[Plot] Love That Dirty Water (Amica & Kayleigh)

Ouroboros

June 16, 2009

Love That Dirty Water

The Emerald Necklace

The Charles River Esplanade

2858742-Charles_River_Esplanade-Boston.j

Spring and summer in Boston brings the rejuvenation of the trees, the growth of fresh grass and the return of green to the "Emerald Necklace". The Charles River Esplanade goes from drab grays and browns to vibrant green offset by the often surprisingly deep blue sky and the deep blue waters of the Charles River. By mid April the less hardcore joggers have returned to the banks of the river to run the Esplanade joined by bike riders, rollerbladers, and skateboarders and people walking pets or simply enjoying a leisurely walk. Amica was one of the latter. Her tour of the BU campus had ended and with the weather being so near perfect she decided to walk the block down to the river and take a walk. Warm and sunny there was just the hint of a breeze such that one was never too hot or too cold. The Charles was calm and its surface was broken only by the scullers and the occasional kayak or canoe.

Kayleigh paddled leisurely up the river in her kayak. Surfing in New England was a seasonal affair and spring wasn't the season. It did provide her the opportunity to explore the waters around the city from a rented kayak. The river she found had a reputation for bring dirty that did not match with reality, at least not entirely. She found it saddening that the water near the shore often had plastic Dunkin' Donuts cups floating in it, or the rainbow sheen of oil or gas from one of the many marinas. The surfer girl from California still longed for a legitimate wave but given the options available and the fact that the day couldn't be nicer certainly made the sedate pace bearable.

Amica frowned at the floating litter in the water, it boggled the mind how there could be trash on the ground and in the water when she had seen garbage and recycle bins spaced every few hundred feet along the walking path. She crouched on the edge of the grassy bank and fished the plastic out of the water. McDonald's soda cup, Dunkin's coffee cup, Poland spring bottle, another Dunkin's cup. The last thing Amica pulled from the water was a gray plastic cylinder. One end appeared to be a screw top and was missing, there was an oily residue on the capsule which cause her to make a face. She rotated her wrist to see the obscured writing and was greeted with a name she knew and loathed; Undine.

As she paddled on the diagonal up the lazy river toward the southern Boston shore Kayleigh spotted a young woman stooping over and pulling refuse from the water. Unexpectedly Kayleigh heard the sound of wind over dunes and the scent of dry sand, like the deserts of inland California. Instinctively she knew that the woman was in some way like her, was touched by one of the old gods. The sense was fleeting but it had been there and had been real, this woman, selflessly cleaning up somebody else's refuse, was a child of a god.

"Well hello, little fishy," Amica said softly to the tube, even as the skin on her arms pebbled with gooseflesh. "Or are you a worm on a hook?"

Her eyes narrowed as she looked up, looked around. Was anyone watching her? Was it coincidence that this thing came straight to her so clearly marked, or was it something meant to lure her out into the open? Of course, she couldn't rule out a nudge from Bast, or an act of Fate.

These questions got complicated fast for one born of a god.

But even if it WAS a baited hook and it WAS a trap...that didn't mean it wasn't an opportunity too. To get a mouse into the trap, you had to offer cheese. A quick enough mouse, a careful enough mouse and mutated enough mouse could perhaps steal that cheese, and maybe do more in the process.

So as Amica scanned for any suspicious characters watching, she started thinking of where she might go to get a chemical analysis done on the capsule.

Until today, Kayleigh's interactions with others of her kind, offspring of the very gods themselves, had been rather... limited. Only rarely had she ever gotten more than a faint impression, perhaps a scent or sound that seemed out of place, before the unknown Scion moved out of the range of perception. To be able to pinpoint and identify one, even if she couldn't place the unfamiliar sensations with a particular immortal or pantheon, was an opportunity not to be missed.

It took only a few easy strokes to nudge her fluoro-orange kayak toward the woman on-shore, lifting one hand in a wave as its momentum sent the tiny craft gliding lazily forward.

"Hey!" the blonde called out brightly. "Hey, you want some help with that?" It was good to see someone else taking an interest in the river, and the detritus that littered the shoreline; that this "someone" happened to be a godling like herself was an added bonus.

