Aberrant: Dead Rising - Origins: Relationships are History (James)[Mature] [Finished]

Courier

Tuesday November 14th. Z-Day +1

1:25 PM: James DeBeer, On the roof of the Ridgmar Mall, Fort Worth, Texas. Map

James reached the top of the wall and looked around. Good grief. The other side of the roof is over the horizon. From the inside you don't realize how big the Ridgmar is. The other side is a half mile away. I could leap but let's spare the juice. The airport is over there somewhere.

Over the cell phone Bill said, "So, tell me about yourself? When and how did you become a super-hero?"

James replied, "I'm a local fireman. I was on duty Monday morning when all this hit the fan and my crew got overrun by a hoard. One moment we're all about to die and boom. I'm super strong and swinging this sword around." Bill Gafford... where do I know that name from?

Bill asked, "Sword?"

James said, "Yeah... and look, I'm kind of busy right now and not only does the cell have a limited battery, but sneaking around a zombie hoard isn't all that compatible with talking into this thing. I'm hanging up."

Bill said, "No, wait..." as James hung up.

James waited a moment but Bill didn't call back. No one up here, zombie or normal, but one careless step puts me through those skylights... and there was something odd about that guy.

James walked for a while and then though he heard movement and voices. Zombies? Up here?

Quote:
"Hey Chris! You're missing a good show!"
Chris? Show? Those aren't zombies.

James walked to where he heard the voices then tried to make sense of what he was looking at. Smoking hot chick wearing a bra and tight pants prancing around the roof. Lingerie model? And there's another one, who is resting next to some guy dressed up as mid-evil Knight.

...photo shoot? Here? Now? This is a media event?

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

James watched the brunet's 'show' longer than he strictly needed to make sense of things. More stuck people. The guy in the armor is obviously 'Chris'. Wow, are those real? She's not a model. Dancer of some type? Hand motions seem odd...

JoAnna bowed low to the 'crowd' in the parking lot.

James thought, Show is over... now if I'd been in the parking lot I'd have gotten more of an eyeful. Well... James started clapping.

Jillian and Gloria looked at each other then around. They took a few moments to realize the clapping was coming from above and behind them. Thinking the girls were clapping Jo bowed again to the parking lot and then turned around, then looked up to see what they were looking at.

James said, "Well hello there."

Jo walked over to James and winked at Jill in passing. The 'summon help' plan had worked. A heavily muscled man wearing a 'SECURITY' shirt was close to ideal. Jo looked up and said, "Hi there yourself. Say, could you give us a hand? We're sort of trapped down here."

James looked down at the ladies and thought My view just improved, but looking down her chest is a distraction no matter how pleasant. I'm here to see an airplane remember?... But let's climb down anyway. James said, "Be glad to."

James lowered himself so he was hanging from the edge of the wall by his fingertips.

Realizing what was going to happen Jill yelled, "No! You won't be able to get back up!"

James let go anyway and landed on the lower roof. Not bad. Didn't lose any juice there.

Gloria said in a horrified tone of voice, "Oh. My. God."

Jill stormed over and said, "Now how exactly are you going to get back up there!?! There's 100 zombies on the other side of that door! You're just as stuck as we are!" Idiot. Total moron. He was paying attention to Jo's chest and totally...

James slapped his hands together and with an effort of will tried to not stare at the Brunet's chest. Hey, the knight is a gal too. Blond, about the same age as the others, might be good looking under that. 'Chris' is a unisex name.

JoAnna looked at James closely and noticed the 'Star Trek' insignia and, more importantly, the total lack of any rope, pikes, or other climbing equipment. JoAnna said, "Please tell me there's some one else up there."

James replied reasonably, "No, there's no one else up there. And no, I'm not a total idiot. I'm not stuck. I could climb that wall. Or leap it." That's it. Keep looking at her face.

All three women looked briefly at the impossibly high, flat, brick wall and then back at James. His claim was flatly impossible. Gloria repeated in the same horrified voice, "Oh. My. God."

Jill asked sarcastically, "What, you're going to beam yourself up there Trekkie?" If this is his idea of a bad joke I'll...

James said, "This would go a lot better if I just showed you. Watch."

James held up his thumb and forefinger, walked over to the corner of the wall, grabbed a corner brick, and did a chin up without much effort. Then he pinched another corner brick with his other hand and lifted himself even further. Four feet up he paused looked down then dropped back down. Three open mouths...

James said seriously, "See? It's climbable."

Jillian thought, A two finger pull up? On a brick corner? I... couldn't do that. I weigh half what he does and I couldn't do that.

JoAnna said, "You... are you a professional climber? And what did you mean by saying it was leap-able? Was that a climber's joke?" Not insane. Not stuck here either. Bare rock finger climber. Well now. I was right the first time. Very close to ideal.

James replied, "No, I meant I can leap tall buildings in a single bound." Oh that sounds so stupid.

James added hastily, "Look, I'm a super hero. I can leap for miles, I'm super-strong, and I'm super-tough."

Jo got a fixed expression on her face. OK, we're back to insane.

James thought, They don't believe me. Well, let's be fair. I barely believe me.

James said, "Super-tough" and scratched a two foot tall 'J' in the brick with his bare finger. Then he held up his finger to show it wasn't scratched.

James said, "Super-strong" and pulled a brick from the corner with a crunching sound. James commented, "I don't know if I could crush this, but if I did we'd get stone fragments and two of you have a lot of exposed skin. The leap for miles thing I could do safely but, you know, I'd be miles away. Also that kind of thing wears me out real quick."

Gloria said in disbelief, "Oh. My. God! How..."

James said, "Beats me. Magic maybe. Science guys say I'm breaking natural laws. Like the strength? I know I look the part but whatever I'm doing ignores leverage. It's basically this massive 'I win' card in a fight."

Somewhat flabbergasted, Jo took the brick from James and fit it back where it came from. Magicians as a class were profoundly annoyed by people who claimed to be using 'real' magic. JoAnna thought, He's much better than Geller. Three rules for understanding magic. One, know that it's a trick. Two, understand that it's a trick. Three, believe that it's a trick. Then you start from there.

Could I do what he just did? Oh yeah, easily. Break a brick, put it back, then take it out again. The letter 'J'... carve a 'J' then hide it. No way he could predict a real magician would be here. The fakes always refuse to do their thing around us. The hard part is understanding how he knew anyone would be up here... no. SECURITY shirt. He works here, this is where he practices. Chris is in his office.

Seriously Hot Body, obviously gets it from being a big league rock climber. That works very well with some kinds of escape illusions. He's got some stage presence too. I'd say he has a shot at the big time if he'd clean up his act. I like him, but it's offensive and unprofessional to be calling the trade 'magic'.

On the other hand he's getting serious brownie points for getting us out of here. If he wants to stay in character to save the girls, I can live with that. We'll hold back on the whole 'calling it magic is offensive' talk until being eaten by zombies is off the list of options. After we get out of here I'll even give him a few pointers.

Gloria recovered first and asked, "What else can you do? And that shirt, are you from the future?"

James replied, "No, I'm a local boy. The shirt is a joke. Fred gave me this one as a replacement after mine got trashed. Me being super-tough doesn't make my clothes the same." It's hard to talk about clothing to a pair of half naked women.

James added, "And I've got this knife made of black fire. Think of it as molten copper, it melts pretty near anything but I can use it to shave. But it costs juice or something to make it so I won't right now because it's a bad time to get tired out."

Jo mentally translated, In other words he doesn't have that trick set up right now. VERY standard for a mentalist; The tricks don't work all the time, just like a magician it's only when you have control of the surroundings. When you don't have control you're 'too tired' or 'the spirits aren't willing' or some other excuse. This is why it's harder to be a magician, our tricks have to work all the time. Uri can't even bend a spoon all the time.

And let's get this show on the road. Time for the great hero to rescue the poppets in peril already. What's my line? Let's see... this is his home stage... oh! Right! He already knows where all the hand holds are on the walls. We didn't see any but we're not finger tip rock climbers. So... gut in, chest out, swing the hips just so, and... action.

Jo stepped over and asked breathlessly, "Could you climb over and save Chris too?"

Gloria added, "And get our shirts?"

James looked at the Knight and said, "I thought you were Chris?"

Jo said, "Oh, we didn't introduce ourselves. I'm JoAnna, my friends call me Jo..." Jo winked at James making it clear he should "... and this is Gloria and this is Jillian."

James gave a slight bow and said, "And I'm James DeBeer. Please call me James."

