[IC]Trial by Fire

Callum O'Connell

Callum found himself yet again in the clearing at the top of Buck Hill. As usual, Aislinn was there, lounging in the afternoon sun with her eyes closed but Callum knew better than to believe that she wasn’t already aware of him. He’d learned the hard way several days ago that Aislinn’s sense surpassed his own. She shifted as he approached and one lizard-like eye opened to assess him. She shifted her bulk and the sunlight glittered off her scales. Aislinn was a dragon straight out of myth. She was somewhere between the size of a horse and a station wagon with a long neck and tail. She had bony ridges running down her back, starting from the top of her head and running to the tip of her tail, which ended in a spade-like bony wedge. She flexed her wings and spoke in her lyrical, sing-song voice.

“You are early today Callum. That pleases me,” She said and then nodding her head at the plastic bags he carried She asked. “You’ve brought me something, yes? Is it more of that wonderful Pizza?”

Aislinn was up and moving before Callum could react. She was surprisingly swift for a creature her size and she encircled the young man, her tongue tasting the air around him. “Actually I thought I’d introduce you to something else,” He said as she finished her exploratory circuit and settled herself back down in front of him, lowering her head to his eye level. Callum pulled a wrapped object out of one of the bags and unwrapped a soft-shelled taco from a very familiar wrapper. Aislinn’s tongue was immediately out, tasting the air, before gently wrapping around the offered junk food and pulling it into her mouth and devouring it “This is a taco,” Callum said. “From Taco Bell. They have other stuff too, like burritos and nachos and stuff.”

Aislinn rumbled her pleasure at the new gustatory experience and all talk ceased while Callum unwrapped enough cheap Mexican food to feed a busload of kids as Aislinn happily indulged in some of the worst food mankind has to offer. When she was finished her binge Callum asked “So what’s on the agenda tonight? You drilling more ancient history into me or am I getting the crap beat out of me again?”

“Neither,” She said, licking her chops for any remaining morsels of the junk food. “While I had originally planned for you to teach me about man’s science tonight, something more important has come to my attention.” She said the word ‘science’ like it was a simple subject, easily picked up in an evening’s discussion; Callum was secretly relieved she’d found something else for him instead. “I have come to learn that the threat of the Titans has cropped up close by. At this address is a school where your young are trained to be warriors. Some of the Titans’ spawn seek to elicit oaths of loyalty to the Titans from those in training in exchange for secrets of combat no mortal man should have.” She scratched an address in the dirt with one of her massive claws.

“And you want me to what? Stop them?” Callum asked.

“Yes.”

He sighed, unease filling him “And how am I suppose to do that?”

Aislinn stared at him like he was stupid. “That is entirely up to you. I suggest killing them.”

Callum rolled his eyes at her and struck a defensive bitchy pose. “Oh sure, that’s so helpful! Can you at least tell me what they are?”

“It is your job to find out Callum. I cannot give you the answer,” She said apparently unruffled by her student’s attitude and tapped her claw to the brooch pinned to his shirt. “Remember that I am never far away. When you know more I may be able to give you further advice. Now go.”

Callum sighed and got up to head back to the car. He whistled sharply and shortly Fiachra burst out of the underbrush, jogging to his side. Apparently he had yet to capture the dastardly squirrel he’d set his sights on when they‘d first arrived. “Let’s go boy, it looks like we have some homework tonight,’ He said as he scratched the dog’s ear with affection. As an afterthought he turned back to the graceful dragon. “Say, why did you have me come out all this way anyway? You could just have easily told me all this through the brooch.”

“Ah,” Aislinn said sagely, “But then who would have brought me the Tacos of the Bell?”

Callum sat in his car across the street from the address Aislinn had given him. He’d gotten there about an hour before closing after a quick trip home to pick up a few essentials for the nights work…whatever that work turned out to be. He had his mother’s gun, a 9mm, some lock picks from his days as a sneak thief, and a couple of flashlights.

God only knows where his mother had gotten the gun but Callum suspected it had come from one of the Donnelly’s, after that break-in 3 years ago. The thought of his mother beating some dumb ass robber half to death with a baseball bat still brought a smile to his face. Apparently she went out a got a gun for protection the very next day. Callum thought she didn’t really need one with her bat skills.

