Aberrant: Dead Rising - Origins: Relationships are History (James)[Mature] [Finished]

Courier

Tuesday November 14th. Z-Day +1

5:55 PM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

A few minutes after James hung up, a squad of dejected and upset people walked in and headed for the pizza. James thought, Dave, Red Fred, the doc-squad, and they're not bearing good news. :Sigh: Let's get this over with.

James walked over and asked, "What's up?" I'd ask 'who died' but that's likely the problem.

Dave replied, "Big problem. The Docs struck out on finding better drugs. They're either not available or they don't exist or both. In ten minutes we have a big meeting on this."

James asked, "What's the meeting about? They did their thing, they'll keep trying, if something turns up I'll go get it."

Dave replied tiredly, "The meeting is about what to do with our 15 or 17 infected people. Sun rise is at 7am. Maybe half will convert before that. We don't have a cure, we don't have the hope of getting a cure any time soon, we need to figure out what we're going to do with them."

James closed his eyes and translated mentally. He means, how we're going to kill them. And I'm the guy with the black-hot knife.

James opened his eyes and asked, "Who's up first?" God that was morbid. James added, "I mean, how are Fred, Donald, and Eric doing?" Because clearly we're more interested in the lives of our friends... and maybe we are.

Dave said, "Fred is still clean, but it's early. He's not with the others. I hope... Donald is still going strong. He doesn't even have a fever yet, maybe he'll beat this thing on his own. Eric is getting weaker. He'll..." Dave swallowed. "...he'll see the sun rise. He makes most of the others look healthy. He's also still pissed at you. Any chance you've got the power to cure this thing?"

Dave's last question was more of a hopeless poke than a hopeful question, but James noted several sets of ears prick up.

James frowned. If I could do that I'd have done so with Wendy... or at a bare minimum I'd have stepped forward. But maybe he's not the one bringing up that issue.

James shook his head and said, "No. I haven't tried walking on water yet, but I doubt I can do that either. Fire, strength, and durability don't spell 'healer'." Of course when I went all super I could do some other things... but even then I don't think it would have worked.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6:05 PM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower meeting room.

James sat down and watched people show up, and in many cases, not show up. I saw Jill duck out with Red. She doesn't want to rehash what happened to her kids. Larry is here, not a shock. His wife is what this whole meeting is about. And he's sitting next to the lady doc with the unpronounceable name. Allies? Dave is here, please dear god let Fred not have this.

Dr. Hudson knocked on the table and said, "Let's get started. We're here to try to figure out what to do with the infected that will turn soon."

Dr. Smith added, "The over riding concern is how to deal with the situation without risking infection on anyone else."

Several faces turned towards James and he realized, Here it comes...

Richard, the only uninfected security guard asked, "James is immune or already has it, right? Is there a reason why he can't do it?"

James disliked this idea as much as several other people liked it. James protested, "Whoa! If I'm up all night with this, then I'm going to be sleeping tomorrow during daylight." James thought, Let me guess, Everyone has a reason why they shouldn't be dealing with this? Or is this more of a, James can wave his magic wand and solve all problems? Whatever, I've got Eleanor Gagnon's mom and 25 grand waiting for me tomorrow morning. Bill Gafford too.

Dave said, "He's right. I'm going to want him out and about. And besides, that's a stop gap. Sooner or later we're going to figure something out which doesn't involve James dealing with it."

The room paused and considered. Dr. Smith suggested, "We could just lock the close ones in individual rooms."

Dave replied, "We could. But I'm uncomfortable with the idea of having live zombies trying to get at us inside the barricades."

Richard said softly, "We could shoot them. Wait till the plague kills them then put one in their head."

All of the Doctors looked uncomfortable and Larry looked angry. Several people started shaking their heads. Larry protested, "What if she, what if someone breaks their fever? You could be shooting my wife just as she's getting better! We don't know... we don't know!"

Dr. Narasimhan said coldly, "He's right. Killing zombies is one thing, killing people who might simply be sick is murder."

Alfred Waffenschmidt suggested calmly, "Basic survival training says that the single most useful item you can have is Duct Tape."

A man James didn't recognize who was wearing a brown uniform said, "That we got. A couple of floors from here there's a closet with ten rolls."

James said, "Clever. 1000 uses. Now a thousand and one." Or is that super glue?

Larry said, "Duct Tape? Is that a joke? What's that going to fix?"

Alfred said, "When someone is getting close to converting, tape their ankles together. Maybe their wrists too. Then after they convert, shoot them."

Larry looked appalled and said, "I can't believe..."

James said, "They're not afraid of hurting themselves and they don't feel pain. But it'd only need to work for a few seconds. That... should work."

Near tears, Larry said desperately, "Wait! Just wait. What, what else can we do? I mean, you're only planning the most efficient way to kill them! That's just wrong, we should be working out how to Cure her! I mean, if James has the cure, then why aren't we taking some of his blood and coming up with something?"

Dr. Hudson said with sympathy, "We've been trying everything. Dr. Hatcher got the best drugs available, and they're not working. There have been some reports that a full blood transfusion might help, but we don't have the resources to do that and at best it'd just slow it down. If we could take some of James' blood, then maybe we could make a vaccine, but that wouldn't help your wife and we weren't able to collect a blood sample."

Larry interrupted angrily, "Wait, he's right here and he's refusing to let you take any of his blood?"

James said, "Not will not, can not. I gave blood on occasion. Needles don't scare me, but they break on my skin now. The Docs even tried my tongue, bite proof means needle proof. And even if they found some wonder drug right this minute, unless it's something silly like salt it's not going to be available until tomorrow."

Dr. Smith remarked, "We already tried salt. There were some reports that it helped, and it doesn't. The zombies don't react to it and it doesn't slow down the process."

Near his breaking point, Larry wracked his mind desperately for another option.

Dave stood up and said, "OK, we have a plan. I want 4 rolls of duct tape in 20 minutes."

6:45 PM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

James walked around and considered. That meeting took longer than it should. All sorts of people trying to justify their being there by saying something. Anything. We had the plan half way through. Of course there were also a fair number trying to deny reality.

And how much of that are you doing James? No one has called. No one has tried to call.

James pushed the errant thought away. What now? Dave and the others have the whole sickroom in hand. I don't really need to visit.

I did the whole Pizza thing. Shall we see... the people die? If Eric has forgiven me for killing his wife? Maybe I should stop trying to pick up other people's luggage? Even if it's Eric's? But shouldn't I feel bad for killing Wendy?

