Aberrant: Stargate Universe - SG22: Mission to P3R-881

Mr Fox

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aradia tried to hide her akwardness at the whole "being worshipped" business by merely looking displeased at his initial conflict. Inside, though, her head was reeling.

If we have them dig up this stuff, what are they going to eat? How much of their crop is it going to ruin? And how much trouble are they going to get in with this Ba'al guy? I mean - yeah, he's a bastard, and yeah they worship him.. but do they even know better? Or are we just lining up a bunch of ants to be stepped on?

She finished a few more bites, but having mostly lost her appetite, and seeing that everyone else was almost done, she sat down her fork and stood up, taking the initiative. She wanted to get this unpleasantness over and done with, and hoped she didn't get in trouble for it. Besides, who know when Ba'al's people might show up?

"Well, the meal was fine - perhaps we should be going. Lead the way."

She hoped for a moment that she sounded "god-like" enough, and then cringed inwardly at the thought.

The village elder stood quickly and moved toward the door, but then paused waiting to make sure he wouldn't be offending anyone not yet ready to leave. After everyone moved to follow he led the way out into the field closest to the stargate. The other villagers looked nervous and a little afraid as they saw where the group was headed.

((Steve, you are approaching one of the sources of technology. You could easily pinpoint it now. It has a weak presence however as if there is very little activity.))

After they got a little bit closer (i.e. within standard range) Steve held up his hand and said, "Hold up a moment." Steve looked around at nothing and concentrated, trying not so much to pinpoint it but to figure out it's function.

Click to reveal..
Cyber-K roll to learn more about this whatsits. 1st is mega.

7d10.hits(7) [1,4,8,10,7,2,6] = 3 Sux

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2156070/

Fade is still active since that was for the scene.

Kyria took a moment to finish eating, not because she cared for the food but simply to drive home the point of their control of the situation. A small part of her was wondering if this was the right way to be doing things, but it was a quiet little voice and easily cowed by upbringing and training. She watched her teammates as they left the building, wondering just what they were going to do with whatever they found, and how the SGC was going to deal with her (or hopefully Vinny's) request for a possibly substantial amount of replacement grains.

That was a problem for later today, though. Right now she just hoped they could actually find whatever it was that had been buried here and that they wouldn't get blown up in the process of digging it up. That would be annoying and probably keep them off missions for several weeks.

Aradia tried not to look startled. The Nagasaki reference took her a moment or two to get, but not many more. She bit her lip slightly, trying to think on her feet. Then she turned to the man and arched a brow at him, trying to look bland about her next statement.

"Thank you, this is far enough for now. There is no need to disrupt the crops at this time, we can sense that all is well. If you could go back inside and let the Mistress know we wish to speak with her at her convenience, you will be serving your masters well."

She watched as the man hurried off, then licked her lips nervously as she turned back to Vinny and Steve, her voice pitched low.

"So.. that's it then, right? We're done? Back through the Stargate, to report?"

Vinny looked over at the Stargate that they were not far from and pulled the cigar from his mouth.

"KT, go dial the gate, need to talk to SGC."

Waiting until the dialing had been done and the wormhole glistened its serene technological miracle across the primitive farmland, Vinny radioed over, not having moved.

"Sir, have an issue. Courier here, says this planet is set to be lit up like Nagasaki. Seems Ba'al went about burying some N-bombs. They all seem to be fanatically loyal to the Snake, but hate to see a good planet go to waste." Vinny sent, knowing the General would be present at the off-world activation.

The voice that came back over the radio was not the one that Vinny expected. "This is General Landry, General O'Neill is in Washington at the moment. Let me confirm, the entire planet is rigged?"

Clicking his radio Vinny quietly cursed a string of invectives at O'Neill's choice of timing then clicked the radio back on, "Yes Sir. Don't know about the whole planet but if they are N-bombs and as many as the villagers said then this place won't be fit for life when they go off if the planet doesn't crack like an egg that is."

