Scion: Table Talk

jameson (ST)

Scion has been bantered about a lot lately, in the Abby discussion thread as well as chat. I'm not entirely sure I am up to the task but I want to see how many people would like to play. If enough people are interested and have knowledge of the rules I'd be willing to shackle myself to running a game.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm fine with either a ST game or a game similar to WoD: Attrition.

The later might also be easier for you as we have some prolific fic writers and it won't need your immidiate attention every single day smile Plus you can get others to help run plot lines and if there is a lot of people interested it means more player slots would be open. smile

An ST driven Free Form world would be a good choice, like WoD:A's format. This way we can write as we see fit and only need to worry about ST attention when they have adventures they'd like to share and challenge us with.

Originally Posted By: jameson (ST)
Well... we'd be playing Hero level ... but the idea is similar laugh

Setting will be what is in the book, i.e. modern world, PCs will start out as mortals and recieve their visitation (even if by proxy) during the game.
Wait, I thought Scion was in the ancient times?

*cough*

Anybody who cannot find the books should talk to the manager of their local gaming store or go online (Amazon, WW store, DriveThruRPG.net). They certainly should NOT pirate the books and if They do they shouldn't talk about it here. We wouldn't want Chosen and/or the site to get into trouble for file sharing, however indirectly.

Personnally I think I'd prefer something closer to SGU then WODA, simply because I'm not so good at starting up stuff on my own. A chunk of that is not knowing what the bad guys can do and how to run them without interfering with the rest of the game world I guess.

However I guess that would mean having a mechanism for drawing people together to deal with things, but that's sometimes worked in WODA amongst people themselves. On the other hand there are other threads that have just been left hanging without being resolved/finished.

Any way I'm rambling so I'll stop.

Regardless of the forum format the main setting of the game will be Boston/Eastern Mass. I feel I can do more to flesh out the setting with a region I know. This of course does not mean you can't take field trips to where ever of course. Once I get my feet under me I'll work on a map for the game.

Scion: Apokálypsis

Apocalypse? The end of the world? No. Apokalypsis, the Greek root for apocalypse, meaning "lifting the veil", is a term applied to the disclosure to certain privileged persons of something hidden from the majority of humankind. Basically the revelation that the gods and titan exist and that one of your parents was a divine being.

What's with the funky Greek spelling? My intent is that it will help to remind us that this is not an "end of the world" story so much as it is a game about finding out who and what you are. Scion is as much about finding and making your place in the world/mythos as it is about kicking ass and taking names.

What's the setting? Geographically we'll be in Boston and eastern Massachusetts. For my part I'll likely make use of the rest of New England as well, but I encourage players to go out into the larger world as well. As far as the world goes ... its now, the world is that same as ours, the economy sucks, the President is being assailed for being ineffective after less than six months, and, oh yeah, the Titans have broken free from their prison and are waging war on the Gods.

Can I play a Demigod or God? No. At this time there will be a cap on Legend of 4. You can squirrel away experience for that 5th dot and Demigod status but until I break the seals you just can't seem to gather enough Ichor to make the jump in power. That said I encourage people to start with Legend 2 and allow themselves to grow from an unknown Scion into a fledgling Demigod.

I want to play an old dude! Good for you, there are plenty of other games where you can go complain about dentures and healthcare. Scions are young and vital, visitation happens in the late teens maybe as late as 20. After char gen for each dot of Legend beyond 1 you should be able to explain at least a years worth of heroic deeds and adventuring that has caused your Legend Rating to grow. So if you want to start at Legend 4 be prepared to have some good background or be asked to pare down your power.

I want to be a Scion of ... Any pantheon in the Scion material is fine with the exception of the Atlantean, Yankee, Axis, and Ally pantheons from the Companion. Additionally no Fan Made pantheons or Gods, there's more than enough choice in the books.

Can I be a Titanspawn? No.

Can I use Boon/Relic/Creature/etc. XYZ from Book ABC? At this time we will be using the following Scion Books: Hero, Demigod, God, Companion, and Ragnarök as resources for this game. For anything cribbed from a book other than the Hero core rules please reference the Book and Page where the entry can be found. This will help me stay sane as I am still trying to familiarize myself with this game.

Geasa ... cool! Hold up there bub. Members of the Tuatha Dé Dannan may NOT choose their own Bans when creating their geasa. The STs will find something appropriately mean for you. Yes we are meanies.

Edited:[God X]'s Kid keeps bugging me. Can I kick his ass and take his toys? You bet. Scions are going to clash (even if we STs need to make it happen), especially when it comes to Scions of your Patron's Rival. PvP will be very real and players will be able to kill each other and steal each other's Relics.

Consent:

The issue of PvP Consent will be dealt with in the following way. Players will be given (or denied) consent to P-Kill another player (or Kill a PC's Follower, Guide, Creature, or to steal/destroy a Relic) by the Storyteller(s). If a player's character wants to kill a PC they must contact the Storytellers and provide their IC reasons and stories WHY they are out for mortal blood. If the STs agree that the PC has justification to be out for a kill they will be given consent and the STs will work with both players to create a ST moderated plot (or modify a current fiction into a ST moderated plot). Success/failure will still hinge upon the character's plans abilities and dice rolls.

For all non-lethal combat, consent is assumed and ST consent need not be obtained. Players should talk to each other and determine if the combat needs to be adjudicated by a ST or not themselves. Non lethal combat may cause temporary loss of a Birthright but not permanent loss (that requires ST consent). Beat down your fellow Scions all you want, but if you wish to end their legend you need to speak to the STs.

Edited: My mommy says I can't play big boy/girl games. Is this a big boy/girl game? Yes, Scions fight hard and play hard.

I'm a touch confused about X, what should I do? You can ask your fellow players, the ST(s), or check WW's official FAQ found HERE.

OK We have 14 interested participants (that includes myself).

While not everybody has replied those who have seem to prefer a semi/partially scripted open type forum. I'm going to hold off a little longer to see if anybody else wants to pipe up with their opinion.

Will we be doing our own Callings? Or is that something the STs would like to do? How much interaction will we be handling with our divine parents, or is that something that the STs will always handle?

If a player wishes to have his Visitation RPed out with a ST then we can discuss and work things out. This should only apply to newly minted Scions though. If you have legend 3 or 4 you're on your own to do that as a fiction.

Interactions with Divine Parents will probably be held to the realm of ST assisted fics but I have yet to give it much thought so that may change.

Archived