Jillian said, "Call me Jill. And Jo is right."

Jill took charge, walked to the edge of the roof and pointed, "Their shirts are there. More importantly there's another woman and two children. Chris took some sleeping pills and is unconscious. The kids are young. They'll be hungry, scared, and I need to get over there. Our gear and food is over there too."

Jill looked at James with some mix of hope and desperation, "Can you climb over there and carry me at the same time?" Great, I'm asking some man to be stronger than I am.

James looked at the wall, the window, and the warrior woman. Just like the first trip yesterday, and that took forever. No, this will be better. She's not holding a baby and she's a lot stronger than Norma was. We'll make a sling after we get over there.

James replied, "No problem."

James carefully climbed out onto the brick wall. Jill climbed onto him and shifted her position as he shifted his. Watching him work from close up drove home how impossible it was.

Jill thought, No one is strong enough to hold 400 pounds from one finger, much less break mortar for a handhold. Even if his fingers were made of metal we should fall off. Our center of gravity is too far away from the wall and he's not bracing this right.

After a few moments the window came within reach. James fiddled with the 'rope' a few moments then handed it back to Jill.

Jill said, "Watch out for broken glass... right. Never mind."

James replied, "It takes some getting used to. And we're not going to leave the glass there anyway." James reached in and pulled the entire window frame out and let it fall to the ground with a crash.

James shifted his grip so he was holding onto Jill with one hand and the window with the other. He said, "Ok, now I'm going to swing inside then pull you in." James thought, I don't hear any zombies and they'd attack my hand. If I see something I'll abort this and climb back.

James went inside, instantly realized what had happened, and in a split second decision pulled Jill in anyway.

Jill screamed "NOOOOO!!!" and fell bonelessly to her knees sobbing.

The central feature of the room was the dead woman hanging in the middle of it. There was an overturned chair off to one side where she'd kicked it away. Quick work, but very deliberate. James took a step towards her to cut her down but changed his mind. She'd voided herself. The room stank of shit and a small pool of the stuff had formed below her where it'd dribbled through her clothing. She'd been dead for hours.

1:25 PM: James DeBeer, Inside the Ridgmar Mall, Fort Worth, Texas. Map

Jill sobbed like her soul was dying, "Whywhywhywhywhy..." It wasn't just the shock of loss, this was betrayal on every level too. Chris was never going to save the rest of them. Jill had fought her way up the stairway for a corpse.

James looked away from her grief, walked into the room, and looked around. No note. No signs of a struggle. I don't see any bite marks on her or any signs she was converting. Full duffel bags are probably the girl's. Pretty standard office set up except for the couch. Two doors. One leads outside to the zombies. The other... weren't there children?

James walked further into the room and heard a hiss from behind him. The other door had opened and a child was walking towards Jill. He'd seen that gait too many times to think it was a living child.

Jill saw the child and said, "Jack!" and held up her arms.

James and the child-zombie reached Jill at the same time. It lunged forward with it's mouth open and bit down on James interposed hand.

James said, "Darn it. That's the same hand!" James picked up the creature by it's head with his hand still in it's mouth. Shoot! It's a kid. I can't kill a kid... no, it was a kid, the fungus killed him, this is just a shell.

Jill said, "Don't hurt him!"

James replied, "Jill! He's a zombie!"

Jill said, "Maybe he can be cured!"

A hand broke through the other door with a loud Crack! The other zombies had realized there was live flesh inside the room and the interior office door wasn't built to stop them.

James yelled back, "They don't become Zoms until after they're dead." With super-human strength and desperation James threw the zombie child out the window then sprinted to the rapidly disintegrating door.

Jill screamed in outrage, "No! You Bastard!" and moved to the window.

The zombie coming through the door forgot it hadn't broken the lower part and reached for James. James summoned his blade and put it through the creature's skull. Boom. Headshot. DON'T lose concentration on the blade, it's only summoning it that's expensive, not keeping it around. This is a choke point, I can do this forever. The sickly sweet smell of burning human flesh filled the room and another zombie reached in through the broken door. James cut off it's arm right above it's elbow... and his blade flickered. Wait? What happened? Did I lost focus there for a moment?

Jill looked out the window and saw Jack Junior rise uninjured to his feet and start walking to below the window. From a distance the two exchanged a glance... and Jill saw nothing human looking back at her.

The zombie missing an arm pushed more fully into the room and James stabbed it twice more, this time killing it. Again he needed to use juice to keep his blade real. Oh, crap! I can't keep focus AND fight! This isn't going to work!

James yelled, "Jillian! This isn't going to work, I can't keep fighting these guys with the blade, it's tiring me out." What should we do? Wait, no problem. I'll grab the girl and jump out the window. Very action movie-ish. If I can leap... can I land? Shoot, I don't know. My powers don't always make sense.

Jill squeezed her eyes closed to stop looking at the bloated horror that was Jack and to keep any tears out. Damn it! You're stronger than this! Tougher than this! Chris being a weak, useless, traitor isn't an excuse for you to let anyone down. Focus. Focus or you are going to die. James can't hold the door. John wasn't sick. He'll have hidden here somewhere.

Jill took a deep breath and turned around. She drew her sword fully intending to work out her frustrations killing some zombies, then hesitated. Right, let's ignore John, just like Chris did. I really want to beat on them but that's not important right now.

Jill strode forward, and ordered, "James, use this sword."

James said, "I'm too strong, it will break!"

Jill yelled back, "Like hell it will! I made it! It will work!"

James thought, She's near her breaking point. Sword will break, but it will work once first. James took the sword and swung it back handed, almost causally splitting a zombie in two like a rotten peach. Whoa... it didn't break. Let's try that again.

James went to work with a vengeance. He thought, Very, very, very nice. If you have the right tools then there's no stopping you.

Looking away from Chris' hanging corpse, Jill got another sword out from her gear. Then she watched James for several moments to see if he could really hold the door. Holds it a little off, it's not an axe. Footwork is ok... he'll be fine. Between the door and the dead bodies piling up they're not getting through any time soon.

Would I have given my sword to Jack Sr? No... I'd have stood there and made him search the room. Speaking of which... where would I be if I were a frightened two year old? Jill yelled, "John! John you can come out! It's Jill!"

Jill listened for several moments and heard nothing but the moaning dead, the chopping of flesh, and an occasional grunt from James.

Jill got on her hands and knees and looked around the room from mouse level. John's idea of hiding was normally to get underneath something. Her eye was drawn by movement but it was just a drop of shit dripping down from Chris.

Jill thought a bit unsteadily, This a bit like looking for your keys under a lamp because the light is better there. John was in the other room...

Jill walked around Chris and to the door to the other room and looked inside. What was left didn't much look like John. Jack had worked at his brother for hours but hadn't had time to finish.

Jill gagged at seeing her children had eaten each other. I will not throw up. I will not... Jill vomited on John's remains. Oh... God. Goddess. Whoever. This was why Chris killed herself. She couldn't stop Jack, then she took the coward's way out and killed herself, leaving me to die here. Weakling. Traitor. The kids would have been better off with Jack Sr. He was a total asshole but they'd still be alive. Maybe. He was weaker than me, so maybe not.

Jill's stream of realization was interrupted by the sound of bones splintering, then metal screamed against metal. She turned away from her dead child with tears rolling unknowingly down her cheeks. He was dead, she hadn't been strong enough. In the other room Jill found James force fitting desks and file cabinets into a barricade. Metal screamed again then stopped as he stepped back and surveyed his work.

James turned around and instantly noticed there was no kid and Jill looked worse. James asked, "What's wrong?" Stupid question. The zombies weren't trying to break in until we came in. Ergo there wasn't anyone alive in here.

Jill choked, pointed a finger into the other room, and walked away. She couldn't say it.

James strode over and looked in. Ick. James said awkwardly, "I'm sorry. Maybe if..." Maybe if I'd been here sooner I could have stopped this. Let's not go there. Bad idea in general to take responsibility where you have none. This isn't the first time someone has died because I've been called in late to the fire. Super powers don't change that.

James tried again, "What do you want to do?" Please don't say take them with us.

Jill stared out the window at Jack Jr without replying.

James said, "Jill? How about we take whatever is useful here and go?"

Jill said something too quietly for James to hear.

James said, "What was that?"

Jill replied loudly, "I. Said. Kill. Jack. Please." In a more normal tone of voice she added, "I can't leave him suffering like this." He's killed enough children, but I'm not... strong enough to do it myself. I'll remember him the way he was.

