating that I'd been singled out. argeofftopic

I have a few question about what Supernatural types are and aren't allowed in the game...

1. Since all of the "base" creatures are allowed (Except for mages apparently), are derivitive creatures allowed as well, (Published Bloodlines for Vamps, published Were-whatevers for WW and so on)?

2. Are Non-Standard characters and Supernaturals allowed? I'm specifically thinking I'd like to play a Mummy but what about Hunters and Mortals?

3. Will fan created material be allowed (even if there is a review process) or is it off limits?

Originally Posted By: Noah Weston
I have a few question about what Supernatural types are and aren't allowed in the game...

1. Since all of the "base" creatures are allowed (Except for mages apparently), are derivitive creatures allowed as well, (Published Bloodlines for Vamps, published Were-whatevers for WW and so on)?

I'd vote yes and Mages should be included if Paradox is monitored which Rev already volunteered to do.

2. Are Non-Standard characters and Supernaturals allowed? I'm specifically thinking I'd like to play a Mummy but what about Hunters and Mortals?

I'm not so sure about this - I think I'd rather abstain or would vote against it if asked.

3. Will fan created material be allowed (even if there is a review process) or is it off limits?

A clear "no" (i. e. not allowed) from me if put to a vote.

I think we have a strong push for Dark Ages, although I'll say the Georgian Era idea was also intriguing to me. smile

As for non-standard characters, I believe it's been addressed a little as Dawn stated that werewolves and other were creatures all counted for one type. Keep in mind, though, that Hunters are a modern-only venue (at least the Reckoning ones are) and while I'm not sure on Mummy I think they weren't particularly active in the Dark Ages. I don't know that that would disqualify someone from playing one, that'd be a Mod call.

For player created content I'm with Joani on the big-ass NO! Most of it's not balanced to the game and just total cheese dickery. Beyond that, it's a pain for Mods to have to comb through it and figure out if it fits in their game, is balanced to everything else, and won't bite them in ass later on.

I'd like to see all original characters as well, as much for not mixing up which character has done what in which game/board as for just seeing people interacting in new ways and creating new, dynamic stories.

Also, I'd rather stick to one timeline for simplicity and sanity. Things get complicated enough with chronology due to the lag time in posts and new threads on this kind of gaming interface (PbP).

Archived