Alternity: The Elements of Eternity - Ep. 1 - Destiny in Motion (The Rescue)

Round 1

Init: 5 (yay natural 1!)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2147227/
Using Action point to modify that horrible roll: 6!
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2147258/
Total init: 11

From her crouched position facing the tank, Isis...hesitated, as she tried to adjust to this wholly unexpected scenario. The damage from the blast's shock forced her to recalibrate her equilibrium, even as her brain...advanced, but not instantaneous in its processing...sorted through thousands of new variables. What it came down to was not good.

All her weapons were inadequate to the task of destroying or incapacitating this opponent. She would need high explosives, and possibly high-velocity armor-piercing ammunition at the very least.

Reprioritizing. Obtain cover. Obtain necessary armament.

She broke and ran for the side of the motorpool building, seeking shelter behind its wall. From there she would need to locate the body of a fallen guard. If they all had the standard weapons from the one inside, they'd have a military grade rifle and two grenades each. Not much against a tank, but maybe enough to have a chance.

The others heard over their radios, "Stay inside and under cover. Under no circumstances leave the building at this time."

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Initiative: 9

The whir of the gyros told Isis that the tank was repositioning on her location. her sensors picked up a the crackle of another high energy release before the high tech muzzle flash of the turret echoed through the zone.

The wall exploded and Isis was thrown to the ground by the powerul impact of the duracrete shattering. Buried under dust and rubble she could 'feel' her servos threatening to shut down under the stress of the constant high powered impacts.

Click to reveal..
Tank missed, but Isis's cover is destroyed. She'll have to find more. She takes no damage, luckily the cover absorbed it so most of that was dramatic effect. Keep in mind there are only so many hiding spots...

Kittani rolls 1d20 and gets 1. (WTF!?) mad

Initiative: 3

"ISIS!" Kittani shouted from her vantage point as the explosion tore into the frame of the artificial human. Her comm beeped to life. "Izzy! Listen up! You can't hide! They're using full spectrum motion detection and echolocation to track your every move with multiband thermals in the IR and UV! This thing is bumpin'!"

She drew her gun from its holster. "Guys, cover me. Izzy, those wasted mecha were sporting T-85 Talon missiles! A warhead from one of those would light that puppy up in a nano!"

She dashed from behind the cover of the protecting doorway and fired several shots at the tank... each harmlessly left a pock mark on its exterior.

Click to reveal..

Hit, but it didn't matter. DR absorbed it. Kitty is attempting to run to one of the empty hover truck, preferably with a weapon mounted in the back of it. She's also staying away from Isis to prevent the two from getting caught in the same blast...

Distraction maybe?

(Initiative = 12)

Fretfully, Milena twisted her hands, looking first in Isis's direction, and then in Kittani's. The hulking mechanical monstrosity seemed utterly invincible to the consort, and it quickly became obvious to her that all of them were in grave danger as the wall crumbled ominously. She wanted to shout at the others, plead with them to do something, anything, but the words would not come.

Instead, Milena found herself dashing away from the relative safety of the doorway, darting breathlessly toward the death-machine. Some long-buried instinct surfaced, burning in her chest with a searing, undeniable brilliance that outshone the cold fear clutching her heart. She could hear the cold, precise hum of its workings, could see the long barrel swinging about, and pumped her long, half-bare legs as fast and hard as she could. Golden eyes fixed on the shadow beneath the turret, and she set her jaw with uncharacteristically grim determination.

Now that she had committed to a course of action, she could not, would not turn back. Even if it availed her nothing, she would never be able to forgive herself for simply letting these people die... not for her sake.

Isis' voice in Kittani's comm is ridiculously calm, considering the circumstances.

"Acknowledged."

She rolled lithely to her feet, throwing off powdered duracrete and debris in small explosion of grit, then ran for the nearest smouldering mecha corpse that Shiro had left behind, intending to try to use it for cover from the tracking plasma cannon as she scaled it and attempted to liberate or manually fire one of its rockets.