There was a long silence before the General spoke, "Listen son, the safety of your team outweighs any concern I have for people loyal to Ba'al. If you can save them then fine, but I don't want you risking your lives if they don't want to be saved. Make your decision on what you want to do then report back in. You've got 24 hours to report in."

Steve waited for the sign off and then said, "Unlivable is right, these are big. They're also... raw is the word I think. It's not like the one we dealt with back at the base, my impression is that one mistake here and boom."

"Which raises the question... why would Ba'al want to crack this planet like an egg?"

"The planet is a giant landmine or trap. Either those weren't Ba'al's forces, but instead Anubis or some other System Lord's Jaffa mocked up to look like Ba'al's, or Ba'al plans on using the planet itself as one giant bomb. Any idea if there is naquadria present here?"

Vinny was pretty sure Kyria didn't officially have access to the files and mission reports regarding naquadria, but then how do you really keep secrets around an inquisative telepath?

She shrugged, "The question at the point is whether or not we attempt to disarm the expolsives, relocate the natives, or just walk away." Her inflection gave no indication of her preference of those actions. "Also, teams going to planets occupied or influenced by Ba'al should check for similar 'gifts' being given to the population."

Steve said reluctantly, "Disarming... is an option."

Steve added, "My impression is that it's waiting for a signal. If I just turn off the local one... well... technically I don't know what would happen. I don't know for a fact that they're all linked together. But realistically if I were building it, well, that's what I'd do. If all but one go off the planet should shatter."

Steve thought a moment and said, "So what we really need to know is if there's a master box around somewhere. If these are just dumb terminals and are just going to wait for the signal without ever talking to anything... then we're screwed. It's be hard and risky to disarm one, dozens or hundreds and there's just no way. But if there's a master unit then there might also be a disarm signal that it could send."

Vinny sighed.

"Even if we disarm the shit, one large blast could send the damn things going off like fuckin' dominoes. Either we decide to get rid of 'em or relocate the ass-kissin' snake-lovers. Not exactly comfortable toying with bada-booms that goddamn big. That kinda luck is better spent in Vegas."

"Thoughts?"

Vinny was not about to let a farm culture sit on top planet-cracking bomb material, even if it was disarmed, the potential for them to go off was still to great and the original purpose would still be served. They really needed to get the natives off so that they could start excavation on the material. Twenty-four hours wasn't going to be enough.

"I don't really think 'how many' is the biggest issue. While we're around, we can probably get them to sing "I'm a little Teapot" while dancing on their heads, but their normal cultural base is loyal to and worships Ba'al. How do we really convince them to move? If we tell them truth we'll spark a riot at best and holy civil war at worst. We'd either have to move them without letting them know that we did, or risk disarming the bombs, or leave them as a the incidental casualties of a planet-sized landmine. Ba'al may be booby trapping all his border planets or strategically located planets as some sort of paranoid preemtive move." She sighed and sat down. "Aradia, I don't suppose you could change yourself to look like Ba'al, could you? That might give us some more options, just like finding an master switch to the bombs would give us some other actions to take maybe."

She drummed her fingers against her chin as she thought, her nova level intelligence whirling through the possiblities.

"Ummm.. maybe. You'd have to flash a picture of him in my head or something. And do we know what he sounds like? I have to know to try and mimic it. So if you've ever heard him, or seen a video of how he speaks, then I might be able to pull it off. But.. don't you think they might suspect? I mean, if I'm not there - they've already seen me turn into a bird. At least, the farmers did.. so I dunno if someone's told the guy I can do that or not. Then again, maybe I'm giving them more credit than I should. I dunno - I'm not good at this shit yet."

She sighed, looking nervous and edgy about the whole situation.

((Kyria, you are pretty sure, all of you for that matter, that the only way these people are going to believe it's Ba'al is if you guys leave through the stargate and Ba'al and a contingent of his Jaffa come through. Just turning into Ba'al isn't going to be enough to get the people to obey without question. You guys are too different than what they are used to. Also, Steve, you are becoming pretty sure that Goa'uld technology will set the things off. At least the one closest to the stargate you are probing is simply waiting to detect something in order to trigger. You are not sure what it is though, could be that Zat or staff weapon energy being discharged in the area or a goa'uld communicator signal, no way to know for sure what exactly it's waiting on, but you are pretty sure it's looking for something Goa'uld specific, or perhaps Annubis specific.

