[Open IC] Cold Tea [complete]

Arak Noak

OOC: Anybody who might plausibly hang out in Chinatown late at night is welcome to stop in.

OOC 2: In Boston the laws for bars stipulate that service needs to stop no later than 2 a.m. In Chinatown if you know to ask for "Cold Tea" after hours you will be given a tea pot and cups containing beer, regardless of the late hour.

June 13, 2009, 3:25 am

The Lotus Blossom was open late through out the week. Chinatown's proximity it the New England Medical Center and the theater district ensured that it could draw in business no matter how late the hour. It faced out onto Washington Street just past the corner of Kneeland Sreet. The dining room could seat perhaps forty people, but aside from a drunken pair of club goers at a table near the front of the room and a doctor or nurse wearing scrubs and quickly devouring a meal, Qiang and his guest were the only patrons.

Qiang picked up the tea pot and poured its contents, pale yellow and still containing some carbonation, into the cup. He set the pot down musing over the odd laws that created this very circumstance. Qiang nodded across the table, Georgie Chung reached into his jacket and pulled out a plain envelope. He set it on the table and slide it across to Qiang. Inside there was a thin stack of bills, Qiang's payment for mediating a dispute between the Triad and the local Mafia. Despite what the Mayor's Office, the BPD, and the FBI wanted people to believe organized crime in Boston still existed and business was good. Though Qiang had effectively removed himself from the Triad as a standing member he still carried the respect he had had as the Enforcer. He still needed money to pay the bills and while his accounts were still comfortably large he found it advantageous to use his ability to maintain a modicum of incoming monies. A spell Qiang referred to as "The Peace of the Jade Emperor" came in quite useful in mediating disputes between parties and he employed it at a fair price at the behest of the Triad or others frequently.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike skateboarded up to the entrance and quickly found himself a table to sit at. Putting his board no one of the other seats at the table he quickly moved things out of his way and set up his laptop. When the waiter appeared he ordered a Ginger based Green tea - to help keep him awake.

Normally he woould have crashed by now, but he had to choose his summer project and inform his tutor on Monday, which only gave him a couple of days to choose it and write a couple of paragraphs as an outline. Luckily his Scion Stamina enabled him to go without sleep for days at a time when necessary. He would have worked through the night at home, but it was disturbing the two cousins he shared the room with, and so he had come to this all-night place that he knew would be fairly quiet at this time of night.

Looking around the room as his tea arrived he spotted Qiang, but seeing that he was engaged in some kind of business he restricted himself to a nod when Qiang looked in his direction at one point. Having done so, he went back to his work.

Qiang nodded to Mike as the kid sat down and got to working on something. He smiled to himself at the irony of a Scion of the Monkey King being so devoted to study, it seemed wrong somehow. He shook his head and slipped the money into his jacket. "Is there anything else I can do for the Triad?" He was always careful always polite when meeting with his former associates. The boons he had demanded with the help of a touch of Fate magic had been very carefully worded. It had worked but the longer that Qiang remained on excellent relations with the Triad the better things would go once something happened to interrupt things.

Georgi shook his head, "No, we are doing very well Qiang, thank you for your continued service. We appreciate it, especially knowing that you were dismissed such as you were." Georgi was referring to the fact that the Dragon Head in New York, who controlled Boston at this time, had essentially dismissed Qiang from the Triad. The situation was an odd one, usually one did not leave the Triad alive, but thanks to a little magic Qiang had done just that. It would only become an issue if the Dragon Head and rest of the leadership decided that he still needed to die after all. Qiang was banking on the fact that if that happened he would have moved past the point that they could do him significant harm.

Qiang rose and after a low bow offered Georgi his hand, "I thank you then for the opportunity and wish you all prosperity." Georgi returned the bow and shook his hand before leaving. Qiang laced his fingered behind his back and stretched, joints popped as the stiff parts of his body loosened. He walked over to the younger man, a fellow Scion of the Celestial Bureaucracy, and sat down at his table, straddling a chair easily. "So ... another paper? I thought classes were done?"

Qiang smiled at the nickname, it was something that Westerners took the wrong way entirely. To them the snake was an evil creature, something to be distrusted. To his people the snake was a wise and mystical creature, an animal associated with health and regeneration. "Business is ... well I suppose that depends on the business you mean. Money is coming in fast enough to not be a problem as it goes out. The other business though, things are coming along in my studies, but I have not developed the kinds of ... of, damn what is the word?" Qiang paused as he thought about it, "Intrinsic! I haven't developed the kind of intrinsic abilities that you seem to possess."

