World of Darkness: Attrition - The Fourth Test: Purity [Fin]

Sarah Dead-Wolf

Lunacy was all about the streets of L.A. for the briefest of moments as the mammoth Swara-Beast leapt and crashed through blocked alley ways. A majority of the people you caught sight of the massive creature had their minds fogged over with nothing but a blurr of fur and a faded image of a large, hungry stray.

The three wolves that dashed off after her however were met a few confused looks from those who caught sight of them as it seemed awfully strange that a pack of wolves would be spending anytime enjoying the urban night life around Los Angeles, especially considering they were an endangered species.

They moved so fast through the public places however they had little time to notice if anyone had taken sight of them; they were on a mission. The trail was not difficult to follow and it led the 'pack' right back to where it all started... the abandoned church.

Their movements were cautious but their smaller forms allowed them to easily slink about in the shadows out of sight. It wasn't long before the three keen hunters were upon the inner sanctum of her 'lair', the large Fellowship Hall that had been torn to shreds with writing in blood all upon the walls.

[[[Refer to the post above for information on the Fellowship Halls writing and contents.]]]

The trail of blood was thick enough that even a blind pup with a head cold could have followed it on a rainy day. When the whimper of pain echoed through the hall each of their ears perked up to take notice.In the northern cloister of the chamber a broken, naked teen who may have once been quite lovely was slowly trying to climb the steps up to the choir stage.

Her body, wracked with pain, convulsed with every movement. Her body was deathly thin and emaciated to the point where no normal human could have survived under such circumstances. Upon her back were the painful reminders of Sarah's feral bloodlust. While bone had mended, the flesh had not. Her shoulder blades and spine laid exposed to the elements as bloody bone and sinew twitched and moved as she continued her attempt to climb and 'rest' within her 'home'. As a gentle, air circulating, breeze swept through the chamber she wept silently as the air was like acid upon her exposed injuries.

This was the mighty 'Swara-Beast', broken, dying, and alone...

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Padding wolf paws became boots as Amber shifted up into Dalu, her larger-than-human form looming over the fragile woman. Strong hands stopped Swara's movements, but remained gentle as Amber examined her wounds. She was evaluating her chances of survival if she got medical care.

Click to reveal..
Intelligence+Medicine+WP roll: 4 sux

Ariel bounded up behind Amber and circled to the side. Her heart nearly burst with sorrow to see the young girl in that horrifying state. Was it really kinder to save her?

While there's life, there's hope, she decided, and let Amber do her thing. She stayed in her wolf shape, just in case something went catastrophically wrong.

Moss also shifted up into Dalu form, watching warily from the back. His right hand unconsciously clenching and opening out to a claw shape repeatedly.

"I don't know how we are going to be able to get that spirit out of her. It's certainly beyond any rituals I currently know."

She could feel them above her; the hunters, the predators. Ever word they spoke was laced with an under laying growl that caused her stomach to knot and fear to well up within her. Her emaciated jaw quivered as terror's finger tips tickled thier way up her spine before gripping tightly around her ribs.

There was no fight left within her though, her body was broken and whatever demon possessed her soul had been finding her one hell of a tough thrall to break. Even at the point of death, still she refused to allow the darkness to over take her completely.

"K-kill..." she wheezed, a smattering of blood spattered where she gazed at the floor. "... me. P-please..." Every word she fought for through an inflamed esophagus that had regurgitated the flesh of humanity more times that the gathered 'pack' dared count. "En...d... it... God... for...give... me... end it..."

"Sorry, Swara Ann, I don't believe in God," Amber said softly, tilting her head to meet the weakened gaze of her kin of the spirit. "But I do believe that you are strong, and that you can survive this. And I believe that redemption is possible. So hang on, we're getting you help."

If her Ithaeur said it was a spirit, and that he couldn't get rid of it, then that was the way it was. Time for the big guns. "One of you has Lucian Hunt's number, right? Call him, ask him really nicely to get his pretty ass over here. I need the other one of you to get medical supplies. It's what we did for Declan, Ariel, just the same, pretty much." She tried to infuse confidence into her voice, both for her 'pack' and Swara Ann.

In her halting First Tongue, Ariel exclaimed, "In my metal monster!" She shifted down to a normal wolf's shape, and bounded out of the room, dashing pell mell for her car, where a first aid kit waited.

Once there she took a look around, sniffed, and when the coast was clear she shifted to a human, got in and drove over to meet back up with Amber, Moss and Swara; first aid kit in her hand.