Actually, no. I shouldn't. And maybe if I repeat that enough times I'll believe it. Think it again: Zombies aren't human, zombies were never human, zombies aren't alive. That wasn't Wendy. She wasn't the first, she won't be the last.

Shoot. She won't be the last is right. All this fooling around with Duct tape? You just know they're going to screw that up. Richard was right. One tap to the head after they stop breathing and problem solved. Someone is going to make a mistake and they'll end up like Fred.

So maybe I should step in? Someone is going to end up infected, and that's the same as dead. Maybe even someone I know. Dave. Jesus. Fred. Do we count Adam?

Am I risking my friends' lives for $25K?

Um... even if we take that off the table... everything I said at the meeting holds true. Someone needs to be out and about, and that's me.

Which means someone is going to get infected.

James let this set of thoughts circle around and around in his head and decided to have another slice of pizza and watch the TV while he tried to think that through.

6:45 PM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower - TV room.

James walked over to the TV and asked, "What's the news?"

Celia replied, "All the major stations canceled normal programming and went to pure news or emergency broadcast at 6. All that's on is the emergency."

James thought a moment then said, "So there's no 'Law and Order'?"

Celia half smiled and said, "No. Even Law and Order is gone. But this is Tuesday so it would have been a repeat."

James asked, "Any good news?"

Celia said, "Maybe, but I don't know what it is. Local news has been hyping a special news broadcast at 9. It sounds promising. They said something about someone having a workable solution for beating the zombies. They'll post a phone number and everything."

Celia took a deep breath and continued, "Other than that, it's bad. More cities are reporting problems. The government is going into lockdown. The President's office put up something about the National Guard and Army mobilizing, but he wasn't actually talking."

James commented, "Maybe he's reading a book about a goat again."

Celia said, "Maybe. If he broadcasts something about how well everyone is doing I'll just scream."

James asked, "No clue about what the local cure is?"

Celia said, "They don't use the word 'cure'. 'Solution' and 'Help', but not 'cure'."

8:30 PM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower - TV room.

James had watched a CNN news cycle and a local commercial promising that there was indeed hope. Celia was right, it was less than informative.

James grumbled mentally, Come ON People. Folks are dying out here, if you have a way to save people then your civic duty should be "Here it is" and not "Don't Touch that Dial". This is someone's idea of selling laundry soap.

Or I'm being uncharitable and they're hard at work packaging up their solution to make it presentable. Or someone sees visions of a Pulitzer Prize. Or is that fiction? What kind of Prize do newsmen win?

And you're wasting time trying to not think about things. Samuel Owens Jackson.

James got out the papers he'd taken from the Springs and walked to the other side of the room, close to the exit and almost out of earshot of the TV. James dialed the number Samuel had given and waited. After a moment the phone was picked up and a woman's voice said, "Sam?"

James said, "No, this is James. Is this Debra Jackson?"

Debra said, "Yes. Are you calling about my husband?"

James said, "Yes ma'am. Zombies tore him apart. He's dead." James winced and thought Oh you master of tact.

Debra started screaming. James listened for a while. Somehow this doesn't seem like a good moment to tell her that Martha gets 3 coffee mugs.

There was a click and Debra hung up.

8:40 PM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

James thought, That went about as well as expected, or maybe a little worse. I should have said something about him thinking of her at the end or something. 'Zombies tore him apart, he's dead' doesn't really do justice to summing up a man's life. He deserved better.

But then as the Master said; Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.

James stared at his cell phone for a minute. She was in denial. She probably knew, but just saying it made it real.

And what realities are you hiding from?

James kept staring at this cell phone.

It's been long enough. You should check. They're just...

They've just been busy. Like you.

James pressed some buttons on his cell phone and brought up his incoming calls. Nothing new. Only one message since the crisis started. James hit play.

5:58 AM, Monday November 13th: 'Hey James, this is your Dad. Janet told us that Rob was sick and she's taking him to the hospital. Mary, Gail, and your Mother are going with them. I'm sure they only drove one car so Alex and I are going to see what's going on and to give them a chance to get out. Sounds like it was a good thing that Alex and I stayed in the area. I'll call you later when we know more.'

James swallowed and closed his eyes, suppressing the urge to squish his cell phone into powder. That doesn't mean anything...

James went through and called every member of his family. Dad. Mom. Mary. Alex. Janet. Gail. All no answer. As an after thought he dialed Rob and then Rob's house. Still nothing.

They're just...

Dave said Mary called.

They're just...

Rob converted and killed Janet.

They're just...

Mom was bitten.

They're just...

Mary sounded hurt. Probably bitten. Dad and Alex walked into that mad house just as things came apart. It would have been like the crew trying to suppress the riot all over again, just without the super powered backup.

IF I'D BEEN THERE I COULD HAVE SAVED THEM.

8:45 PM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

IF YOU'D BEEN THERE YOU COULD HAVE SAVED THEM.

James shuddered in anguish. That's the truth you've been avoiding. They're dead and it's your fault. If you'd just been there...

James focused on his cell phone again. Maybe it's not everyone. Dave had no information on Gail. She could have made it out. Her annoying boyfriend's number is here. I think we have numbers for those two cousins Gail is close to in France too. Maybe...

Aware he was grasping at straws, James made five calls and got nothing. Paris is a big, dense city. If the zombies are running around there then they have a problem. Ditto the boyfriend in Huston. Not picking up means they're probably dead.

James stared at the wall numbly for a moment then thought, No time for this. In a few minutes the news is going to present the solution. You need to be there listening or more people will die from your ignorance. If it's a cure then you'll need to head out there right now and pick it up while it's still dark. If it's instructions on some instant kill anti-zombie thing, like salt was supposed to be, then ditto.

No more mistakes. No more ignorance. No one else dies on my watch.

8:58 PM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower TV room.

James went back to find it was standing room only and he'd lost his seat next to the TV. Word had gotten around that the news had a major broadcast. Everyone wanted to see it first hand.

James had to stand towards the rear. A few seconds later Jill, looking ashen, walked in and stood next to him. Debra turned up the sound just before the news started.

And here is the 9 o'clock news. First up, a real solution to the zombie crisis in the form of the Dallas Area's very own Super-Hero!!! Not a joke! We have live footage of James DeBeer in Action!

Reporter Bill Gafford here to tell you it was amazing! I was filming the zombies outside my house when he landed and then took off again!

The station showed footage of James running through Ridgmar Community then leaping a hundred yards to the Ridgmar Mall. James carved his cell phone's number into the side of the mall.