Amica saw her coming a mile off, of course, and watched with a hand shading her eyes as she paddled over. A phantom smell rose up in her nose; one she'd smelled before since coming to Boston.

Well well well, another demigoddess. Is this yours, I wonder?

She lifted the little capsule and waved back with it.

"Sure! Come on over!"

There were risks, of course, in playing too nice...for all she knew there were some nasty gods allied with Undine, and this was their earthly servitor. Even if that was so though, Amy at least wanted to know her face.

And if it wasn't so; if that face were genuinely friendly, well, that was even better.

As Kayleigh drew closer she called, "Nice boat," with an easygoing grin.

"Thanks!" Kayleigh responded in kind, taking a few extra moments to find a relatively clear spot to disembark and dragging the kayak out of the water. "Apparently, 'oh god, please don't shoot me' orange is all the rage now." She turned and wrinkled her pert nose unhappily; the scattered litter wasn't the worst she'd seen, but even a little trash made life difficult for fish, waterfowl, and all the other creatures that made use of the water or called it home. The paddle swung loosely in her hand as she glanced back at the kayak, making sure it wasn't moving before looking at the other Scion more closely.

The woman was pretty, she decided, but not ridiculously so; if not for that brief moment of supernatural recognition, she probably would have pegged Amica as just another college student with an eye toward changing the world.

"Ick," she grumbled. "Wish I'd brought some gloves, or something."

Having said that, Kayleigh set the paddle aside and reached into her shorts pocket, retrieving (after a moment of wiggling and making strange faces) a large black plastic trash bag. Instead of making with the small talk, she took a cue from what she'd seen paddling toward shore, and just started gingerly plucking trash first out of the water, and then off the bank itself.

Amica watches the other scion with bemusement for a second. Had she really come over just to pick up trash? After a second she remembers the little trinket she'd found and decides that'd be a good 'test.'

"I'm Amy," she says to the other woman. "And...you might want to think twice about splashing around in the river right now. Look what I found."

With that she holds out the open plastic tube for the other scion to see, with the logo pointing out.

"There's probably more of these in there, and gods only know what's in 'em."

"Hi, Amy," the other woman replied with a smile. She made a curious, stilted gesture with her free hand, as if reaching out and then thinking better of it. "Sorry, hand-shaking's probably not a good idea now, huh? I'm Kayleigh, Kayleigh Fischer."

As Amica held out the gray plastic tube, confusion flickered in the big turquoise eyes of the sea-god's daughter.

"Someone dumped a bunch of bank teller canisters?" There was a pause, and she shook her head a bit sheepishly. "Sorry, lack of filter between mouth and brain. What is that, anyway?"

Amica looked at the canister, realizing that she really didn't KNOW what it was. It seemed too small to store hazardous wastes. What would they use something this small for?

"Well...actually, I was going to ask someone about that. But it was sitting in an oily patch, you know? Kind of a slick on the water over it. And this company has a really bad track record."

She looked up to meet Kayleigh's eyes. This was kind of going for broke. "It's one of those really titanic companies, you know?"

"Really titan...ic..." Kayleigh repeated, her voice trailing off as she narrowed her eyes slightly.

Okay. She obviously knows more about this "Undine" than I do. No big surprise, especially if it's a local company. But if it does have something to do with the Titans, and that's not a figure of speech, this could be seriously bad mojo.

"Okay. Something tells me we'd better start over." She straightened with a smile, this time having the presence of mind not to try extending a hand. "I'm Kayleigh Fischer, daughter of Poseidon."

OOC: This was meant to have gone up last night but I was kinda out of it. Anyways here you go.

Amica held up the vessle and the two were able to get a closer look at it as she shook the leaves and reeds that had been clinging to the container off. It was perhaps three inches wide and about eight tall, roughly the same size an "extreme" size soda bottle. The Undine name was embossed on the side of container, pressed, or more likely, molded into the plastic when the bottle was formed. Turning it on end they could see the recycle triangle around the number three.

Click to reveal..
A successful science check will reveal that the material of the bottle is polyvinyl chloride (PVC) common material for drink containers and also widely used for waste water containment and piping due to its chemical resistance especially compared to its pricing.

