World of Darkness: The Academy - [Open Fic] Summer at Dalton [complete]

Ryan Jackson

This fic is open to any of the students who stay year round at Dalton and takes place two weeks prior to the game start

Ryan ran across the central quad and took a leap, his fingers grabbed the twisted edges of the sculpture and he used the purchase he had to alter him momentum. His feet, sneaker clad, squeaked on the steel surface as he forced himself upward. Somehow he made it look easy, almost as if there were ready made handholds and footsteps. In less than a minute he was stating atop the massive hollow steel globe that sat in the middle of the quad. He blew on his fingers absently to cool them from the sun heated steel's touch as he looked at the campus that was laid out around him. The quad was really more round nowadays but when the school had first been built it had been squared off by the first buildings. Later structures were added at off angles until the globe had become the axis of the campus with the buildings and walkways radiating outward from it as though by design.

"I suppose it is by design," Ryan said to himself as he pulled the small camera from his pocket and the mono-pod from its sheath on his leg. As he screwed the camera onto the ball mount he wished that he could get a better vantage point from the center of campus. He shrugged, he'd scale the nearby radio tower later if nobody caught him but he wanted a specific shot and this was the only place to get it from. A shame that twenty odd feet up was wholly inadequate to capture the double arcs of buildings that formed the campus.

He extended the mono-pod to it full length of six feet and set the pole's foot down on the sculpture. He double checked all his angles, including the bubble levels on the camera mount. Everything looked good. The sun was almost directly overhead and there was no clouds to ruin the lighting. Ryan started to snap photos, rotating the camera ever so slightly between each. He intended to crop them all together and create a full panorama of the campus from atop the globe sculpture. "Nobody make any obscene gestures people," he said to the other students on the quad. Not that they could hear him. "I rather suspect they won't let me do this twice. Or once if I can't finish quickly enough."

Beneath him, Thomas merely stopped and stared. While it looked dangerous and probably was, no one seemed overly concerned about this man's fate. Since Thomas wasn't a teacher here, yet ... officially, he felt allowed to merely stop and look up.

His two suitcases felt heavy in his hands so he put them down. His laptop on his shoulder was a burden as well, but he knew better than to put one down on foreign soil, so to speak. He would like it to be there when he needed it. Even though Dalton's would provide him with a work computer, he had kept his own, for his own private journals and e-mails.

The boy was setting up a camera. Maybe this was a project for some summer class ... which should have ended a week ago. No matter, he'd ask him what the deal was when he came down.

Sean stopped as he reached the central quad, trying to get his bearings. This is far different than public school, lot more buildings, a lot less students. And now... my home. With a shrug, he hitched up his overstuffed backpack, then swung a heavy sportsbag over his right shoulder with little effort. Looking at the campus map in his left hand, he located the steel sculpture, and guessed the structure a ways ahead, blinding with reflected sunlight -- Wished I hadn't left my sunglasses in the Jeep -- must be it. Figuring it would be easier orienting himself from a central location, he headed that way.

Sean strode towards the sculpture with the easy grace of an athlete, his tight, sleeveless, maple-leaf marked shirt and black shorts showcasing a powerful, well-defined physique. There was an easy smile on his face, and he nodded in greeting to anyone looking his way, the smile widening for any pretty girl he saw. A lot of girls here, a lot of pretty girls. Maybe it won't be so bad.

When he got to the central structure, he noticed a guy on the other side, too old to be student (he hoped). Guy looks like an actor or musician. He walked around the steel monstrosity, transfering his sportsbag to his left hand.

"Hiya, sir, I'm Sean. Sean Cassidy," he said, sticking out his right hand. "I'm new here. This place has a helluva lot more buildings than my last school, and I'm trying to find my way to the dorms. D'you think you can point me in the direction of Mars House?"

Sean never noticed the gangly student perching on the steel structure.

"Sir?" Thomas said, arching an eyebrow as he turned to see the very handsome young man opposite him.

Damn, he's well-built.

"Well Sean, I'm Thomas Burke, Science Teacher and I'm new here too. Mars is over there," he points across the quad, "if memory serves me correctly," and it always did. "Canadian, or just a Maple Leaf fan?"

"I'm Patron of Lancaster Dorm. If you help in your studies, my doors always open - always being between classes from 7:30am til 5:30pm," he grins. "What brings you here?"

Fresh from the stables, with her long blond plait in disarray and the faint rose of exhilaration blooming on her cheeks, Lorelei hummed quietly to herself as she strode across the plaza. The rhythmic sound of her riding boots striking the pavement was clearly audible in the relative quiet, and a pair of soft leather gloves swung loosely in one slender hand.

