Scion: Table Talk

jameson (ST)

And here's the law, taken from Massachusetts General Laws (emphasis mine):

Quote:
CHAPTER 269. CRIMES AGAINST PUBLIC PEACE

Chapter 269: Section 10. Carrying dangerous weapons; possession of machine gun or sawed-off shotguns; possession of large capacity weapon or large capacity feeding device; punishment

(6) (B) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that, if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction

The underlined part is their catch-all to get you if you carry any dangerous weapon. Basically, you can have them in your house and place of business, and that seems to be the limit.

Reference

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Cause I was looking them up for the Tribe, here are Massachusetts' Gun Laws:

Click to reveal..

Massachusetts Law requires firearm owners to be licensed through their local Police Department or the Massachusetts State Police if no local licensing authority is available. A license is required by state law for buying firearms and ammunition. An applicant must have passed a State approved firearm safety course before applying for a license.

All applications, interviews, fees, and fingerprinting are done at the local Police Department then sent electronically to the Massachusetts Criminal History Board for the mandatory background checks, and processing. All approved applicants will receive their license from the issuing Police Department. All licensing information is stored by the Criminal History Board. Non residents who are planning on carrying in the state must apply for a temporary LTC through the State Police before their travel.

There are four different types of Firearm licenses issued in the state. The most restrictive license, the Firearm Identification License (FID), only allows the ownership of long arms (rifles or shotguns) that hold 10 rounds or less in their magazines. The Class B License To Carry (LTC) allows the ownership of handguns which hold 10 rounds or less or long arms with any capacity magazine. The Class A LTC allows the ownership of any capacity handgun, or longarm and the ability to carry concealed. Licenses are valid for 6 years.

The issuing authority official may restrict the Class A LTC as he wishes, such as target and hunting only, which may effect the authorization of an individual to carry concealed.

The final license is only issued for "machine guns."

A license to possess or carry a machine gun may be issued only to a firearm instructor certified by the Criminal Justice Training Council for the sole purpose of firearm instruction to police personnel, or to a bona fide collector of firearms upon application or renewal of such license.

A "bona fide collector of firearms," for the purpose of issuance of a machine gun license, shall be defined as an individual who acquires firearms for such lawful purposes as historical significance, display, research, lecturing, demonstration, test firing, investment or other like purpose.

For the purpose of issuance of a machine gun license, the acquisition of firearms for sporting use or for use as an offensive or defensive weapon shall not qualify an applicant as a bona fide collector of firearms.

All private sales are required to be registered through an FA-10 form with the Criminal History Board, Firearm Records division. The state has an assault weapons ban similar to the expired Federal ban. Massachusetts is a "may issue" state and all classes of LTCs, are issued in a highly discretionary manner.

FIDs are "Shall issue", except if the applicant fails a background check. Massachusetts law does not recognize the Firearm Owners Protection Act. State law requires all firearms to be stored ) in a locked container, or with a child safe trigger lock. If in a vehicle, firearm must be carried in the trunk of the vehicle in a locked container. Unless the licensee has a Class A unrestricted license, in which case the firearm must be under his direct control. Any firearms that are found to be unsecured may be confiscated by law enforcement officers and license may be revoked. In the event a license is revoked for any reason, law enforcement will confiscate all weapons and store for 1 year before destroying them unless the revoked licensee transfers ownership to a properly licensed party who then claims the firearms.

Well, Reider is a hunter, so he probably has a LTC (B). After all, most hunters also carry a pistol. He still can't carry a gun around in public, but it does give him an excuse to OWN a rifle and a pistol. This also means his fingerprints are on record. Oh joy.

Okay, just posted the stats on the Amazonsm but I'm still lacking names on most of them. If anyone wants to describe/name one in a fic where they are at Venus, feel free, just PM me the details (name, height, hair and eye colour, maybe a brief note about what is notable).

4 slots are open.

Originally Posted By: Dave ST
Quote:
He didn't know of a permit to carry a sword, but he new it wasn't technically illegal, just weird.

Think about this... think for a moment and tell me what's wrong with it...

Anyone?

Good call Max, all your answers were correct, as were most others' answers. But here is my point for drawing attention to that little snippet of text courtesy of Long.

First, no it was not to kick him in the nuts...

