World of Darkness: Attrition - Window of Opportunity [Complete]

Jeremy

Evening, May 27, 2009

Everything was ready now. As Jeremy left work at LA Amphora, and pulled out his cell phone, he reflected on his state of emotion. He didn't really want to admit it, but he was out for getting the fellows who shot Dash. People were tight in the Changeling freehold, and he wanted to strike back. Those Fairest did rather well now. For once, they did something useful for others, though it was partially no doubt due to a sense of self-protection.

Jeremy dialed the number Adrian had given him. Just a few tough customers, and they'd give a surprise for those Hunters. The killers would survive though, to provide to info needed to end this once and for all.

A grim smile crossed his face. Let's go on a raid.

"Adrian, it's Jeremy. The freehold has come through. We know where those two Hunters will be at 10 pm. So, meet me around LA Amphora at 9:30, and I'll explain more there."

"Understood," came back from Adrian at the end of the info-dump. I will be there in under an hour. I'll call back up. Try not to be a hero, J. This may be our only chance to get at them."

He nodded at the response and gave an,

"Good to hear it. Be there soon."

Calling No Moss came first. The Werewolf was reliable and dedicated to keeping the supernatural and mudane apart. The call to Sam was less easily and required more thought. Adrian didn't want to risk he life, but her talents would be incredibly useful if they found artifacts in the domicile of the Hunters. It would also impress on the others how important she could be. She would get two more friends in the world that lived in darkness, and she was likely to need that.

"Sam. Hello, It's Adrian. Something on the Dash case has come up at last. Do you want in?"

Sam pinched her nose as Adrian explained the reason for his call. Finally she replied, "Right now? Its kinda late and a little short on notice. Do you need my, umm, skills?" It wasn't precisely that she was reluctant, it was more that he and his friends were getting involved in something dangerous. Sitting on her couch in an over sized t-shirt and underwear she felt acutely vulnerable, both for herself and for her son.

Sam had been watching TV with the nanny, Timmy was already in bed and Sam had been rather surprised when her cell pone rang, less so once she saw it was Adrian. "I swear the man is afraid of the sun or something," she had muttered before answering the phone.

"I wouldn't be calling if I didn't think this was the case. Listen, it's likely to be dangerous. These guys are armed and dangerous and we have no good way to get them involved with the law. That being said, I think these guys are involved with others like them and we need to know. When it comes to the fight, I want you to hang tight until the rest of us have secured the scene. We may have to move quickly too."

"Sam, I'm glad to have you along in this. It is important to me and others. They will get a better sense for what you can do and be more likely to help you if you need it and I'm not available."

With that, Adrian gave her their rendevous location and said his good-byes.

Sam sighed, "OK ok, I'll be there in about forty minutes." She hung up and got off the couch, "Duty calls, I'll probably be late." The nanny nodded and Sam went into her bedroom to put some proper clothes on. Forty minutes later she pulled her car to a stop and got out. Her gun was already holstered at her side and she grabbed a bulletproof vest from the backseat. "OK, I'm here, what is the plan?"

Moss had answered Adrian's call with his fairly standard responce of "Ok, we gohen and where?". Once he had the information he got changed into his Dedicated clothes, and with his Knothole on it's thong around his neck, he headed straight down to the bar. Inside he nodded to Jeremy as he got a bottle of J2O, then went to claim a booth for the gang when they arrived.

"We have the location of the hunters and I think they are both home tonight. We have their van in the parking lot," he points, "over there."

"I think our strategy is to send myself and Moss up to the door. Moss will look like he's alone and will have to come up with a good line for getting them to open the door. When the door opens, I'll go in guns blazing - silenced. Moss will come in and shut the door. We take them both down then bring you two up."

"Moss and I'll will have them handcuffed. If we find the sniper rifle, we call the police and have them come by and pick them up. If not, we find something else to implicate them in the time we have before trouble comes."

"Jeremy and Sam come up and check the place out for clues on what our two hunters have been doing, who they have been tracking, and who they might be tied to. We can all check around for things we don't want the cops to find - things that can be used to hurt us. Sam, I need you to look for anything that ties them up the food chain, or to make sure nothing does."

"If that's okay, I'm going to go off and hide then sneak back here. It's how my gift works. Give me a minute Moss, and I'll be at your side."

"Jeremy, do you have a gun? If not, let me get you one. These guys need to be stopped and if they get out the door, Sam and you need to stop them. Lives are on the line."

"How does that sound?"

Adrian grins,

"Sure thing, bartender. You want to get into it, I'm not going to say no. Now either you or Moss is going to have to come up with a line to get one of them to open up the door for two of you. With you and Moss going hand to hand, that pretty much garuntees we can get one relatively unharmed and concious."

"Sam, I still want you safely outside."