Moss shrugs and pulls his mobile out of his pocket as he shifts back down to human form. As he looks up the number and starts to dial he comments to Amber, "I guess he would want to know what happend to Sarah, what do you think?"

After a number of rings it is finally answered, "Lucien, sorry to disturb you, it's No Moss. I believe Sarach mentioned that we might need your help with Swara? We'll we've got her. Could you come down to the abandoned church on [directions], it's pretty urgent."

"So I see." A charming voice replied eloquently. "You four certainly have been busy. Outside, behind Ariel's car as a matter of fact, is my assistant, Rosalind, in a van. She'll help you bring the girl and Sarah back here. I believe I may have a way of helping her, it's a long shot, but I have it on good authority that just might work."

"Time is short." He said lastly.

"No problem Hunt, we'll be on our way now." Disconnecting he turns back to Amber, "Hunt's got a pickup van just behind Ariels car, he wants us to get Swara and Sarah into it ASAP so we can get them back to his place to work on her."

He turns and starts heading for the door, "I'll go brief this Rosalind that we need to stop off to get Sarah on the way." He stops and looks back at Amber, "Unless you want to do it?"

Amber shook her head. "Let's get Swara Ann to Lucien, on the theory that we need to alleviate her suffering immediately. Ariel and I will go retrieve Sarah and join you at Lucien's." There was a deep itch between her shoulder blades to make sure everyone, even the Dead Wolf, was safe. Also, Lucien's desire to help might evaporate without knowing his 'girlfriend' was safe.

About an hour later...

Lucien Hunt's Home, 2:47am

The Hunt 'mansion' was in total chaos as the assembled supernaturals tried to come to grips with the nights events, the weight of one of their own falling, and the gravity of seeing exactly what it looks like when one of the Forsaken truly became forsaken.

Within the basement the 'pack' assisted the Warlock in securing her, on her stomach, to a large rectangular wooden crate that he'd prepared. It seemed comfortable enough, padded with a pillow even except for the brackets bolted to the floor that connected to heavy chain and shackles to clasp her wrists and ankles. Lucien claimed that he had it on good authority that not ever her Garou form could shatter the bindings, but it didn't do much alleviate any concern.

He had Sarah cleaned up and taken to his room upstairs where the door was bolted and code locked -a feature he had installed after they started dating to ensure no one could enter his lightless room as she slept- she'd be safe, but he hardly trusted anyone, even her family, while she was vulnerable.

After all was settled the 'pack' was asked to gather in the dining area and soon after they entered Rosalind entered pushing a food cart with a variety of entrees. Although not in 'uniform' she still looked quite stunning in tight jeans and a fitted brown t-shirt which only served to add to the misery of poor No-Moss who seemed to be constantly surrounded by the plethora of the worlds most gorgeous women ever since he arrived in L.A..

"Master Hunt recommends everyone take some time to eat as there is nothing we can do at the moment but wait." She stated with the thick columbian accent. "He says you'll need your strength and will be joining all of you very shorty, please pardon his absence."

She turned to leave and they all took notice of the chrome barretta tucked in her pants at center of her back. Calmly enough she exited the room, waiting till she was far from their sight before breathing a sigh of relief. Dealing with people who prided themselves on their ability to shift into killing machines of addled rage didn't settle well with her... but then, she didn't know very many werewolves.

"Do you have any idea what those things are capable of?" She spat through quieted whisper.

"People, Rosalind." Lucien was quick to correct her as she walked with him down the hall to the dining area. "They are no more 'things' than you or I. They are each an individual, and we should respect them as they respect us." His reply was casual and her bit of panic didn't seem to unnerve him any, she was a bit new to the game of 'Werewolves & Warlocks' after all.

"I don't think they respect you very much at all." She added with a not of concern.

"As I said, we should respect them as they respect us." The Mastigos grinned, getting a straight answer from him lately was nearly impossible as he grew to understand the inner workings of Arcana's greater secrets.

Ten steps later the double doors opened and he stepped through. Lucien Hunt, gods gift to... well, everything to hear him put it, stepped into the room and smiled politely to his guests. "My apologies, there was an urgent phone call I had to make, do pardon my rudeness please."