Second, yes it's illegal, we all know it's illegal. But that doesn't mean the Scion in question gives two shits in a warm summer breeze. The World has laws just like Reality does, but we don't have Godchildren strutting about waging war on the forces of the Titans.

Common sense doesn't take a back seat to anything in Scion, it's still dumb to walk into a bar with a sword and yes it's dumb to assume a 22 year old wouldn't have the common sense to know it's illegal. But is raises the question of whether or not Ayato gives a fuck.

So long story, long... in Scion you can pretty much do as you please but please... pretty please... with sugar on top when you're going to do something that's obviously dumb (and we all will eventually) don't try to cover it up with ignorance ("I didn't know carrying a katana in public was illegal!"). You don' thave to try and fool the STs, we know people are walking around lightning guns and chopstick staffs and Swords of Storms... we know, and we think it's kinda cool. So work with us.

Corbin is a good example... his little gauntlet more than likely breaks a few weapon laws, but does he give a shit? Nope. If the police want it, let them try take it. If the Amazon says 'check it at the door' he puts her through the door and walks over her broken corpse.

He knows it's a weapon, but he is a Scion of The Morrigan and woe to any mortal that tells him he must part with his badge of honor.

(I cut my previous post in half and am moving it to here).

After more time goes by I'll be tempted to have Nick try to lead one of them out into the street where he can maneuver more and get his sword. Their soak is going to curb stop any fire arms.

It's worth doing right now because it keeps them out of reach while our DVs are low (and with their DVs low it *might* give us enough extra accuracy dice to do something), but it's not going to win.

Whoever was talking about having an axe near should *right* *now* run off and get it.

Note about the Cold Tea post:

Originally Posted By: Narinder Kapoor
"I should.. clarify, I think. Though we must agree to disagree that about your first point - the Greek pantheon is actually the second-oldest of the divine tribes - that was not exactly what I was alluding to.

Before anyone gets up in arms about this, as I know in the real world there ARE things that pre-date the Greeks , this is almost word for word a quote from the book, p.50-something, the first page of the Dodekathion, in fact the first line regarding their pantheon. So while personally I don't necessarily agree, it sounds like since we're skipping Mesopotamian and a few other cultures in the game, then this would be accurate for Scion-world.

Believe me, I'm a history buff, and reading that made me twitch a little. But for simplicity's sake, I'm going by the book on this one.

And it's not what Nari was talking about anyway, so it's pretty irrelevent. laugh

I'm still tripping over how the PCs are pretty much going 'so hey, what powers do you have?' and it only appears that only one of the characters participating in the fiction seems to have enough applied academics to know a decent amount of Theology.

Just because you're a history buff doesn't mean your PC is. I know a great deal about ancient Egypt and the Gods of the Dynasties... but that doesn't mean Corbin is going to carry on a debate about it using my knowledge as his own.

Rorx's consistent meta-gaming of 'lemme guess what your powers are' is amusing to say the least, I'll give him that. Frankly my reply to his inquiry would have been 'none of your business'.

Just to clarify Dave, I wouldn't have asked about Nari's Pantheon thing if Qiang hadn't just commented about the Celtic one. Until then I doubt Mike would have realised that there was such a difference between the Pantheons, so now knowing that there was it seemed natural to ask the only other person not of his own pantheon there.

As for other powers, the only person he has possibly mentioned anything else to was Qiang, the Scion who arranged his own Visitation and who he has known and worked with for over a year.

A combination of both, really, Courier. They do teach things like ancient history in College, you know. laugh

Oh, and Rev.. to be specific, he did ask what the "Greek" thing was. And Narinder told him. Doesn't mean that has anything to do with his powers, ironically - Nari doesn't have any Arete yet. Hehe. But Nari's a nice enough guy not to say "fuck off", since getting along with almost everyone is his thing (and it would have been out of character to do so).. well, ask a general question.. get a general answer, that's my philosophy.

Originally Posted By: Rorx
Just to clarify Dave, I wouldn't have asked about Nari's Pantheon thing if Qiang hadn't just commented about the Celtic one. Until then I doubt Mike would have realised that there was such a difference between the Pantheons, so now knowing that there was it seemed natural to ask the only other person not of his own pantheon there.