Mike nods, "True, but then your studies have lead you much deeper into those areas you are interested in. Mine seemed to flow from or with the physical training I already had in gymnastics and Kung Fu. In other areas I have simply picked up a few basic things. If you feel the need I can set up some time to do some training with you and see what happens I guess? I know I could do with learning more of mythology and related subjects from you if you have the time."

Qiang nodded, "Perhaps. They say that teaching can often teach the teacher as well. Perhaps by training each other we may learn something new about our own power?" The waitress came by with Mike's ginger tea and Qiang, his stomach suddenly feeling empty asked for a menu.

Narinder strode down the block lazily, enjoying the warm night breeze on his face. He had been out that night, with a group from school who had talked him into checking out a new hip-hop club not too far from Chinatown. It had been an enjoyable evening, and Nari had found the company of Antoine's sister Yolanda and her best friend Aeesha particularly pleasant.

As the night wore on however, despite buying a few rounds to keep the boys in good spirits, he was starting to get some (thus far) good-natured grumbling about how much attention he was getting from the women in the club, so he'd politely made his excuses and bowed out for the night about a half hour or so later. As always, Narinder had known the line to walk between not enough and too much, and he'd still left with high-fives and slaps on the back from the guys, and a nice, long kiss from Aeesha that had made it particularly worthwhile.

But loud music and sweaty bodies had left him feeling a bit drained, so he had decided to unwind for a bit before turning in with a drink at the Lotus Blossom. Whether that drink would be "cold tea" or not, he hadn't quite decided. But it would be a nice way to finish off the evening.

He opened the door and smiled politely at the woman who motioned him inside welcomingly. His eyes flickered around the room out of habit and came to rest on Qiang and Mike, and he smiled warmly to them both as before even the smell of the tea or Asian spices permeated his senses he was hit with the strong scent of ink on parchment, and the quiet ruffle of silk that almost seemed to echo in double. The two Celestials had glanced up at the tinkling of the bell that announced someone else had arrived via the front door, and as they laid eyes on Nari, they could both hear the quiet murmur of crowds and smell the scent of olives being warmed in the sun drifting through the shop.

"Hey Nari, come join us!"

"The more the merrier, eh Snake?"

As Nari lowers himself into the chair that Mike pushes out for him, and Mike closes the lid on his laptop, he continues, "We were just discussing areas of additional training we could do with. Any areas you feel weaker in?"

"Well, things just got interesting..." Qiang's hunger was not being helped by the smell of olives and the sounds of an invisible crowd made the restaurant momentarily close. He held up his right hand the index finger and middle finger extended and angled away from each other; the so called "peace sign" was rather useful for the Chinese sorcerer and he used it to twist fate ever so slightly. The ward wasn't complex but it was effective; it would ensure that no violence erupted in this location by accident.

He had finished the spell when Mike called out to the new comer, "You know this Scion?" He looks up at the newcomer, dark skin and handsome features, and feels a stab of jealousy; Qiang would be plain among any group and at time he was acutely aware of that. To the newcomer he said, "I have just laid a ward upon this place and this meeting. If you mean no harm it will be of no trouble. You seem to know Mike, my name is Yueh Tian Qiang."

Click to reveal..

Spending 1 Legend to activate Peaceful Meeting spell (Ragnarok pg 44)

(21:58:09) ChatBot: (Qiang) rolls 5d10 and gets 8,9,10,6,9.

Result = 5 sux

Legend 15/16

"Ah yes, that is good, to have such a skill. Perhaps it would behoove me to learn it, as I very rarely mean harm, and do my best to avoid it whenever possible."

He winked at him then, and sat down in the chair Mike offered as he shook hands with the fellow college student first, and then the other Celestial.

"I am Narinder Kapoor, and I do indeed know Mike. It is good to see you again my friend, and a pleasure to meet you Mr. Yueh. And other than this useful ability of yours, I imagine the only thing I can think of tonight that I need additional training in would be how to dance with beautiful women and not make their men jealous. Otherwise I could still be dancing, hm?"

He grinned, and nodded to the woman who was taking their order. She walked over to them, and he greeted her with a polite "Hello" in Mandarin before ordering a pot of cold tea to start the evening with.