He watched as the last of the students left for the evening, they all looked normal to him but considering he had no idea what to expect, Callum wasn’t sure what to do. He continued watching for a bit as the instructor, an average looking Asian man closed up shop and headed out. Callum though for a moment as he watched the man cross the street and get into a car; his choices were simple. He could wait until the guy drove off and snoop around a bit, or he could follow this guy and see where went.

In the end Callum decided to follow the man. If he turned out to be a red herring he could always come back and scope out the school, dojo, whatever later. He let the man pull out a bit ahead of him before starting the car. “Wake up sleepyhead,” He called back to Fiachra who had been dozing in the back seat. “The chase is on.”

[Callum, Tailing, Success]Under the cloak of night following the man was rather simple for Callum in the busy traffic of the Boston streets. The night's darkness stripped away things like colors, and visibility making Callum's car nothing more than another pair unrecognizable head lights in his rear view.

From Chinatown he tailed him and after crossing over Harvard Bridge, not too far from the university, the man turned into a four story, independent parking garage that connected to no other neighboring buildings.

Callum pulled into the parking structure and slowly cruised along keeping an eye out for both his quarry's car and any video cameras keeping security.

Click to reveal..

Perception + Awareness

1d10=3, 1d10=1, 1d10=9

1 Success

He wasn't sure of the cameras but the Asian man's car lights were quite visible. Callum drove past the man as he parked and found a spot half way to the next level. Parking quickly he got out of the car and looked at Fiachra. "Stay," he said quietly before sneaking back towards the man as fast as he could without giving himself away.

Click to reveal..

Dexterity + Steath (1 Epic Dex)

1d10=6, 1d10=6, 1d10=2, 1d10=4 +1 Auto-Success from Epic Dexterity

1 Success

Across the street, Nick leaned against the wall and ate his sandwich as he watched the city go past. He'd finished jogging a while ago and was relaxing after having recovered his athletic bag and the meal contained therein.

Nick glanced at a car and smelled Clover and Cut Grass and heard the Creaking of Wood. He considered, *Well, that's a new one. I don't recognize his ancestory... let's just see what he's up to, maybe introduce myself.*

Nick watched to see what level this new Scion would stop at, then picked up his bag and crossed the street. Moving rapidly up the stairs to the same level he noticed the new Scion was sneaking back down. *Change in plan. He's on the prowl. Let's just see what he's up to.*

Click to reveal..
Two Rolls, first is Aware (mostly to find Collum again) and Second is Stealth (to follow him). Both have an extra auto-suc on the end and both are 6 dice.

6d10.hits(7) [6,7,1,4,10,4] = (3) +1 auto => 4 Sux on aware

6d10.hits(7) [8,1,9,10,7,7] = (6) +1 auto => 7 Sux on stealth

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2132581/

The echo of the man's shoes seemed louder than the traffic if the streets outside the open garage, a strange phenomena when one attention if focused on a single person, or object; the world about you bleeds away...

[Awareness, Man, Failure]He looked back once or twice, seeming more nervous with every step he took. There was only a single close call and Callum barely managed to duck behind a vehicle in time.

Parked at an angle in the corner of the level was a gray van marked "Early Bird Cleaners" that depicted two dark colored birds holding aloft a clean shit in their beaks by its sleeves.

The door slid open suddenly and several men stepped out, seven in all. The man approaching took a step back, fearful for a moment as the men dressed in black with cheesy vests and large rimmed sunglasses all stepped around him to prevent his escape. All in all they looked like really poorly dressed Asian guys from a cast off 80s gang flick.

"W-where are-" the man stuttered.

"Jimmy and Billy had other things to do," one of the ruffiens replied in a terribly thick accent. "We're to discuss your lack of payment this month. Excuse?" He gripped the man's collar and slid his glasses down to look the man in the eye.

The victim swallowed hard and mustered his courage. "T-t-tell them they'll get nothing more from me. I refuse to pay, a-a-and I w-w-want out..."