(Move is 40, double move is 80. Hopefully there's one she can duck behind in that range. :))

Defense: 20, DR 5 (personal force field)

HP: 55 (70-15)

"Goddammit." He keyed the comm. "Acknowledged, Enroute." With that he gunned the Shikon's engine and tore off back to the base in the most direct path.

"Godfuckingdamn tank pieceofshit." He knew they'd called in artillery and he made the rookie mistake of assuming it was a battery, not a goddamn tank. "Stupid malfing bastard, Erebrus is gonna put my ass in a sling for this."

(Will thake 3 full rounds for Shiro to return in the Shikon)

Initiative = 9

Beam after beam of intense, and dangerously overcharged, light bore into the hardened hull of the hover tank. With a hum the cannon pivoted and charged up a blast...

The explosion of blueish plasma rocked the earth where Kittani ran, leading her with the blast and meeting her trajectory with a well placed bolt of destruction.

Click to reveal..

Target - Kittani

To Hit = Roll(1d20)+6:19,+6 Total:25 (Hit!)

Damage = Roll(12d6)+0:3,2,5,1,1,6,3,1,2,6,6,5,+0 Total:41 (Fire)

Gabe ducks down and sprints for the wreckage of the nearest mech, looking to make his way around to the side or back of the tank later if he can't find a salvageable missile to try to launch at the tank.

Pain and agony seared through her body as the plasma cannon tore into the earth and sent Kittani flying through the air. She smashed into the wall of the barracks and 'slid' helplessly down until collapsing to the ground.

Playing dead, she thought, just became her best option as she whimpered and tried not to move, hoping the metallic beast wouldn't finish her off.

Click to reveal..
HP - 1/42. Not taking any action and hoping the thing leaves her alone to focus on larger threats.

The sound of another blast ripped through the air, obliterating even the echo of Milena's own heart thudding madly in her ears. She flinched, but didn't have time to stop and look; if she paused at all, she knew she wouldn't make it, so she kept running as if Death Himself dogged her heels.

Even as her conscious mind bluntly labelled her as a suicidal idiot, memories and sensory impressions flashed through her field of vision, and she wondered idly if this was what they meant by one's life flashing before one's eyes.

Click to reveal.. (Memories)

The thud of a body (hers) hitting the training mat. Rivulets of sweat rolling behind her ears, down the back of her neck, leaving her feeling slightly sticky and uncomfortable in the heat. Her pretty, expensive, and utterly impractical fitness attire clinging unpleasantly here, feeling sodden and heavy there. Muscles protesting in a symphony of aches and bruises as she hauled herself, wobbling, back up to her feet. The sound of her trainer's laughter: good-natured, but no less cutting for its kindness.

"Father Kashmi, I can't do it." Frustration. Self-disgust in her young-girl voice. "How am I supposed to defend myself?" Indignation. "You've got a weapon, I don't, and all I've learned over the past few days is which bath salts to use to make the bruising fade faster." A sigh.

Sunlight turning streaks of grey into silver at her trainer's temples. Laughing brown eyes, faint smile.

"You have a weapon." Patience. Peace in his voice. "Here." A tap of the finger in the middle of her forehead. "More effective than this." Rap of knuckles against the wooden staff. "Learn to use it, and you can end a fight before it's begun, before this (another tap on wood) gets a chance to hurt anyone."

"I'm supposed to think my way through a fight, when someone else is planning on beating me silly?" Skepticism. A pause. Uncertainty. "How am I going to outsmart them into losing, when we're not supposed to advocate violence?"

...Later.

"-closer! There!"

Body aching, salt sweat on her skin. Sound of the staff moving through the air. Spinning, toe-heel, just out of reach, and back in again. Her forearm locked against her classmate's. No room for a second swing.

Exultation. Understanding. The reward of a smile, and a tap of Father Kashmi's finger against her forehead.

"Tomorrow, we counter."

In the aftermath of the blast, faint murmurs of commotion penetrated the ringing in her ears, and she sensed, rather than felt, movement around and behind her. She leaned into her sprint, not daring to slow down as the bitter tang of mortal terror seethed on her tongue. Fifty paces to safety, maybe more.