Steve frowned and said, "I think the only way this makes any sense is in the context of a serious invasion. Ba'al knows that Annubis or someone is going to move in here in force, he's got a mass poison pill."

Steve looks at the gate, "I think there's a trigger hooked up to a sensor that will beep on some flavor of Goa'uld technology. Ba'al knows someone big is going to come through the gate and this is an assassination. So... if we convince them to bury the gate, they might delay everything for enough time that their society will evolve to the point where they can deal with this."

Steve looks up at the sky, "No. The scale is wrong. Those bombs are built to crack the planet, probably take out anything in orbit too. There's going to be a space invasion. This planet has been prepped to take down a fleet."

Steve looked at the gate and obviously wished he was on the other side. Looking back at everyone and no one he said, "Something to consider here. If this is going to take down a system lord fleet, are we sure we want to prevent that?"

Steve said, "Menu options. We can leave and let nature play itself out. We can warn the locals and tell them how to dial the gate and where they should run to first. Maybe we can even convince them to bury the gate and hope I'm wrong about the fleet. Or we could warn Annubis. Or we could set off one or more of the bombs early."

"Does the SGC know of a paradise planet? Somewhere that would look like a paradise planet to these people, at least? If they'd be willing to help with a relocation of these people, we might be able to convince them that Ba'al is pleased with them and is offering them a higher place in the celestial order by sending them through the gate." She shrugged, "They've probably got enough of a religious fetishism over the gate that it could work, and if we ferreted out some of the religious dissenters or agnostics amongst the leadership we could tell them truth and have them help us move everyone before the planet lights up like a Roman Candle."

"That way we can leave the planet as a fleet-sized landmine, if that's it's purpose, still save the villagers, and maybe have SG teams pose as 'heavenly teachers' or whatever and help them get to a better standard of living and education on wherever we end up moving them to. It'll mean some tricky diplomacy and the thankless task of weaning them off of their superstitions, but it's better for everyone in the end from a humanistic point of view. These people shouldn't have to die just because some stronger and more advanced people are deciding to have a galaxy-spanning tiff over who's in charge."

Aradia jumped onto that more humane-sounding plan. Though she certainly hadn't been capable of dreaming it up, she nodded vigorously at the idea.

"Yeah, sure.. that makes sense. After all, we're sitting here communicating with the base through the gate here, it wouldn't be that hard to convince them that we were receiving information from Ba'al that they were to be rewarded for their success, and that they were now required elsewhere to serve him, somewhere that would be a place more worthy of them that this place, right? What do you think, boss? Is there some kinda place?"

Aradia turned to Vinny, looking a little more pleased with this plan, and not nearly so nervous as she had at the idea of looking like Ba'al. That seemed like a plan that had disaster spelled all over it.. after all, it would be dependent on her ability to act like someone she'd never met, in front of people who already knew she could change her shape.

Steve nodded slowly, now that was a workable idea... it even had the side effect of leaving much of this society's wealth behind for the taking. Steve mentally reviewed what their "wealth" would look like and abandoned the idea of taking any for himself.

Vin glared at Steve as he presumed the course of action without bothering to think Vin might have a different plan.

"Steve, how much time you need to get a better understanding of how the snake bombs work? And how fuckin' deep are they?" he asked.

Got time, might as well learn something. Would be nice to disarm the fuckers and take 'em home.

Steve accepted being slapped down and answered, "I'm not sure how deep they are, or how large physically, or even how long it'd take to fully figure them out. I guess we have time to kill... but Vin, this isn't like that thing Olivia triggered. These are ready to blow right now."

"I think my computer transparency gives me a margin of error someone else wouldn't have... but I can't tell you how far into that margin I already am. I think if I make any mistake we're going to get a really good view of something that will outshine the star for a bit. I seriously don't want to go poking around inside this."

Steve waited for Vin's next move.