As if among friends he sat down as Rosalind prepared a plate for him (the gun was no longer tucked in her pants). "First, thank you all for coming and for assisting Sarah in her undertaking. I'm sure she is grateful, as am I. Let it be known that this is neutral territory, so while you are in my home I do ask that you leave any grievances you have, either me, my staff, or each other at the door. We are here to assist young Swara-Ann, let our problems be cast aside until such time as our task is completed, hmm?"

"Now, I'm sure you all have questions, and I'll try to answer them as best I can until our final guest arrives." He winked and smiled his appreciation to Rosalind as she poured him a glass of what the keen senses about the table picked up as pineapple juice. "Where to begin, hmm?" He bobbed his eyebrows up and down a few times and grinned the Devil's grin before taking what Amber would have referred to as 'dainty' sip of his beverage.

Ariel glanced at Amber to get a quick assessment of her mood. She couldn't help feeling a stab of impotent impatience. Sarah was in some kind of coma, Swara-Ann was living in agony...why couldn't they start NOW?! the beast within raged. But Ariel had had some experience keeping that side of herself shackled, and she gave Lucian the grateful smile he deserved.

"I'd like to start by thanking you for helping us help Swara like this. Not to imply you're the sort of person who wouldn't...but I also recognize this is dangerous stuff you're dealing with, and your only strong personal connection to all this is Sarah. So...thanks for choosing to go the extra mile. We'll make it up to you when and how we can."

She took a deep breath then got to business. "That said, I think we all need to put our cards on the table as far as what we know about what's happened with Swara-Ann." Ariel looked at No-Moss, then Lucian. "You two seem the best informed here. Lets all get on the same page."

"Well," Lucien began, folding his hands as his elbows rest on the table. "Swara is possessed by something, a spirit, a ghost, to be honest I'm not sure what, yet. Once our guest arrives he'll be able to clue us all in on the 'what' of the story. It's amazing she's lasted this long; the girl is a fighter, that's for sure."

"What I can say is that whatever it is it's crafty." He looked to the assembles werewolves. "It knows you can track in the spirit world an so has decided to slip into a realm where you would be hard pressed to follow. The Entity has latched onto Swara's soul through her dreams. The plan of action quite simple: we will be going to Swara's dreams to challenge the Entity head-on. Once there, we'll use magic to bind it to the dream world where it can not escape into the spirit world. After that..."

His gaze turned serious and his expression became something that border lined on malice and disgust, not for the 'pack' but for the Entity that wreaked havoc a kind woman's soul. "You do what you do."

Sarah stood in shame in the open air, the entire Topanga Pack before her. "You have failed, Dead Wolf. You have failed, and there is only one end that can come from this." They stalked in closer, murderous intent clear in eyes that reflected the half-face of Luna. For a moment, she though of escape; even with the chasm and ocean behind her, there was at least hope... until a single howl brought in unison by the twin Alpha robbed her of every bit of power in her stolen blood. They came, closer and closer, and Sarah knew that there truly could be only one end. She stepped back one more step, and stone fell away under her weight, casting her out into the black sky far about jagged rocks and crashing surf far below. A swift motion later, and her world spun, twisting…

…and reformed in a whirlwind, the trees and grasses passing by as her legs carried her with impossible speed - but not, she knew fast, enough. A glance over her shoulder showed the truth of the situation. Grandmother Wren was back there, closing the distance slowly but surely. So was the black shape of Dallas in his wolf-form, racing with undead silence across the landscape, glowing red eyes seeking out his prey. Amber was in the mix too, closing from the left flank even as Declan raced in from the right. The howls of Ariel and No Moss echoed from farther behind, cutting through the night. But in front of them all, a wolf that would have outmassed any grizzly closed on her. Every trick she could use, every power of the blood, every last bit of speed she could urge out of dead tissue fell just short of the mark, and she could feel the hot breath on her tail. Another look back froze her soul: the eyes of the beast, the eyes of this ravenous frenzied thing were the gentle, soft green orbs of long-lost Shane. When his jaws clamped around her neck, there was sadness in those eyes as he bit down hard, and she could almost here a whisper of something as she fell to dust: “I love you, Sarah….”

Moss shook his head, "All I know Ariel is that it is well out of my league. It was obviously possessing her, and I think it was helping her in the fight, which seems a bit unusual to me, but I bow to Lucien's greater experience. Or if not his, then his associates when they arrive."

"Nothing," Amber said from her lean against a wall. She was trying not to stare at Lucien despite being worth a stare or two; it had been way too long since she'd been laid. "She'll come out of it in her own time. It's, from what I've been told, a vampire thing. Not sure about how it works - just know that she's not dead-dead and she will recover on her own."