After he gave me his cell phone number, I called him and we talked. Everything was on tape.

"James speaking. Who is this?"

"I'm, ah, William. Bill Gafford."

"You're in the house waving at me?" James pressed the speaker button and then clipped the cell phone to the front of his shirt and started climbing up the wall.

"Yes. I'm in the house. I yelled at you before you... um... leaped to the Mall." There was a pause then Bill continued, "Good. God. How is that possible? You're going up the wall like Spiderman!?!"

James replied, "No, Spiderman sticks to things. If you're strong enough to leap for miles then you're strong enough to grab the corner of the wall and lift yourself up. And as for how... beats me. I went all superhero right after the plague hit."

Mention of the zombie plague focused Bill's mind on his own plight, "Right. Hey, can you help us? My family and I are trapped in here. We're all in the Master bedroom. There's four of us. My wife, our two kids. Theodore is just two."

James replied, "Are you safe right there? I could probably bring you here but there's a hoard of zombies at the mall and there's no accessible food or water."

Bill said, "We're safe for the moment. We locked the master bedroom door and pushed furniture against it. I don't think they can get in, and we have water from the bathroom but no food. No one is sick yet but we're stuck here."

James replied, "Getting you out is no problem. I can carry two adults and two kids easy. I'll leap onto your roof and climb down. But I've got some things to check out first. The airport to be specific. I'll call back when I'm ready to get you, my cell will store your number."

Bill replied, "Thank you. Thank you, thank you. You're a life saver."

9:10 PM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower TV room.

James stared in lack jawed horror at the TV. He felt the raw need of everyone all over Dallas who was watching the TV. His phone rang. James pulled it out slowly and checked. He didn't know who it was.

James hung up on the caller without saying hello and his phone immediately started ringing again. James killed that call and his phone started ringing again.

So much for a solution. So much for calling the cousins again too. If Gail tried to phone she'd never get through. Dallas area news? 6 million people just saw this. James took a deep shuttering breath, then let his phone drop to the floor. Saving Dallas was all on him? That's way too much weight.

Next to him Jill said uncertainly, "James?"

James walked out. Behind him he could hear his phone ringing again.

9:10 PM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

James quickly walked to the room he'd slept in earlier and ignored the steps behind him. Bad Idea. Too Much Weight. All My Fault. Bad Idea. Too Much Weight. All My Fault. Bad Idea. Too Much Weight. All My Fault.

Stupid. Calm down James. Leaving the cell phone like that was stupid. Go get it back.

Just next the door James abruptly reversed direction and collided with Jill, almost knocking her over. James stopped Jill from falling and held her close. For a moment two pairs of pain filled eyes looked at each other. Then they were embracing.

Urgently. Awkwardly. Desperately. Seeking only to avoid the pain.

James picked Jill up and walked into 'his' room and shut the door.

9:10 PM: JoAnna, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

JoAnna put her professional performance face on to mask her shock. OH. MY. GODDESS. My sister, my much-more-straight-laced-than-me, GAY sister, just took my would-be boyfriend to bed, a few hours after her true love died. Chris' body isn't even cold yet. The world can end now, I've seen everything.

I still think I'm a much better match for the lifestyle he's going to be leading in a few weeks. Jill isn't going to enjoy the big lights or all the media.

Actually, that's a point. I'm right, she won't. This is seriously out of character for both of them. Serious shock, he/she is there. They're just... right. Move along, nothing to see here. I'll have a talk with Jill tomorrow.

JoAnna said to the man standing next to her, "I saw some music CDs next to the radio, how about we start up a dance?"

Wednesday November 15th. Z-Day +2

6:31 PM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

James woke to the sound of a car backfiring. He shifted his weight and realized he wasn't alone.

Who is this? Oh. Jill. I seem to remember someone making multiple promises to god and himself that he'd never have a one night stand.

James thought about that for a moment and realized he didn't feel guilty. Well, exceptional circumstances. I needed this. So did she. I feel saner. More settled. Not well, there's still holes in my soul, but better. Thank-God-I'm-Alive sex. Or maybe The-Bomb's-Are-Falling-sex. Or maybe just avoiding my troubles with a blond rather than with lots of beer.

So, what have I learned? Jill is a natural blond. Super powers quickly get used for sex, I don't think I could have done that last position at the peak of my body building days.

And my family is dead.

James held his breath for a moment then faced it squarely. I'd give anything to bring them back. My powers. Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and find everything was a dream. If I find someone to make a deal...

Not my fault. NOT MY FAULT. Say that again until you believe it. Live with it. This is a dangerous world to think of reasons to die. It was girl's night out and I was disinvited. As best man I organize Dave's strippers and booze. Gail and Janet did whatever it is chicks do with the bride. Alex was there only to kiss Rob's ass while he was away from Janet and maybe get a job. Dad was with him because it was his car.

Dad wouldn't have been there if Alex's car was working. Alex and Dad wouldn't be there if Alex's company hadn't gone under. If Janet's winter home were here rather than Florida they'd have been in town. If Janet hadn't married a guy three times her age he wouldn't have pulled all of them to ground zero. If it's anyone's fault it's his.

And as long as we're listing things not my fault, the news isn't either. 6 million people. No way I can help them all so no way I can accept responsibility. This is, I don't know, maybe the President's job. But whoever's it is, it's not mine and I shouldn't be making promises I can't keep. James, grow a pair. It's past time to draw lines. It's past time to learn to say 'no'.

Everyone calling on the cell phone? They're on their own. I wish them the best, but I'm one guy and I can't save the world. I'm throwing away that cell phone and everything that came with it. Eleanor Gagnon's mom. Bill Gafford and his family.

If I leave them there they're going to die.

This was a fundamental truth and James looked at it and digested it's sourness. Yeah. Maybe. Probably. And me not knowing all the names of the people in those houses next to The Springs doesn't make them less real either.

And if I save them then other people will die. 6 million people are trying to get into one lifeboat. Everyone is a real person, everyone deserves to live, and not everyone will fit. Eleanor, Bill, I'm sorry. If you'd wanted my undivided attention, then you shouldn't have divided my attention so completely. I'm not going to hold it against you, but I'm not putting you at the top of the list either. I hope you both survive and get a Pulitzer Prize, but you're not here, you're not now, and I'm pretty busy just dealing with what's in front of me.

6:46 AM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

Jill shifted position slightly and James thought And thinking of dealing with what's in front of me, what do I do with you? This is what we call an 'Awkward situation'. Waking up with an attractive naked woman I barely know is a new experience, and not a good one...

