World of Darkness: The Academy - Chapter 2d: Diversion

Dawn OOC

It was Zen; it was everything; it was nothing. Ryan lived in a world that was just running feet and fleeting thoughts, instinctive reactions and mindless movements. He knew that a small shed was somewhere ahead of him, a place that the kids sometimes snuck out to, so that they could smoke or make out. Last year, the administration had put up a fence around it to keep the kids out, and it worked for some of them. Ryan was not one of those kids. Still, he was too antsy to stop, so he started to move on-

The door was open. It was normally padlocked shut, another measure that the administration had taken to try to keep the kids out of it. But the while the padlock was still closed and in the hasp, the metal connector had been torn out of the wall. The fence was intact, but Ryan knew that meant nothing. Something might be in there – should he check it out?

Ryan frowned as he saw the open door and the damage. He hadn't really realized it but he had been heading here because it was a place he wasn't likely to find other students. He wondered if some homeless person hadn't decided to take refuge from the elements within. His feet slowed and he crept up to the fence quietly, scaling it with the grace and precision of a cat he dropped noiselessly into the enclosure and slowly made his way toward the open door, his eyes peeled and his ears searching for any sign of its present occupant.

Click to reveal..

Stealth -2 over fence

(12:56:48) ChatBot: (Ryan_Jackson) rolls 5d10 and gets 8,3,8,8,6.

Result = 3 sux

Stealth base to shed

(12:56:56) ChatBot: (Ryan_Jackson) rolls 7d10 and gets 2,9,2,7,1,2,9.

Result = 2 sux

Wits+Composure

(13:01:09) ChatBot: (Ryan_Jackson) rolls 5d10 and gets 9,5,3,4,1.

Result = 1 sux

Ryan crept forward silently, thrilled that he was being so stealthy! He was like the wind... or like a ninja... or a ninja made of wind! He sobered up as he approached his goal, peering into the shed without entering it.

Someone was obviously camping here. A kerosene lantern, its wick turned down to the point of suffocation, cast a dim glow around the room. Empty food wrappers were neatly piled near the lawn mowers. Blankets were piled around a sleeping form; the identity of the person was clear when Ryan saw a familiar scabbard poking out from under the blankets.

He'd found the crazy sword lady, alone and asleep in her bed.

Click to reveal..
Relana's Perception check: 4 sux vs. Ryan's 3 sux - Relana wins

1d10=10, 1d10=6, 1d10=3, 1d10=10, 1d10=8, 1d10=8

1d10=1, 1d10=3

Relana's Perception check: 1 sux vs. Ryan's 2 sux - Failure

1d10=4, 1d10=5, 1d10=2, 1d10=7, 1d10=8, 1d10=6

Swell that explains a lot, the crazy lady with the sword is also homeless. Probably mentally unbalanced to boot. Wonder how much Deek paid her to act out his nutty little prank. Ryan watched for a few minutes, silently appraising the figure for any sign that he was heard. Satisfied he backed away, his eyes remaining on the woman and then the door of the shed as he moved back toward the fence. Once he reached the fence Ryan quickly scaled it, wincing as the chain link rattled against the galvanized steel poles that held it upright. He dropped to the ground on the other side and waited, looking, listening for any sign that she had heard him and was coming after him.

Click to reveal..

Stealth away to the fence:

(15:36:14) ChatBot: (Ryan_Jackson) rolls 7d10 and gets 10,8,8,5,9,6,5.

(15:36:19) ChatBot: (Ryan_Jackson) rolls 1d10 and gets 2.

Result = 4 sux

Stealth up and over the fence:

(15:36:24) ChatBot: (Ryan_Jackson) rolls 5d10 and gets 5,6,3,5,3.

Result = 0

Wits+Comp

(15:37:24) ChatBot: (Ryan_Jackson) rolls 5d10 and gets 10,3,6,8,4.

(15:37:28) ChatBot: (Ryan_Jackson) rolls 1d10 and gets 5.