As for other powers, the only person he has possibly mentioned anything else to was Qiang, the Scion who arranged his own Visitation and who he has known and worked with for over a year.

Well, for once, I didn't mean it in the negative sense, Rorx. Although I can easily see where it could be seen as such. Thus far I've been amused with Mike's natural curiosity and whimsical attitude (much like the Monkey King). It's cute how he asks something and all other PCs just fall into line and let him know what he wants to know... not bad for a guy they just met. I guess just because he's a Scion he must be one of the good guys! smile

Occult helps with the supernatural aspect of things. Academics assists with the educational aspect of things. So, it's my opinion that Occult may have helped discern what the Tuatha's purview permitted... but what good did it do Qiang since he has no idea what or who the Tuatha are (Academics 0) let alone pronounce the pantheon.

Occult is great for supernatural beasties, like knowing what a Cerberus is and what powers it might have, did that Scion just use Cheval, what purview does the Levin Fury power belong to?

Academics is for things like Theology, who the gods are, what pantheon they belong to, what they were the god of, etc...

Some might argue that the gods are supernatural and thus fall under occult. Normally I'd agree but they've had full rich mortal cultures that have left behind stories and legends of their deeds all across the world. Museums are a place of science and education to help solve the mysteries of these ancient places.

The skills go hand in hand IMO... only someone with a decent of both Academics & Occult can truly say 'they get it'.

And for the record I'm not bashing people, just making conversation.

Originally Posted By: Corbin Black

Occult helps with the supernatural aspect of things. Academics assists with the educational aspect of things. So, it's my opinion that Occult may have helped discern what the Tuatha's purview permitted... but what good did it do Qiang since he has no idea what or who the Tuatha are (Academics 0) let alone pronounce the pantheon.

I took a little liberty based on the 6 sux I rolled on Occult ... ask him to name one of those gods and he'd probably draw a blank, ask about a myth associated with them and he's shake his head.

I agree that certain things fall into certain skills but there is overlap especially in cases of extreme suxcess

Originally Posted By: Yueh Tian Qiang
Why couldn't you? I don't recall twisting your arm? Dave did you force him to put points there?

Force? No. I asked him to justify why his PC, a 20 year old Boston Rookie Police Officer, had an Athletics of 5 and a Melee of 5 when nothing in his background even hinted to training in those skills (at least certainly not to mastery grade levels)

'He wants to play professional baseball' I believe was the answer I got... (which wasn't anywhere in his background)

I cared more for the background justifying the dots than anything else. All you had to do was edit the background to justify the Olympic-level abilities.

On a completely unrelated note, I'd like to get something clarified in relation to Nari's role in Boston's society/Scion society.

Obviously, Nari is a very around the town kind of guy. He's been an active Scion for about two years now, and has a reputation (Legend) as a Scion as reliable, trustworthy, a peacemaker between godlings, and.. well, a bit of a player, though seemingly never with any real hurt feelings afterwards.

Now, I'm going to run under the assumption that if you've been an active Scion in the Boston area for more than a couple months, Nari probably knows you. He may not know you well, he may have only been sent to you with a message, or run into you somewhere (as fate wills) and introduced himself (he would've given you a card, so you have his number, and gotten yours if possible, in either situation). Hell, he may even know you in the biblical sense (if you'd like that to have occured, just PM me and we'll figure out how that went. It usually goes very well for both parties, when Nari is involved. wink ).

But anyway, I consider it my responsibility to know how's been around and for how long by reading your profiles, but if someone either has an objection to Nari knowing who they are in some manner as a Scion (say you've been trying to stay off the map) or if you want anything specific/interesting to have happened (in the biblical or otherwise - hehe), please PM me and I'll be happy to work out the details or note you on my "don't know them from Herucles" list.

Thanks all!

I had meant the Venus to be a place where Scions could kick back and gather safely, in the strip club or the bar&grill, which would have worked well Nari connecting people. But after 'V Night', I think people might start avoiding the place. grin Even Sapphire might. smirk

Not a biggie Jim, I thought I had originally made my intentions clear during chat sessions and stuff, but after a couple interactions with others I realized I definitely hadn't, because most people weren't assuming they had met me - so that's why I decided to bring it up. We'll just say that you're one of the few active Scions that Nari hasn't had the good fortune to happen upon until tonight. laugh

Archived