Jill turned away from the window, James walked over and pulled a half brick out of the window. He looked down and saw Jack standing at the bottom looking up. Poor kid. No, Jill is wrong, the Docs said he's already past suffering... I guess. If there's a soul trapped in there I don't want to think about it.

James cocked back his arm getting ready to throw his brick... This feels wrong. Like I'm about to kill a kid.

...Get over it. That red skeleton in the other room was his work. He's already dead, this is just that damn fungus or whatever walking around in his shell. James threw his brick, crushing the boy's skull.

1:45 PM: James DeBeer, Inside the Ridgmar Mall, Fort Worth, Texas. Map

Jill heard the crunch of her son's skull shattering and winced. That will be enough of that. No more tears, especially not for Chris.

A dead hand pounded on the makeshift barricade, Jill was certain she saw it quiver. This isn't over. Mourn later, act now. What do we need from this room? Not Chris's body, let the zombies choke on her. Leave the kid's stuff, even Mr. Whitey. Leave that bag, it was Chris'. So... my gear, tools, & weapons. The food. We've only got one meal's worth but worry later. Jo's stuff. The cell phones...

Ignoring Chris' body Jill quickly sorted through her stuff and said, "The stuff on this side will be useful, that's food, spare weapons and the like, we're pitching everything else. How'd you like the sword?"

James replied, "It's heaven. I've broken several axes. This slices and dices and keeps going." And it's hers. Time to give it back.

James cleaned it off the carpet and reluctantly held the hilt out to Jill saying, "I'm sorry to return it."

Jill stared at James hand for a moment. Jack bit him right there. Teeth on bare skin, and no blood. That's amazingly unfair. Ditto the strength in spades. It's like a video game with cheat mode on. And... grow up. Jack Sr was right, he and I wouldn't have held that door. A dead fist pounded as if echoing Jill's thought.

Jill took the blade back and replied, "There's more in the big gray bag, and my backup blade here, and more back at my house. We'll find you a replacement or two."

James replied, "Well thank you kindly. Do you collect them?"

Jill answered, "Not exactly. I make them. I made everything metal you see me wearing. But let's move out."

1:45 PM: James DeBeer, Outside the Ridgmar Mall, Fort Worth, Texas. Map

James put two bags and two shirts around his neck and climbed out the window and headed up, not across, the wall. On the upper roof he dropped the bags then dropped back down to the lower roof and Gloria and Jo. James handed over the women's shirts and they put them on.

With fear in her eyes, Jo asked, "Is Jill all right?"

Gloria said awkwardly, "We heard... we saw..."

James summed up, "Jill is... 'fine' doesn't seem like the right word. Chris killed herself hours ago, probably right after Jack converted and ate John. Zombies broke in to get us but I've set up a barricade."

Jo inhaled sharply with relief and regret. She'd been expecting bad news but it still felt like James had slapped her. Goddess. I liked them. Jill must be taking this hard, she sacrificed so much to be with them.

James continued, "We're taking what's useful from the office and taking it up to the roof. I'd like to move both of you up there now too."

Gloria put her shirt on and protested, "Why the roof and not the ground? It will be windy up there."

James replied, "There are no zombies on the upper roof and that brace looks weak. There are zombies on the ground and we should talk about what happens next before you go there."

Jo put in, "I agree. We need to move up, that's a much better move than down."

Gloria looked at the poorly braced door and said, "I guess there's more sun up top. Fine, let's go."

Jo watched James carry Gloria up the wall and thought, Impressive, but I caught the way he avoided having to climb down. Translation: He knows the hand holds for going up but not for going down, or at least not here. Climbing down and/or making hand holds that breach security would get him fired so he didn't make them here. He'll find a reason to lead us to one side, and that will be right next to how he got up. Rope ladder maybe. It's a variant on the 'false choice'. Solid 'B+' on showmanship, he loses a point because I had to help him cover.

James reached the top, let Gloria off, then dropped back down.

JoAnna gave James a wink, a big welcoming smile and said, "My hero."

James thought, She's a very attractive girl... I should find a way to climb that has us rubbing our fronts together... and this is so not the time, not the place, and not the method. Climb now, flirt later. Besides, girls like this only date rock stars and professional athletes... which I guess I am. Now there's a thought.

James said, "OK, like you saw Gloria and Jill."

2:05 PM: James DeBeer, On the roof of the Ridgmar Mall, Fort Worth, Texas. Map

Jill came up on the last trip. Instead of a blanket, she'd draped what was left of John with an old 48 star American flag she'd found in the office somewhere. James didn't ask where she'd found the flag. She wasn't crying but she looked grim, like she'd seen the inside of hell.

The instant James swung her up Jo moved to hug her saying "Jill I'm so sorry..."

James interrupted by ordering sharply, "Stay there!"

All three women turned to James and he continued, "JoAnna, I'm sorry, but that's contaminated blood Jill has on her. One scratch from the wrong part of her gear and you've got the plague. Ditto getting some of it on your eyes or mouth... maybe. CDC says it's body fluids. So if she's got it then it's a bad idea to kiss her."

Gloria and Jo looked at Jill uneasily, Jill looked down at herself and said, "You could have mentioned this earlier."

James replied, "I should have. You didn't run any risks in front of me until now and I'm not used to this whole biological contamination issue. If the office had a wash room I'd have insisted on you using it, but it didn't. You're inside a suit of armor so you're unlikely to contaminate yourself and they say I'm almost certainly immune."

Jill said, "This just sucks. Oh... no... most of the SCA, I don't think they... I mean no one mentioned..." Goddess I rubbed my eyes back there. And I've got an open wound where Jack bit me.

JoAnna said grimly, "All the knights have blood on them."

Gloria asked, "Wait, who is they, and why do they say you're immune?"

James replied, "Scientists, well, Doctors anyway. I guess they count. I'm operating out of a base and they're studying me there."

Disbelief heavy on her voice JoAnna asked, "You have a fortress of solitude?" I can't tell if he really believes this or not. Maybe he saw his family die or something and snapped?

James replied, "No, I have one tower of a hospital where we barricaded the fire door and stopped it from being totally overrun. We have the North Tower of Harris Methodist, the zombies have everything else. One of my crew got bitten, we took him in, then everyone who was sick converted and things got messy. I went all super down in the lobby when my crew got over run. One moment I'm about to be eaten, then the next I'm swinging this burning black sword around."

James continued, "After that we were sort of stuck there and the Docs checked me out. They're the ones who say I'm breaking natural laws. And they figure I'm immune because I was exposed several times since yesterday morning and I'm not showing any signs. Besides, I can't be scratched."

JoAnna thought, Burning black sword that conveniently isn't around. Annoying talk about breaking natural laws and fooling 'scientists', like they're a good judge of what people can do. Please dear goddess let him just be staying in character.

JoAnna asked carefully, "Then who exactly is your crew?"

James replied, "Oh, right. I didn't mention that part, I'm a local fireman. That makes me a first responder and we were the first to see the zombie break out. The first people to get sick were the very old and infirm, a nurse pulled the fire alarm at a nursing home."

JoAnna thought, He hesitated very briefly there. Good. Very good. He knows he's lying, so he's playing a character. I wonder if he's an actor? Or maybe a stunt man?

2:05 PM: James DeBeer, On the roof of the Ridgmar Mall, Fort Worth, Texas. Map

Changing the subject, JoAnna asked, "Anyone hungry?"

Jill said, "There are wipes in a red bag inside that duffel. There's food too. Not much, but enough."

James said, "I ate right before I came here. You chow down, I'm going to walk to the edge over there and take a look see. Scouting was the whole reason I came here."

Gloria asked, "How is that?"

James answered, "The world's biggest toilet paper manufacturer is based here. They're a Fortune 500 so of course they have a corporate jet. I pulled their pilot, his wife, and their kid out of maternity when it got over run yesterday. Alfred said his plane is at the air field right over there and everyone sent me here to scout it out."

Jo asked, "Toilet paper?" Does he make this up as he goes along?

Gloria answered, "Kimberly Clark. I had a boyfriend who worked there."

James walked away and JoAnna stared at his back for a moment, then turned to Jill and asked, "Jill? Is that one of your swords he's got strapped to his back?"

Jill replied, "Yes. He said that fire blade of his is too expensive to use in combat. When the zombies broke in I gave him one of mine."