She finally glanced at the underwear model. "We'll be ready when it's time," she said, her eyes returning to Swara Ann.

A knock at the door was followed by it opening slowly a second later. Rosalind's stare caught the assembled packs attention and they could 'smell' the uneasiness the woman felt in their presence.

"Master Hunt," she said softly, not wanting to intrude. "Master Opinski is here."

"Show him in, please." Lucien replied.

The older man entered a moment later and he hardly carried the look of a scholar about him. He was in a black suit, much like the ones magicians of the used to wear back in the day with the ruffled undershirt and cuffs. The large top hat cradled in his arm was a sure give away that this guy wasn't up on the latest fashions. He appeared to be in his late sixties with white hair encircling his balding head that matched the bushy mustache that appeared well groomed. He seemed a bit over weight, but overall, for a man in his sixties, seemed quite energetic.

"Lucien my boy!" He smiled and vigorously shook the young millionaire's hand, his thick Russian accent filled the room. "So, ya got a lycan girl in need of a dream scape exorcism eh? Got some lycan muscle to elp' you out too? Fabulous!" He looked at the assembled. "So, which one is it?"

"All of them." Lucien replied.

"All?" Opinski's eyes darted about to the werewolves. "Yes, I should have sensed it." He politely nodded to each of them. "I beg your pardon, my name is Rudolfo Opinski. Forgive me, but... the power, the majesty... I've never before met one of the Great People, needless to say three at once." He swept into a polite bow. "I am honored to make your acquaintance. I shall humbly do all I can to assist your friend."

Amber's first thought was that they were being put on and mocked. After all, she was wearing a tank top and ratty jeans and flip flops, and she was dirty and splashed with dried gore from the fight. Still, it didn't do to piss off mages, no matter if they were being rude fucks. "Thank you, Mr. Opinski," Amber said politely. Theo would have been proud to see that all his attempts to teach her tact were finally blossoming. "I'm Amber, and I'm very glad you're here to help us today."

"Very kind of you to say Amber." The jovial old man's mustache seemed to move more than his lips did. "Now, we should get down to work, eh?"

Lucien introduced Opinski to Ariel and No-Moss and after a few polite handshakes the old man took a moment to look over Swara-Ann. "Hmm, yes. A dream scape exorcism might very well be the only way."

"Is it difficult?" Lucien asked.

"Bah! Nonsense my boy! Dreamscape exorsisms are a peice of cake, just like manipulating the very forces of nature! You want a challenge Lucien..." He tapped the young man in the chest. "Try the Siberian Rope & Ladder trick. Now that's difficult! Ha!"

From out of his coat he produced several old and weathered documents. "I know the spirit that possesses this child: Tipishkau-pishum."

"Tipishkau-pishum was like you once," he pointed to Ariel. "One of the People, wise and revered for his compassion and honor. He grew so powerful however that his flesh could barely contain his spirit any longer. He'd spend months at a time in the Shadow locked away from his tribe, pack, and loving wife. When he'd returned from the Shadow one evening, summoned by a wounded elder, he saw his home decimated and his lovely bride slain."

His finger traced around the edges of the pendant Swara-Ann wore, it seemed almost fused with her flesh. "He went mad with grief. Dedicating his remaining years to finding those responsible he sunk deeper and deeper as his lust for revenge became nothing more than murderous pleasure. In 1892 a cabal of Mages caught up with him, his body dissolved into nothing but spirit by now, and battled him in the spirit world. He was too powerful so they were forced to trap his essence in a pendant..." his fingers once again brushed the edges of the necklace. "The pendant that belonged to his bride."

"Strange tale... is it not?" The last thing he produced from his pocket was an old photograph of a lovely Native American woman, save for the darker hair, she and Swara-Ann could have been twins. "Curiouser and curiouser... hmm?"

"Yeah, it'd make a great Lifetime movie," Amber said before she could stop herself. Theodore clearly still had work to do with the cranky she-wolf. She realized she needed to smooth that over, so she added, "Very tragic. It's sad when love compels one to such hatred and destruction."

She moved closer with a graceful sway of her hips, leaning down to peer at the amulet. "Wonder how his wife would feel about him wrecking another woman's life like that. I can't see that she'd be pleased." She straightened and locked eyes with the mage. "So what can we expect when we get in there and start on this? Are we going to have to fight Tickpukow-pushy? And is that something we can reasonably accomplish, or are we looking at a possible suicide run here? Would just like to know what we can expect."