"Works for me, but if need be I can give backup." Samantha shrugged and patted the Glock on her hip. "You guys should know that I may not be able to read anything by the by. If you go charging in there guns blazing you're likely to override any psychic impressions on the room and their equipment."

"We are trying to keep them alive, if that helps. We are likely to scare the crap out of them though," Adrian grins.

Looking at the two males,

"Give me one minute from now and I'll be right at your side."

With that he walked over behind a dumpster and seemed to duck down. Nothing spectacular happened. A minute passed and it was time to go with no sign of their third partner.

Adrian remained hidden until he felt the glove of shadow shielding him from casual sight. After that he followed Jeremy and Moss. His pistols came out complete with silencers and he took his position at a point he wouldn't interfere with the movements of the two. All he had to do was wait for the knock on the door and the door to open.

Moss turned to Jeremy and Sam, "Before we go in there I want to see if I can have a listen at the door. So I'll try to sneak up there on my own, then wave you up, Ok?"

With their assent he mades his way up to the door as quietly as he could, looking out for tripwires and security equipment on the way. Once there he turns to door so that they are looking at his back. After briefly listening at the door, he gets the Knothole out, and once activated he uses it to look into the room beyond the door.

Click to reveal..

Sneak Roll = Dex + Stealth = 4dice

(02:14:29) ChatBot: (Moss) rolls 4d10 and gets 10,7,8,4.

(02:14:36) ChatBot: (Moss) rolls 1d10 and gets 5.

2 sux

Perception roll = Wits + Composure = 5 dice for security

(02:15:23) ChatBot: (Moss) rolls 5d10 and gets 6,5,2,3,10.

(02:15:29) ChatBot: (Moss) rolls 1d10 and gets 8.

2 sux

Perception Roll = 5 dice for Listening at the door

(02:16:10) ChatBot: (Moss) rolls 5d10 and gets 9,6,9,1,2.

2 sux

1 Essence to Activate the Knothole?

Looking through the Knothole

Perception roll = 5 dice

(02:16:55) ChatBot: (Moss) rolls 5d10 and gets 2,9,7,4,5.

1 sux

There is no security, at least that he can see, and Moss makes it to the door without any trouble. He can't hear anything except the sounds of an active TV, and when he looks through the Knothole, he sees two men matching Sam's description watching the news in quiet, rapt attention.

He puts the Knothole away and waves Jeremy up, once he gets there Moss whispers to him, "I didn't spot any security, and it sounds like they are watching the News. Come up with any good lines or should I just try claiming it's a pizza delivery?"

Samantha jumped up onto her cars hood, the heat from the cooling engine felt nice in the cool evening air. The weather had been all over the place this spring and soon the summer heat would settle in and proceed to bake the city. She kicked her feet idly waiting for whatever was going to happen to happen.

Nodding to Jeremy, Jason straightens up and knocks on the door, "Pizza delivery."

Click to reveal..

Try a Subterfuge roll

Man + Subterfuge = 3d10

(20:17:09) ChatBot: (Moss) rolls 3d10 and gets 7,4,3.

0 sux

There was some shuffling heard inside then the Knothole went dark. Moss stood close enough so that all he could see was the werewolves head and upper chest.

"We didn't order any pizza," came the voice inside.

"Listen buddy, I'll just go down and charge it to your room and see what the night manager has to say about this."

There was mumbling from inside then,

"Hold on."

The slide bolt disconnected then the door opened. The guy was in urban camouflague pants and a green army shirt. His brown hair was on the long side, and he needed a bath. They eyed each other for that crucial second were the door was partially open and the Hunter could see there were two man and no pizza warmer.

The charade was over. Jeremy pulled the door open and went for the Hunter. The Hunter's guard was up now, but Jeremy swung around, clamped a hand over the guy's mouth, and arm-locked him. "Alright, Moss," he announced, "let's go!"

Click to reveal..

Hunter rolls 4d10 for Wits+Composure: 6,3,8,3 = 1 sux.

Hunter gains defense.

Jeremy rolls 3d10 for grapple: 6,5,9 = 1 sux.

Hunter grappled by Jeremy.

Moss moved quickly into the room straight for the other guy and tried to fall Jeremy's example in subduing the Hunter.

Click to reveal..

Wits + Composure 4 dice for Hunter

(01:21:50) ChatBot: (Hunter) rolls 4d10 and gets 10,5,8,5.

(01:22:01) ChatBot: (Hunter) rolls 1d10 and gets 6.

2 sux - Hunter gets Defence

Moss Dex + Brawl = 5 dice - 2 Defence = 3dice

(01:24:07) ChatBot: (Moss) rolls 3d10 and gets 5,6,1.

Fail

But he failed to get the guy in the lock that he recently learned at his Kung Fu class.

"Shit! Any time you want to join in Adrian." Moss calls out in a conversational tone.