Result = 2 sux

There was no movement from the shed, and after a few minutes, Ryan soon scuttled off to find some help.

Click to reveal..
Relana's Stealth check: 3 sux vs Ryan's 1 on Wits + Composure - Relana wins

1d10=10, 1d10=3, 1d10=6, 1d10=10, 1d10=2

1d10=9, 1d10=4

Relana's Perc check: 4 sux

1d10=1, 1d10=9, 1d10=10, 1d10=4, 1d10=8, 1d10=2

1d10=9

Ryan's Stealth to creep away: 7 sux

(15:56:59) ChatBot: (Ryan_Jackson) rolls 7d10 and gets 10,9,6,9,10,7,10.

(15:57:05) ChatBot: (Ryan_Jackson) rolls 3d10 and gets 9,9,2.

Ryan's feet were like the wind over the grass, his moment's quiet and swift. He made a beeline for the main campus and as soon as he got to the first building he climbed it easily gaining the roof and a better vantage point in but a few seconds. He stopped and swept his eyes across the campus looking for Thomas or any other faculty or a security guard. Anybody would do really, he just wanted to tell them about the homeless woman and then be away again.

Click to reveal..

(16:07:47) (Ryan_Jackson): Athletics as a rote to climb

(16:07:52) ChatBot: (Ryan_Jackson) rolls 8d10 and gets 2,2,3,4,4,1,9,8.

(16:07:58) ChatBot: (Ryan_Jackson) rolls 6d10 and gets 3,2,10,9,2,10.

(16:08:02) ChatBot: (Ryan_Jackson) rolls 2d10 and gets 1,2.

Result = 5 sux

Wits+Comp

(16:10:02) ChatBot: (Ryan_Jackson) rolls 5d10 and gets 8,3,2,9,9.

Result = 3 sux

"Oh, kid, for the love of God... please get down," the guard said after Ryan had gotten his attention. "You're not supposed to be up there!" The man looked awful, and as Ryan assessed him, he doubled over with a nasty cough, struggling to breathe. Whatever had struck campus clearly still had him in its grip.

"Come on... really!"

"Yeah yeah, but I'm telling you that crazy woman who was here last night is living in the shed on the west edge of the campus. I saw the door open and there was a light inside and I could see her." Ryan climbed down as easy as could be, jumping the last fifteen feet or so and coming up in a roll as though it were not effort which it was.

"Ok, we'll send someone out there to find her soon enough," he said, coughing again. "For now, get to your room and stay there. Weird stuff is going down and we're instituting an early curfew. Tell any other kids you see to get inside and stay there."

"No shit man, that's what I'm trying to tell you. I dunno if that crazy lady heard me or not, but she had a SWORD, you should send a couple of people and now not soon. What if she gets it in her whacked out head to go on another stabbing spree?!" Ryan was flabbergasted at the man's attitude. He started walking away figuring maybe he would need to locate Thomas after all, at least he was taking this stuff seriously, even if he was taking it a little too seriously. As soon as he was out of line of sight of the guard Ryan scaled the nearest building and started looking around the campus again trying to find somebody else or to see if the homeless woman had been stirred into action.

Click to reveal..

Athletics, rote

(17:04:31) ChatBot: (Ryan_Jackson) rolls 8d10 and gets 10,8,5,3,7,5,6,3.

(17:04:38) ChatBot: (Ryan_Jackson) rolls 6d10 and gets 1,10,5,8,7,7.

(17:04:41) ChatBot: (Ryan_Jackson) rolls 2d10 and gets 1,4.

Result = 4 sux

Perc

(17:04:48) ChatBot: (Ryan_Jackson) rolls 5d10 and gets 7,10,1,7,8.

(17:04:51) ChatBot: (Ryan_Jackson) rolls 1d10 and gets 6.

Result = 2 sux

Zack was making his wa back to Lancaster alone. The girls, Renata and Lucia had disappeared, likely sneaking back. "Fine get in trouble with the headmaster, I'm going to be in enough at the moment, no need to add further to it."

