Aberrant: Stargate Universe - SG21: Mission to P2X-313

Mr Fox

Gwyn takes a few seconds to check his gear and to go dense then nods to Caine and Cam as he steps into the rings, back to back with the Major and Zat in hand, "Ready when you are Major."

In the other hand he holds an environmental sensor to get a reading before they risk bringing the others over.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I don't think the rings will give me a problem from either side."

He waited for the signal that Caine and Jones were ready then activated the rings for the second trip. Again the other side was free of any people. Unlike the gateroom in the pyramid, however, the room on the other side was air conditioned and quite comfortable. Either this place has some serious automation or it was occupied.

The thing that had been nagging Olivia finally solidified into a concrete concern. "Wait!" she said suddenly, just as Cam triggered the rings.

"What?" he asked, worried.

"They don't get maid service out here, so these are occupied." She grabbed Damien's camera again and took another look, nodding as she did. "Yeah, these rooms are way too clean to be abandoned. Damn! I wished I'd been able to warn them. We are not alone here."

She paused and smiled a bit. "On the upside, the air over there is very breathable, so we'll get to join them soon." If they don't get cut down by evil Ra-maids...

They came back right at thirt seconds later.

"Looks like we have a go, Team. Get your gear ready for what could be a prolonged hike. The place is massive and someone is upkeeping it, but we could end up not finding them if we are on a short leash."

With that he walks over to the gate and dial's up earth.

"SGC, Major Caine here. We have some sort of super-structure that is definitely Goa'uld technology and we suspect it may be occupied. This place is massive. I repeat - massive. Definitly not a space craft."

"We are preparing to investigate further with the full team. We will report back in 24 hours. Caine out."

With that done, Caine closes the wormhole and scrambles the dial-up. Turning to the crew, he smiles.

"Let's see what trouble we can get into in the next 24."

Gwyn turns to the Major, "I would suggest that any materials that we aren't taking with us should be buried somewhere nearby outside for us to recover later. After all we don't want someone stumbling over it while we are out."

"Good idea. We haven't seen anyone about and there have been no signs of activity here, but there is always a first time.

"Colonel, you watch the rings. Doc come and cover us."

"Jones," Caine hefts up his, Cam's and Livy's spare gear, "you bring the extra water."

When that labor is done. The trekked back to the rings. Caine looked at Cam,

"Everyone facing out. Colonel, fire it up."

Olivia was excited. This was another new experience, even if it was cutting her off from the StarGate. She wanted to compare travel through the rings to travel through the StarGate. Then all she needed to do was take a ride on an Asgard teleporter, and then she'd have gotten the full gamut. She couldn't wait.

She pulled her mind back to the task at hand and got her zat ready.

Going through the rings felt much the same as gate travel, but was a little more abrupt feeling and the transfer instead of taking several seconds was almost intant at this close range. It also felt subtly less refined than using the stargates, but that was a very subjective observation and hard to quantify given the short distance involved.

On the other side of the rings was the blessed relief of air conditioned air. Even though it wasn't so bad inside the pyramid and was only 100 degrees outside the difference in temperature was still welcome. As Caine and Gwyn had seen on their 30 second trip the room beyond was lavishly furnished and immaculately maintained. Given that this world was known to Ra in the distant past but was left off all later records either ment that this world was abandoned for some reason or Ra had kept it secret, either of which could mean danger or opportunity for SG21, perhaps both.

There wasn't much time to consider which it might be. Within seconds of arrival in the chamber, a tall lean man came rushing into the room. He did not stop to look the people over but fell immediately into a deep and reverat bow, but his voice had that low echoing quality of the Goa'uld, "My lord, please forgive that no one was present to greet you on arrival." Before the words were even out he was looking up a perplexed expression dawning on his face. "You are not Ra, how do you come to be here?"

Caine turned and pointed his P-90 at the man. He also gave a closed-mouth smile. Could they make a Goa'uld an ally? He was about to find out.

"We are not Ra, but we come bearing news of him. We know it must have been years since you have heard from him, if that soon. Take us to your leader and let us explain our situation ot him and/or her. We mean you and your people no harm, but we are not to be trifled with. Do we understand one another? Now, my name is Damien Caine. My title is Major, United States Air Force. What is your name and title, Illustrious One?"