Adrian floated into the room and his emotions faded. He felt a clarity - he felt alive. The guns came up and he appeared next to Jeremy. One gun came down and the other pointed past No Moss. Simultaneously, they fired with that smooth clicking actin and muffled explosion that came from silenced guns.

The bullet against the first hunter in the thigh and the man cried out in pain. The second bullet took the second hunter in the shoulder and spun him back toward Moss. There was still the smell of cordite in the room.

"The next sonuvabitch to move dies," Adrian hissed.

Click to reveal..

Grappled opponent(20:59:24) ChatBot: (Thomas) rolls 10d10 and gets 5,5,1,2,5,10,7,8,9,5.

(21:00:05) ChatBot: (Thomas) rolls 1d10 and gets 9=4 wounds

Ungrappled opponent(20:59:51) ChatBot: (Thomas) rolls 9d10 and gets 5,10,1,6,1,10,6,3,9.

(21:00:23) ChatBot: (Thomas) rolls 2d10 and gets 6,8= 4 wounds

Intimidate: (21:08:40) (Thomas): Spending a Willpower

(21:08:50) ChatBot: (Thomas) rolls 5d10 and gets 7,3,7,2,3= a whole lot of nothing.

Upon seeing Adrian, the hunters' faces became hardened, as at last they realized what foes they were facing. "Never, demon's spawn!" barked the man Moss tried to take down, and he rushed at Adrian, trying to grab his guns, but was shoved off to one side. His companion was able though to force his way out of Jeremy's lock and turn around to face the bartender.

Click to reveal..

Grappled Hunter rolls 1d10: 9.

Grappled Hunter 1 breaks free.

Ungrappled Hunter 2 rolls 1d10 to grapple Adrian: 4.

Adrian looks to the man who is trying to grapple with him and in a splint second makes a crucial decision. He has little problem killing those who cross the lines and kill the innocent themselves, be they supernatural or not. His team mates on the other hand may not be made of the same moral fiber. Killing my come across as excessive. Besides, he is sure it would be something Sam would disapprove of. He brought the pistol down like a club and smashed it into his collarbone. The man grunted in pain and was staggered.

Click to reveal..

(15:37:39) ChatBot: (Adrian) rolls 5d10 and gets 2,9,4,9,10.

(15:37:48) ChatBot: (Adrian) rolls 1d10 and gets 1=3 Bashing wounds. The guy now has 7 wounds. He is -3 to all actions. He is in a bad way. Go get him.

Jeremy heard the sounds of the other hunter going down, and decided to get finish things now. His opponent proved harder to hit, and Jeremy realized that this would be a bit more difficult.

Click to reveal..

Jeremy rolls 2d10 to attack Hunter 1: 6,6.

No damage.

Hunter 1 has 4 lethal and no penalties.

Hunter 2 has 4 lethal, 3 bashing, and -3 penalties.

Seeing the one go down, Moss turns to help Jeremy with the other, going for a straight strike to try to put him down.

Click to reveal..

STR + Brawl = 4dice

(22:28:43) ChatBot: (Moss) rolls 4d10 and gets 5,8,9,6.

Moss connects and the guy grunts and drops to his knees.

It doesn't look good for the Hunters, but they'll go out fighting. Unfortunately for the Hunter fighting Moss and Jeremy, he lashes out at Jeremy, but misses and topples to the ground.

Adrian's foe swings wildly, a blow which Adrian sidesteps easily.

Click to reveal..

Hunter 1 rolls chance 1d10: 1.

Dramatic failure, and Hunter falls prone.

Hunter 2 rolls chance 1d10: 4.

No damage.

Adrian comes up and clocks him upside his head, glancing his pistol off his target as opposed to driving it home in his temple. Again, there was no reason to kill the man right now. They had them pretty defenseless already and one was down. His left handed pistol went into his holster and his hand went down to reach his collapsable baton. Beating people with silenced pistols was hard on the silencers and made firing the gun hazardous.

Click to reveal..

(18:17:53) ChatBot: (Adrian) rolls 5d10 and gets 4,9,9,8,3.=1 wound as he's pulling his punch. The guy is unconcious.

Jeremy grabbed the head of the last foe standing, and slammed it down. The hunter went out cold. A heavy silence settled for a moment.

Click to reveal..

Jeremy rolls 4d10: 9,4,5,9.

2 bashing damage, and Hunter 1 is out.

Adrian puts away his other pistol and pulls out his baton, extending it with a snap. He goes over the the door and motions for Sam to come up. He then hands Jeremy some handcuffs. He takes another set and puts them on the second hunter. Adrian was a bit surprised that they had done it and it had happened so quickly.

"Anyone know First Aid?" he askes once they have one man on the bed and another in the chair. "They are bleeding."

He didn't love their existance so much, but now they needed them alive for Dash Norton's murder. They needed this wrapped up ... once they had their information from the two.