Things were getting to weird around here. He was still wondering what he was going to tell his father. He'd have to approach Ms. Dorn later on the matter. I the need arose he'd point out it was his connections that had brought the Headmaster out, and he needed to keep up his end of the deal with his father.

Chester stopped, noticing one of the juniors who had prominently made discussion with the intruders at the social. The guy said to always be climbing or something. Dang. Might as well try to get him down before he gets hurt. Chester walked up to the guy, calling up "Are you looking for severe injuries?"

Sean shuffled his way through the quad on his way to his room. His shirtless torso had popped out with beads of sweat, despite the coolness of the evening. His hands were knotted in the blood-stained silk of his green jersey, instinctively trying to still their trembling.

I killed something--No! Someone! Two someones. They might have been monster...like, but they thought and reacted like people, mostly. I'm a fucking football player and boxer. I compete, I don't kill. But I did kill, and it felt...

By the twisted steel in the center of the quad, Sean fell to his knees, heaving again, but only acidic bile came up. Wiping his mouth on his stained jersey, his jaw locked tight, trembling, trying to hold back the tears.

Stick close," Thomas ground out, close toe exhaustion from helping Jason down the slope. Even with Micah's help, it had been quite a burden for the slight teacher.

"I've only treated really minor sports stuff before this so I'm going to call the ambulance now and report you two being mauled by a pair of wild beasts in the woods. Are you three okay with that cover story?"

His eyes scanned over to Brahn, but mostly just to see he was still with them. Thomas then pulled out his cell phone and called 911. He reported the situation and included that first aid was being provided, but that one of the people definitely needed an abmulance. Then he hung up and waited for about a minute.

It occured to him that someone else needed in on the loop.

"Give me your weapons Jason," he asked of the (sort of) big man. "I need to hide them from the head master. You can get them from me when you get back."

Then he called the headmaster. Again, he had the same story. He hoped it would get him through the awful questions that were to come.

Ryan grimaced, he;d just seen the other guys come stumbling into the quad from somewhere else. Jason looked like he'd been hit by a truck and as he watched Sean fell to his knees and was sick on the ground. Thomas and Micah were half walking half dragging the groundskeeper with them. "Shit, I hate being right." Ryan flipped easily over the parapet and scrambled down the side the building dropping and swinging from window sills to a drainpipe to a nearby tree and then to the ground. "I told them that they shouldn't try and do something stupid. Look..." Ryan walked over to Zack and pointed over towards Thomas and the others.

"Well, Thomas, speaking as the one with a chunk taken out of my abdomen, I'll happily take a few days out rather than a couple of weeks in hospital. You tell your healer to come on by Brahn, I'll be glad to see them."

With one arm cradling his stomach Jason starts to stagger off in the direction of his cottage at the edge of the school grounds.

Brahn frowned at the general situation, but she didn't seem inclined to leave yet. As Jason started to move, he gently stopped him. "Perhaps you should sit down. Or should someone carry you? You risk further damage should you fall. My sister cannot heal death."

In the distance they heard sirens, and Brahn blinked. "Are those the howls of the authority here?"

Addressing Jason,

"You sure you want to pay their price? If so, I just made a phone call for nothing ... save questions. Maybe we can convince them you want to convelece in your home. Maybe."

On hearing the sirens, Thomas looks confused then concerned.

"Brahn, those ARE the sound of authority, but they are also way too early. I'm not sure they are an ambulance, or the sheriff. The sheriff means some uncomfortable questions. Brahn you stand in the back and stay out of the way. Try to not look too curious. If asked, you are a friend of mine from college up for a short stay while you are traveling. My name is Thomas Burke as a reminder. College is a place of higher learning. I'm an education major."

Sigh.

"Lie set, lets let help get here."

Brahn looked at his gray skin and sighed. "I do not think your authority will be comfortable with me, even in the back of the crowd. I'll just go hide - better than lying and attracting any attention at all." He smiled at Jason. "I'll bring my sister to your house after the authority leaves."