For now, they would be friendly. In fact, this was a reconissence mission that had definitely become loaded with a potential for major blowback. This was why life was worth living.

Her zat was out and already pointed at the Goa'uld as it knelt before them. She was very aware that lesser Goa'uld often worked for more powerful ones seeking to gain a piece of their power. And they didn't come more power than Ra had been.

Olivia tensed as Damien started to deal with the Goa'uld. Her dark skin paled a little and she swallowed hard. This was not the way she would have done it, but if anyone could pull this off successfully, it would be Damien. Vinny would have already shot it, and Olivia was a little embarrassed to find that she agreed with him. Of course, nearly being made into a host tended to color your perceptions of the Snakes.

She had to stifle a snicker when Damien gave his title. He was about the find himself called, "Major United States Air Force Damien Caine" for the rest of his visit.

The goa'uld frowned. "I am not familiar with that title, but if you come bearing news of Lord Ra then you are most welcome here. I fear that we were not hear to give greeting as is our duty because it has been so long since we have been graced with a visit. That is no good excuse I realize, but the Lord usually sent slaves ahead to announce his impending arrival that we might be properly prepared to greet him." The frown had lessened somewhat as he spoke but then returned as he added, "Please come and receive refreshments and tell us of the news you bear. It has been long since Lord Ra sent others in his place and you do not wear the normal priestly raiment. I would hear your tale and how you have risen so highly in the ranks of his slaves." With that he lead the way out into a corridor and through several passages and down one flight of stairs to one of the terraces. There a table was being prepared by a pair of what appeared to be egyptian boys in traditional egyptian fashion. Naked but for a short white wrap around the waist and sporting heads shaved but for a long topknot. They did not speak as they finished setting out platters of unidentified fruits and goblets which they filled with wine.

The Goa'uld took the seat at the head of the table and gestured for you to sit. "Please enjoy this food and drink, but hold in delivering your news until my brethren arrive, they will wish to hear this from you as well."

"One thing you and your brethern need to understand, please. We are not slaves. We are not slaves of Ra, or any Goa'uld, but the representatives of a New Tribe - A different tribe. The rest of the news can wait, of course, though we wish you to make sure all the brethern are gathered. This is momentus news we bring."

Caine acted both regal, commanding, yet generous. He feels like Pizzaro, or Cortez taking on an empire with only a handful. Fortunately, he feels like he couldn't have a better band to make this insane plan work.

"Not slaves? Different tribe? This must be momentous news indeed. As for my brethren, since it is not Ra that has arrived some may not attend. All those who will attend should be here shortly." He looked up to the doorway to see another man striding through the door. "Ah here is Two now."

The other man looked strikingly similar to your goa'uld greeter, they could easily be brothers or cousins. He took a seat at the large table. There are five remaining empty chairs.

Gwyn keeps a sharp eye out along the way for any computer terminals, any signs of guards, and the functions of any rooms they pass. Once out on the terrace he looks out over the view, trying to get his bearings to the gate pyramid in case a rapid air evacuation is called for.

At the word 'brethren' alarm bells start ringing in his head as well, and he looks over to see the Major's reaction. The whole time he has kept the Zat in his hand, but tried to keep it unobtrusive.

"Two? What an unusual name," Olivia said softly. "And I don't think we caught your name or title. Oh, yes... I'm Dr. Olivia Ji," she told them, remembering to keep it simple to start. Who is our host?"

Having said her peace, Olivia picked up a goblet and took a tentative sip.

Click to reveal..
Analytic Taste is always on, and will warn her of a drug or poison before it can affect her.

Now that he could clearly put the number of brethern to the five chairs, Caine was becoming more sure they could pull this off. He also noted he hasn't seen any Jaffa about so either they were rare, or of some distance from here.

He didn't mind as his subordinates spoke, nor minded if the two Goa'uld spoke amongst one another. What he did do was position himself towards Ra's chair/throne and Number ONe. It was occupied but the room was too simple for a throne. The first seat may be occupied, but he was going to make sure the brethren understood they wouldn't be stepping up to the Throne Room.

Once more he used his cultivated charm and confidence to keep the Goa'uld (and his team) calm and civil. There was no need to rush and no need to drop the bomb - yet.