With three or more successes you will know that Polypropylene and Polyethylene are both more resistant materials in the long term but are more expensive as well.

Poseidon. That worked with the kayak and all.

Amica coughed and looked around furtively...still not used to talking about stuff like this. "Amica Mason," she said. "Bast."

She always felt self-conscious saying her true mother's name, as if it would echo loudly and everyone nearby would hear it. She wondered if Bast could hear when her name was spoken no matter where she was.

Then she added, "She's Egyptian. Cats. Some other stuff." By and large, the Gods of the Nile didn't have the exposure in Western culture that Greek gods did. She didn't want to take it for granted that Kay would recognize the name.

"Sorry. It still feels weird just saying it out loud." She smirked a self-mocking smirk and rubbed the back of her head.

"Anyway, I guess I'm probably overreacting, because now that I look at this thing again, it looks like just a drink bottle...but I'd definitely recommend staying away from it if you see it in a vending machine. Back in my home town Undine was involved in dumping toxic waste...and they tried to kill me."

She left out the part about her dad. Way too personal at this point.

"Wow." Kayleigh winced sympathetically. Toxic waste and attempted murder? Highly uncool.

"Still, at least your Mother sounds pretty cool. I think I remember seeing some statuettes of Her in a museum back home. Neat stuff! There was another lion Goddess too, I think. Kinda crazy how we all ended up with Parents from these exotic far-off places, huh?"

There was an odd emphasis on certain of her words, rendering them with audible capitalization. She grinned again, the corners of her bright eyes crinkling.

"Heck, I've never even been to Greece, and I'm pretty sure the closest Johanna ever got was having a gyro once or twice."

Glancing at the container again, and the unpleasant, oily slick on the surface of the water near the shore, Kayleigh sobered a bit.

"I'm not sure that's a soda bottle, though. I mean, at least I've never seen one that shape, and it's kind of opaque. I've gotta admit, I'm curious what might be in it. I'm not really sure how this whole, 'divine child' thing works yet. Do Titans get offerings, too? Could be something like that, I guess, since this seems like a weird place to just dump a little can of mutagenic ooze, or whatever it is. Then again, just popping the lid off might not be a great idea. I'm not sure how well I'd handle radiation, or acid, or flesh-eating viruses."

She paused, apparently to catch her breath after uttering that entire rant in one exhalation, and then looked over at the Scion next to her.

"So. Whatcha think?"

"Well, first, if this was nerve gas or ooze, we'd be outta luck, because it didn't have a cap when I found it."

She turns the tube around so Kay can see the open end of it.

"But it has some kind of residue on it too. I was going to see if I could find someone who knows how to analyze this kind of thing. Maybe check down at the university or something. I need to swing by there anyway."

Amica shrugged, not sure what else to say. She wasn't used to discussing her plans in detail. "Honestly, kind of playing it by ear here. Know anyone who knows anything about chemistry?"

"Mmm, not so much," Kayleigh frowned. "Not the scientific variety, anyway. Up until about a month ago, I lived on the opposite coast, so I really don't know anyone here. Like, at all. The housemates are cool, but apart from them, I've really only met the guy who delivers Chinese to my place, and the one who runs the kayak rental."

OOC: per request I will try to be little more pro-active than my normal re-active GM style.

Amica regarded the bottle again frowning at the stamped name. She looked around and located a nearby trashcan and walked over to throw the other refuse out, no need to carry it all around. As she did she saw a plastic label in the reeds a couple of yards closer to the trashcan. Rolling her eyes she went back for the label and found that it was the same gray color as the Undine bottle.

Originally Posted By: Label
NEW! TITAN! MONSTER ENERGY! Specifically formulated for bodybuilders! Energy drink and protein shake in one!

Amica frowned and pushed the label around on the bottle until she discovered that it wrapped around it just about right. She looked up at Kayleigh and held the newly be-wrappered bottle out for the other girl's inspection.

"Nevermind. I think my scientific genius has cracked the case."

"Hey!" Kayleigh exclaimed suddenly. "I've seen that! One of my housemates is dating a guy who drinks it... It's supposed to have a ton of protein and vitamins and stuff. He swears by it, apparently. She was complaining about all the artificial crap that's probably in it... She, um, works at a whole foods store... And she said he's practically addicted to it now. I guess a rep came by the gym where he works out, and gave out some freebies."