Thirty. Twenty.

The massive barrel was moving again, and she wondered what it had hit.

Fifteen. A little farther, and she'd be too close to be in range of the cannon.

Ten. Was there a hatch on top? Could she climb up the side?

Five. The consort pushed on, twisting her torso at the last second and forcing her muscles to relax as she struck the side of the tank with a dull, metallic thunk. Wobbling slightly and grimacing at the sensation of bruises already forming, she paused to catch her breath.

With a quick jump, Isis grabbed onto one of the mecha's hydraulic struts and swung up to a crouching position, balanced on a rung of the boarding ladder. She heard the sound of a plasma blast, but it impacted somewhere else.

Haste was necessary.

She scurried up the boarding ladder, then skirted the smoldering, burned out portion of its torso up to the missile pod on its left shoulder. Shrapnel had riddled it, but it might still be jury-riggable. With quick motions, Isis yanked the cover panel off, and started manipulating the manual overrides on the controls underneath.

(Rolling Computer Use and Repair to use as you see fit. AP is on Computer Use. Results: 17 on Computer, and 12 on Repair. If I can AP twice in a row, I'll do that...otherwise I accept my just desserts. :))

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2165011/

"Damn it!" Grumbled a soldier as he looked at a holo display showing Milena's body pressed against the side of the tank. "One of em's under the cannon!"

"Then shoot the bitch." replied another. "I'm about to hose the little robot and her friend like I did the lil blue haired one a sec ago. Fish in a barrel bro, we'll get a week's leave on Bluefall for sure."

The cannon whirred as the servos carried the long barrel over to where Isis, was trying to get the missile battery functional. Arcs of energy raced up the cannon's barrel until finally it launched another enormous bolt of white hot plasma.

The shot trailed off wide as Isis continued to do her work exploding into the motor pool and sending off a series of explosions as fuel and vehicles went up in flames.

"Shit!!! Shit, shit, shit!" The cannoneer shouted. "I hope they don't dock my pay for that."

Click to reveal..
To Hit = Roll(1d20)+6:2,+6 Total:8 (miss)

What are you doing lady... she thought silently as she rolled her pain wracked body over onto her stomach and as carefully as she could propped up her rifle's barrel onto some outcropped debris.

The scope activated and displayed several readouts, all used to improve her aim. Her body ached and she was pretty sure her ribs, a few fingers, and certainly her pride were all broken.

Still, she took aim on the metallic behemoth and hoped for an opening...

Click to reveal..
Move Action - Ready Weapon

Attack Action - Aim (Target: Tank)

Shiro leapt the Shikon into the air and burst through the foliage, landing on the other side of the tank and seeming to airskate a ways away before turning around as he managed the inertia of rapid transit. "Get away from the Tank Now!" He yelled over the com.

He held his fire giving the woman near the tank a chance to get away and make final adjustment to the targeting routine, bringing all the Shikon's weapons to bare.

(holding action to give Milena a chance to get away from the tank before he fires.)

As the bipedal mechanical monstrosity landed in front of her, Milena had only a single panicked moment to react as the hum of weapons being brought into readiness filled the air once more. She darted around the side of the tank, glancing upward as she moved, and praying it didn't give chase. There had to be some way to climb up the side and get to the hatch before the mecha was able to fire, and she was determined to find it.

Click to reveal.. (Action)
Milena is trying to move around to the other side of the tank, away from the perceived threat of Shikon, and trying to find a way off the ground. She is not giving up her position with respect to the tank cannon, remaining close enough to the tank to stay under the barrel should it swing around.

"OH Goddammit." He clicked over the comm unit to the external speakers and his voice built into a near roar. "Get away so I can shoot the GODDAMN TANK!" With that Shiro keys it off transmit and swears continuously at the idiot holding onto the tank. Shiro began to move, taking heed of the tank's cannon, not wanting to get shot again.

(OOC using action to yell at Milena and likely draw the tank's fire.)