James looked down at Jill who was partially draped over him. ...although it does have it's moments. Jill, if you're usually gay then this is going to be a short relationship. If you're not... there's two obvious ways forward.

Jill raised her head and noted that James was awake. She asked quietly, "Do you think it will get worse?"

She's not talking about my performance last night. Hell of an opening pillow talk topic.

James started to answer in his professional 'it's ok' voice then stopped. Jill wasn't panicking from a car accident she'd been in. James asked, "Do you want to be reassured or...?"

Seeing what she wanted in her eyes James sighed and said, "Yeah. 'Worse' is a good word. The first wave infected a lot of people who will convert. I saw lots of trapped people. They're going to starve or brave the zombies and get infected. The functional places I saw were spreading the plague. No one is showing up for work, I think we'll lose power soon."

James concluded, "Even if the army steps in today Fort Worth is going to make New Orleans look good."

Jill looked at the future and shivered. James saw Fort Worth as the worst spot on Earth and he was wrong.

James wondered if telling her the blunt truth was a mistake. James rubbed her back and said, "Easy there girlfriend."

Jill forced herself to relax and asked, "Girlfriend?"

James replied, "Yeah. It's awkward to say here and now but I don't do casual sex..."

Both of them heard another car backfiring and James went to his feet and rapidly dressed. James said, "Those are gun shots, and they're inside the Hospital. If we have a breach, barricade yourself inside a room and wait for me."

6:56 AM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

Barefoot and still struggling to put his shirt on, James picked up the sword Jill had given him earlier and walked out.

Nothing. Everyone is still asleep. Nothing is good. No zombies is very good. No screaming... but I'm not sure if I'd hear that. Gunshot noise might have come through the window. Let's check the emergency exit staircase. If they made it past the coke machine it's going to be bad.

James reached the staircase and looked down. No hoard shuffling around. Would they all go to a lower level if they smelled food? Damn it, yeah, they would.

James carefully walked down the stairs. Bet I look absurd. Barefoot with a sword. If I lose the tee-shirt I'm Conan. Supposedly I've got some Indian ancestors, did they use swords?

And there's still nothing. I can see several flights down. Break in somewhere else? Where would we have armed guards? Oh, yeah. Sick room.

James trotted up to the sick room. Outside was a notice.

Sarra Elliott - 3:15am

Jeff Denny - 4:20am

Kathy DiRusso - 5:00am

Tim Winkeler - 6:30am

Harold Whitmeyer 6:45am

6:56 AM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

James paused. Sarra just had a baby. Hell of a woman. Larry is... not a lucky man. She 'was' Larry's wife, she 'was' one of hell of a woman. Harold is... was... one of the security guards who fought the riot. He seemed like a decent kid. The other three we 'saved' from the riot. I never interacted with them, and now I never will.

This is where the shots came from. If things were out of control they wouldn't have bothered to write down about Harry's death. My room is on the same side, Tim and Harry's death and then execution woke me up.

While I've been screwing around with Jill, the people in there have been getting shot every hour or so. Damn.

...grow a thicker skin James. You couldn't help them. You tried. They'd still be dead if you'd been in there praying for them. Be real careful what you let yourself feel guilty about.

James opened the door. The smell of blood and death hit him the moment he walked in. Jesus and Fred were sitting at the table watching the room, both looking worse for wear. James looked around as he walked over to them.

The room had five blanketed mounds. Worse were the five still living, but rotting, people. Over on one side of the room Eric flipped James the bird again then rolled over so his back was facing him. Sitting next to him, Donald shook his head at Eric's action and gave James a thumbs up then closed his eyes.

Those five won't last long. Laura Darling, Thomas, and everyone else we 'saved' from the riot. Zombies don't eat each other, I wonder if they could pass?

Eric still hates me but he might still make it. Donald is still going strong. Fred? Sorry to see you here guy. Carla isn't even here, she must not have gotten it. Sixteen people, now eleven, soon to be six. Shoot this works fast. Counting Wendy we had thirteen adults infected at about the same time, eleven turned within about two days.

No... Laura and Sarra were both infected later. Don and Eric might still beat this. Counting me that's three out of three of the hopeful cases. Maybe firemen are extra resistant? We get all kinds of vaccinations as first responders. Or am I looking for a reason, any reason, why Fred has lots of hope? We don't know when Dana was infected, it might have been right after the riot. She's a nurse and might get vaccinations. She's looking... James struggled to put a good spin on her, ...not rotting.

Jesus held a gloved finger up against his lips in the 'quiet' symbol. He wrote down, Awful night. Getting worse. My shift is over at 8. We're running low on ammo. I heard about your cell phone, I'm sorry. Bill Gafford is an ass. Dave said he'd have more instructions but didn't say anything before he went to sleep. Go shower and eat if you haven't. Or if you want to stay here you can help

Jesus noticeably paused before continuing to write deal with the next five. James translated that into help kill the next five. Fred tapped the roll of duct tape significantly and shrugged. Either he was saying they didn't need any help or he was making a complicated joke that James didn't get.

James rubbed his stomach significantly then walked out.

7:05 AM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

A dozen guys walk into a riot, save no one who won't die a day or two later, get some of themselves killed and others infected. And one guy in that mess manages to become a stupid-hero and not save his family. If there's any fairness or justice in all that I don't see it. Eric lost Wendy and might die and I gained(?) Jill. I'd trade her to get Mary and the others back. Life seriously isn't fair.

And maybe if you wine about it enough that will change? Two minutes looking at a map with a telephone book is worth many, many hours of complaining about life.

James made his way back to 'his' room and found Jill had disappeared. Looks like I'm not having breakfast with my new girlfriend, if that's what she is. No 'Dear John' note. There's a sword missing and a bag here which isn't mine. Maybe she moved in?

...ok, so much for a romantic breakfast watching the sunrise. I'm not in the mood for it anyway, not after watching what Jesus is dealing with. How about... a sunrise breakfast with a map, pen, and telephone book? This is Texas, I'm sure I can find an unromantic Ms. Smith and Ms. Wesson or a dozen around. Heck, Wal-Mart sells ammo.

7:20 AM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

Beautiful sunrise. The smoke in the air adds a lot of color. And this place looks perfect. Purple Heart Pawn & Gun. I know more or less how to get there, it's almost due South, small mom & pop store, owners should be dead or fled by now.

Perfect for what? For stealing? Looting? What the heck man. How did you manage to make this plan without thinking this through? Wasn't it just yesterday that you were conflicted about breaking into a candy machine?