After a few more minutes seven Gou'ald in all were arrayed around the table and still there were no Jaffa in evidence. Once they were all seated and had dished them selves up some food and wine the first Goa'uld began to speak. "Brethren we have with us visitors with news of our Lord Ra. They claim to not be slaves but from a new tribe." The other six looked curious but not unfriendly. "I am One. You have already meet Two. These others are Three, Four, Five, Six and Seven." As he introduced each they nodded. Despite their numbering they were not seated in any particularly order.

There was something noticably different about these seven Goa'uld. In ever mission report or the video footage you've seen of them you cannot get two in a room without them posturing or jockeying for power in some way or other, but these seven seem to be completely at ease with one another.

One looked back to Major Caine, "So now that we are all gathered as you asked, please give us your news. We are most eager to hear of our Lord."

"I bear grave news," Caine said solemly. He acted like he took no joy in being the bear of the words he was about to say.

"Lord Ra is dead. He fought our tribe on Abydos and was slain, perishing in Naquadah-fire."

He let that sink in and waited for the buzz around the table to die down, but not too long.

"He was a great opponent and we learned much in fighting him and from what he left behind for us. We learned of the Goa'uld ways and their culture. We also learned of your technology and have mastered much of it."

"What does this mean for you? Well, by Goa'uld law, we have slain your lord so you ... your services and your property are the property of our Tribe. What it really means is much less. We are not here to destroy you or change your lives all that much. We are fighting the other System Lords - and winning, but this is not a war we need with you."

"Work with us. Do not force us to destroy you in a war that would wreck the unique lifestyle you have created here for yourselves. Do not look at this as a surrender, but as a chance to join our Tribe and join your strength to ours."

The brethren looked stricken at the news. Three looked to One, "But what do we do now, Ra our father was immortal but now is gone!"

Four looked to Seven, "We must preserve what is in our care."

Five looked to Two, "We will continue as before."

Six looked to One, "We were commanded to abide here, we cannot leave, but we cannot stay if Ra is dead, what would be the point if we can never acquire more knowledge?"

One cleared his throat stopping the others from speaking, "We were commanded to stay and we cannot leave. Yet with our father dead we must continue on with the task we were given. We will find a way." The team seemed to be completely forgotten as the seven goa'uld came to terms with Ra's death.

Seven looked at One and spoke. "There is a way. We must awaken one one our sleeping brothers to go outside in our place. Let him do what our hands cannot."

All seven seemed to come to agreement and One, spoke formally, "So let it be done!"

Caine nods, apperently giving his agreement to thier decision.

"This sleeper, when he awakens, can come back with us and examine our archives, if that's acceptable. Ra's home, Abydos, has been nearly ruined and you would have to take exposure gear if you went there. Going to another System Lord would be foolish, as the chaffed for millenia under Lord Ra's rule and now seek to destroy what he created - witness Abydos. That which they can not possess and use, they destroy. Understand that," he commands. He is not to be trifled with here, or ignored {Activate Awe-Inspiring}.

"We alone do not seek to drive the memory or Ra from the universe and only our Tribe can offer you the protection, and knowledge, you might seek."

He leans in on the table.

"Now why don't you inform us of what this location meant to Lord Ra? What is the knowledge you have been gathering and to what purpose has it been put to use? Sharing your knoweldge will only help your cause, I guaruntee it."

Olivia drew a sharp breath the second Caine mentioned their archives. Over O'Neill's dead body, or it had better be, she thought fiercely, wondering what the hell Caine was thinking. It was only her great trust in her commanding officer that kept her ass in her seat instead of bounding to her feet and countermanding what he had just said. Besides, the odds of O'Neill letting a Goa'uld access any information other than My Little Pony paint-by-numbers instructions were incredibly slim.

Of course, perhaps O'Neill would approve them to have access to some non-vital information. Olivia hoped she got to pick the screened information, because she'd make sure that they didn't get anything remotely important. They'd learn all about America's Next Top Model; anything else too dangerous.

One looked to Caine and it was apparent to all in the room that Caine 'did' something. Suddenly he was far more of a presence to be reckoned with. The effect was not lost on One or his brethren as they all flashed their eyes glowy the way Gou'ald do when they want to impress others. Unlike Caine however, the Gou'ald ability is fleeting and only lasted a few seconds.