Turning, he disappeared into the shadows, almost as if by magic.

The sirens approached; before they were there, the county sheriff himself walked into the quad from the parking lot. He looked at Jason and Sean and his eyebrows rose. "What the hell happened to you two? Didja fight Cujo and lose?"

"Pretty much. We had heard some barking out near the boundry line and went looking to see what it was - you know, an animal in distress, or something like that. Instead we found to wild dogs who attacked us. The beat up Jason rather bad and bit Sean. Micah and I are okay."

"Jason here wants to get some more medical attention, but doesn't feel a hospital stay is in order. Sean feels the same way. I've tried to talk them out of it, but they are stubborn. If that's okay, I'm just going to take them to the infirmary and have the nurse deal with them there."

"Can you see to it that this minor accident isn't reported? I mean, both men will stay on campus. No one needs to be brought in on this."

He remained grim, because this was a grim incident, but hopeful that he could persuade the Sheriff to let this whole thing die-out of its own accord.

Click to reveal..

The Lie: Manip+Subterfuge+Willpower = (13:19:31) ChatBot: (Thomas) rolls 4d10 and gets 10,10,9,1.

(13:19:38) ChatBot: (Thomas) rolls 2d10 and gets 8,4= 4 successes.

The Persuasion: Presence+Persuasion+Striking Looks = (13:21:25) ChatBot: (Thomas) rolls 9d10 and gets 1,2,7,2,1,4,9,3,4 = 1 success frown

"Actually, you boys need to go to the hospital," the sheriff said, "and I'll tell you why. Rabies. You got wild dogs ripping into you, and you need to get the series of shots. Serious matter. Could be fatal, assumin' you don't bleed ta death." He eyed the amount of blood on Jason's pants and shirt. "If you ain't already. Be reasonable, lads. You're in a serious way." He shrugged and added, "We can not report it, don't matter to me since it was animals and not people attackin' ya, but you still need to get them shots. For public safety, I gotta insist on that much."

He didn't seem irritable or upset, just matter-of-fact. He was concerned about them, and with clear reason.

"Thank you Sheriff. I see that they are taken care of then. We can take a ride in my car."

Back to the Sheriff.

"We'll be heading out now. Micah help me get to the parking lot. You can stay here and go back to your common room in Mars, okay? Sean, come on now."

With that, he gets to one side of Jason, letting Micah get to the other and they start marching to Thomas' car. Thomas makes sure Sean is following.

Sean scrubbed the tears from his eyes on a shoulder, then stood up, gritting his teeth. He looked around at the people who had gethered, noting the sheriff.

"I'm fine Thom, just need a few stitches. The dogs weren't foaming or nothing. Do I really need to go?"

I killed, and didn't feel bad about it. I felt triumphant even, powerful, unbeatable. I feet bad because I didn't feel bad about killing those... things.

"The Sheriff wants us to go and get those rabies shots, so we are going to get them."

His look to Sean says a whole lot more, as they dart in the direction of the sheriff quickly and back again.

"I'm sure the Sheriff is going to look in on us to make sure everything is on the up and up. Best to just get this over with."

And not have to answer any questions about this whole misadventure.

Sean's stormy eyes were grey and overcast, the turmoil within him seething just below the surface. He just wanted to scrub the blood - *and bones and brains* - off, then go to bed, to the sweet oblivion of unconsciousness; he knew Mr. Burke was right to allay the sheriff's suspicions, but he couldn't bring himself to care.

"Fine," Sean said with a reluctant nod.

"If you go right now, you'll be admitted," the sheriff pointed out. "While I'm not adverse to that-"

A shrill alarm cut the evening air, and the sheriff turned toward the parking lot. "Sheee-yte," he snapped, then took off at a run. He moved surprisingly fast for his dumpy-looking body, and in kind of an odd crouch. It reminded those watching of the way people run in war movies, as if expecting someone to try to put a bullet in their head. Whatever the alarm was, it had completely distracted him from their plight.

Zack took the confusion to slip away, not really wanting to be around the sherriff. things would get back to his dad and that would mean even more questions for him later.

