World of Darkness: Attrition - Consult with a Warlock [Fin]

Sarah Dead-Wolf

Click to reveal..

Four legs carrying her across the trimmed grass and hard pavement of Los Angeles as fast as undead muscles would bear, Sarah tore westward through suburbs and across darkened campus quads toward her goal. Only as the lights of Lucien's home hove into view did she slow down, shifting even while still at a jog from four legs to two. What had once been only a dream for her was now second nature, and the Dead-Wolf made the transition without missing a beat.

In short order, she was at Lucien's door, finger mashing the button for the speaker and bell. It was after one in the morning, but this was normal fare for the pair... and for Roz as well, who had become somewhat accoustomed to her employer's nocturnal girlfriend.

"Come in Sarah," the beautiful Latino said, opening the door. "He's in the den." With a polite and familiar smile, Sarah headed off to find her mate.

With a soft swish of leather up leather Lucien slid the volume of business lore back into its place upon the impressively large shelf. Slowly his fingers trailed down the rest of the volumes in sequential order until he paused for a moment and finally pulled out the book he was looking for.

When Sarah arrives he was already to the page he needed and was perusing its contents, his back to her. As her conscious mind crossed the threshold of the chamber his eye looked up but his head remained inclined. He looked to the corner of his eyes, sensing the irritation that seemed to consumer her during this rather difficult time in her tests.

"Good evening Sarah," He continued to read his book, standing at the shelf like some professor might in an old movie. "What can I do for you this evening?"

"Good question," Sarah whispered, stepping forward to the side of her arcane lover. With an effort of the blood, she brought a hint of warmth to her flesh as, leaning in on tip-toes, she brushed soft lips gently against his cheek in a nearly ephemeral kiss. Breath, warm and slight, once more moved rhythmically through her lean frame as the blush of life moved across her features. This wasn't something Sarah did often, or for anyone. It was a gift for Lucien, a rare rose offered freely and only to him.

"First," she said, a hand no longer chill taking his arm, "I'd like to see your eyes from behind that book, and maybe get a kiss." She smiled, only the barest hint of sharp fang giving any hint of the predatory truth of her nature. "And then, maybe you can give me some help on this problem I'm dealing with."

"Ah," He grinned, folding the book closed with a thump. "Sorry. I've been working on a rather large project for one of my classes. You know how I get."

Her cerebral lover turned and gently offered her up a gentle kiss upon her newly livened lips. "I'm finding myself in one of those situations where I know what I'm looking for, but I can't remember what damn book it's in." His smile broadened. "I'll find it later, what kind of help did you need?"

Her smile slipped a bit, and while the warmth remained in her soft skin, that in her eyes faded just a touch.

"This current test is a bad one, hon. Bad in a lot of ways. I've been sent to deal with what's called a Broken Soul: one of the People who has lost every last shred of balance, become nothing more than a beast."

The dead girl sighed, looking out the windows as if she could see all of Los Angeles in the darkness beyond. "She's out there, somewhere. Might be killing someone right now. Might be eating them - she's gone man-eater. And neither me nor the pack know how to find her except when she wants to be found; still has that much cunning, anyway."

Sarah's eyes turned back to meet Lucien's. "It's Swara-Ann. She's gone, and what remains needs to be stopped. My hope is that you might have some way of prognosticating where she'll be at some point, so that the pack and I have a chance in hell of finding her." There was hesitation before she asked the second question, the one given by Amber at the last moment. "And maybe if you had any thought of how to fix someone that far gone so that we don't have to kill her."

"Swara-Ann?" He paused, looking perplexed. "I thought that was handled months ago. I assumed she was put down already by the Tribes."

He let himself fall back a few inches letting the bookshelf catch him as he now leaned against it thinking. "I can only tell you where she is now, not 'will be' or 'was'. However, if there was no attack against her then she's more than likely still maintains a lair in the basement of the old Church of Christ about ten blocks south from the university. It's possible anyway that's where she was last I scryed on her."

The Warlock pushed from the wall and paced for a moment. "As far as 'fixing' her...," He paused. "I don't know Sarah. I'd need her here, subdued for study."

Sarah blinked in surprise. "That... that is actually hugely helpful! If she actually still havens there, that gives us a huge lead." Her brow furrowed as she considered options. "Subduing her's gonna be a trick. Just trying to get a werewolf knocked-out is a stretch; they tend to go into a death rage before getting to that point. But if we can pull it off..." She looked around at Lucien's office. The place would be shredded in seconds by an angry Uratha. "Hmmm. Where would you want her brought for that study?"

"That's a toughy." The Warlock stroked his chin. "Lycanthropes are protean creatures, which means containing them is difficult. We need to prevent her from shifting forms." He grinned as if an idea formed. "You'll have to knock her out and keep her asleep... might I recommend chloroform applied judiciously to a rag and kept there while shes unconscious? The vapors should keep her border lined enough for us to see what's troubling her. Once you have her, bring her here to the basement."

He approached Sarah and kissed her gently. "I'll get things ready for her arrival."

Archived