Qiang avoided frowning, "No," came his reply, more curt than he intended. He ordered off menu in Mandarin, a spicy dish that he knew the cook could prepare with some skill. Turning to Narinder he considered the other man for a moment. "Dodekatheon yes?" he whispered. "What brings you here this evening? Chance?" he asked the question hoping that the other man was here with a purpose and not at the whim of Fate.

He seemed a mistrustful sort, and Narinder decided to tone down the banter, at least for now. The jovial attitude he had adopted for the prior part of the evening seemed ill-suited to the current situation, and his face grew serious as he nodded slightly at the other man's inquiry about his origin.

"I am afraid so. Chance is not always the kindest thing to us, is it? But alas, there is is nothing we can do to avoid it, so perhaps we should merely pray we have not ruffled Fate's feathers recently, hm?"

Qiang nodded thinking back to his conversation with Huilang a fee days before. "Balance. Fate is the force by which the World directs the flow of Qi to balance the yin with the yang. Perhaps we are being drawn together for a purpose, or perhaps there is a purpose that requires that we not be present eh? The balance of the World is a tricky thing." The food came out and Qiang wasted no time in taking a bite. He nodded at the taste, "Balance of a proper Sichuan pepper sauce is equally difficult, luckily Moy knows his way around a Sichuan peppercorn."

"I think I like that second idea better, yes? Something for which we not be present - this sounds like a better plan to me, for tonight. Tell me, Qiang - does Moy know his way around a nice Ginger beef sauce? Good - then I think I shall have that."

He smiled flirtatiously at the waitress, and ordered - in only lightly accented Mandarin, with an apology for being such a difficult customer, and a promise that was only suggestive enough to not be improper, that he would "make it up to her" - the Ginger Beef and a bowl of egg drop soup.

After she had scribbled down his order with a smile and a shy laugh, she went to get his soup, and he motioned to Mike's laptop.

"You are busy with schoolwork? The semester is over, do you attend in the summer as well? "

“Now go get something to eat.”

It had been the last thing Aislinn had said to him after his latest ‘lesson’. Between the lessons in combat and his Divine gifts, the lessons in modern mythology and unsolicited tidbits of ‘wisdom’, Callum was ready for food and bed. Normally conscious about what he eats, he decided to splurge a little and have some junk food. After all, Aislinn’s sparring exercises made Marine boot camp look like a frat boy pool party, whatever carbs and fat he consumed wouldn’t last long in.

He cruised around downtown for a while but there wasn’t a lot open. Finally he settled on Chinese as he passed a restaurant called Lotus Blossom and as luck would have it a space opened up just in front of him. Something nagged at him about luck and happenstance, something Aislinn told him but he couldn’t remember at the moment so he shrugged it off. It was fairly quiet on the street, being close to 4 am, and as Callum stepped up to the front door he could see that the place was almost empty.

As he stepped through the door, Callum senses were instantly assailed by what he now recognized as the scents and sounds of other Scions. He smelt olive oil and old books while the sound of a murmuring crowd and the swishing of silk consumed his auditory senses for a moment. They were coming from a table with two Asian men and an attractive East Indian gentleman. It came back to him then, Aislinn’s words. “Chance and happenstance do not exist for the children of the Gods. If you find yourself in some seemingly random occurrence, then know that Fate, that which binds all things, has conspired to put you there.” He guessed the Asians were from the Chinese or Japanese pantheons; the other one he wasn’t sure though.

Mentally he swore and did a quick check of his person. He was still in his leather pants and jacket, which would act as at least some protection. The War-Hound Torc was around his neck and the Badge of the Storm-Dragon was pinned to his shirt, Black with the word 'Juicy' scrawled in big pink letters across his chest. Heartseeker was in its sheath, under his leather jacket. At least if something happened he’d be ready.

He stepped though the door, if Fate wanted him here there was no point in fighting it, and slowly walked to an empty table. Hey, at least he could get some good food.

The bell at the door tinkled and Qiang looked up. The scent of fresh cut grass assaulted his senses as soon as he saw the newcomer. "Don't look now but Qi has levied a further weight upon our side of the balance." Qiang sighed and shook his head, taking another bite of the spicy Sichuan beef. The dish had a peppery heat that gave way to an odd sort of numbness on the finish. He watched the man as he sat down at another table, neither paying them particular heed nor ignoring them outright. The Scion's mind recalled the past, brought to mind the two Scion's he'd already killed. Mentally he was glad that he had warded this place, it would ensure at least that if this was purely another chance meeting it would not erupt into violence.