We need guns for about 30 people. I blew most of our money on pizza yesterday. Dealing with the zombies in the sick room will take out most of our ammo. We absolutely have to have this if we're going to survive, and I should be able to get this without too much trouble.

So just because no one can stop you, that makes it ok? Do this and you're not James the super-hero anymore, you're James the super-villain. We don't need to steal. You have a rifle back at your place...

...but no ammo. I loaned out the last of it on that hunting trip I missed. Ah... Dad has two or three rifles back... home. James mentally flinched. Visiting where I grew up would be... intense. Good way to lose a day remembering what was. Besides... um... besides... Dad doesn't have hand guns. And two rifles isn't enough.

Well, do we really need this all that much?

Even right now, I see the occasional deadhead wandering around the cars. Try leaving the hospital without everyone having guns and we'll lose people in the parking lot. Who do you want to die so you can stay ethically pure? Dave? Maybe several someones?

...so yeah, we really do need this that much.

OK, but if the owner is there or gives any sign of being alive or around, we call it off and find somewhere else. Or better yet, we try to make some sort of deal.

...that's workable. Let's get our act together and head over there.

James spent a few minutes getting his gear together then leaped away.

• 2 weeks later...

7:25 AM: James DeBeer, Above Fort Worth Texas

James floated above Fort Worth and realized the city had gotten much worse. More fires. That hurts deep. We the firemen are hiding in a hospital. Nero fiddled while Rome burned. I wonder if history judges him to harshly? And why don't we worry about things we can actually do something about?

Um... to do list. I should be looking for... Guns. Food. Condoms. Gas? Fuel Stabilizer?

Now that's a point, I wonder how long term I should be planning. And... crap. I think I leaped too far.

SHOOT! I'm coming down in a fire!

7:30 AM: Jill, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

Jill heard the muffled 'thump' and realized it signaled the death of yet another fellow refugee turned zombie. That's me. Not today, maybe not tomorrow, but some time soon. Be real careful what you touch, don't let anyone who isn't immune touch you.

Right. Don't go there. What have you done?

...Spending your last healthy night having sex with a near stranger beats spending it alone in mourning for someone who doesn't deserve it. OK, forgive yourself that.

This is what it is. What can you actually do? Save Jo maybe. Let's find her.

7:30 AM: James DeBeer, Fort Worth Texas

The thick black oily smoke came from a burning gas station. For a long horrible moment James though he'd land in the middle of the fire. James held his breath and closed his eyes going into it. James lost his bearings, hit the ground, and only the lack of pain told him he'd barely overshot the fire. He stumbled and fell heavily to the ground then vomited and rubbed his watering eyes.

SHOOT! You forget just how loud, greasy, smelly, and nasty a tire fire is until you're in it without the gear. I feel like I've been in a grill. It's still way too hot here, I'm frying right on the ground. Get out. Move away away from the heat.

James staggered away from the fire with his clothes smoldering.

No zombies, do they not like the fire or did they just leave because the people fled?

And where am I? Worry about that latter, first find some water and clean my eyes. I'm almost blind.

James walked down the street a bit to a house and banged on the front door. James yelled, "Hello the house!"

The only answer James got was a familiar moan behind him.

James yelled again, "I'm coming in!"

James forced the locked doorknob to turn and it snapped off. The door remained locked and the moan behind him sounded closer.

7:30 AM: James DeBeer, Fort Worth Texas

Frustrated, James slammed his hand on the door and pushed. The door mostly stayed intact but his blow forced it inward and off it's hinges. James stepped in, half tripping over the door, and yelled, "I'm inside! Be alarmed, there are zombies following me!"

Barely able to see, James staggered down the hall and found a tiled floor. James stumbled into the bathroom, fumbled the light on, and slammed the door.

That feels like a lock... all bathroom doors have locks. Of course the door won't be built to stop a fire like the front. Sink, water, on. There we go. Wash the hands first and then pour that stuff into the eyes. Damn it this hurts.

• 2 weeks later...

7:45 AM: Jillian, JoAnna, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

Jill finally found Jo having breakfast in 'food room'. Jo was having a coffee and a two day old bagel. The former might have been from the break room, the later presumably came from James trip to The Springs. Jo noticed Jill right away and giving her a warm smile, waved her over.

As Jill walked over Jo examined her closely. Jill thought, Odd. It's almost like she checking me out.

Jo finished her coffee and gave Jill a vivacious wink. She asked, "Welcome sister. Do you feel any different?"

A bit taken aback, Jill said, "Ah... what do you mean?" She knows? She doesn't act like she knows.

Jo rephrased her question patiently, "More magical maybe?"

Jill realized where this was going and asked, "Wait. You know I was with James last night?" How on Earth?

JoAnna smiled and replied, "Jill honey, Everyone knows. You two weren't exactly quiet and several people saw you leave together. He's a good choice by the way, I fully approve."

Jill said again, "Ah..." Now this I hadn't expected, but maybe I should have. And you know what? I really don't care. I didn't care when it was Chris and even if I weren't infected I still wouldn't care. Get a life people. And speaking of which... maybe Jo has started to see the world sensibly?

Jill asked, "What do you mean by 'good choice'? And what do you mean by 'magical'?"

Jo gave her sister an expansive smile and said, "I mean James is the real thing. Magic. In the old days we'd have called him a god. I've been talking to the doctors and his friends, networking, gathering information mostly. If you hadn't made a play for him I would have. He' headed for big time fame really quickly. Think of him as a A-lister. The real question is..." Jo leaned over the table and whispered, "...how infectious is he?"

Jill felt like slapping her face with the palm of her hand. So in other words, NO, she doesn't have her head on straight... Her and most of the rest of the world... I already know where she needs to be. Let's find out where she is.

7:45 AM: Jillian & JoAnna, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

Jill asked, "James is magic because the Doctors say he is? When did you gain a high opinion of Doctors and their judgement?" The two women had talked about the subject before. Like most stage magicians JoAnna didn't have a lot of regard for so called investigators of the paranormal.

Jo replied, "No, James is magic because I say he is, not because of them. You're right, Doctors and Scientists have no clue. I could do everything James does and fool them." Jo frowned and added, "Well, almost everything. Leaping for miles would be hard to pull off on a reasonable budget." Jo handwaved her objection and continued, "The key is controlling the environment. I could fake super strength with a forklift and a curtain. Just set things up so no one could look around the curtain, then do carefully scripted tricks. The moment someone tries to take me off script I'd beg off and claim the spirits weren't willing. And that's not what we're looking at. Someone who can just do it, rain or shine, curtain or no curtain, on demand with no set up and no stage? That's magic."