By the time she'd finished babbling, her expression had slowly become a mask of mortification.

"Oh, crap. Do you think this stuff is dangerous?"

Amica looked back at the bottle. "If it was any other company, I'd say 'screw it' and throw it in the trash. And really, seriously, I guess not -everything- a company that size does has got to be some unholy plan from the enemies of the gods, you know? Sometimes an energy drink is just an energy drink."

"That said, we may as well poke our noses in and just see where it leads. These things usually have the bottling plant listed somewhere on 'em..."

She turned the label around, looking for bottling plant info.

Originally Posted By: Label
Bottled at:
Surtr Bottling
Framingham, MA

It wasn't much but it was a start and it was local. Framingham was little more than thirty minutes outside of the city. A quick search on Amica's iPhone turned up a street address and a set of driving directions from the area. The next question became obvious, What now?

Again the search function on her iPhone returned the distance and the fares for the local taxi company. The amount was appalling to say the least. Amica remembered that there were a few commuter rail stations in the area though and the fare was less than ten bucks for a round trip. The catch was of course the schedule, but if they could hurry they could catch the 1pm train and be at the bottling plant withing the hour.

Amica smiled impishly and shrugged. "It's okay. I've got an old beater we can use. Just checking. Come on."

She gestured for the other girl to follow and headed to where her old '00 Honda Civic was parked. "You need to change clothes or anything?"

Kayleigh glanced surreptitiously down at herself.

Shirt, check. Shorts, check. Sandals? Check.

It was a little sad, she thought as she caught herself actually looking to make sure she was dressed. Back home, she could do her grocery shopping after a day at the beach, and nobody thought twice about it. She supposed she'd get used to it, eventually, but in the meantime, she'd just have to keep double-checking herself to make sure she didn't go to the bank in a bikini.

"Clothes? Oh, no, I should be fine," Amica's new companion chirped brightly, then paused and glanced at the shoreline with obvious apprehension. "If we're driving, though, I've gotta take this back, or they'll charge me for an extra day... And I don't even wanna think about what it'd cost if somebody snagged it."

She chewed at her lower lip in consternation, glancing from the Civic to the kayak, and winced in apology.

"Would it be cool if I just met you up there at the rental place? Then we can go see if this energy drink is really soylent green or something."

"Sure, sounds good," Amica agreed. After getting directions to the rental place, she watched Kayleigh paddle off, then hiked back to her crappy old Civic and headed up and around to meet her.

On the way, she thought about Sapphire and Narinder. Another Scion would be of interest to Nari...and she was pretty, which would be of interest to Sapphire. But neither of them seemed like they'd be too into checking out a bottling plant on vague suspicions. Especially if there was danger involved. She'd check with Kay and see how she felt about meeting them before spilling her bean.

And so, with Kayleigh in the Amymobile and them off driving to Google-knew-where, she asked, "Hey, I've got a couple of friends like us that'd love to meet you. They're a...diverse crew, but a lot of fun. And you've got family ties."

The expression of wide-eyed awe Kayleigh directed at Amica would not have seemed out of place on a child watching her first fireworks display.

"Seriously? You know more of us? And I could meet them?! That is so awesome!" she exclaimed, practically beaming with excitement. "Man, I had no idea there were so many up here! I mean, it would've been cooler back home, but, still...!"

With a happy sigh, apparently completely unconcerned about the potential danger involved in their little road-trip, Kayleigh leaned her head back against the seat and watched the scenery roll by.

"I don't really know anybody here yet," she said a bit more quietly as she gazed out the passenger window. "So getting to know you, and maybe some of your friends, would be really nice. It's hard to talk about this stuff to regular people, y'know?"

"Yeah, I guess so," Amica acknowledges. "You know, it's funny...I never really wanted to talk about it before I came up here. Or even after, until I met Saph and Nari. It was like my own little secret world. I felt like one of those kids in the Narnia books. Like, sure, my job kind of sucks and I'm slacking off educationally, and I'll probably be working until I'm eighty...but fuckit, in Narnia I'm Queen of Summer and I have a magic castle and a sword and I beat Satan one on one in a card game to free the whole world from an endless parade of insipid Disney ripoffs of classic mythology. And you can't put it on a resume, but it's still pretty badass."