Cam sitting across from Caine felt the almost palpable force of so many strong wills being flexed at the same time. He couldn't help it, he had to respond, it just wasn't in his nature to sit back allow himself to be cowed by such a display. As they eyes were starting to fade, but before the feeling of their 'presence' had gone away Cam pushed a little energy into his own will and commanded, "Enough! Stop this posturing at once!"

Several of the Gou'ald did exactly that, but One, Three and Seven weren't taken as off guard. Perhaps they understood from Caine's display that these apparent humans were something more, but the light from their eyes continued to fade at the normal rate.

For the first time however, One really looked at the SG team taking in their dress and equipment noting every detail then turned squarely to face Caine. "I see that you are not as we first perceived. That is good. You have no need to threaten us. We know quite well what our fellow Goa'uld are like, none know more than us in fact. We would not serve the system lords or even make our presence known to them. They would fight over us and eventually all that we have worked for these thousands of years would be lost as one decided they could not stand another having access to our knowledge when they did not. It is why Lord Ra kept this place secret even from those of his own closest supporters. This place is the Library of Ra, it contains the accumulated knowledge of our race preserved here and it cannot be allowed to be destroyed." He let that sink in before continuing.

"When you go forth from here you must take our brother with you that he might continue to observe and record and bring back knowledge to add to the library. That is not negotiable, do you agree?"

Caine nodded, but stood his ground.

"I find your hunger for knowledge admirable. It is a trait of my Tribe. Your desire to send one of your's out is acceptable, but understand this. The galaxy is inflamed with our war with the System Lords. We are at war with the Goa'uld. Do not expect us to see you as noble librarians, but as potential enemies. How you behave now is very important to the future of your mission."

"Now, we will take your Truth Seeker with us. He will meet with one of our High Chiefs." Best not to mention he slew Ra. "He will determine this Goa'uld's fate - whether he continues on on his mission, or whether he is returned home. Much of that decision will be shaped how you act now."

"For starters, show us this library so that we can see that your words are true. Like you, we bring Truthseekers with us to discern the knowledge the world has to show. I give you my word that we will not seek to destroy anything we discover. That would be a great crime to my people."

Olivia's calm broke and she hopped to her feet, backing away from the table. The zat was in her hand; the metallic pop as it popped open was loud. "Don't do that again," she snapped, her voice angry. "If you want us to work with you, willingly, you need to stop trying to bowl over us over with your reading lights!"

Her ability to put up with shit with some fucking snakes had been hampered by all the shit she'd tolerated from Hatchins for the past three weeks.

So far Gwyn had simply leaned against the terrace rail watching the proceedings, the Zat in his hand half hidden by his leg from those at the table. The to and fro between Caine and One had been interesting, although he doubted that General O'Neil would let them have much if any access to the SGC archive.

These guys are very different from the usual Goa'uld, as different in there own way as the Tokra. I wonder who the Queen that gave birth to them was and where she might be.

At Olivia's outburst he stands straighter in case things start to go South.

Perhaps I should ask them to divert things from Olivia's outburst.

"Excuse me, but you seem to be very different from the other Goa'uld our tribe has encountered. A trait I believe of those from the same Queen? Could you tell us which Queen that might be?"

The Goa'uld did not react much to Olivia's weapon brandishing but instead faced Gwyn when he spoke. Two responded, "Our mother was Egeria queen to Ra. We are different because our Father wished us to be and our mother made it so. Others of our race have a very strong drive to achieve power. We do not. We have our task and that is all we need. With the knowledge at our disposal no doubt we could dominate he system lords but we do not choose to do so for that is not our purpose." The others all nodded at Two's words. These guys might not be megalomaniacs like the others of their race, but there was an air of smug superiority to the seven when they spoke of their people.

One then addressed Caine, "We will gladly give you a tour of our library if you wish but I warn you, we will not fall like the enemies of Yu in his third campaign. The library has defenses and more importantly where your people to try and storm the place it would self destruct. Lord Ra rigged a great explosive on the very bedrock upon which the library was built, it is likely that the planet itself would not survive the destruction as it would cause the gate to explode adding that naquadah to the explosion might even destroy any ship in orbit."