Jo moved on to what was really interesting, "But I trust the medical opinion of doctors when it comes to medicine. James has a mutant form of the zombie plague. That's not me saying that, that's the doctors. Science also says the way the plague is spread is by close contact. Myth says the gods sometimes made their lovers into gods themselves. So..." Jo got an intent look on her face, "...did James bite you? Come on sis, inquiring minds want to know."

Jill waited a moment for Jo to add a punch line then realized she was serious. Super powers as a sexually transmitted virus??? What an amazing load of crap! That's not a survival plan, that' a pickup line. And she heard this from... Adam? If that helps Adam get into Jo's pants I don't see how, but maybe there's a second line?

Jill reached down and pinched a table leg and tried to tear it loose with just two fingers and no leverage. Science my ass. Now what? Answer her question then try to ask one ourselves?

Jill replied, "No. He didn't bite me. We... did things that would have gotten the job done though. But I'm not any stronger."

Jo raised an eyebrow and said, "Even AIDS is like one time out of ten or something. On a related note... how was he?"

Although more personal Jill had expected this question, they'd compared notes before. Jill replied, "He's got an amazing stamina and he cared how I was doing. On the whole..." Jill said with a canary eating smile, "...call him almost as good as a woman."

With a twinkle in her eye Jo said, "High praise."

Both women started laughing.

After the mirth subsided Jill asked gently, "Jo, what do you think is going to happen in the next few months?"

JoAnna thought for a moment then replied, "Fort Worth is pretty much done. The army will have to come in and it will be messy, like New Orleans lots of people won't be coming back. The firemen and hospital workers will end up losing their jobs. I haven't told anyone that yet but I think some have figured it out. With the fall of Fort Worth lots of jobs are going to leave. That will be tough for some people but on the whole people will manage."

"Individual stories will differ of course. I'll be Vegas, my contract runs for the year. Adam has asked me out, if he ends up in driving distance we might start dating. Mom and Dad will probably move, they've been talking about Florida like forever, but with me in Nevada they might go with California. Alfred Waffen-something, that pilot for KC, will have to move when KC moves their headquarters. Fred and Jesus are worried they've missed their national guard activation call, but I can't see any legal issues coming of that."

Jo paused, took a breath, then added, "And then there's James. James is headed for the big time. A guy who can break natural laws is going to get a lot more than 15 minutes of fame; He's going to get it all the time, no matter where he goes. The press will be following him around like he was Brad Pitt in the middle of breaking with Jennifer. I'm not sure what he'll end up doing, making action movies, becoming a government agent, an elite mercenary, but Scandal magazines will be dogging him. He can't go back to being a lifeguard." And this is where Jillian decides to dump him. A woman who was happy with Chris won't be with super-stardom.

Jill gave a slight frown to all this and thought, There are so many things wrong with what she said it's hard to know where to start. This is going to be painful. I'll have to tell her there is no Santa, but it's necessary. She needs to understand this if she's going to survive. Let's start small.

Jill asked mildly, "Lifeguard? Last I checked he was a fireman. And Fred is too heavy to be in the guard, they have fitness checks."

Jo smiled easily and replied, "No, I'm right. I've spent every moment since we got here networking and gathering information. There's two Freds. One has red hair, is seriously overweight, and is a computer/medical type; The other is one of the Firemen. James is only currently a fireman. Before that his paying job was lifeguard. While he was trying to go into professional bodybuilding he needed a cheap way to access a gym so he worked at a health club. His official title was lifeguard although I gather he tried to oversee the weight room as much as the pool."

Jill frowned a bit more, I didn't know that. James has been mostly out and when he's been here I've been with him a lot more than she has. Jill asked, "Jo, how do you know that?"

JoAnna smiled knowingly and said, "I told you, I've been networking and talking to people. A little bit of flirting, a little bit of letting people show off, it's surprising what you can find out. Also James was easy. He's a local boy, the firemen are a close-nit group, almost family. Fred and Dave became friends with James in high school. Dave was going to marry his sister who was killed in Florida day before yesterday. Dave talked him into becoming a fireman after his body building 'career' fell apart."

Jill asked slowly, "What else do you know?"

JoAnna replied, "Quite a bit. How much detail do you want?"

Jill said, "Everything."

JoAnna shrugged gracefully and replied, "James is the fourth of five children, they're all two years apart, James is 24. Three sisters, one younger. Family sticks together, James doesn't have bad things to say about any of them and bad mouthing them is a bad idea. His Dad is a retired engineer turned manager and his mom is a homemaker. Oldest sibling is Janet, she's married to an amazingly rich man who is old enough to be her grandfather. He has grandchildren older than her. Next oldest is Alex who is an unemployed geologist or something. Then there's Gail, she used to sing in a band and now is getting her teacher's certificate. James' younger sister is Mary, who is getting married to Dave in a few weeks. He knew the exact time to his wedding, down the minute, it was pretty sweet. James' whole family seems solid and functional, at least in the eyes of their future in-laws."

JoAnna paused and said with regret, "And now they're dead. Everyone except James was visiting Janet in Florida, something to do with the wedding. That stick-together thing worked against them, Janet's husband Rob was infected in the early hours and they took him to a hospital like this one. Exactly like this one if you know what I mean. Everyone had cell phones, the two messages Dave and James got were grim and now no one answers. And that's not just them, Dave has tried calling several numbers at the hospital and no one picks up."

JoAnna paused again and tried to take a sip of her coffee only to find she'd finished it. She said, "Yes, I know. Not good. James with you last night seems out of character. His previous relationships have been pretty serious. Sue broke up with him around Valentine's day. They were together two years. As a good looking body builder he's had the opportunity to do a lot of one night stands, but he doesn't seem to have. Of course this is learning about someone's sex life from their best friend and brother in law. No chance for lies or mistakes there." Jo rolled her eyes in sarcasm and continued, "But ignoring that, call him Brad Pitt rather than James Bond."

Jill stared at Jo and thought, After all these years I still underestimate Jo. She's been here less than a day and she's got everyone's life history. No, not everyone's, just his.

Jo enjoyed Jill being flabbergasted and continued, "So, did I miss anything?... Oh yeah. Mary just graduated from... I think Wesleyan. She sounds, make that sounded, like an absolute saint, angel, and supermodel but that's from the guy planning to marry her. And Dave and Fred, while full brothers and in the same grade as James, aren't twins. Dave is the older brother."