Callum watched through a few windows in a shadowed section of the garage, unnoticed while everyone attention was focused on the foolishly brave man.

Hearing the echoing talking and tipped off by Callum's own prowling Nick hunched low as well keeping himself in the shadows of the garage.

Callum watched from his hiding place and his anger rose. The one thing he couldn't abide was bullies. Normally his ire was reserved for gay bashers but this situation was just wrong. Common sense told him to stay hidden, these guys looked human, not like monsters and ths was a scene out of some mob movie.

Callum stood up. Fuck common sense he thought. These guys were going to kill the man and he still didn't know what his connection to the Titanspawn Aislinn had sent him after.

"Hey!" He yelled out as he hopped over the front of the car, one hand on the hood. "Unless your looking for an ass kicking, you'll put that guy down, get in your van and drive out of town!"

Callum strode confidently across the lot to stand about 10 feet away from the van. "So what's it gonna be? You gonna let him go or am I gonna kick your teeth in." His voice was grim, with no hint of humor.

Click to reveal..
Intimidate roll

Charisma + Presence (1 Epic Charisma)

1d10=1, 1d10=7, 1d10=7, 1d10=7, 1d10=3, 1d10=4, 1d10=1

4 Successes

The men, shocked for a moment, quickly found humor in the situation. The looked to one another and chuckled, even a few pointed at him in the typical 'check this dumb ass out' gesture while shaking their heads.

[intimidation, Failure]The 'leader guy' grappled the victims shirt and tossed him effortlessly against the van, hard. The 'boom' of the impact echoed nicely as the poor, dazed man fell helplessly to the cement floor.

"You got beef white boy?" He asked Callum, before looking to his 'boys'. "Gut this fool."

The six remaining thugs all grinned. A couple were holding knives, wicked looking ones at that, and began their approach. Callum noticed a couple were not quite up to gutting him, maybe his intimidation attempt was successful after all...

Click to reveal..

Join Battle guys...

Baddies got 3 Successes.

Seeing where this was going Nick considered drawing his gun but instead reached in his bag and got his stick out. Then he moved closer... but just as he was fumbling for his badge the other Scion stepped out and the fight started. *Well, I guess that settles whether I'm fighting him AND the others.*

Nick boomed out, "Police! Drop them!" and moved to support the other scion.

Click to reveal..
Join Battle (1 Epic Wits)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2134442/

6d10.hits(7) [2,9,4,1,10,7] = 4 + 1 auto => 5 Sux

Tick 2, Next action Tick 6

Nick urgently said to the other Scion, "Got your left Cousin." *The last thing we need is to fight each other if we're on the same side.* Nick picked the closest thug closing in on him and hit him hard with his night stick.

Click to reveal..
Tonfa (Night Stick): Acc 10[1], Dmg 5[1]B, Parry DV 7, Spd 4

Spend one Legend for Untouchable Opponent, Base Dodge DV is 8 (not 7)

Current DV should be 7 (Dodge -1 because of attack?)

(Will Assume these are generic thug template, thus DV 2)

10d10.hits(7) [7,3,7,5,1,9,4,1,8,10] +1 Auto = 7 sux

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2135517/

Damage is Bashing, 5 over to hit, so 10[1]

10d10.hits(7) [10,4,8,5,3,10,9,9,1,9] +1 Auto = 9 sux

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2135518/

Willpower Pool: 7/7; Legend Pool: 3/4; Legend: 2/2; Clip in gun is: 6/6

Nick's Profile: http://www.rpg-post.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/149653/Scion_Nick_Mubarak.html#Post149653

Tick 3, next action Tick 7

Callum flicked a glance at the cop who’d showed up and instantly smelled the dry dusty smell and heard the rush of wind. Great another friggin’ Scion He didn’t have time to ponder what pantheon this one was from as the gang members were closing fast. Callum chose his target and gave a quick snap kick to the man’s chest as a test. He had Heartseeker in his hand but wasn’t about to start cutting unless they tried drawing blood first.

