World of Darkness: Attrition - Vinyl Haze

z-August Turner

August was nervous. She'd always heard it was a bad idea to hook up with guys from the internet, but Graham had seemed so nice. Of course, she'd heard that a lot of people had seemed nice until they started cutting into you...

She shouldn't be so suspicious of everyone. Pressing her lipsticked lips together, she considered whether she could not be suspicious. Finally, she just swore to be more open. Meeting Graham would be a good start.

She heard whispers from an empty alley and began to move faster.

Fortunately, the coffee shop was ahead, and with a toss of her black hair, she entered. Pausing, she looked around the room for the guy in flannel and jeans. After the joking in the chat room, she'd worn a knee-length vinyl skirt, hoping he'd be amused by the fairly tame outfit. Or he may think it was dumb. Her shirt was a simple sleeveless blue blouse, nice but not too nice.

Spotting a guy that looked right, she headed over to the table. "Graham, is that you?" She hoped he was; otherwise, she might have just embarrassed herself.

Graham looks up and smiles at the lady standing in front of him, "August, I presume. Looks like you decided to go with vinyl, after all. Please, take a seat. So, how long have you been in this fair city?" He takes a careful sip from a mug of coffee that looks unadulterated with milk. It smells heavenly, though. He sighs contentedly, "Ever had Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee? If not, I'll get you a cup. It's beyond good."

"Sure," August said with a smile. "It does smell good." She let him fetch her a cup, then answered, "I've been here most of my life. My dad was in the biz, too, so it's in my blood." She cradled her mug and took a sip, then nodded. "Nice. Anyway, I grew up here."

She smiled and asked, "What about you?"

"Spent almost all my life in the L.A. Area. I've managed to get by with only minor brushes with the film industry. I'm pretty sure that i've got the chops to do set design work, though. So, what do you do for fun other than meet strange men from the internet?" Graham smiles and takes a big sip from his mug as he focuses his concentration on his sight and pours some of his magical energy into it.

Click to reveal..
Casting Supernal vision: 3 successes. Invisible Castle: 4d10: 9,2,8,9

He then watches August carefully for her response.

Her aura was completely normal; she was a white-breaded mortal. "Well," she said, a little unnerved by the intensity of his gaze. "I like going to the beach, partying, hiking and of course working as an actress. I've worked behind the camera, too - my dad... he was a Site Manager for various studios and movies. So I was able to get in that way, and then ease around to the front of the camera."

She took her own sip, and asked, "What do you do when not building things or meeting strange women from the internet."

• 3 weeks later...

"I people-watch, I eat junk food, and I watch movies." Graham smiles and sips at his mug of coffee. "I also do charity work. But that's more building. I work occasionally for Habitat for Humanity." His gaze returns to a more normal level and he looks down into the mug, blinking rapidly.

That was kind of an intense look, August thought, stories of meeting sickos from the internet bouncing around in her head. "Wow, Habitat for Humanity... that's awesome," she said, smiling. "I'm sure that the people you help appreciate what you do."

She sounded a bit inane she knew, but this was typical Hollywood small talk. Hopefully, if he was interested in something nefarious, she could bore him off. "Speaking of, what kind of work do you do? I'll need to know if I'm going to get you a job." She flashed him a wide grin.

Archived