"After that while I know a lot more, I think it goes further and further off topic."

The two women enjoyed a moment of silence, each with their own thoughts. Jill thought, So is the whole powers-as-a-virus thing an excuse? Does it even matter? The way forward is kind of obvious. James hits all her buttons, she'll go for the plan.

Jill said slowly, "Jo? It sounds like you talked to a lot of people yesterday. I was more... focussed. First I listened in to the Doctors talk and waited for Fred, the computer guy. Then I took him aside and got him to answer a few questions for me."

JoAnna nodded.

Jill asked, "Have you looked outside recently? What do you see when you look around at Fort Worth?"

Jo hesitated then deciding her sister wanted the brutal truth, replied "I see an epic disaster and the government not doing much. Tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of people are dead. Fort Worth is more than New Orleans II, we'll make sure New Orleans isn't even remembered. President Bush and Governor Perry will be lucky to avoid being impeached. I'm glad my parents are vacationing in Israel and missed the show."

It was Jill's turn to nod. She'd expected Jo to say something like this. Time for Jo to eat the apple of knowledge. Jill said, "Jo... it's like this everywhere."

Jo shook her head in mute disbelief. Either I heard that wrong or Jill is crazy.

Jill waited for that to sink in then said, "I had Fred do an internet search for news on the top fifty cities. Everyone of them had out of control zombies. I had him look for news in every country we could find. The Z is everywhere."

Jo shook her head again.

Jill ignored her and continued, "And if you want a good place to ride out the zombie crisis, you'd want a place that has lots of guns, the money to buy them, and not many people. As awful as it is in Fort Worth, Paris is much worse. All of Europe has strict gun control and their population density is greater than ours. We're the only big country in the world with anything like an armed population. Japan, London, France, Germany, lots and lots of people and no guns. Texas should be heaven compared to them."

JoAnna looked like Jill had slapped her. She took several deep breaths then managed to choke out, "Mom. Dad."

Jill replied evenly, "Should be ok. Israel has everyone do armed service. They've got the wall. They're used to the idea of random people attacking. Their army is huge for their population."

JoAnna relaxed just a hair, and Jill added, "But they're not coming back." JoAnna looked like she wanted to protest but before she could Jill continued, "Jo, civilization just crashed, and your parents are on the other side of the world. We're going to lose electricity, gas is going to become scarce, there's already no where in Europe they could stop to refuel. They'll be fine, but they'll be fine over there."

Jo looked sick, Jill let her digest everything that she'd said.

Dismayed, Jo stared through the wall at the world outside and thought, She's serious. Jill really sees the end of the world here and everywhere.

Which doesn't mean that's what's happening. Fred could have been playing a joke on her... but isn't it the other Fred who likes do that?

Jo looked at her amazonian sister and tried to picture her reaction to misinformation on this scale. When I picture Red Fred pulling something like that I also picture Jill beating him up. I'd think he'd visualize that too. And she went to him, this is something she's come up with on her own. But she might be just seeing what she's looking for. Her family just died. It'd be easy to see the glass as half empty, and the media would help. All those grim reports about New Orleans were just wrong...

Or she might be right.

Jo shivered and said, "You've been thinking about this longer than me, what do you think we should do?"

Jill replied, "Think of survivor in the opening few episodes."

Jo smiled and said, "So all we have to do is make sure we're not voted off the island?"

Jill said, "I meant this is when alliances are formed. The good news is more than one person can win. The bad news is getting voted off the island means you don't just leave. The really bad news is... Jo. Half the people on this ship are going to die."

Jo replied, "Not the better half." Jo recognized the quote from Titanic and said the next line without blinking. They'd seen it maybe a dozen times together.

Jo thought for a moment then said, "If we're playing survivor, then allying with the guy who is handcuffed to the immunity statue is good."

Jill nodded in agreement.

Jo added, "Adam would be a good choice too."

Jill shook her head in disagreement and said, "No. Adam would be a horrible choice. He's weak."

Jo sputtered, "Weak?!" Weak by what set of crazy standards? "Short of James, who is stronger? He's physically the second strongest man here, and a surgeon, and he's got a 3rd degree black belt. The way the riot was described he did better than anyone else there."

Jill nodded in agreement and said flatly, "Agreed. But he'll be sick in a week to a month, and dead after that. Not with the Z, Adam has big league Diabetes."

Jo frowned and said, "That's not..."

Jill finished the sentence for her, "...a big deal. Not last week. A week ago if you'd presented him as a brother-in-law I'd have welcomed him without question. But it's a death sentence now. We can't make those drugs any more and we can't refrigerate them. He's going to die, and he knows he's going to die. It's in his eyes."

JoAnna frowned. Wow she's really into this. I'm glad I don't... Jo exclaimed, "Jill, your parents!?"

Jill looked tired and completed that sentence too, "Are going to die, just like Adam. They both need drugs they're not going to get. And that's if Dad's immune system didn't already give him the Z." Jill's father had a heart transplant several years ago and her mother had cancer.

JoAnna just stared at Jill. OK, she's really, really, really into this. Doom and gloom for the world. Good Goddess I hope she's wrong.

After a moment JoAnna moved on and said, "If not Adam, then what do you want to do?"

Jill replied, "I think we should double down on James."

Jo asked cautiously, "What does that mean? You sound like you already have a plan."

Jill nodded and outlined her plan.

Jo put her professional stage face on. You have got to be kidding me. Jo looked closely. No, she's serious.

Jo commented, "It seems a little... forward? Direct? Quick? What word am I looking for?"

Jill replied, "'Direct' works. And yes it is. The question is whether or not you're willing?"

Jo paused and seriously considered 'The Plan'. Well... it should work, he's a guy. What happens after that is anyone's guess. Jill is obviously off her rocker right now. I'm shocked to hear her admit James is stronger than she is. She should be talking about how raw strength can be beaten on horseback. Watching her kids die ripped her heart out. OK, Jill is crazy... but would the plan work for me if she's wrong about everything? That's... a good question.

Worst case is everyone goes their own way and I don't get any magic, maybe the press finds out.

Jo said, "Yes. Count me in. I know where there's some ribbon too."

Jill relaxed marginally and said, "Good." Jo honey, we need to be quick and direct, or rather I need to be. After I'm sick I'll be stuck in that hellish room and no good for anyone. And in a world where I'm not strong enough to save my kids, and Jack Sr. had to die to save me, then the only person strong enough to save you is James.