JoAnna opened her mouth then shut it without saying anything. Let's not go there. Jill *just* lost her family. Telling her she was conned out of one of her swords isn't going to go over well... and even if we take the whole 'magic' issue off the table, she probably would have given him one of her swords anyway. Which doesn't make me less annoyed that someone is taking advantage of my sister. mad

2:15 PM: Jo, Jill, & Gloria, On the roof of the Ridgmar Mall, Fort Worth, Texas. Map

At Jill's direction, JoAnna got out the wipes and everyone cleaned their hands. Then they got out what little food they had and started eating.

Jo innocently asked Jill, "So... how was he?" Gloria choked, Jill looked a little confused. Jo explained, "With a sword I mean."

Jill thought a moment then replied, "He's pretty good. He's confident and has the basics down, I didn't need to tell him what to do. Clearly he's done something like this before, he can handle himself. I didn't need to help him, he held the door by himself."

Jill added, "He'd benefit from some instruction though. His biggest weakness is he doesn't like to thrust or use the tip. He's not real experienced but I think I could make a man out of him."

Gloria and Jo burst out laughing and Jill glared at them, then chuckled a bit herself.

2:15 PM: James DeBeer, On the roof of the Ridgmar Mall, Fort Worth, Texas. Map

James reached the edge of the Ridgmar, took out his binoculars, and looked at the Jrb airstrip. No smoke. Where there's no smoke, there's no fire. smile Hello, there's someone. Walking good... probably a blue uniform although I can't tell if it's military or flight crew. Not a zombie. I see... a few people at the edge of the fence who are either drunk or zombies. This is a hot area, but the mall is taking the worst of it. Fence, ah, the fence shifts a lot of the weight of them here. They don't climb. Oh very nice, there are some people getting on a plane. The airport is operational. I'll bet the big airports aren't, smaller is better.

Mission Accomplished. James walked back to the girls.

2:25 PM: James, Jo, Jill, & Gloria, On the roof of the Ridgmar Mall, Fort Worth, Texas. Map

James walked back to find the three women laughing and looking at him guiltily. He thought, Three cats looking at a mouse hole... one guess who the mouse is. I am so not asking what they're laughing about.

James said, "Well, that was good news. The airport is working. Their fence has kind of sent the zombies this way, but whatever. I wanted to talk with you about what you want to do now..."

James cell phone went off. He grimaced and mouthed 'Sorry' to the ladies and answered it anyway saying, "James DeBeer". Please be Mary or...

The voice on the other side said, "Hey James, it's Bill Gafford again. I'm just checking up on you. I was hoping you'd be done scouting out the roof of the Mall and could come back and save my family?"

2:25 PM: James, Jo, Jill, & Gloria, On the roof of the Ridgmar Mall, Fort Worth, Texas. Map

James paused. He hadn't forgotten Bill but he had a full plate at the moment. James replied, "I'm not sure. I mean I will, but it's a question of timing. I ran into some other people on the roof here, so I'm either about 10 minutes from you, or an hour or two depending. I'll call you back in a few minutes to let you know."

Bill said, "I thought we were first... but ok." and James hung up.

James turned back to the girls and said, "OK, ladies... the way I see it, you have a choice here. If you have a car in the parking lot I can take you down there and let you drive off."

Jo said, "I thought that's what we'd do," the other two women nodded.

James nodded and said, "The problem is... I think you'll be dead by nightfall if you do that. It's really bad out there and it's getting worse. Everyone, and I mean everyone, is fleeing the city. I've been over the city several times, it's already too late to use the highways, they're effectively locked. The big box stores are either slam packed with customers cheerfully spreading the plague to each other, or they're not answering their phones. The hospitals are zombie centers, emergency services are dead or trapped like we are... and I could go on."

James paused and asked, "First question, do you have a gun or three?"

All three women looked grim. Jo and Jill exchanged glances then shook their heads. Gloria said, "Yes... damn. Not any more."

Jill asked, "What happened to it?"

Gloria replied, "It's in my purse, which is inside the mall. I left it behind during the run."

Jill said, "Then it doesn't exist. James, you said a choice? What's the other option?"

James said, "The other option is I take you back to my place Harris Methodist. That's the hospital me and what's left of my crew are camped out in. Most of it is overrun, but we hold the North Tower. Better still, we have the people who have the plague on drugs which will cure them. We also have cold pizza."

Jill looked appalled and said, "There's a cure? And we just killed Jack?"

James shook his head and replied, "No! It does not work like that. The zombies aren't sick, they're dead. Think of them as hermit crabs. The plague is some fungus or something, after it kills your body it animates it and runs around infecting others. But we've got seriously strong antibiotics and antifungal drugs. That's not just me saying all that as a guess, all of that is from the Docs inside the hospital who have been studying it along with what we're getting off the internet."

Jill closed her eyes. There's a cure. We didn't get to it in time.

Gloria said, "I'm all in favor it! Who can say no to cold pizza. You have a car down there somewhere? Truck maybe?"

James said, "No, I'll have to pick up all of you and your gear and jump there."

Jo thought, Oh lovely. Big production and concentration leading to failure as the spirits aren't willing. And then he'll have to fall back to the pick up truck. Muscles or not, maybe we ditch him in the parking lot? Whatever. OK, I know my line.

Jo gave a big sexy smile and said, "I love it. Let's go."

While the girls cleaned up, James called Bill back and said, "Bill? James again. OK, I'm taking the three gorgeous women people I found on the roof here to safety then I'm coming back for you. Is everyone still healthy?"

A little irritated but trying hard not to be offensive, Bill replied, "Yes, we're all healthy. No is sick, no one was bitten so we don't expect anyone to get sick. We are a little hungry though, especially the children."

James looked around. Technically he was first, and right to be annoyed, but we've got three adults and assorted gear here to ferry. I guess I could just take the girls and leave all the gear; But those swords are going to be seriously useful and that's the bulk of the weight. Leaving everything but the girls and the metal saves... nothing.

OK, so it's one group or the other. Am I saving the girls because they're pretty and right here? ... Yes and no. If they were in the house and Bill was right here I'd probably take him. The roof is exposed and has no water. Besides, it's only going to be an hour or two. They can do that.

James replied, "Hang in there Bill. Help is coming. Trust me. I'm a fireman, rescuing people is what I do."

James hung up and surveyed the girls and gear again. He said, "Jill, I'm putting you on my left arm, away from the others. Same problem as before, that armor is great but needs to be cleaned."

Jill replied, "We took wipes to it. It's a lot better now, less likely to cause problems, but I agree."

James nodded and said, "The key thing to remember is you have to always stay in contact with me. Whatever I do has a touch range, break contact and normal physics apply. Now lets load up."

JoAnna thought, Three beautiful women have to stay in contact with him at all times? Like I didn't see that coming. Let's get this over with. Ten minutes of fooling around and we're off this roof and walking towards your pick up truck. Remember, be surprised and sympathetic when it doesn't work.

James set which direction he was going to go in his head. Then one by one, he picked up all of the bags and hung them from him by their straps. Then he picked up the girls. Gloria and JoAnna with his right arm and Jill with his left.

James thought, Seriously cool. This shouldn't work, my center of gravity is way over there, I should just fall over no matter how strong I am. Ignoring leverage means balance isn't an issue. That makes everything so much easier.

James said, "3... 2... 1...". James took one step and launched himself into the air.

JoAnna said, "Oh that's too baDDDDD!?" ending her statement in a loud squeak.

Gloria looked down and said, "Wow... just wow."

Jill asked, "How fast are we moving? It feels..."

James replied, "Off. I know, it's deceptive. We're moving about 70 miles per hour, but it feels like a lot less. Jo? You ok?"

Jo looked up at James with an expression of shock and terror. She mutely shook her head, clutched his arm even harder, then went back to staring horrified at the ground as her world came apart.

JoAnna thought, IT'S REAL!!!???

Good Goddess, EVERYTHING He Said Was Real? He didn't work at the Mall? That wasn't his stage!? He's breaking natural laws!

Magic? REAL Magic? On DEMAND??? I just lost my job. I just lost ANY potential of doing magic.

Jo took a deep breath and thought it through, No... That was NOT his stage back there. He's NOT in training to be a stage mage. It's just like he said, he's a fireman turned superhero. He probably won't even go into stage magic. And he shouldn't, I've already seen everything he can do, but a real magician can change their act and do anything. I have multiple acts, he just has one.

No. I'm still good. James is just...

Jo struggled to find a mental hole to put James in then settled on, ...an A-List Celebrity.

Wait, Good Goddess, James is an A-LIST Celebrity!?!