Jeremy nodded. "I know a bit." After a minute of work on the two, he pronounced the job done.

Click to reveal..

Stopping Hunter 1's bleeding rolls 4d10: 2,8,2,4.

Stopping Hunter 2's bleeding rolls 4d10: 8,3,3,4

Hunter 1 and 2's bleeding has stopped.

Sam looked up as the low puffing sound of Adrian's silenced pistols reached her ears. Her hand went to her gun but she otherwise didn't move, they didn't want her in there and while she hated feeling helpless she wasn't terribly keen on getting into a fight either. She sighed and sat waiting. She didn't have to wait long as not even a minute later Adrian was at the door waving for her to go up. Samantha slide down off the car and checked the area for signs of people watching. Satisfied that there was nobody paying attention where they shouldn't Sam headed up towards the room.

Adrian sat down in a chair by the room's desk. His gloved hands wrestled with the metal cylinder attached to one of his pistols. After some fussing, he detached the silencer and put the ruined piece of hardware in his pocket. He put the gun back in his shoulder holster.

"Sam," he said addressing his mentor, "neither one will bleed to death today at least. They've been roughed up, but they are alive. The shooting was my fault."

At least she didn't seem angry with him.

Click to reveal..

(15:42:40) (Adrian): Wits+Empathy to Determine Mood

(15:42:47) ChatBot: (Adrian) rolls 6d10 and gets 10,5,3,7,3,9.

(15:42:57) ChatBot: (Adrian) rolls 1d10 and gets 2=2successes

Sam walked in and looked at the men, "You have got to be kidding me... what is this amateur hour? I ... don't wake him you fool, Jesus!" Sam turned quickly around and exited the room, going out onto the landing and the night air. She waited for Adrian, wondering the whole time just how she found herself mixed up in this and then recalling the favor that she'd been granted in exchange. She sighed and heard footsteps come outside. "What the hell kid? You shot you those guys, and then you all have the poor judgment to let them see our faces. Shit, I thought I taught you better than that."

Adrian looked shamefaced at Sam and shuffled his feet a bit. He seemed a bit contemplative as well.

"I figured some masks outside would hurt our chances of getting inside and might have had people call the cops on us ... or increased the likelyhood of the cops being called."

"I'm not much of a thinker, I admit, but it got us in and got these people down. What can we do to salvage the situation?"

"I figure if we can find the weapon that killed Dash Norton we can lead the cops back to them, can't we? We can also look for evidence they have on Jeremy's friends and make sure the cops don't find it."

She sighed, "You blindfold them as soon as you can, that way they don't see all our faces. Yeah we see if we can find the weapon, we can figure something out if we do." Samantha turned and looked at him, "I'm not sure what you need me here for though. You and your buddies can toss the place as easy as I could. Is there something you need me to do? Something specific?" The way she asked indicated what she mean; Samantha wanted to know if he was looking for her to try and do her "thing".

She turned back to looking out into the night, "These are your guys by the way, or at least they are the two I saw when we checked out the scene. Doesn't make this right, but it makes it less wrong I guess."

Adrian nodded. "I'll use the pillow cases inside to blind them and start searching for what we need."

With that he went inside and put things in order. Prisoners were blindfolded and they looked over the place for whatever information they could find. They even looked at keychains to decern what vehicle the two hunters had been using. All papers and computers were gone through. Any weapons gathered to see if they might be the 'one' that had killed Dash. When things were set, he went back for Sam.

"We have some things gathered for you to look at and they are both concious now, though one is faking it. You want to come in now? It's as good as we are going to get."

Samantha shrugged and walked into the room. The men had been tied to the chairs and now had pillow cases over their heads. She looked over the weapons, "Probably this one based on what we found." Sam turned and walked over the man who was clearly awake, the younger of the two, and the less experienced one, she guessed. She tapped on his head with her index finger, "Why'd you do it? Hm? Why'd you kill that man? No ... no, don't deny it, we know you and your buddy killed Dash Norton and we want to know why. I can be nice about this or we can do it the hard way, the choice is yours but I don't think his friends would mind the hard way one bit."

Click to reveal..

INterrogation roll

(11:35:12) ChatBot: (Samantha) rolls 5d10 and gets 5,9,7,3,8.

result = 2 sux

Moss examines the weapons and other equipment they have (with gloves on). After checking Sam's comment about there being a rifle of the correct calibre for the casings they found he then looks to see if there is any indication of where they may have gotten the equipment from. The other Hunters would likely have gotten their gear from the same place, which could give a lead on tracking them down.

Click to reveal..

Int + Investigation = 3 dice

(00:37:29) ChatBot: (Moss) rolls 3d10 and gets 2,6,10.

(00:37:37) ChatBot: (Moss) rolls 1d10 and gets 6.

1 sux

Archived