7:55 AM: James DeBeer, Fort Worth Texas

For the twentieth time James split into the sink. He'd turned a white hand towel black, run lots of water over his face, then into his eyes, and now he felt like he'd been scrubbing them with sandpaper. On the whole this was an improvement. His reflection in the mirror looked back at him with bloodshot eyes and streaks of grime. He knew he smelled of smoke and oil too.

James smiled and said grimly to his reflection, "Hey, at least the day can't get any worse." On cue, the door to the bathroom shook slightly.

James looked at the door fondly. He'd been expecting the zombie to break it down and attack him for the last twenty minutes, and that it hadn't wasn't for lack of trying. James thought, That thing is solid wood. It's a few inches taller too... non-standard doors are expensive. Who spends that kind of money on a bathroom door? I'll bet all the doors in the house are like this. I have to admit I feel safe in here. I wonder how many people are hiding in single rooms like this? Access to water, a toilet, zombies on the other side, no weapons... hundreds seems too small. Thousands? Tens of thousands? What do you do in this situation?

The zombies break in and infect you, most doors aren't this solid. Or you die waiting for help that isn't going to come. No one is going to come and help me. James said out-loud, "So that means I have to help myself."

James rushed the door and pushed hard with his full weight and strength. The door held but the frame did not, James pushed the door with the zombie on the other side into the wall on the opposite side. James heard bones snap behind the door and to his left another zombie hissed and stepped forward. James thought, Missed one, two on one isn't fair guys.

Acting on instinct, James summoned his blade left handed and put it into the left zombie's head. Then he rolled the door right so the zombie behind it fell to the ground on it's front. James stabbed it through the back of it's head while it was down.

James deliberately let go of the blade and let it fade into non-existence. James thought, And speaking of unfair... bah. All is fair in love and war and all that. Or in other words, tough shit. You're both dead and I'm alive. Live with it.

James smiled grimly and looked around. I can still hear the fire, I must be close. Considering how I opened the front door I should check and see if I own anyone anything.

James loudly said, "Hello?! A couple of zombies got in but they're dead now!" Yelling like that is a good way to attract zombies. Of course if there is a home owner then I might get shot.

James walked around and didn't see anyone. I broke in there. James, master of subtlety. Kitchen hasn't been ransacked. Was whoever lives here out when it hit the fan? Did they flee the fire? I guess I could make myself some lunch and take it with me. I'm a bit tired of pizza.

James opened a door and looked inside. One car garage, complete with one car. Might have been a second one... but this place feels like it's lived in, like the owner is here. I should check upstairs, they could be asleep. It'd just be plain WRONG to break up the front door to let the zombies in and just leave.

James found some stairs leading down and investigating found an unfinished basement. James said, "Hello?!" Boxes. Could have someone hidden in them I guess but I'm not going to spend all day looking. How many people put in hidden bunkers in their basements to defend against a zombie attack? Well, without being hauled off to the nut house?

James found some stairs leading up and said again, "Hello?!" If I keep at this long enough more zombies will show up. I really should have used Jill's sword on those two... spare the juice.

James found a locked door. He knocked and said, "Hello, is anyone in there? James DeBeer out here, I'm with the fire department."

There was no answer.

James hesitated. Now what? That's got to be the master bedroom. If I were on the job I'd break the door down. Guess I still am. Let's be smarter this time and draw the sword first.

James drew his sword and kicked the door at full strength. The door flew off it's hinges and landed then fell flatly to the floor. The room smelled of blood and gore. There were two corpses in the room, both lying in bed and both shot in the head. The dead woman was wearing a wedding gown now with red specs. The man was wearing a suit coat, tie, and still held the gun he'd used to kill both of them.

James took one glance at the bed and retreated from the room. Did they kill themselves when I broke down the door? It wasn't like I had a choice.

Wait, how many chicks have you seen lounge around in their wedding dress? And this house has that lived in feel. They weren't in the middle of unpacking, they've been here a while.

They saw the end of the world coming and decided to dress the part to check out. Their wedding was probably the happiest day of their lives. That's sad and stupid. You need to fight for life, and they obviously had a car and gun, probably food too.

Maybe they both got infected with the Z and decided to end it early? Or maybe just she had the Z and her husband dressed her up right before he killed her? Or maybe she had a heart attack, he dressed her up, and then shot her to make sure she wouldn't come back?

Or maybe I don't think it's a productive use of my time to investigate this. I could figure it out... see how old the blood is, if it's dried, and if she shows any signs of infection... but they're going to stay dead.

James went back downstairs and started looking through the kitchen. Feels like I'm disturbing someone's grave. Well, they had food, I can fill a box of goodies here easy. Although I didn't come here for food, remember, I'm actually here for...

...guns. Like the one upstairs.

...he's dead, he's not getting any deader, and he's not going to need that hand gun. I'll bet there's a box of ammo in there too.

Squeamish? You need that gun. The gun shop is only theoretical, this is right here and right now.

Grow a Thick Skin. Or die.

Maybe I can't die.

You can certainly get the people around you killed by making mistakes though. Think of Norma and her kid. Maybe you already have. James, grow a pair and go get the damn gun.

James forced one foot in front of the other and went back upstairs. He carefully removed the gun from it's owner's dead cold hand, then wiped it off with a bathroom towel. 20 year old standard Texas hand cannon. Wouldn't be out of place in a dirty Harry movie. When I open it I'll bet I'll find dust. Ammo is old but the plastic is freshly broken.

It's like I'm holding Hitler's desk pen. And object stained by it's use. This was used in an act of despair. ...I'm better off with it than without it. But if I find a better one at that store I'm dumping this one.

There was a noise downstairs, perhaps a moan too. James thought, And there's a minion of evil. If I kill one of them with this, will that wash away the human blood on it?

...and maybe this is an unproductive line of thinking? Focus James.

Right, gun store. No. Let's reload first.

James ignored the sounds coming from downstairs and reloaded the gun. I could leave. Hop out the window and just be gone. Is it worth a bullet just because I feel bad about this? Does that zombie deserve to die just because I feel like crap and my eyes hurt?

That zombie deserves to die because it killed whoever's skin it's wearing. And I left all the bags downstairs. The gun will fit in my rear pocket, but the box of ammo should be in a better container or I might lose some.

James waited several moments for the creature to find him then shot it in the head at close range when it walked through the door. It dropped without making another move.

James walked downstairs, picked up his bags, and then walked out the front door, got his bearings, and started towards the gun store again at a half jog.

Archived