Mike was already answering Nari when the door opened to another Scion, "You correct Nari, classes and the exams are over, but I have a paper to do over the summer and the I have to choose which one to do as well as provide an outline by Monday."

To Qiang's comment he could only shake his head and add, "Either some thing is bound to happen here, or there is something very big going down elsewhere that we were not wanted at. Did either of you recognise his pantheon?"

The pretty Chinese serving girl appeared beside his table and handed Callum a menu, he thanked the girl then looked over at the other Scions, nodding politely. A puzzeled look flickered over his face as he thought he recognized one of them but after a moment he went back to reading the menu before him. He was content to acknowledge the others and prayed their would be no trouble. Perhaps Fate was just introducing him to the other Scions in the city, afterall, his father did tell him that there were an unusually large number in Boston.

The girl came back and Callum ordered a hot and sour soup, and lemon chicken with rice. He relaxed and stretched his back and arm muscles to releave some of the tension his earlier workout had caused. Within a few minutes he had his food and was digging in with gusto.

Qiang nodded, "His is the gods of the Celts. They call themselves the Tuatha de Dannon and they have a way about them. They can manipulate Fate in certain ways to compel certain behaviors." Qiang looked sideways at the newcomer and saw him looking in their direction. He returned the stranger's nod, and then returned to his meal.

Click to reveal..

Occult roll

(14:58:59) ChatBot: (Qiang) rolls 5d10 and gets 7,8,4,10,10.

Result = 6 sux

"Mm.. well, I don't know that we have what you would call a special 'trick'. I suppose you could say that we excel at.. excellence. Do not misunderstand, I am not trying to brag. For with us it is one way or another. Much of history, our stories.. they are tarnished, you know? Not as noble, or as admirable as some. When a Greek falls.. he falls hard. Perhaps they could learn from my mother's people, they are more.. humble, I think."

Nari took a thoughtful sip of his "tea", then recalled what it actually was, and took a slightly larger drink. She shrugged slightly, and set the cup down, refilling it from the almost full pot.

"But those who do achieve greatness.. we achieve it like few others, and it is our heroes that much of the world has based many of their own myths and legends and stories upon."

Mike is visibly surprised by Nari's last statement, "I think you may be overstating you last point. Many cultures and Pantheons had established there myths and legends at around the same time or pre-dating the Greek period, and others had no contact with them in order for them to use the greek stories as a basis."

After a sip of his green tea he continues, "Regardless of that, you have some way of enhancing your skills then, is that what you mean by excelling?"

Callum sat enjoying the meal as best he could, knowing that three other Scions were no more than twenty feet away from where he was sitting. As much as he didn't want to, and knew how incredibly rude it was, he could hear every word they were saying. he hadn't caught either of the Asian men's names but he overheard them talking first about his own Pantheon, then about the Indian's, Nari.

Of course! Olives, the Mediterranean, The Greek gods. I should have guessed that. He considered going over and introducing himself but he knew that would be considered a serious breech of social etiquette. Instead he elected to continue eating and pretend he hadn't heard anything.

"I should.. clarify, I think. Though we must agree to disagree that about your first point - the Greek pantheon is actually the second-oldest of the divine tribes - that was not exactly what I was alluding to. I reference instead, later.. less polytheistic religions, perhaps? As well as popular stories, later works of literature, and a great many plays and productions of the western world. Though I must confess that we are an arrogant brood as well, and prone to a bit of exaggeration when it comes to our own importance."

He smiled charmingly as he spoke, and his voice held a small bit of self-mockery and just enough irony to take the sting off. Though it was clear the young man though highly of himself, or at least of his divine family, it was also clear he knew it to be a fallacy, and in a way was poking a bit of fun at his origins in the process. The smoothness of his voice and the amused glint in his eye as he mocked the very arrogance he seemed to embody made it difficult to be annoyed at his words, and seemed to encourage the men to laugh with him at the jest, knowing he would laugh back.

"But aside from that, you are.. somewhat correct. What we choose to excel in, we excel beyond all normal efforts, as if our very will to be heroic is enough to make us so."

Liv pushed her way into the Lotus Blossom, tired and a bit frazzled. She'd had a hell of a week; she could almost call it a bad dream, but there were the umpteen guards that were always around, the magic necklace and robes and of course that sense of rightness.