"Didn't ask if you wanted to, asked how long it would take you. You said they are waiting for Snake signals, you don't broadcast on the Ass-Tard Network do you? Good, didn't think so. Now start poking." Vin said with finality.

He turned to Kyria, "KT, start prodding the natives for imagery of these things, wanna see what they looked like."

Looking to Ari, "Gumby, keep lookout...anything odd, just make a giant squawk or something." he said with a smirk.

Steve seriously considered going through the motions and then just lying about it, but instead to 'see what he could see' first. Very, very gingerly Steve tried to get a better feel for the device and it's abilities, specifically whether there are sensors to detect whether it's being dug up and/or tampered with.

Click to reveal..
Int + Cyber for looking over the device. First die is mega.

7d10.hits(7) [10,10,8,2,5,10,6] = 6 sux

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2181272/

((You are pretty sure that the bombs are waiting to detect Gou'ald power signatures or signals. You don't think that the bombs would be triggered by the stargate since that is actually Ancient technology. You are pretty sure that any power signature of a goa'uld nature will set them off now that they are armed. Digging them up would not set them off, if that were the case then any earthquake or even a curious peasant would destroy the planet ahead of schedule. Since they are in a passive receiving mode waiting for something to trigger them it is reasonable to believe that they might be turned off by a signal on a specific frequency, one outside the goa'uld range. Testing that theory would be hazardous in the extreme. After your investigation you feel pretty good that as long as no one does anything at all involving goa'uld tech it is safe to dig them up or even shove them through a wormhole.))

Kyria frowned, "Now then, why would Ba'al believe that a Goa'uld target important enough for this effort would come through the Stargate without sending Jaffa ahead of them? I mean, otherwise the planet-bomb would be rather ineffec.....unless they had a fleet in orbit and thought the planet was perhaps naturally rich in naqada from the scans they'd done. Maybe. Still, this is a crude plan and method, at best. If the Goa'uld are going to hold a pretense of being gods, they really should sophisticate themselves."

She looked over to her CO, "So, what now? Do we dig up the bombs on some pretense with villages, or just see if Steve can disarm them? I'm fairly certain the SGC would love to study them, though taking them back to Earth would probably set them off. Perhaps to the Alpha site or some other research planet that we know is free of Goa'uld technology?"

"They aren't. Not worth the fuckin' risk anyway. SGC is riddled with Snake shit. Since these Pop Rocks are small, we can shitcan them through the Gate, one by one, into stars. We have an address or two of orbiting gates."

"Fleet annihilation, definitely." Vinny continued, puffing on his cigar, being mindful of falling hot ashes in the field as he stepped on one. "No point blowing the planet for any Gate travel, not their method. Let's get a fucker up and see how heavy this shit is. We need some logistics."

It was a bit of work but the bomb was uncovered. The villagers looked clearly terrified that the team was unearthing something they were commanded never to even discuss or dig up. Clear of the dirt it looked quite a bit like a large metalic pill, cylindrical in shape and rounded at each end. There was no control panel or other access. That the receiver and computer had to be internal since there was nothing exposed. The device weighed about two hundred pounds. Ironically, the devices could easily have been detected by a Gou'ald scaning for any kind of mass anomolies or devices, but the very scan that revealed their presence would have triggered them.

Kyria looked the device over with a rather apparent disgust. "Okay, so we're just going to chuck them into stars through the gate?" She lifted the device up carefully, the dimensions more of a challenge than the weight. "Easy enough to do, but do you think we can get all of the villages to agree to letting us? That's probably also going to take more than 24 hours, for travelling and for making sure we've gotten all of them."

Kyria spoke up before Vinny could, another man's memory providing the answer, "There's about fourty villages on the planet, each with five to ten bombs each. So, anywhere from two to three hundred of them."

She gave her CO an apologetic look. "This is going to take a lot of time to do this way, and we've only been given a day. Unless the SGC is willing to put more resources on this, I doubt we'll be able to finish before our time is up. And again, we don't know if this is all on some timetable for the enemy to show up."

Archived