Isis hesitated, torn by conflicting directives. On one hand, she had to destroy the tank before it could cause further damage. On the other, she'd been tasked to protect this diplomat.

She raised her voice and called, "Get clear of the tank!"

Then she quickly looked behind her and to the sides, hoping that reinforcements weren't here just yet.

(Looking around to see what's going on behind me and giving Mileena a chance to either move or do what she's gonna do)

"Oh shit...." The soldier murmured as Shikon arrived in a blaze of acrobatic glory. "Dude, I'm so not going out there..."

"Get your ass out there!" The higher ranking Cannoneer screamed as he pushed his partner up as best he could in the cramped space. "Gun them down, I'll blow that piece of scrap away in a heartbeat, you watch!"

With a 'shhhh' the iris of the hatch opened. From side hatch on the tank a heavy machine gun rose up to meet the gunner. "C'mere you bitch... I got something for ya!" He yelled as he began spraying bullets in a wide area around the flank of the tank where Milena was hiding.

Quickly she ducked even further below the horizon of the vehicles massive body, dodging the spray by staying in motion. One by one the large shells 'pinged' of the tank's armor in a display of sparks.

Click to reveal..

[Full-Auto] vs. Defense 10 - Roll(1d20)+6:5,+6 Total:11 (hit)

[Reflex Save vs DC 15, Milena] Roll(1d20)+3:16,+3 Total:19 (success, no damage)

Once again the plasma cannon charged and exploded into life with another blast of comet-like plasma. The bolt hit Shikon clear in the chest sending the mighty mecha staggering back in an impact shower of searing white hot death.

"Haha!" The P.A. system blared. "Suck on that! FOR EMPEROR THULDAN!"

Click to reveal..

Target = Shikon

To Hit = Roll(1d20)+6: 19,+6 Total:25 (Hit)

Damage = Roll(12d6)+0: 3,5,2,4,4,5,6,4,5,6,3,3,+0 Total: 50 (Fire)

Gabe spots the machine gunner emerge from the tank and bracing his plasms pistol against the side of the mech wreckage he is hiding behind takes a shot at him.

Click to reveal..

(11:14:10) ChatBot: (Gabe) rolls 1d20 and gets 12.

= 12+ 7 = 19

Damage = 2d10

(11:17:31) ChatBot: (Gabe) rolls 2d10 and gets 6,8. = 14 damage if he hits.

• 2 weeks later...

The plasma blast from Gabe's pistol lurched the soldier back violently as his armor absorbed the impact. That'll scar... she thought as the soldier recomposed himself and turned the heavy machine gun in Gabe's direction. A shimmering pulse streaked through the air with but barely a whistle of a sound to designate its origin. The thin beam bored cleanly through the soldier's helmet leaving a perfect, cauterized wound the size of a quarter. He slumped over the machine gun a moment later, quite dead. ...but that'll kill ya.

About out of energy she sighed in relief. "Gunner down." She whispered over the comm to the others. "Thanks, Gabe."

Click to reveal..

ChatBot: (Kittani) rolls 1d20 and gets 16 +13 = 29.

ChatBot: (Kittani) rolls 4d8 and gets 3,6,3 = 12. (Fire)

Shiro adjusts and switches over to the recoilless rifle on his right arm and takes aim at the front of the tank. He pulled the trigger and prayed. If I'm lucky this will penetrate and kill the other guy inside.

Click to reveal..
1d20+8

(00:05:32) ChatBot: (Shiro) rolls 1d20 and gets 19. +8= 27

Damage

(10:48:40) ChatBot: (Shiro) rolls 10d6 and gets 4,2,2,1,6,4,6,2,6,4. (37)

The shell tore into the tank and for a moment there was nothing besides the typical sounds of crunching metal and damaged machinery. Then slowly the appearance of small electrical discharges began to lick the sides of the mighty metallic beast... the crackling of the discharging power core warned all those nearby that Shiro had hit his mark alright and the mark said 'time to leave before I blow up'.

Click to reveal..