Still, life went on. She had classwork to do, an article to write and a deadline to meet. She hated human interest stories, which had made her reluctant to even start this one. Now she had two days to work on it - one to write and one to revise. She knew that the 'rush' was good - she'd have to write a lot quicker in a newsroom - but when you didn't have a professional editor following after you, it was hard to make yourself write quickly.

Liv was prepared to soak in the ambiance of the place, to accurately record the sensation of partaking of one of Boston's best-known secrets. But cold tea was the furthermost thing in her mind when she caught the odd scents coming from some of the people already there. Ink and paper, olives and hot air, and fresh grass and clover all battled for notice, nearly drowning out the chaotic symphony of sounds: rustling silk, a murmur of voices and creaking wood.

So that's what Julie meant. It was still hard to think of her as Mother; Mother was a Japanese bitch, even if calling her that to her face earned punishment. Liv almost walked out, then and there. Julie had told her that gatherings of Scions were magnets for trouble, and if she wasn't desperate to finish this paper, she would have slipped back out. But her tutoring session had gone very late, and she had another one tomorrow night, and this was pretty much her last chance to do the research needed. Cursing mentally, she started for a table, only to stop when she recognized someone. Changing course, she stopped by Callum's table - and realized he was the source of the fresh green scent and creaking wood. "Aw, shit, are you one too?" she asked softly, frowning down at him.

Mike looks up as the door opens again to admit a staggeringly beautiful woman who is accompained by the smell of rum and tobacco and the sound of beating drums. He involuntarily gazes after her as she enters the room, making for a free table before changing direction to sit with the Celtic Scion. Shaking his head to get back to himself he comments to the others, "And then there was five. I really hate to think how bad whatever is going down in town tonight is, and I hope it isn't going to be here."

He turns back to Nari, "Anyway where were we? Oh, yeah. Yeah, I take you point on Western Culture and literature taking heavily from the Greek pantheon's myths, legends etc. I'm sorry to say that is typical of the self-centred attitude of the West, and I was brought up here. There are many other cultures that hold sway over large populations, and/or were equally as ancient, but they are simply ignored by the West."

Qiang looked up and shook his head. "Interesting. I've a bad feeling about this. She is of the Loa and I must admit, there has been blood spilled between myself and their pantheon." He noticed that Mike and Nari had stopped eating and were staring at him. "I slew the Scion of one of their gods shortly after my Visitation. He was upsetting the established balance in Shanghai. At the time I was little more than a thug, drunk with power. I offered to let him flee but he would not ... I held no quarter after that." Qiang's voice is sad and resolved at the same time. "Perhaps I should find out if they are here for me, I can at least make sure you two are not caught up in my wake."

Click to reveal..
Occult

(08:55:20) ChatBot: (Qiang) rolls 5d10 and gets 4,6,4,6,10.

Reslut = 2 sux

Mike looks grimly across at the two, "Well, she doesn't look like she came looking for a fight, but then I guess with Scions and Titanspawn looks can be deceptive. If they start anything I'll back you Qiang, but I'd prefer things to stay peaceful."

His gaze followed Mike's, and his eyes lingered on the new Scion's approach with a mixture of interested appreciation and curiosity. He drew in a slight breath, absorbing the scents that mingled with the others in the air. His lips curved faintly in a smile before he turned back to Mike, and tilted his head politely as he listened to the other man speak.

"I will not be arguing with you there, my friend. My father may be Greek, but I was raised as a Hindu, and knowledge or understanding about my culture and religion of birth are sadly lacking in Western society. I must confess to only the general understanding of one who was raised with it as a practice - a fact of life, if you will - and not a subject to be studied. I lack, for now, a deeper understanding of the culture. My mother was a bit of a rebel, one might say, and so I am not as well-versed as some Indian-Americans are in the Hindu religion. It is truly a shame, too.. Hindu myths - at least the ones I was raised with - are rich in beauty and meaning, and as I stated before, we arrogant westerners could stand to learn a bit from them.. and from others as well, yes?"

The waitress brought his food then, and Narinder smiled pleasantly at the woman and took a set of the proffered chopsticks. He took a sip of the egg drop soup, and nodded his head in approval. Qiang spoke then, and when Nari responded, his voice dropped from a muted conversational tone to a lower pitch that carried only as far as those at his table might hear.