"I'm sure her heart would break again." His low mournful tone expressed his grief.

"What you will face, I can not be certain." His finger waved about for a moment. "But failure isn't an option, for the girl's sake. If you can destroy it, do so, if not and it flees, let it go lest your quest of righteousness lead down the same path it still treads. Lucien's magic is vital, hopefully he can trap the spirit in the dream world so that it can not flee to the spirit world. If this happens, you can destroy it. If not, then it will flee, but in doing so release it's curse upon this young woman's soul."

It was almost like he had known Amber her whole life as he gazed into her eyes. "Either way, you've won. Keep that in mind."

Moss bows his head to the elder mage, recognising a kindred spirit to the elder Bone Shadows who had taught him back in the UK.

"Master Opinski, I'm known as No Moss, or simply Moss, do we assume that you will be doing something with the pendant to help prevent this in the future?"

Ariel was absorbed in the story as she looked at Swara's pitiful state, and the amulet half-buried in her flesh. Even in her sorrow and anger though something plucked at the strings in her mind.

"So Swara Ann, who no one knew was a werewolf, just -happened- to buy or come across this particular amulet."

She looked up at Amber, then around at the others.

"Maybe I'm just paranoid, but this smells like a setup to me."

The werewolf cop addressed Opinski then.

"Would this amulet have been dangerous to anyone except another werewolf?"

Originally Posted By: No Moss
"Master Opinski, I'm known as No Moss, or simply Moss, do we assume that you will be doing something with the pendant to help prevent this in the future?"

"Bah!" Opinski's face scrunched together as he waved his hand at the young man. "No need for 'master this' and 'master that' boy! Mister is quite all right. I'm not here to teach you the ways of levitating rocks or whatever it is you kids are doing these days..."

Originally Posted By: Ariel
"Would this amulet have been dangerous to anyone except another werewolf?"

The elder mage decided to field both Ariel's and No Moss's questions concerning the pendant at once. "Honestly," He looked to Ariel. "I can not say. I've never set eyes upon the pendant until now, took me forever just to locate information on the legend of the spirit. Blasted 'internwebs', I tell you this 'e-mail' is just making us lazier! I remember when I wanted information from the chantries in London I swam there myself to get it! Rest assured though young lady that we'll most certainly consider it a very dangerous item until we know for certain."

Originally Posted By: SalmonMax
"So Swara Ann, who no one knew was a werewolf, just -happened- to buy or come across this particular amulet."

Lucien hid his smirk well as Opinksi spoke. Ariel was sexy and intelligent, two things Lucien liked in his women. So why was it all of his current options, including the woman he was currently dating were all ravenous death machines in some way, shape, or form?

"Perhaps where shot aquired the pendant is something we can look into once we save her, yes?" He gave Ariel a look that could have induced orgasm in average women. It was a certain ray of sunshine though, these women he surrounded himself by, none were close to average and it was refreshing to not have them fawning over him every time he opened his mouth to speak... although he was pretty sure Amber was undressing him with her eyes. "We'll ask her personally, but let us handle one mystery at a time, eh Velma?"

He smirked and winked at Ariel.

"I'll start the preparations." Lucien turned and went to the back portion of the room where all manner of things had been brought down. "Ros, wanna give me a hand, please?"

She smiled and nodded and the two began preparing the evening's enchantment.

Moss gave a brief laugh at Opinski's quip about swimming to London for a book, "Delivering a book to one of your fellow mages is what brought me to the US in the first place Mr Opinski. Those that taught me, and those for whom I was asked to do that favour obviously were of the same opinion as yourself. Although I'm happy enough with their choice, it gave me an excuse to travel and gather what nuggets of knowledge and wisdom I could along the way."

Amber sighed. "Look, I love old-town week as much as anyone else," the she-werewolf growled, "but let's get this going. I want to get this fucker out of Swara Ann and get my claws into him. So let's save the chit-chat, no offense, for after." She gave a sudden, toothy grin. "Assuming that we're all up to small talk later, eh?"

More fighty, less talky was truly the Rahu motto.

The People watched as the mages did their thing. Rosalind helped as best she could, constantly bringing to them the various implements they'd need to complete the preparations for the magical ritual that would cast them all into the realm of dreams.