Combat is concluded. The tank is shutdown but blowing up, the timer is running people

Shiro reaches out For Mileena, trying not to hurt her. "We have to go now it's gonna blow!" His voice boomed over his speakers. "Everyone clear out now!"

(ooc If she allows him to grab her and carry her he will take her away from the tank and to the others, hopefully the others can get the bikes and get the hell out of dodge. He'll wait till they leave this time before he leaves.)

For all that she was sworn not to kill, not to take a sentient life, Milena was suddenly overcome by the compulsion to throttle the pilot of that bipedal mechanized menace until he lost consciousness. Slowly, deliberately, she exhaled, vowing to have a word with him later... if they survived the havoc these people seemed intent on wreaking. Not for the first time, she began to wonder about their real purpose in coming here, but she shook off such thoughts and darted toward the wounded Kittani.

Gabe keys a quick, "You're welcome Kitty", over the radio while quickly looking around, trying to spot the closest intact vehicle able to get at least two or three of them out. If they could make that the others could take the bikes.

Click to reveal..

Spot check I guess?

Spot +4

(22:45:46) ChatBot: (Gabe) rolls 1d20 and gets 10.+4 = 14

Click to reveal..
Gabe & Isis - Among the damaged and wrecked vehicles there are a couple of hover jeeps that appear to have been far enough away from the blast to still be functional.

A quick scan from Isis (free action) confirms their functionality. They're beat up (1/2 hp), but they'll run.

This post does not count as part of your 'timer'.

A dirty grin founds its way across the lovely woman's dusty, bruised, and cut face. One eye was shut from where the blood was seeping down her face making it hard to see.

"Smart ass..." she mused over her comm at Gabriel's message.

Milena helped her to her feet, wincing several times as she placed her weight on the 'Priestess'(?) of Joy. Together the two made it across the area as swiftly as they could, meeting up with Gabriel and Isis at the motor pool.

"Any of em' still run?" She asked, panting and barely able to talk without wheezing, a sure sign of a punctured lung. "We gotta fly people, pronto."

She took a moment to look at the Joybringer though and silently told her: "Thanks."

Click to reveal..
If one can move then assume she's in it and driving off with everyone unless someone has objections.

Isis vaulted over the badly dented driver side door of one of the still-working hoverjeeps and flicked the switches to activate it. The squat, blocky vehicle raised a foot off the ground with a rising whine of turbines, and swiveled quickly around to coast rapidly to a halt in front of the rest of the team.

"Get in!" she said urgently. "As many as will fit. Gabe is bringing another one."

Once she sees that Gabe is, in fact, bringing one, she pivots the hovercraft towards the gate and throttles up...using a quick burst of power to the lift fans to propel the jeep into the air just high enough to get over the tank without touching it.

"Everyone fasten yourselves in," Isis advises. "We may not get completely clear of the concussion of it's explosion."

Gabe quickly scrambles to start his jeep up and heads for the exit as fast as he can, but is unfamiliar with the vehicle and it shows, as he scrapes it occasionally on the way. He mutters over the coms, "One of you is going to have to teach me to drive one day!"

As quickly as they could they sped from the scene with gravitic motors humming out a loud whine under the stress of their pilots giving them all it had.

Stray, uncontrolled energy arced across the surface of the tanks armor. The power core pulsed as the last of it's energy was released in a final massive explosion. The concussive force spread out from the epicenter of the blast and surrounded everything in a massive low yield zero point blast. The force kicked the vehicles up and rocked them from side to side as the massive black orb behind them stretched ever outward threatening to swallow them whole...

What was left as they sped away, narrowly escaping the blast was a perfectly hemispherical crater that absorbed everything it contact, including much of the front area of the base.

It was sloppy, but they got the job done...

Less than an hour later...

Erebus didn't speak as those who were injured were taken to the medical facility. His clothes were shredded, when they first met back up with him at the boarding ramp, but he'd since changed. He hadn't even had time to greet the new guests.

The ship drifted through space with particular destination in mind as those aboard tended to their business and licked their wounds.

Contintue Here

Archived