"But I am curious - what makes you so certain that something must be occurring elsewhere? Or here, for that matter? Perhaps this is only a chance for us to meet our fellow followers of the Gods. My father advised me that Boston is quite well-populated with Scions.. perhaps even a sort of gathering point, I don't know. Perhaps we should not jump to conclusions. Perhaps, for us here tonight, it is merely an.. opportunity."

There was a tinkle of bells as the door opened and Callum turned to size up the newcomer. He smiled as Olivia walked through the door; he hadn't seen here since her attack a few nights ago and was happy to see that she was okay. Pleasure turned to shock as the smell of rum and fresh tobacco, and the sound of beating drums washed over his senses for the briefest of moments. Olivia was a Scion too.

Click to reveal..
Int + Occult roll: 3 Dice

1d10=7, 1d10=5, 1d10=8

2 Successes

Quote:
Changing course, she stopped by Callum's table - and realized he was the source of the fresh green scent and creaking wood. "Aw, shit, are you one too?" she asked softly, frowning down at him.

The Loa! The Voodoo Gods! Callum was pleased with himself that he remembered that little tidbit. He smiled up at her frown. “For just over a week now,” He said casually, quickly wiping the surprise and shock from his face. “Please, sit. I take it this is what the Voodoo cult people were watching you for?” He glanced over at the other table of Scions who seemed to have taken an interest in Olivia's arrival as well.

Turning his attention back to his friend he asked, "Are you here for food or something else?"

"Assignment," Liv sighed, sitting down across from him, rubbing her face. "Wait, that means when we were over last, you were... whatever you are. This is so messed up, Callum. I don't even know what to think. If it didn't feel... right, I wouldn't be entertaining thoughts of it. Well, that and the proof of stuff. Hard to argue against something impossible when you can see it happen before your eyes." She restrained the urge to touch the necklace.

"How did you take it?" Her dark eyes, prettier than before searched his. "How are you handling it, with your extra few days of wisdom?" Her mouth twisted with a slightly sardonic smile.

Callum matched her smile with his own. "Better then you'd expect, especially from someone like me," He said. "Dad has a, a presence about him. He could stop a Mack truck in it's tracks with just a look."

He watched her reaction carefully. he was also aware that the Scions at the other table could probably hear every word he was saying, afterall, he could hear them. "Yeah, I'd just been visited by dad a couple of days before your attack. You know, I wasn't the only Scion there that night? That guy that saved you. What was his name again? Anyway, he's one too. Norse. Some god named Uller but that's all I know. Apparently his cousin is the daughter of Aphrodite." Callum paused. There were things he wanted to share with Livy but not when others could hear.

"I'm sorry I didn't say anything that morning Liv, but I wasn't sure what it would have accomplished. I didn't want to drag any of you into this world if I didn't have to," The conflict was evident on his face but again only lasted for a few brief seconds before he reverted to pleasant neutrality. "So, who is the lucky mom or dad?"

Mike was half listening to the Scions at the other table so it took him a while to respond to Nari's question in the same low tones, "It isn't very often that Fate brings so many Scions together without there being something on the brew. Since nothing appeared to be going on here the alternative was that Fate was keeping us away from something else going on, perhaps in the city. The more Scions are gathered here the bigger either the problem here will be or the bigger whatever is happening elsewhere. Or that was our supposition at least. We could be completely wrong of course." He ends with a grin.

Click to reveal..

Per + Awareness to listen in to Callum and Livy

(17:32:37) ChatBot: (Mike) rolls 5d10 and gets 2,9,2,4,4.

1 sux

Cocking his head to one side he catches a bit more of the others conversation before turning to his table companions again, "It sounds like those two are both newbies of a week or less. I guess that means the Loa is unlikely to be after you Qiang. Perhaps we should just go and introduce ourselves, they might appreciate some advice in the future." So saying Mike pushes his chair back and stands.

He walks calmly over to the other two Scions, glancing at the few other tables occupied in the establishment before he arrives at their table.

"Good evening Lady, Gentleman. Forgive me but I couldn't help overhearing that you are new to ... Chinatown. Perhaps my associates and I could offer some advice, we have been around the block here for a year or so."

"Just how many of us are there!?" Liv asked, her voice spiking in volume for a moment. Her cheeks darkened and she glanced around, her eyes falling on the other table. She gave them a harder look; one of the men was average, one was almost so dull as to be unnoticeable and one was absolutely the hottest thing she'd ever seen outside of Hollywood.

