World of Darkness: Attrition - The Lost Besieged (FIN)

Jeremy

It was nighttime at LA Amphora. Everything was in full swing, and Jeremy was serving with cheer. Of course, he always did, and the average patron here didn't see anything different. Only, the average patron saw the outside. Inside, some very foreign emotions to the Spring Court member was churning inside. Fear and worry.

Granted Norton had gotten too fond of showing his mien off to intimidate thugs, but how could someone have known he was a changeling? Or rather how could they know?

He had heard of the contents of note left at Norton's bloody stained bed. It's warning made him shiver as he thought about it.

Click to reveal..

You, who call yourselves the Lost, souls perverted by demons, be warned.

We servants of the Lord shall hunt you down.

Servants of the otherworldly demons, your masks shall not hide you.

If these hunters threatened the freehold... Well, they all were in peril. There's gotta be some way to find and deal with these folks.

It was a bad day and night. There had been Gwen and he felt bad about that, but angry too. Erika had not been available, so comfort in that zone was out. The Mekhet wandered through the city, slowly circling back toward campus and Gwen. Hurting her was ... was something he had not been sure he could do. It was almost like stepping out of himself. It was like doing to others what had been done to him - making someone look small. It fact, that realization scared the shit out of him. He didn't want to become that kind of person.

Running away from his darker self, Adrian made his way into the Amphora, through the crowds and up to the bar. He needed some camoflauge. A whiskey sour would do. He made the order, scanning about the place, looking for someone of interest, and being scoped out in turn. He was easy on the eyes, if not actually stunning.

The drink came and he turned around. It was Jeremy. Adrian hoped the Changeling wouldn't be giving him a hard time tonight.

Jeremy brought the drink to another customer and- Adrian. Well. The vampire had shown up again. A flash of inspiration came to Jeremy. If the guy had fighting skills, or friends who did, likely, and could be recruited to find and take out the killers of Norton, then... Voila!

He didn't expect difficulty in cutting some deal with Adrian. Of course, the threat of assassins going after supernaturals could be enough for the vampire. Time to set up a meeting.

"Hey. Haven't seen you for a bit."

"Well you kind of gave me the impression that my persence might not be appreciated. At least when I'm working. Since I don't often hang out here and I don't expect to see someone I ... umm ... spend time with, I figured I would come here. Dance a little, lose myself in the crowd, you know."

He takes the drink and looks around.

"So, how's business? Anyone else like me come around?"

What the hell?

This wasn't what he expected, but the young vampire held his countance well. He gave no sign of hearing but instead left his drink at the bar and moved off to joining the dancing. For the next hour, he gave evey indication of being an predator on the hunt, a kindred doing what kindred loved to do.

With only a few minutes to spare, Adrian departed his young lady companion and excused himself for a few minutes. He left the club, hand stamp clearly in evidence.

"I've got to get something from my car," he told the bouncer then he wandered off. With no one paying to much attention to him, Adrian slipped into the alley. He pulled out his pistols in the dark and quickly put on their silencers. It paid to be prepared. Adrian slipped his 9mm's back into their holsters and went to stand by the employee's side entrance. The smell was less than enticing, but he'd been in worse places. He checked his watch and counted down the last thirty seconds.

What in could this be all about ... and am I too curious for my own good?

Jeremy stepped out, to see Adrian standing waiting for him. Perfect. He didn't chicken out. Keeping his face grave, Jeremy took a breath.

"Before I get started, just answer one question. Can you do some fighting, or have friends who can? I don't think you won't, but I just want to be sure."

"Yes, I can fight, and yes I know someone who can fight, and should be available. Now, by fighting, do you mean giving someone a good threatening, or is the possibility of killing involved? I'm afraid I'm a bit better at the killing part. Most people don't treat me like a threat until it's too late."

"What motivates me is a cause. This is clearly something your club bouncers won't handle, or can't. If it was a can't, the police would be involved, so this is somethign more to do with you. Who's giving you trouble?"

Jeremy shook his head. "It's not me per say, and the police are involved. It's that... it involves the kind of affairs that you and I share, if you get my meaning."

He took a breath before continuing. "I knew this guy, Dash Norton in the way we local changeling knew each other at minimum. As in fairly aquainted, as the freehold is too small for anything other interpersonal relationship. Dash liked to slap down thugs and hoodlums for their cash and for the Glamour he could get. A few days ago, he chose to reveal his mien briefly to intimidate this large group. He admitted this to me at the bar a few hours afterwards when he came by."

"The next day, he was murdered in his apartment. One of us, his girlfriend, had gone to see him and found the door smashed open, the place ransacked. The thing is, she found this note at his side. In general, it described us as demons, and said we would be hunted down. The police didn't receive this note, of course, but they found that the bullet was fired from a sniper rifle. The experts at the Autumn Court say this looks like the work of so-called 'Hunters', people who go after supernatural beings."

"The freehold is looking into this. What I want is your promise that if the freehold or you happens to find these Hunters, to go after them and kill them. Okay? We're all at risk you know."

Adrian ran his hands through his hair and looked around. He looked up at Jeremy.

"Hunters? Some people had a run in with some Hunters a few months back. I don't know what they ran down, but it's worth looking into. Your buddy Dash is the first one I've heard dying from them, but I my kind doesn't keep in contact as often as yours might."

"I'll call some poeple and look into it. This matter concerns us all. I would watch your back and watch his girlfriends. They are not above killing one publically in order to flush several of us out."

"Now I need to know what can you do to help. I'm an investigator. A buddy of mine knows the streets and another knows about the law. Hmmm ..."

"Were is this buddies apartment, and did he say were he pulled the reveal at? Give me a few lead to hunt down these people and find their home ground."

I might even call in Sam. She can track down anybody and that could be real useful. No Moss I defintely need to call for back up. Ariel could bring me up to date if there is anything we might know about the Hunters. Sarah ... with Declan gone it may be wise just to keep her in the loop.

Jeremy nodded. "That serious huh? Dash lived at 882 Westwood Boulevard. Dash didn't say where he made that mistake, unfortunately. The apartment has been gone over by the police full-sweep, so I won't know what you can dig up. If you need anything from me, well, I've got some Changeling magic for healing and something that... could make folks more talkative if need be."

Adrian pulls out a notepad from his coat pocket and a pen. He writes down the address then the abbreviations:

J- Red Cross plus T-Serum.

"Okay, I'll see about checking the crime scene for stuff. I may bring in a human not in the know, but she's got a knack for digging shit up. There is also No Moss. He may be able to back track Dash and give us some more clues. Then, if we are real lucky they are watching the place to see who comes by. Then we can track them. Lastly, I'll need to talk with the girl. I take it the police haven't questioned her. She might have some insights."

He looked up at the Changeling expectantly.

"Melissa, got it. Let me call some people and I'll be in touch soon. Good night."

This night had turned out much better than it had started. He needed to be nicer to Gwen, but he had to figure out how without letting her off the hook for giving up his haven. Still ... now he was really feeling guilty.

There had been enough time mooning in front of Jeremy and it was a little embarrassing. He nodded once and then yanked on the fibers of night around him and ... vanished. Jeremy looking back and forth in the alleyway confirmed the trick had worked.

Someone had put a bullet in Dash Norton and he was going to find out who was responsible. If he was going to cross a police line, he knew the person he wanted to bring with him over to his shadier side of the law. Maybe it would make her question other things less.

Archived