She shrugs. "But it's growing on me now, having people to talk about it with. And they're cool guys." Amica laughs suddenly. "Eccentric...but cool. I think you'll like 'em."

Kayleigh grinned broadly at the other girl's description, not a little impressed that she'd managed to string together so many disparate elements into her joke.

"Hey, you seem pretty cool, yourself," she retorted with a smile. "I mean, we're gonna sneak into some bottling company owned by this huge toxic-waste-dumping megacorp that tried to kill you and may or may not be using their newest product to do something weird to people, and Titans and/or their spawn may be involved... not to mention the possibility of jail time if we get caught. You'd have to be completely nuts, or completely awesome to even think about it."

Her shrug was dismissive, as if to say, "The evidence speaks for itself."

"Oh," she added, as something of an afterthought. She tugged thoughtfully at a loose strand of sun-streaked hair and asked, "Speaking of that, shouldn't we have some kind of plan? Or did you just wanna wing it? I'm cool with either."

"Got a plan," Amica replied cheerfully. "It's not overly complicated, but... Basically, I figured we'd set up somewhere out of the way but close enough to get a look at the place through my binoculars. We watch them for a while, see if there's guards and where they go, how often, when they change...all that. Draw a little map, find the cameras. See if we can get views from other sides without being too obvious about it."

"Then, by the time we're done casing the place, it should be just about nightfall. Under cover of moonlight we head in and see what's up. Maybe get some pictures, just in case it's bad news."

She looked over at Kayleigh. "Poseidon. So...that's water right? The sea and ocean? Have you learned any cool tricks like that?"

"Oh, heck, yeah!" the blonde chirped gleefully. "Well, I mean, really just the one, at least in the water, but it's awesome enough that I'd still be totally cool with it if I never learn any more."

With an impish, toothy grin, Kayleigh half-whispered, "I can breathe underwater. Can you believe that? Man!" She sank back against the seat again, laughing. "I so wish I'd found out about all this earlier. Would've made those first few wipe-outs a lot easier to deal with when I was a kid. Still," she amended, "I guess They know what They're doing when They drop in."

She mused over this point for only a moment before turning suddenly to look at Amy.

"What about you? Can you turn into a cat, or talk to them, or something? That'd be pretty sweet, too. I bet they could tell you all kinds of stuff."

"Actually, yeah," Amica says with a grin. "I can talk to them. And if you can get them to talk, they see a lot. But you pretty much have to bribe them to get anything out of them. I keep a lot of canned tuna at home so I can pay off my informers."

"So breathing underwater...that could be really handy. Coming in underwater would be a surefire way to get close without being seen if they're near a river or lake or something."

She glances over at her passenger. "I don't really see this as a fight, and if things go bad we should just run for it...but just in case, do you have anything to fight with? Any experience?"

For a moment, Kayleigh sobered, her eyebrows knitting together as she mulled over her answer.

"Well, I'm in pretty good shape, and I've taken some self-defense classes, so I guess I could probably hold my own as long as things don't get too crazy. And, if all else fails, I'll bet I can learn pretty quickly."

Her seemingly perpetual grin returned, and with her palms she drummed out a quick rhythm on the dashboard.

"Man, this is so much better than kayaking!" the beach bunny exclaimed excitedly, all but bouncing in her seat. "I hope we totally nail these guys!"

Amica nodded. "Me too."

The drive to the bottling plant was a bit less than half an hour, but Amy picked a spot to pull over before they got there. The neighborhood was a bit rough, a bit run down, but didn't seem dangerous as much as in decline.

The two walked past the plant once, like a pair of pedestrians on the way to something else. Amica affected a bored expression, and nudged Kayleigh when she caught the other girl staring a little too intently at the bottling plant. By then though they were nearly past, and no sane guard would associate a pair of teenage girls with anything threatening. Not yet at least.

"Alright," Amy said once they were past. "I'm thinking we can get to the roof of one of those apartment buildings over across the street there, then kind of hunker down taking turns watching the place. What do you think?"