Click to reveal..
Unarmed Light: 6[1] Acc, 4B[1] Dam, 4 Parry DV, 4 Speed

Attack Roll, Assuming DV of 2

1d10=2, 1d10=8, 1d10=10, 1d10=10, 1d10=2, 1d10=5 +1 Auto Success

6 Successes

Damage Roll = 4 Successes over DV

url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2135723/]1d10=7, 1d10=4, 1d10=8, 1d10=9, 1d10=8, 1d10=3, 1d10=6, 1d10=4 +1 Auto Success

5 Successes

Willpower: 6/6, Legend: 2/2, Legend Points: 4/4, Clip in gun is 15/15

Current DV is 4, Soak is 5B/2L

Tick 4, next action Tick 8.

[Nick] The night stick crashed down into the thug's blocking arms, his wrists snapped and the cudgel connected cleanly with his head, dropping him in a single blow.

Click to reveal..
Fatebinding...

(Fate) rolls 2d10 and gets 10,1.

2 Successes. Failure.

[Callum]Henchmen just didn't hench like they used to... with a quick pivot his foot slipped past the thugs defenses and connected with his jaw. Blood splattered as teeth came loose...

[Thug 1 & Thug 2] With the fall of their shattered comrade the gang members closed in on Nick with vengeful valor. One leapt up and swung his foot up around to Nick's head, but the Officer was to fast, his thick forearm effortlessly deflected the assault in time to catch the second attack from his ganger ally, a straight punch that ended up caught in the "L" of Nick's tonfa. With his attack easily parried, Nick kicked the man in the chest to get some distance between him and his opponent...

[Leader Guy] "Die pig!" The gloriously titled 'Leader Guy' bellowed within the echoing structure of the 4th Deck of the parking garage. There was a 'click' that immediately made each Scion offer up priority to the new threat. Aiming his .38 special at the Officer a gun shot resounded through the enclosed space.

Invisible to all the bullet streaked from the barrel. Still thwarting his enemies in traditional 'Punk Thumping 101' fashion his running sweats were suddenly sheared by the passing of the bullet. His thigh burned and he winced slightly as the bullet barely grazed him.

[Thug 3 & Thug 4] Callum grinned as he flipped Heartseeker up against his wrist to prevent accidentally stabbing these morons. When they closed in another met a kick to the side of the head to stagger him, preventing his efforts to assault Callum all together as he held his face and regained his composure. As the second leapt forward to test his mettle, Callum side stepped his attack, gripped the back of his head and slammed his face into the trunk of the vehicle he was close to.

Having never took a step Callum was really starting to like this whole 'Scion' business.

[Hit with Tonfa Thug] Laid there, holding his wrist and whining in pain.

[Kicked in Face Thug] Bled. A lot.

Click to reveal..

A= Leader Guy rolls 6d10 and gets 1,6,10,2,10,6. (2) Hit.

D= .38 Special rolls 6d10 and gets 2,3,3,5,6,9. (Soaked)

(Bullets can not be dodged, or parried w/out a stunt. With Nick focused on his opponents, he is denied his DDV vs. the gun.)

Thug 1 rolls 7d10 and gets 1,3,3,6,1,7,2. (1) Miss.

Thug 2 rolls 7d10 and gets 4,8,10,7,2,2,10. (4) Miss.

Thug 3 rolls 7d10 and gets 2,2,2,2,5,8,5. (1) Miss.

Thug 4 rolls 7d10 and gets 10,5,3,10,5,4,8. (3) Miss.

All Thug DVs are currently 1

4 Thugs left, 1 Leader Guy left.

Tick 6, Next action Tick 10

Quote:
[Leader Guy] "Die pig!" The gloriously titled 'Leader Guy' bellowed within the echoing structure of the 4th Deck of the parking garage. There was a 'click' that immediately made each Scion offer up priority to the new threat. Aiming his .38 special at the Officer a gun shot resounded through the enclosed space.
Nothing pisses off a cop like a cop killer or attempted cop killer.

With a half snarl Nick leapt completely over one thug and beat down with his night stick on the 'Leader's face with all rage and extra momentum!

"Never! Draw! A! Gun! On! A! Cop!"