JoAnna looked at James again, then looked at the ground, then thought, Yes. Yes, that's Exactly what he is. The rest of the world just hasn't realized it out yet...

• 2 weeks later...

2:30 PM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

From the hospital parking lot, James said, "This is it, last hop. Everyone ready?" JoAnna nodded quietly, the other two women said "Sure" & "Do it".

James leaped again and landed on the North Tower patio, and found a number of grim faced people waiting for him. Oh this looks bad. 'Bad' as in, 'bad news' and not as in, 'James is about to be ribbed for bringing back three more women.'

James asked, "What's happened?"

Dr. Hudson started to speak and Dave interrupted him by saying flatly, "The drugs aren't working. Craig has it, he might have exposed Fred and Carla."

James inhaled, Oh not Fred too then asked, "Who is Craig?" He wasn't in the riot and he wasn't in maternity. He must have been one of the people who turned up when we searched the building yesterday.

Dr. Hudson replied, "First year medical student. He found he had a scratch after he'd been in the infected room."

Dave translated forcefully, "Idiot found the scratch after he came down with symptoms, and after he gave Fred and Carla a pizza. They're in a different room than the others."

James thought, Dave's pissed and no wonder. He might lose his brother over one idiot move.

Jill said, "A scratch? That's all it takes?"

Adam replied, "A scratch on the hand, and then he touched an infected person. Yes. And... I'm Dr. Hatcher, but please, call me Adam."

James said, "This is Jill, JoAnna, and Gloria. I found them on the roof of the Mall. Jill needs to deal with her armor, probably a shower. She's been in combat."

JoAnna broke in, "I have a change of clothes for her, and I need to use the rest room."

Adam said, "Why don't I take the ladies to wash up?"

James said, "Sure..." Adam's on the prowl... and I'm a little too worried about Fred right now to care.

Adam, JoAnna, and Jill left. Gloria shook her head wordlessly saying she'd stay.

2:30 PM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

James watched Jill, and especially JoAnna walk off... Down boy. What's up next? Oh yeah, Bill Gafford and his family. Youngest is Theodore, age 2.

James said to Dave, Wally, and the others, "If you don't need me right now, I ran into another family I want to pull out."

Dave and Dr. Hudson replied with one voice, "No!"

There was an awkward pause as the two waited a moment, then both started talking, then waited another moment. James pointed at Wally and said, "You first."

Dr. Hudson said, "Thank you. As Dave said, the drugs aren't working. I understand why Dr. Hatcher picked the drugs he did, and while they weren't bad choices we know more now..."

Irritated, Dave interrupted with, "James, you need to make another drug run. That's absolute top priority."

James nodded and asked, "Are we sure the drugs aren't working?"

Dave said grimly, "We're sure. No one is better. Everyone is worse. Nine have fevers now, two of them very serious. Laura Darling is the worst." And I want my brother to have the right stuff long before he hits that point.

James said in disbelief, "Nine!? Three hours ago we only had four, and Laura wasn't one of them."

Dave replied, "She got infected later than the others but she just had a baby. She's just burning up. We're keeping it down with ice packs, but... it's bad. Donald and Eric are still doing pretty good though."

James said, "I'm good for one more run, then I'll need to rest again. Where am I going?"

There was an awkward pause and Dr. Hudson replied, "We don't know yet. The internet has reported some successes but we're still tracking down exactly what and then we need to figure out where to send you."

Dave added, "But I want you to be able to drop everything and go to it, which means no leaving for another hour and then needing to rest for two. Rest up now. Oh, and how did this go? Did you find anything other than pretty girls?" Dave said the last with grim humor.

James replied, "Plenty. Alfred Waffenschmidt's..." I love saying that last name, it so doesn't fit him. 'Waffle' means hesitation. "...airport is still functional. It's got a fence that keeps out the zombies. The bad news is there's a community right next door which is seriously infected and there's lots of dead heads running around. The mall is a lost cause too."

Dave nodded, a hair relieved. James had actually gotten some things done. Dave said, "Great. We'll talk about that later. Get some rest."

2:40 PM: Gloria, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

Gloria walked up and asked James wordlessly if she could join him at the table, he nodded the attractive woman to a seat. James had a slice of pizza with a bite out of it in front of him, but he was talking into his cell phone.

James said, "I know."

Pause. "I know."

Pause. "I am sorry. You have the right to be irritated, and I'm sorry your kids are getting hungry."

Pause. "I agree, and I will get to you. But there's fourteen people dying here, and I need to do a drug run. Think of it this way, if you have it, you'll benefit too."

Pause. "Yes, I will. It won't be a problem."

James hung up, sighed, and picked up his pizza.

Gloria asked sympathetically, "Rough conversation?"

James nodded and replied ruefully, "Oh yeah. I just had to explain to Bill Gafford that his rescue has been preempted again. Say... do you know that name? I'm sure I've heard it before but I can't place it."

Gloria thought for a moment then said, "It sounds familiar... but I can't quite place it."

James said, "Me to. I feel sorry for the guy, this is the second time he's been pushed back."

Gloria said, "Don't. You're a brave man, and you're doing everything you can. Saving us and everything. I want to thank you deeply and sincerely." Gloria 'accidently' put her hand on James knee, he didn't protest.

James said, "Tell me about yourself. How did you meet up with JoAnna and Jill and get stuck on the roof? What's their story?"

Gloria lied without blinking, "They're both lesbians. Chris was going through a nasty divorce and hooked up with them..." I saw the way James was looking at JoAnna, let's just hobble the competition right out of the gate.

2:45 PM: JoAnna, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

JoAnna stepped out of the woman's locker room and said to Adam, "Jill will be fine, she's showering. I checked her for bites, she's clean. Not even a scratch. I'll let her clean her armor herself."

Adam replied, "That Armor is impressive. Most of the people in the sick room were bitten during the fight. I was one of the handful who managed to go through the mess downstairs without getting bitten." Looking at JoAnna, it was clear the armor wasn't the only thing he found impressive. Magnificent woman. I wonder what she'd be like in bed?

Jo got a speculative look in her eye and asked, "You fought? And you work here?"

Adam bowed and replied suavely, "Tae Kwon DO, 3rd Dan. As a Doctor I don't want to do much hitting with the hands, but Tae Kwon DO does a lot of kicking... which is really useful now because boots resist bites." That's it... mention you're a Doctor... it's 'impress the girl' time.

JoAnna took a good look at the handsome, muscular doctor and liked what she saw. She asked, "You're a doctor? What's your specialization?"

Adam looked at JoAnna closely then moving even closer he said, "Hold still." Adam reached over and tilted her JoAnna's jaw upward, then to one side as he looked her face intently. JoAnna played along wondering what he was up to. Finally Adam said, "I'd have to see you in your underwear to be sure... but... Sondra Greenstone?"

JoAnna gasped and said, "You're right! That's amazing! How did you know?"

Adam bowed again and said, "Plastic knows plastic, and it's a small world. I worked with Sondra when I was living in California. She's very good, you picked a real professional. The key is to not do too much. You were gorgeous before going under the knife." Adam winked at JoAnna and continued, "Enhance, do not transform."

JoAnna preened with the compliment and said, "She said that too."

Adam replied, "It's not original with either of us. What do you do? Actress? Model?"

Showing some cleavage, JoAnna bowed professionally and said, "Stage Magician. Not the arm candy, the center act."

Adam applauded.

JoAnna added seriously, "And speaking of magic, I have to ask, what's going on? As a professional magician I'm dying to know. The zombies are bad enough, but James? How is any of this possible? I'd say it's an act but... it's not. I can fake super strength, I can't fake leaping for miles."

Adam mentally shrugged and thought, OK, if she wants to be impressed with general medical knowledge rather than plastic, I can do that too. We'll resume singles banter a bit later. Adam replied, "It's a bit of a long story, but since we have the time and you're in the magic trade..."

2:50 PM: Jill, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

Jill stood in the shower and looked at the water rushing down the drain. The blood was gone but she still didn't feel clean. There was a reason for that.

She called out, "Hey, Jo! Anyone!?" No one answered.

Jill turned off the water, dried herself, and walked nude to the mirror. The woman staring back at her looked a little shocky, but healthy. It was time to see if that was a lie.

Jill looked at the bandage on her arm dispassionately. Jo had looked for untreated bite marks, she hadn't thought to look under the bandage. Jill ripped the bandage off without flinching and inspected the teeth marks. Her son Chris' son had done this. It looked infected. Death Sentence.

With anguish Jill remembered what they'd told James, The drugs don't work.