(Don't have a description of the area around the plant, so I will edit this to reflect that description once we have it. :))

• 2 weeks later...

Kayleigh nodded enthusiastically, excitement fairly shining in her turquoise eyes.

"Sounds good to me! We should be able to get an idea of when they change shifts, see if they skip particular areas, and if they're actually paying attention, or just bored out of their minds."

The sea-god's daughter grinned at that, and followed close behind Amica with a jaunty bounce in her step that looked thoroughly out of place in the run-down neighborhood.

OOC: Map of Location HERE

The plant was on the south side of Framingham well away from the town center or the sprawling neighborhoods down in an industrial area. The plant itself looked unremarkable, a pair of connected large block shaped buildings that squatted in the midst of vast parking areas. Given the time of day the parking lots seemed rather empty, not that there were no cars just fewer than one would expect for a facility of this size, especially given how much empty space for parking there was. Across the street was an office building, its sign toting a Lawyer, Dentist, and an Insurance company among other things. The girls crossed there figuring that they would at least not look out of place.

The bottling plant was surrounded by chain link fence and the guard shack was maned by a squat gorilla of a man from what they had seen. They made their way to the roof access but unsurprisingly found the door to the roof locked. The keyhole stared back at them as though waiting for one of them to try something.

"Aw man, it's locked," Amica said jovially. "Guess we're boned. Didn't think that was gonna happen."

She reached back and took a little leather slipcase out of her back pocket. On opening the flap she revealed a row of six or seven little metal hooky things that looked like they'd been lifted out of a dentist's office. She eyed the lock, picked two out...then a third. The rest she handed to Kay.

"Hold onto these for a sec."

Amy squatted down in front of the door then and carefully poked two of the tools into the keyhole. She held the third in her mouth, like a pirate might hold a dagger.

Little metal scritching noises ensued, with the occasional scrape of a lock pin being pulled into place.

(Larceny! Rolling Dex + Larceny for 5 successes + 2 auto succ!)

(14:18:04) ChatBot: (Max) rolls 8d10 and gets 3,10,9,8,3,9,5,8.

(Let me know if you want me to roll a different pool or anything.)

The lock popped quickly and the girls were granted easy access to the roof in short order. It was a good day for it and they made their way to the edge of the roof looking across the street at the complex. They settled in with binoculars and a bag of drinks and snacks and waited, watching. The hours rolled by and the day gave way to evening and then to darkness. The majority of the workers were gone by five pm, the rest by six pm, with only the night staff remaining beyond that. The guard transitioned at seven pm and the facility sank into the quiet tranquility of routine off hours work.

OOC: 10's yield 2 sux BTW

• 2 weeks later...

"Alright," Amica said to Kayleigh. "Looks like it's dark enough to get started."

She took what looked like a mask formed into a stylized cat-face made of dark green stone from her backpack.

"I'm gonna get a look behind the walls real quick, and see where a good place to go over the wall is. Then we'll just head down there, sidle up to it...and over we go."

She looked up at the gibbous moon high in the sky. Silver light wrapped around her, cool and cleansing. It knew things, the moon. It saw things.

"Show me," Amica whispered up to it.

And suddenly she was looking DOWN at a wild patchwork of white clouds and dark black ocean. Lights were scattered across the continent like Christmas lights on a tree. Amy grimaced and swayed as she tried to adjust to the new view. Then as she zeroed in on the bottling plant she had to deal with vertigo...it looked as if she were falling. Plummeting through the atmosphere like a meteor.

There. The bottling plant wobbled a little unsteadily in her vision. Zooming in that much always made it a little touchy. But she had a perfect bird's eye view of the place, and used it to look for places on the far side of the wall that didn't seem to have anyone watching them...and perhaps even had some boxes or crates or other cover nearby they could get to quickly once over.

(Moon 1!)

• 2 weeks later...

Amica gazed upward into the moon and through it down to the facility. The perimeter, chain link fencing topped with barbed wire, surrounded the facility but there were multiple spots where it was well away from the buildings and bordered by thin woods or grassy scrub land long ago cleared but never built upon. Amica found little in the way of cover aside from the unevenly spaced cars in the parking lot. A pair of security patrols roved around in black SUVs making a circuit roughly every half hour.

Archived