World of Darkness: The Academy - Chapter 2d: Diversion

Dawn OOC

"Look, it's a dog bite Ok? Stitch it up, give me a rabies shot if you have to, a tetnus booster and a packet of penicilliin and I'll walk out of here. I've had worse than this in Iraq, but I know enough to just go home and get on with some studying for a week or two."

It was true, Jason had had worse, and since he could still move he didn't intend staying no matter what they said. While they were without any medical staff for a moment Jason pulls Thomas in close and says to him, "Just keep an eye out that they don't start pumping me with sedatives, Ok?"

"Mister, I've seen a dog bite," the nurse said, "and this is a dog mauling. You are near death and I'm not going to be responsible for 'stitching you up' and letting you walk with some antibiotics. You need surgery to close these wounds, immediately."

The nurses were wrestling him onto the back board as two more came out with a gurney - and a doctor. The gasped when she saw the wounds. "Prep the OR," she ordered, kneeling down to take his vitals.

Thomas stepped up and projected himself forcefully.

Click to reveal..

(12:07:03) ChatBot: (Thomas) rolls 7d10 and gets 5,2,10,7,10,6,3.

(12:07:11) ChatBot: (Thomas) rolls 2d10 and gets 5,10.

(12:07:18) ChatBot: (Thomas) rolls 1d10 and gets 8.

"Nurse ... Nurse Fuller, my friend is lucid and in control of his facilities. If you perform ANY procedure that he has not requested on him, he and the Academy will sue you and this hospital. Is that clear?"

"You will not sedate him. You will not operate. If you refuse to treat him under these conditions, I will take him elsewhere, but you will NOT operate on my friend if he doesn't want to be operated on. If you can't follow these simple instructions, we will find someone who can."

"That's alright Nurse, I have this," the doctor said, standing up and moving between Thomas and the nurse. "Keep working," she ordered them, and they obeyed. Short of physically fighting them, Jason was getting treated.

"Mr...?"

"Thomas Burke of Dalton Academy."

Mr. Burke, I'm Dr. Winfrey." The very white doctor paused to see if he would make a crack about her name, then pressed on. "Your friend is on the verge of death. I'm shocked he's made it this far. At this point, I'm legally obligated to treat him to the point of stabilization. I could lose my license if I let him walk and he dies, and his family could sue."

Her face went a little red with heightened emotions as she added, "So if I'm going to get sued, I'm going to do it saving someone's life instead of letting them die. And you can get out of our way, or I'll have the police come and arrest you for negligent homicide. Because if you take him out of here now, that's likely to be the outcome." She turned back to Jason and leaned over him, returning to her work. "You can take him home when I think he'll survive the trip. Given how tough he is, that should be later tonight."

As Thomas watched, they lifted him onto the gurney and started to push him inside.

Damn it! I gave it my best shot.

His hands went into his pockets as he stared into the Doctor's eyes. They widened slightly. It was the gun he found in one of them.

Well, that's an insane thought, he thought. I'm not one to use physical violence and besides, she would probably beat me up. Damn, I should have taken him to Brahn's Magic Sister first. What an idiot.

"Okay, Dr. Winfrey, when do you expect him to be concious again? I'm sure the moment he is, he will be ready to get going. I need to go back to school and see this mess is taken care of, but I can be back as soon as needed."

He acted like what he was - a man with a lot of plates spinning in the air and now distraught that he had let one fall.

Damn, but I'm not getting any sleep tonight. Bury the beasts, get the healer to stay, run back and forth to the hospital. What am I doing here again, and were's Sean?

"I think he'll be out of surgery in a couple of hours, and awake not too long after that," she said, turning back to speak to him. "Let me have your number, and I'll call when he's out so you can head back to pick him up."

Thomas pulled out a reciept form his pocket and a pen from his jacket. Writing awkwardly on his knee, he wrote out his digits and his name then gave them to the Doctor.

"Thank you Doctor Winrey. You've been very understanding in this situation. Maybe one day I'll be able to return the favor. I've got to run now."

Thomas made to leave the hospital and get back to finding Sean. With those wounds, there was no way he could let the boy not get some kind of attention.

Archived