Click to reveal..
He's closer than 6 yards I think, technically this is a Move and not a Holy Bound Leap.

Tonfa (Night Stick): Acc 10[1], Dmg 5[1]B, Parry DV 7, Spd 4

+Fierce Blow! +3B, +1 Diff, -1 DV

Base Dodge DV is 8

Current DV should be 6 (Dodge -2 because of attack with FB)

vs. DV 2 (with the FB diff)

10d10.hits(7) [7,2,7,5,4,1,7,7,5,9] = (5) +1 Auto = 6 sux

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2136613/

Damage is Bashing, 4 over to hit, FB, so 12[1]

12d10.hits(7) [8,2,10,4,3,5,10,10,9,1,1,1] = 9 total (with auto).

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2136615/

Willpower Pool: 7/7; Legend Pool: 3/4; Legend: 2/2; Clip in gun is: 6/6

Nick's Profile: http://www.rpg-post.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/149653/Scion_Nick_Mubarak.html#Post149653

Tick 7, Next action Tick 11

Quote:
Callum grinned as he flipped Heartseeker up against his wrist to prevent accidentally stabbing these morons. When they closed in another met a kick to the side of the head to stagger him, preventing his efforts to assault Callum all together as he held his face and regained his composure. As the second leapt forward to test his mettle, Callum side stepped his attack, gripped the back of his head and slammed his face into the trunk of the vehicle he was close to.

Having never took a step Callum was really starting to like this whole 'Scion' business.

Just like riding a bycicle, Callum thought as his years of childhood kung fu classes came back to him. Add in a dash of street fighting from his time on the streets and Callum was more dangerous than he looked. Not wanting to let his advantage slip away, he pivoted on his foot and spun into a quick roundhouse kick to his next available opponent.

Click to reveal..
Unarmed Light: 6[1] Acc, 4B[1] Dam, 4 Parry DV, 4 Speed

Attack vs. DV 1

1d10=8, 1d10=9, 1d10=8, 1d10=2, 1d10=6, 1d10=4 +1 auto success

4 Successes

Damage, 3 Successes over DV, 7 Dice total

1d10=10, 1d10=7, 1d10=1, 1d10=4, 1d10=3, 1d10=10, 1d10=5 +1 auto success

6 Successes

Willpower: 6/6, Legend: 2/2, Legend Points: 4/4, Clip in gun is 15/15

Current DV is 4, Soak is 5B/2L

Tick 8, next action... none.

How Nick managed to leap six feet straight up and leap several yards horizontally from a complete stand still and not hit his head on the garage's ceiling (which is the standard 9 feet) was left for the Gods to determine... but it worked out well enough. He came down upon the leader and smashed the man with his nightstick.

Blood, teeth and sullied pride splattered against the side of the van as the thugs jaw snapped and shattered completely.

With no one covering them Nick's assailants ran as fast as the could, quickly followed by Callum's lone opponent who'd seen enough or one night. Watching his friends get handled so easily certainly worked wonders for his courage.

Click to reveal..
The remaining enemies are fleeing, combat is over unless you choose to chase them down.

"That's right bitches! Run!" Callum yelled at the retreating thugs.

He appraised the Scion before him, "I fine," he said as the adrenalin started to fade. "The Name's Callum." He turned to the man he'd been initially following and took a few steps over to him and helped him to his feet.

"I was following this fine gentleman to find out what bad things he's been making deals with," He continued. "So my fine kung fu teaching friend. care to spill the beans?"

Nick bent down and checked the 'leader' to make sure he wasn't dying, then he checked the thugs who had also been too weak to run.

Nick commented, "Pleased to meet you Callum. I'm going to have to phone this in, in a moment. We have like 5 minutes before the police arrive. Don't worry too much about that, this sort of thing happens all the time."

Nick replied, "We can't just leave these guys bleeding on the pavement for 'a while'. Besides... almost certainly anyone who shows up will be used to working with me. That's just how it works. We can do what we need to with them around if need be."

Callum sighed. He'd rather not have his buisness involve the cops but this Nick seemed sure of himself. "Fine," he said, trying and failing to hide his irritation.