None of them were very thrilled, Lucien included, when Opinski presented them with a tranquilizer cocktail that would send them into a deep sleep but one look at the suffering woman in the center of Atlantean glyphs and sigils was enough to steel their resolve as they all lay down on soft pallets.

Within moment the world grew hazy and the chamber spun in odd directions. Like a strange painting that had was suddenly doused in paint remover their comfortable and solid world seemed to melt away in a greyish blur...

A bitter chill greeted them as the cold Iowa night began to tingle their senses. The sky was black and speckled with stars that seemed to lack their twinkle. The moon was a dull grey and nothing more than a stone in the sky with not a single glimmer of light to it all. It pained the People to see their goddess so powerless here.

As they stood up survey their surroundings the realized that there was no color at all, just a dead monochromatic world. Acres of corn went on in all directions as far as the eye could see as the party stood collected their senses on a gray dirt road that seemed to go off in either direction forever.

This was Swara-Ann's mind. A colorless, lifeless place of darkness and decay...

Click to reveal..
Welcome to the dream world, leave your sanity at the door.

While here there is no link to 'blood' or 'essence', why? Because none of you are real, this is a dream in which your consciously aware of. As a result you are free to use your powers and abilities with no repercussions. Werewolves may remain in Garou from without fear of rage, and are not limited by how long they can remain in that shape. They are still heavy, and they are still huge and physics still apply.

You are limited in one way: you can not perform any action that would cause you exceed your normal capabilities in terms of essence, mana, or blood expenditure. So if you are limited to 1 Essence/Turn you could regenerate a lethal health level (costing one Essence) but you could not power a gift afterward if that gift had an Essence cost (since that would cause you exceed your Essence/Turn).

Aside from that, go nuts. Find this bastard and make him pay.

The atmosphere rippled slightly as Lucien's hand pushed upon the fabric of Swara-Ann's 'reality' and a moment later, like leading someone through a vertical pool of water that floated in the air Sarah O'Neally stepped through to join them, grasping the hand of her lover.

"Hello my love," He grinned as she looked about completely bewildered. "Care to join us for a little dream walking? We're going hunting."

Sarah - weary and torn from her latest destruction at the hands of a familiar face - looked around, waiting for the inevitable attack and more than a bit confused when it failed to manifest.

"You're the first thing that hasn't attacked me in the past... however fucking long I've been here. Even though you blasted me to ashes with some sort of sun-ray thing about six deaths ago." A hint of anger crossed her face, and those delicate, deadly fangs showed themselves. But as the assembled crew failed to suddenly break out stakes or flaming brands or come at her with massive claws, she realized that for once - and at long last - her torpor might be taking a turn for the better.

"A hunt, you say?" She pondered, then gave a wicked grin and a nod. "Count me in, hon."

"Hmm, I assure you it wasn't me, me." He was a touch saddened by the thought of the nightmares she was going through in her tormented state. "Sarah, I've torn you from your mind, from your dreams. While we may be in a dream, this is all real, each of us, Ariel, Amber, No-Moss, Me. We're all here in Swara-Ann's mind and treading through her dreams to find the spirit that is corrupting her soul."

He looked to everyone else. "I don't think I need to say it, but here goes: we die here, we die for real. Well, brain death anyway. If we fail, we never wake up and our bodies will lie in a coma until the day we die, so lets watch each others backs, hm?"

"So, it's a fight, and if we die, we die. An' this is different from the really-real world how?" Sarah quirked a look to her former cousin. "I think Amber'll tell ya' that fear of death hasn't exactly stopped us before. Every night has that risk, every fight. No different now, and the cause is a good one."

"I'm with Lucien on this one," Ariel says. "Risking our life is one thing. Losing it is another. Everyone stick together...eyes and ears open, and since this is a dream..." she shook her head ruefully, "...I figure we should expect the unexpected."

"Wolves, go to near-wolf," Amber said, preparing for her own change. "Triangle around the soft center, look for a sign of the Tittyrumpy beast before it sees us. Lucien, you'll have to communicate between us, you and Sarah when we're in new forms. I know it's a pain, but they're the best combo of speed, strength and senses. And we can understand you, regardless."

Her body shivered and shuddered and collapsed onto all fours before swelling and covering with fur. The clothes shrank away and disappeared, and a pale gray wolf as big as a pony shook out its coat before loping to take one corner, her nose twitching and scenting the dream-air.

Archived