He quietly and quickly made his way back to the sanctuary of Lancaster Dorm.

Sean made it to Mars House unhindered. He slipped in the door, then quietly ran up the stairs to his dorm room, his leg throbbing in neglected pain.

Pausing only to throw his bloody jersey in the garbage and to grab a towel and soap, Sean headed towards the communal bathroom. He turned on a shower to warm up, while he undressed, the tattered remains of his shorts going into another waste bucket.

Sean stood beneath the water, the almost scalding heat reddening his skin, as he scrubbed his skin nearly raw removing the remainng residue of the truly alien invaders. As the water began to soak the gauze wrapped around his leg, he unwound it and threw it to the floor.

The sound of the single shower in the accoustics of the tiled room was lonely.

Finally feeling clean, a lassitude easing into his bones, Sean dried himself off slowly, then applied fresh gauze from the med kit under the sink to his wound. He wrapped the towel around his waist and walked back to his room, his thoughts blessedly unfocused.

Sean had meant only to sit down on the bed, but before he knew it, he was laying down, his heavy eyes tugging him towards sleep. He didn't resist, setting his mind adrift, to dream.

Jason turns to Thomas as th Sherrif dashs off to the carpark, "I'll go along for this useless shot if I have to, but I'm not staying beyond getting some stiches." With that he continues staggering over to Thomas' car.

"Trust me, I want to put this night behind me as much as you do. I'll get you that shot and back to this ... Healer. Do you want me to hang around for that, or do you want to risk it on your own?"

By this time they are at the passanger side of the car and Thomas opens the door.

"Micah, go back to your dorm and come by my office during office hours tomorrow. We've got to make a record of what happened to us tonight - just in case. Let me know if you see Brahn again."

"Now, get gone. No need for you to get in any more trouble."

Sitting Jason down, Thomas grimaces. He's going to have to clean the seat tonight before the blood sets. He stops worrying though and goes around to the driver's side. He starts up the car and thinks one more time about Sean. That's a problem he knows will get left till tomorrow. Time to get Jason to the hospital.

Sitting down in the car Jason checks that the bandages aren't leaking yet as he puts the back of the seat down to ease the pressure on the wound. So he is semi-laying in the car.

"Up to you if you want to come, I don't mind either way. However, it might be handy to have another set of eyes there to help record things as you say. Heh, if they let us, perhaps we could video whatever it is they do. I've got a cheap video camera I had over seas still about."

"One thing that just occured to me is the Sherrif. How long has he been here? Perhaps he knows more about what happend back in the 70's?"

Thomas didn't say much on his way to the hospital. He was deep in thought, or maybe shock. It was hard to lock his thoughts onto anything for long. In fact, he wasn't really aware of driving, only that he automatically followed Jason's directions to the local clinic.

They entered through the emergency doors, Jason leaning on Thomas. A group of chatting nurses were smoking in a shelter away from the door; they abandoned their smokes when they caught sight of Jason. "Oh, my god!" one of them shouted, moving to Jason's side. "Hold on, sir, we'll get you inside immediately. Just lay down, yeah, right here in the lobby."

Another one of the nurses got a backboard and came running back out, as the first looked at Thomas. "Are you family, sir?"

They were incredibly concerned by Jason's state.

"He has been attacked by a wild dog up in the woods outside Dalton Academy. We killed it, but it tore a huge chunk out of Jason here."

"I'm Thomas Burke, a fellow facilty member, but not family. Now, this may sound odd, but Jason is insisting that he be back on campus tonight. As bad as he is, I hope you can make it so."

"I don't know what kind of dog wit was, but it didn't seem rabid. The Sheriff has already been informed of the incident."

"Can I keep an eye on Jason - make sure he's not alone and such? He's been a real friend to me so far."

Burke did his best to seem sincere and to convince the nurse that he could stay close to Jason. If necessary, he would steal him away from the hospital as soon as professionals had tended to his wounds - if necessary.

Archived