Jill thought, This is unfair. If my skin were armored... if I or the boys were immune to the plague... No. I will NOT let a damn bug beat me down. Life might not be fair, but death is an option. That knife would do it. One thrust to the heart and I'm... and I've left Jo to die, just like Chris left the both of us.

Jill flinched and thought darkly, Chris was weak and didn't loved me. Jack Sr. was stronger, maybe more caring on some level, but still an asshole. Dying well isn't living well. And this is a distraction. Face the present, then the future.

Maybe the Docs can change things, but right now the drugs don't work, and I can't touch anyone or touch anything that someone else will touch. That's the present. I want to live... but there will come a time when suicide isn't the coward's way out. That's the future. But there will be time for the knife later. While we wait for better drugs, let's see if we can't leave Jo in better shape than Chris left me. I'm stronger than she ever was.

Jill cleaned and bandaged her bite wound then got dressed. She hesitated then put on her sword belt and didn't examine why she wanted it close at hand.

Jill left the locker room and mentally snorted as she walked passed Jo and Adam. What a shock, look for Jo and find some man around her. Let me guess... she's pumping him and he's trying to pump her? Not what I need... actually, what do I need? Where could a plane land? No... wrong question. The right question is... um...

Jill asked the first person she met, "Who's your resident news guru?"

Jesus replied, "News? You mean like TV?"

Jill shook her head and said, "Not the TV. I think I'm looking for someone glued to the internet, if she doesn't know the answers herself then she'll know who to ask."

Jesus answered, "Then you need Red Fred... I'll walk you there."

• 2 weeks later...

2:50 PM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

James' flirting with Gloria was interrupted by loud honking and someone yelling, "Hey James! Larry is back! I think he's trying to attract attention!"

James walked over to the patio and looked out, and mentally snorted, Larry's SUV has been in an 'accident' or two in the last few hours. If that's what you call it when you run someone over. Day before yesterday when I ran into this I'd guess he'd gotten drunk and run into a tree. Was it just 7 months ago the guys and me had four of those in one night?

And Larry's waving a white flag. He's probably not trying to be funny. It's not much of a 'rest' but... James said, "I'd better go see what he wants." I really should have given him my cell phone number, that'd make things easier. If he doesn't want to come back here then I'm wasting juice. Of course I didn't really think I'd be seeing him again.

James leaped and overshot the SUV, landing a few meters behind it. James noted some blood stains and mentally increased the number of 'accidents' it'd been in. James asked casually, "Yo Larry, what's up?"

Larry turned around and James regretted his flippant greeting. Larry was breathing hard, the whites of his eyes were showing, and the 'stick' he was holding was a shotgun.

2:50 PM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

James froze, put up his hands, and said, "Easy... easy. Talk to me." It's been a rough few hours for him. How did he drive in this condition? Did he just run over someone?

From inside the car a baby wailed and a female voice said tiredly, "Larry, calm down. We're here. There's a bottle for David in the bag."

Larry put the shotgun on the car and opened one of it's doors. James relaxed. Crisis averted, irrational people and guns was a bad combination. James looked in the damaged car and noticed Larry's wife Sarra was in the drivers seat. The back seats had a baby bucket and a very scared looking boy who might have been eight.

The boy asked quietly, "Are we safe now?"

James answered gently, "Yeah kid, I think so. What's your name?"

The boy replied, "Harry."

Harry which rhymes with Larry. Wonder who picked that name. Kid seems a little shocky too. I've seen this before. Family tragedy. Home burns down. If they're lucky the only thing they just lost is the family house. Odd that Larry is in no shape to drive but his wife is. Didn't see that coming, she just had a kid yesterday. And there's a kid missing, didn't Larry say he had two others? I doubt they were lucky.

James said, "What happened?"

With the weight of the world on him, Harry replied dully, "Satan possessed Grandma and Grandpa. They ate Steve because he and I didn't say our prayers last night. If I hadn't been playing computer games... It's my fault."

James replied gently, "I don't think it works that way kid."

Bottle in hand, Larry said sharply, "Harry, shut up. James, help Sarra."

James turned his attention to Sarra and noticed for the first time she was covered with blood.

• 2 weeks later...

2:50 PM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - Parking Lot & North Tower

James said, "Grief!" and sprang into action. Taking Sarra out of the car he found that the blood was probably hers and she had an inexpertly bandaged wound on her left arm.

Sarra muttered, "Dad took a bite out of me. Harry hid in the garage. He warned us. I had to drive. Larry had to be with the baby. If I've got it then I don't want to get near the children."

James said, "Right. I could redo that bandage but let's bring in some professionals." James scooped up Sarra and leaped with her to the Tower.

James thought, Hell of a woman. Bet the baby doesn't have the plague yet.

James landed on the patio and yelled, "Got another bitten here. Assume she's infected, that bandage needs to be redone." Looking around James said, "Someone go find a doctor." Where are they? Oh SHOOT! I'm carrying one person, I'm supposed to be resting, I'm going to have to go back for the others. That's pure James, act now and think later.

Several nurses moved into action, James saw the back of someone's head as they left and he hoped it was to summon the docs. Someone told him, "Don't put her down, carry her to Dr. Hatcher's office."

3:00 PM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

Accompanied by some nurses, James carried Sarra to the same office where Adam had stitched up Donald so long ago yesterday. A few minutes later Adam and JoAnna walked in. James noted Adam had an odd expression on his face.

James thought, I know that lack of expression. Either he's pissed I interrupted whatever he was doing with JoAnna, and if so damn he works fast, or he thinks Sarra is going to die. Or both, or maybe something else. But this isn't the same Dr.Adam-god's-gift-to-medicine-let-me-show-you I met... yesterday? Yesterday morning, call it a day and a half. And this is a waste of time. He's got it here, let's go see to Larry and children.

James left and went back to the patio. Still there. Sooner or later some zombies will notice they're there, or maybe they have and I just can't see that from this view point. And the other docs haven't shown up yet with new marching orders. Hurry up guys. Clock is ticking.

James launched himself into the air and landed a few car lengths away from Larry. Larry was sitting down on the ground with his head in his hands. James had seen beaten dogs with more gumption in them. Harry was holding the baby. Larry looked up when James walked over and James said, "Doc Hatcher is on her. He's got great hands for this sort of thing, I watched him stitch up several people yesterday."

Larry cut to the chase saying, "And do they have more of those drugs you brought in? Or do they know that it's not spread by bite?"

James hesitated then replied, "It is, and they're not sure. They still have drugs, I brought in a ton, but most of the people aren't responding. There's a range. Some are worse, some are just no better. That's the bad news, the good news is the docs think someone found another cure. They're still gathering information, thank god for the internet, right?"

With more despair than hope Larry replied, "Yeah, thank god for the internet. What now?"

James wondered, What am I, his wife? Didn't he do the talking between the two of them last time we met? Or had she given the orders before I showed up? Or did he just kill a close member of his family and he's still in shock.

James said, "Let's take you, your two sons, and your gear on up. We have pizza and everything. You'll be fine."

With some trouble James picked up everyone all at once and leaped back to the patio. Then he went to go take a cat nap and wait for the doctors.

5:00 PM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

James woke up and thought, Where am... oh yeah. Meeting room next to the lounge. Carpet feels nice. Don't really need the pillow and blanket. I feel... James stomach rumbled ...hungry. There's a pizza with my name on it somewhere close by.

James got to his feet. Recharged too. Not at peak but lots better. Note to self, a two hour nap helps a lot.

James walked out to the pizza area and found Jill there arranging extra meat on a slice. James asked, "Extra meat? Where did that come from?"

Jill looked up and replied, "That new kid Harry was picking his off and I volunteered to take it. I need lots of protein..."

James finished for her, "...to keep the muscles up. I know, I did the body building circuit for a while."

Jill looked at James' muscles pointedly and asked, "So they're yours? I mean, they're not part of going all super-hero-ish?"

James filled a paper plate as he replied, "They are and they aren't. I looked exactly like this two years ago, but I was down from my peak weight. Well, this plus a few scars and a tattoo which vanished with the new skin."

As James put his plate into the microwave, Jill said, "Sounds like you were pretty serious, like on the circuit. Tattoo?" A tattoo was very unusual for someone doing the bodybuilding circuit.

James got his pizza out and answered, "Week after I left the circuit I got a tribal as a way of saying that I was never going back." James motioned Jill to a table and added, "But enough about me. What do you know?" James motioned to the TV in the next room and asked, "Any new news in the last couple of hours?"