Olivia closed her zat and put it away. "Will we have access to the information in the library on this tour?" she asked quietly. She was a little embarrassed about flipping out, but with the news that Egeria was their mother had calmed her a bit. "You'll find that our people have no desire to destroy information, or those who don't fight with us." She glanced at Caine, letting him pick up from there.

"Fine precautions," Caine says maintaining the same confidence as these Goa'uld, "but you will not need them against us. Our people are driven more by a thirst for knowledge and you seem willing to share."

"We are also creatures of preservation of the greater whole. Do not seek to cheat us and we will treat you as you deserve."

"I thank you for your calm demeanor and hospitality. Can you take us to your library now. You also need to start considering how many of our Truthseekers - librarians - can come here and study your accumulated knowledge. What you have done here in Ra's name should be known amongst my People. Consider this."

"Now, on to the Library."

One frowned, "Share? We have not accumulated our wealth of knowledge to share, but because it is our purpose. You sound like conquerors with your words, 'Do not seek to cheat us and we will treat you as you deserve.' From your words there is implied threat. We wish no enmity with you and your people, but know that it is our nature that if this place is threatened we would destroy it rather than allow our work to fall into anthers hands."

Caine did not look happy as he spoke his words.

"Ra was our enemy. We destroyed him. By rights, we should be enemies and we should be fighting your right now. I have tried to explain to you that this is not our way. Despite your association with Ra, we will not hold his attacks against us against you."

"Now, it would make sense that you not want end your purpose now. It also makes sense you wouldn't want this knowledge fall into the hands of someone who would destroy it. You want to continue as you have gone and we respect that. No we laud your purpose."

"Now, you are arrogant, smug bastards so let me repeat myself and hopefully make this clear. We are at War. The Universe is at war, with System Lord fighting System Lord and System Lords fighting us. There are other factions as well. The key phrase is We are at War."

"You have a right to be treated with respect and I have. You have not given us the same and I will not have it. If you want to fight us and your search for knowledge to end, then we will accept this declaration."

"Now, if you want to keep learning, you will need our help. Who else can you trust to keep your Library intact? You know your own kind very well and you know there is no help down that road. Trust in us, and we will do whatever we can that does not risk our own survival to see that your purpose continues. Our price for that is that you let us know what you know."

"These are not threats," the Major says with convition, "but the reality of the situation we are in. It is a grim time for you and you have some important decisions to make. Will you chose to end your purpose, or will you accept that you must work with a people not of the Goa'uld to pursue your noble cause?"

One's frown deepened, "We are at war with no one and your wars do not concern us beyond the desire to chronicle them." He actually harumphed before adding, "Smug and Arrogant indeed, you should view your own reflection and to those add rude. You are being treated as guests in our home and we have shown no disrespect to you despite your origins."

He sighed perhaps we could allow your 'truth-seekers' admittance to the library, but only two at a time. One of us must always be in attendance and you must realize this will be a great imposition upon our time. Every hour we spend with you is one less we have to devote to our tasks. But in return there are two further conditions. One, you must swear never to reveal our existance. Second, you must never again enter the library armed."

"I have been rude," Caine acknowledges. "As I said, there is a War going on between the other Goa'uld and me Tribe. I hope it will not happen again."

"As for your conditions, I think they will be exceptable. Two librarians in the library - unarmed ... with a suitable and to be decided guard detachment outside the library as a guaruntee of thier well-being."

He brings his hands together,

"May we soon come to trust one another."

"As for keeping your existance secret, I think it would be difficult to find someone we would even consider telling. Perhaps, in time, if there is someone you are interested in contacting, we could arrange a meeting. We are well aware that the majority of the universe does not share out love of knowledge. I give you my word."

"Perhaps, we could discuss any other terms while going to the Library of Ra. I must confess the source of all these years of knowledge that is the sole purpose of seven goa'ulds' work is intriguing."

One seemed considerably mollified. Gesturing at the walls around him. "You are in the library. These top levels of course were set aside for Lord Ra and those slaves he might send through from time to time with new data to add to our knowledge. The knowledge is stored below, let us go and I will show you some of it." He led the way letting the other six Goa'uld to trail along or go about their business as they would. Seeing that the female of the group had a question he paused before entering the first lift. "You wish to ask something?"

Archived