Still flushing beautifully, she turned back to the Callum and opened her mouth to answer when a shadow fell over them. She listened to the kid talking with a polite, little smile, but in truth, she really just wanted to do her homework and get the hell home. Also, the assumption that just because she was new that she needed some kind of helper wasn't sitting well either.

In truth, help wouldn't be all bad, but she was in a really bad mood. Erzulie had told her there weren't many Scions of the Loa around Boston, and that made her nervous, especially given the disdain that most of the other pantheons held for the Loa. "Actually, thank you," Liv said, still smiling, "but I was just looking for some tea and to do some homework. And catch up with my friend." She pulled out her notebook and dropped it on the table, opening it to a blank page.

Now maybe if that hot guy comes over and asks, I'll be more interested in some 'advice', Liv thought, covertly glancing his way again. She returned her attention to the kid who had approached them, giving him a warm smile to show no hard feelings.

Narinder remained at the table as Mike stood up, and watched the exchange out of the corner of his eye as he politely focused on his meal. He would let the impulsive young Celestial introduce himself for now and see how she took it. In Nari's world, there was a time and place for everything.

Click to reveal..
Rolling Per+Alert to hear what's going on at the other table: (12:17:21) ChatBot: (Narinder) rolls 5d10 and gets 7,6,5,10,3 = 2 suxx

Since the stunning young woman didn't seem inclined to company other than that with which she was familiar at the moment, he remained at the table, and turned his attention back to food, and to Qiang. But as she sneaked a glance in his direction, he seemed to notice, and caught her gaze with his. His eyes sparkled playfully, and he winked at her, the corners of his lips curving in a very faint, very sexy smile before resuming his quiet conversation with the man sitting next to him.

"Hopefully Mike is right then, and there is no concern about the girl's presence, at least in regards to your past activities. She doesn't seem much interested in our company. I myself would not have intruded upon you, if Mike hadn't offered - I hope my company isn't offensive to you. To me, it is always a pleasure to meet new people. Especially ones of.. similar background."

"Your offer is most kind and gracious good sir, however as my lady companion said, we will have to decline for the moment." Callums said with friendly formality and waited until young man went back to his table. A part of him wanted to invite the others over to join them but from the sounds of it Livy wasn't ready for that kind of exposure. Livy gave him a funny look at his overly formal reply and he winked at her.

"So...What is your asignment?" He finally said trying to break the awkward silence that had fallen over the table.

Qiang tried not to stare openly, but between the creeping paranoia that this woman might yet be here to settle an old score and her striking beauty he was having trouble. Narinder's voice broke the reverie and Qiang looked at the other Scion for a moment before replying. "Not offensive no. Just unexpected." Qiang looked down into his plate and quietly finished his meal. "My early life was hard, I did things and became a person that I look back upon with regret. Mother has charged me to grow and learn and as a man, as a scion. She says that there are great trials before me and that only if I am strong will I survive to join her in the heavens. I look back on my early days as a Scion and regret some of my deeds, for one reason or another."

He looked at Narinder, his expression serious, level, "Part of me would rather that woman be here to seek justice. At least then I could feel that the balance was made."

Narinder nodded seriously as he gazed at the other Scion. Then he sat his chopsticks down, and leaned forward.

"Sometimes the balance is not always achieved by receiving punishment for a wrong. Sometimes it is done by preventing another one. I hear of many things, many situations, in my position. My father and I.. it is our business to know others, and to know the events that transpire in the world. If ever I hear of something that you might be able to assist with.. something to help you balance your scales.. perhaps you would like me to find you?"

There didn't seem to be any deception or ulterior motive to the other man's words. The expression on his face, and the tone of his voice implied that he understood Qiang's dilemma, and his desire for justice to be served in some manner, even if it was against him.

Livy murmured, "The special tea here, for class. No, I'm not going to ID the shop. But if my twenty-year-old ass can order cold tea, it'll be an interesting story." This kind of thing was normal for her. "It's supposed to be a human interest story, and this was the only one that didn't make me gag."

The waitress came by, and Liv smiled warmly at the pretty girl. "I'd like a plate of Kung Po Beef, or something like that, and a pot of cold tea."

"Coming up." As she walked away, Liv started jotting notes in Japanese in her book.

Archived