Jill grimaced and said, "The government officially has it well under control, but all the news is getting worse. I tried to corner Red Fred but three doctors beat me to it. I played fly on a wall and watched them for an hour."

James said, "From your tone I gather you didn't learn anything?"

Jill sighed. She wasn't by nature a patient or subtle person, and after waiting for Fred she almost wished she could unlearn what she'd found out. Almost. Grim knowledge was better than ignorance.

Jill replied, "The Doctors spent an hour translating a Russian cure into English. Unfortunately they found Dr. Hatcher had gotten it."

James asked, "The expensive one?"

Jill answered, "I'm not sure. I got to see the invoice for the five, not that it helped much. Let's see, other than that, no one is any better. I think the Docs are chasing rumors, not facts. Worse, it's what they think too."

James nodded. Sunset was really soon, the Docs really should have sent him out before now. He asked, "How's Sarra?"

Jill said, "Bad. As in bad-fervor bad. There's one or two who are worse, but she'll probably go first."

James inhaled sharply. The bad news kept piling on. James said, "Well, after I finish eating I'll get Bill Gafford and his family."

Jill said, "James... tell me about the zombies. What do I need to know about them? I've heard a lot, but if I'm missing any details I want to hear about it."

James looked at his pizza then shrugged. It looked like they were going to talk shop, but that was ok. James replied, "They're not human. Just some...thing walking around in a corpse. They're infectious, but in some ways they're less dangerous than an infected person since they're so obvious about it. An infected person can spread it by accident without knowing they have a problem."

Jill gulped and interrupted with, "You're immune, right?"

James nodded and said, "We think so. I've been exposed, I guess I might come down with it in a few days or something. But if I had it you'd think I would have already infected some people who'd show it quicker."

Jill relaxed and James continued, "They're dumb, they don't appear to plan or reason. They just walk towards the nearest living creature and attack. They don't feel pain. They don't use most of the old internal organs other than the brain. They're basically a walking plant with teeth. We think they don't see with their eyes. They probably feel heat or something."

James chuckled a bit at a fond memory and said, "I've seen how things look through a IR video camera. Seeing heat is pretty cool, depending on what they're doing they might be able to see through walls for a bit..."

James paused then said quietly, "Oh. Crap."

Jill asked, "What's wrong?"

James said with mortified feeling, "The Springs! Oh! Crap!"

Jill asked again, "The Springs? What's going on?"

James replied, "The Springs! That's the nursing home where all this started. Don got bit and Captain Ron ordered us to take him here."

Jill looked puzzled and waited for the explanation to make sense.

James added, "I went back there and it was covered with zombies. All the old people converted right after we left. They were just hanging around waiting for people to walk in. But zombies aren't smart enough to do that. They were all inside clustered around a door because they could sense living people on the other side! Someone from the crew was still alive!"

5:00 PM: Jillian Johnson, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

James rushed into action. Jill watched as he gathered up her his sword, a flashlight, then with one last piece of pizza he was out the door and quickly became a small dot in the distance.

Jill considered, There he goes. Fireman reflexes. So... what now? The things that really need doing are either done or have to be done by others. The barricades are solid. Someone dropped a Coke machine in front of the door to the lobby. Elevators are locked open. Nothing I could do or say would speed up the doctors' efforts.

That leaves things that should be done. I'll wait a while before trying Fred again. Jo has been hanging out with Adam, I should put an end to that. We have phones, I could...

...phone Mom and Dad. Tell them they were right. Pass. I don't feel like crying or shouting.

...phone Chris' relations. Tell them...

The TV is right here. I guess I wait, and maybe learn something.

5:15 PM: James DeBeer, Above Fort Worth Texas

James fumed, Idiot. Idiot! Idiot! I've had all the facts in front of me for hours. I should have figured this out at the time, or at the very least during the docs' grand medical review. What was I thinking!

Last time I was at the Springs I was... interrupted by getting drugs for Don and the rest. And chased off by zombies. And the axes didn't work. During the medical review on how the zombies work that whole airplane thing came up. It's not like you've been sitting on your ass. You saved the babies, other people, got food for everyone.

That sounds like an excuse, not an explanation. Firemen on MY CREW might have gotten killed because I didn't see what was clearly in front of me.

Maybe not. Maybe they were already bitten. There's no cure.

There's no cure YET.

Yet there's no cure.

Don has it. Dito Eric. Maybe Fred too. Dave said Mary said Mom and Janet were bitten. Mary and the others went to that hospital.

James frowned and flinched away from that thought, then spent a few minutes letting himself think in circles about the Springs.

"Now" is always the most important moment. I forget who said that. Remember Captain Ron's training about not letting the job rip you up too. Even if I made some mistakes, the important thing is I'm going to fix them.

And it looks like I'm going to overshoot the Springs. Show time.

5:15 PM: James DeBeer, Above Fort Worth Texas

James overshot the Springs and landed at the base of the hill it was on. Interesting. I didn't fall over. With this hill's slope and the direction I was moving, I should have. And I smell deer, and zombie.

James heard a moan and saw a zombie further down the hill dressed in night clothes. James drew his sword, tensed, and waited for it to attack. After watching it struggle with the slope several moments James snorted and enjoyed the moment.

Those clothes, you were from the Springs. Fell down and couldn't get up did we? I could sit down here and it'd be dark before it got to me. Speaking of which, this is wasting time.

James stepped forward. The zombie reached for him without trying to block James sword stroke. James struck deep into it's prominent Adam's apple, almost cutting the zombie's head off. He turned away to walk up the hill when it moaned again behind him. James frowned and investigated.

It's still alive? I severed it's spine, that's not a mortal wound? It can still try to bite? Lovely. A cut spine means it can't move, but only below the cut. Decapitation means you just have a zombie head. Fine. Lay there and suffer you horrid fungus.

James took three steps up the hill and stopped. James thought a moment, the sighed and went back. With the tip of his sword he pierced the creature's brain, putting it out of it's misery.

5:15 PM: James DeBeer, The Springs, Fort Worth Texas

James climbed to the top of the hill grumbling to himself. That was a waste of time and much better than it deserved.

That one hadn't killed anyone. They're sloppy eaters and it didn't have blood on it. Besides, hunter's etiquette is you don't leave injured animals.

It's not an animal. They don't feel pain.

If you did that because you want to feel better, then you need to toughen up. If you wanted to leave it there because you enjoy the thought of it suffering, then that's the first step on a dark path.

And you're trying to distract yourself from whatever you're going to find here. That's stupid, it's a dangerous world even without letting yourself get distracted.

At the top of the hill was a wooden fence with a mowed path around it. An open gate led in, James assumed that was how the zombie got out. James went in and found The Springs' 'back yard'. It had a well kept lawn, gazebo, and tree with a bird feeder. The wooden fence ended at the brick wall that was the rear of the Springs. A double glass door led in.

Sword in hand, James pushed open one of the doors and looked down the other end of one of the long corridors filled with doors he'd seen before. A few zombies wandered around and immediately noticed him and started shambling forward.

James struck down the first with almost contemptuous ease. The second and third fell the same way.

James thought, That was easy! If you've got the right tools, everything falls into place. Now... what's wrong with this picture?

James listened for a moment and heard fists pounding on doors. Those... can't be people. If they were the zombies in the hallway would have been clustered around... Shoot. Just like they're not doing now. They were all way down there, and now they're not and the door is open. I'm too late.

Soul a bit numb, James walked down the hallway. He carefully looked away from the occasional splotches on the floor that used be his friends and noticed a few doors had been broken down from the inside.

Maybe, maybe they found another way out. Like up onto the roof? Could that be where the zombies went? They followed whoever made it out? Maybe there's hope here after all.

The door at the end of the hallway led to a room full of file cabinets. The ceiling looked solid and there was a "Read Me" note on a folder. James picked it up.

Click to reveal..
Samuel Owens Jackson: Will and Testament.

It's 8:30 AM on Tuesday, November 14th 2006. Being of sound mind and gravely endangered body, I declare this to be my last (and first) Will and Testament.

With the exception of the following I leave all my worldly possessions to my loving wife Debra Jackson. I'm sorry we followed my life plan and not yours. If there's an insurance settlement I suggest you go back to school. You're also in charge of carrying out this will.

To my brother Edwin Jackson I leave his favorite painting by our dead grandmother, the big one with the evergreens which is currently in my office at home. I know that you'd wanted it after she died.