He turned back to the old man and took in a deep breath before continuing. He needed this man on his side if he was going to get to the bottom of all of this. Finnaly he spoke to the man, trying to use a soothing tone to make him feel at ease and hopefully open up. "It's okay now. We aren't going to hurt you. What is your name?" He started. "Who are those thugs and why are they after you?"

Click to reveal..
Using manipulation + presence to put the man at ease and try to get him to open up.

1d10=3, 1d10=2, 1d10=1, 1d10=3, 1d10=10, 1d10=6

2 Successes

"W-who are you people?!?" The old man blurted out.

[Calming him down, failure] "N-name's Yin... Tom Yin." He manages to say as he shock of things die down a bit and he settles his heart. "You've no idea what you've done! More will come, they'll," he paused and his eyes grew large. "My family!"

He attempted to scurry to his feet, his dress shoes sliding clumsily upon the smooth pavement.

The old man's eyes darted about in worry for a moment. He calmed slightly, there was just something about these two that told him they spoke the truth. Still with filled with fear and worry he mumbled. "Triads. A small street gang of Triads who've been trying to force American business out of Chinatown and want us who teach martial arts to begin teaching the old ways... forbidden techniques. Their leaders, brothers, do not take no for an answer."

Nick thought, *Callum was following this guy, so he probably knows more about this than I do... I hope. I think it's pretty clear he's point-man and I'm support. Oh, and this guy is a martial arts trainer.*

Nick stated, "The old ways. You mean, the dark ways. Martial arts is supposed to be a tool of order. They're trying to pervert it."

Nick asked, "Who are these leaders, and do they have a direct hold on you?"

The old man looked perplexed by Nicks words. "Dark ways? What are you talking about? There is no light or dark, onl ya reflection of the soul. The power in the Arts is only as dark as the soul of it's user." He slapped Nick in the chest. "Now shut up, I explain. They're no seeking to twist the arts, they want to twist the souls. Blacken the hearts of young men and women and with them rule Chinatown!"

He shook his finger vigorously. "Jimmy and Billy Lee! Evil perverted men with dark hearts and black souls and terrible fashion sense. They have no hold on me, but they know my family and where I live, I must get home!"

Nick nodded, the old man's explanation made more sense than Nick's own, better still it spared him the burden of explaining "Titanspawn".

Nick said, "Wait! You should probably think of us as Jimmy and Billy Lee's opposite numbers. You shouldn't be trying to deal with them all by yourself, please, let us help. That's our job."

Callum pursed his lips as Tom spoke. This sounded exactly like what Aislinn had told him about. For a brief moment he felt bad about his earlier assumption that the man before him was a willing participant rather than an innocent victim, but he quickly shook that feeling off, glad that it had worked out for the better in this case.

"Tom," He said with strength and conviction. "Tell me where I can find these men and I swear an oath to you that they will toruble you no more after this night." Callum felt his Enech stir. While he was unable to bind Enech in to true oaths and Geasa, he could sense it's ebb and flow and new his simple oath to this man had stirred his own Enech and Fate would truly be watching.

"I-I don't know," the man stuttered. "They work through their gang members. I know them by rumor only, people talk, ya know?"

"But, please... come with me. I must see that my family is safe. You've done me a great favor and it's only proper I offer you hospitality as I explain things."

Nick looked around at the beaten up thugs they'd left on the pavement and then back at the old man. He walked over and handed both of them his business card saying,

"Where do you live? Callum, how about you go with him now and I'll deal with these guys and catch up in a half hour or so?"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Okay," Callum responded to Nick with a curt nod. To the Aisan man he said. "Go back to your car and I'll follow you back to home. We can figure things out from there and make sure your family is safe." With that Callum jogged back to his car, made a quick check on Fiachra. He slept through the entire incident. Callum started up his car and pulled it around to where he left Nick and Tom.

Nick rubbed his badge for luck and phoned in that he needed assistance and an ambulance. He'd have to catch up with the others, hopefully in a half hour, it depended on who was close enough to pick up his call.

{Summon Police Followers via badge}

Archived