To my sister Martha I leave grand-dad's collection of medical tools from his practice and your choice of three of those artistic mugs you like.

To my various cousins and any other relatives I leave nothing.

My current situation:

I'm trapped in the records room at The Springs. I don't know what to call the creatures waiting outside the door other than 'zombies'. One of them was shot four times in the chest by the police more than a day ago. Another had her arm axed off this morning hours ago but hasn't bled to death yet. I say 'axed' because I can see the axe head in her chest. These are either the living dead or something else just as bad. I watched them kill several people yesterday. I don't have any weapons or salt or even fire with which to fight them.

I skipped breakfast to respond to the fire alarm yesterday. That means my last full meal was Sunday night, that was about 39 hours ago. There's no water available in this room, I'll be dead pretty soon anyway if I don't try to make a break for it. After I'm done writing this I'm going to open that door and try to force my way past them. If I can make it past them then I know I can outrun them.

Debra, I love you.

5:15 PM: James DeBeer, The Springs, Fort Worth Texas

A little heart broke at his failure, James thought, Samuel Owens Jackson. He was that black administrator who opened the door for us. He seemed harried but he might have been a nice guy. Probably was. Maybe he made it out?

James looked at the floor, there was a big splotch of rust colored jelly with fragments of things he didn't feel like identifying.

No. He didn't. It would have been iffy for me. He saw the ax head I left in that zombie old woman. Sounds like he made his move about a half hour after I left. So I could have saved him.

You left to get the drugs.

The drugs that don't work. If I'd stayed...

No sword then. No stocks of food either. Black fire knife burns juice. To get him out you'd need to kill twenty or thirty zombies, retreat, rest for a few hours, then come back and do the same thing again, and then yet again. Doing that without food when everyone at the hospital is depending on you. Shoot, he could have been saved, but letting down Don and Eric by not going for the drugs?

Especially with not knowing that he was in here. With perfect knowledge...

With perfect knowledge I'd lead them to that hill out back and let them fall over. Shoot. That would have worked.

James looked at the splotch on the ground again.

With perfect knowledge he could have waited 7 more hours and I'd have been throwing them down the hill 2 hours ago. Something to keep in mind... I didn't set the fire I didn't kill or eat this man.

So, what now? He left his phone number on his will, should I give Debra a call?

5:20 PM: James DeBeer, The Springs, Fort Worth Texas

James frowned at the will. Telling relatives we couldn't save someone hasn't been part of my job till now. If I call her, what do I say? Sorry, your husband is dead, I could have saved him but I didn't take the time? But if I do nothing then she's probably going to wait home for him to come back, and that's a fatal move.

A few rooms down a zombie managed to partially break through it's door. James took advantage of the distraction and still holding the papers, walked towards the creature and stabbed it in the head while it was still struggling to get through the door.

James thought, And now you're dead. More dead. Whatever. And I'm almost out of daylight and the kitchen is right there. I'm tired or pizza. Let's see what's there, bag it, and head back. I'll take the will with me and figure it out later.

James walked into the kitchen then put whatever he could find into a double garbage bag. Jackpot. Fruit. Air plane style packets of peanuts. Assorted cans. Too much stuff here, the sack will break. I guess I could use the garbage can itself, would that be too unsanitary? Wait, duh, no it won't. Strength is magic, stuff doesn't fall apart because it's too heavy.

This feels wrong. Half the crew died right here, and I'm betraying their memory by becoming a thief. Right, I'm stealing food from the guys who killed them. Somehow I think they'd approve.

Somewhat reassured, James finished gathering food and walked out the front door.

5:35 PM: James DeBeer, The Springs, Fort Worth Texas

James looked around and considered, Sun's down but it's still bright enough that you'd think it was around. That will change real quick. Still darn few zombies compared to this morning. Where the heck did they go and why? That hill would be a good spot to look around from. Let's not spare the juice, I'm not going to be doing a lot after dark anyway, it's too dangerous.

James leaped to the 'hill' and looked around, then got out his binoculars to make sure. James saw house after house with broken windows, doors, or a zombie pounding on the front door.

Maybe some zombies are smarter than others and they knew to go looking. Or maybe someone else walked in like I did then ran down there. Whatever, they're in the suburb. They spread out, there's just a few per house. Some houses don't have any... no. The houses which don't have any zombies won't have people inside. That guy who packed up his family this morning had the right idea.

I can see a dozen houses with only one or two zombies outside. People locked the doors and made barricades. This time I KNOW there's someone inside and I'm not rushed with a drug run. I'm also right here and not a half mile in the air and unable to change my direction.

My duty is to go down and save people. I should just leave the food here and...

...stay there until twilight ends and fight zombies in the dark.

What's the worse that could happen? I'm not low on juice. Worse case is...

...I get some infected person's sweat or something in the food and contaminate the hospital. Shoot. And there's one of me and this is too big a job. I really need the rest of the team.

OK, The zombies aren't exactly smart or strong and this isn't like the guy stuck in the file cabinet room. These people still have access to food and water. They'll keep for a few hours, or they're already infected, and I can't do anything about that anyway. What we really need are lots of firearms.

James looked to the West and mentally added, And Daylight. I feel like shit running away, but... maybe with enough people and enough guns we'll start to clean this out.

James looked again at the sun which had set and leaped away.

5:45 PM: James DeBeer, Over Fort Worth Texas

*Bring*. James started to reach for his cell phone and mentally swore. SHOOT!!! That could be Mary or Dad or one of the others and I don't have a hand free! Darn it!

Calm down James. It might also be Dave or Adam trying to find out where you are. If they have another drug run in mind you'll want to go back for a map anyway. Keep the food, get back to the tower, you'll get your hands free then.

James' phone stopped ringing, then after a pause it made the 'beep' that meant it'd taken down a message. Less than a minute latter it started ringing again.

James landed close to the hospital, then with one last leap finally made it to the outdoor patio just as his phone cut off again. James stepped inside and called out, "I'm back and I brought presents!" I don't see Dave or anyone else waiting to ambush me. I'm going to take that as a good sign.

People moved to see what he was up to and James added, "It's all food and all goes next to the pizzas." Leaving others to sort it all out, James went back outside and checked his cell phone.

Please... Please... One number called twice. It's local. All of my family would have local cell phone numbers but... it's not them. I don't know it and neither does my cell phone.

Bracing himself for disappointment, James called the number back.

The phone was picked up on the first ring and an older-womanish voice James didn't recognize said, "James? Is James there?"

James said cautiously, "Speaking. Who is this?"

The voice replied, "Sorry, this is Eleanor Gagnon. You don't know me. I got your name from Willian Gafford, he's an employee of mine. Do you have a pen handy?"

Not sure where this was going, James got out the blue pen Samuel Jackson had used to write his will and answered, "Yes Ma'am."

Eleanor said, "Good. My mother is in an apartment in Parkside at So.7, that's in Arlington Heights. Building 102, room 32, that's on the 3rd floor. It's a gated community, building 102 is just to the left of the main entrance sign. If you're standing at the front gate looking in it's not the far left but the next one to the right."

Eleanor paused for breath then added, "What I need you to do is to go get her. She's going to die without intervention and the police aren't answering the phone. I know you can do what you can do. Now clearly you're a very busy man and since time is money, I fully expect to compensate you for your efforts."

• 2 weeks later...

5:45 PM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

Unsure of where to go with this, James replied, "Um...."

Parkside at So.7 in Arlington Heights. That's serious money. Eleanor Gagnon is... I think old-money Texas oil. Owns a newspaper and/or a few other companies. Or something like that. Not exactly the circles I move in.

Tread softly here, James. She'd make a good ally, but a much better enemy. Is it really fair to take money to save someone first? That's illegal if you're on the job... but I'm not really on the job any more am I?

James asked cautiously, "What did you have in mind?"

Eleanor replied, "I was thinking 25 thousand dollars and you'd take her to my place on the edge of town. I'm calling from there right now."

James gulped. $25 thousand dollars? Good grief, that's more than my life savings. For maybe a hour or two's work? Is this illegal... no. No, it's not. And it's something I could do pretty easily. Bill Gafford might be unhappy he's been bumped back again but it just pushes him to right before lunch...

...really, why not?

James said, "Actually... sure. I'm up for that. Only thing is with the sun down it's too dangerous to go right now, even for me. This will have to wait for the morning."

There was an unhappy pause while Eleanor digested this but she replied, "Agreed. I'll let her know you're coming."

James finalized details then hung up and thought, First bit of good news all day.

Archived