She paused at the sight of the youngish man with a pair of suitcases, wondering briefly if he was one of the senior students. He seemed a trifle out of place, and she altered her course accordingly.

"Excuse me," she said, approaching Thomas from behind, and just catching sight of the other larger, more athletic form obscured by his body. "Are you lost? Classes don't begin for..."

The girl's mellifluous voice trailed off as she suddenly realized that Thomas was staring fixedly at something overhead, and lifted her own gaze to seek out the source of his fascination.

Someone was on top of the sculpture! Narrowing her eyes slightly as she moved closer, she realized that, whoever it was, they were slowly panning a camera around.

"What in the world are they doing?" she wondered aloud, glancing downward again and realizing, with a start, that she now had an unobstructed view of both men. The healthy pink of her cheeks deepened further; either of them could easily have been television stars or media darlings.

It was, she thought as she tried not to stare, going to be a very interesting year.

"Well Va... er my mother thought that boarding school would do me some good. She's just down a ways in Denver, so when I sent out applications, Dalton was the first to reply, giving me a scholarship for football."

"Yah, I'm Canadian, but I have US citizenship too. I spend summers with my Mom here. And the Maple Leafs!? Are you kid--" Sean was stopped from continueing by the sound of a musical voice.

Peering pass Mr. Burke, he saw beautiful blue eyes widen, looking up. Whipping his head around to follow her gaze, Sean finally noticed the student standing on top of the steel sphere. "Holy fu..uudge, there's someone up the--" Sean's gaze whipped back to the girl, his mind finally registering more than just pretty blue eyes.

Well now, boarding school seems to be getting better and better. With an appreciative once-over of the stunning elfin girl, he focused his stormy grey-blue eyes on her azure ones, his grin growing warmer.

"Hi there! I'm Sean Cassidy, and you just made boarding school worth going to."

Ryan was steadily working through his array; three photos high and, if all went according to plan, approximately thirty wide. The little camera was the most advanced model of its size that Ryan had been able to purchase. He was perhaps fifteen photos in when he heard voices coming up from below. He couldn't spare a look for more than a brief second but he saw a few students, a couple of guys and a rather attractive girl who looked vaguely familiar. "Hey down there, if you'd like to be in the photo you'll have to move back some." He continued his work; photo, adjust, check, repeat. "I'm not sure how long this'll take mind you, I've only just started. Oh, and could you do me a solid and warn me if you see any of the staff coming?"

Lorelei could feel her face getting warmer. Not only was the dark-haired young man good-looking, he was apparently also unabashedly flirtatious. With a pleased, but slightly nervous smile, she ducked her head and murmured something that sounded like, "Thank you." Coquettishly, she glanced up at him through her lashes as she fidgeted with her gloves.

She knew she must seem like quite the flirt, herself, right then, but was completely at a loss as to what she could do about it. Fortunately, the young man perched atop the sculpture pre-empted her saying anything embarrassing, and she uttered a silent prayer of gratitude to the gods of maidenly virtue.

"Oh, er, I don't want to be in the photo..." she began, before a vague memory demanded her attention. A boy on a sculpture, taking pictures...

"Wait! Aren't you the one who was caught taking photos of last year's first basketball game? From the rafters?"

Ryan laughed, "Guilty as charged. Headmaster wasn't thrilled about that one." He paused and snapped another photo, then moved the frame and readied the next shot. "Funny thing though, in the end he hung a print of the tip off in his office. Couldn't have been that mad I guess. Name's Ryan, but if you don't mind I'll catch your names in a few, I may not get another opportunity like this one."

Sean looked up at the guy. Ryan, Ryan, why does he seem familiar? He knew he never met this guy, but still... He tossed down his sportsbag, and shrugged out of his backpack.

"Hey sure, I'll be in a photo. How about you Mr. B? And it wouldn't be complete without you Ms...?" Sean was being flirtatious, but it was in a friendly manner. He just seemed exuberant... maybe too much so.

"Hey Damn! Didn't you win gold in the X-games last year? The half-pipe? Ryan Jetson?"

The summer's end was drawing near. He chose to spend it at the Academy, preparing for the next school year. He'd been voted in as Student Council Vice President, and took his job seriously. He noticed the gathering of students and others in the quad as he enjoyed a quiet walk about the Campus.

He wore a light grey shirt with khaki shorts and leather sandals and flashed his winning smile to the assembled students an upon closer inspection what he could only assume were new teachers.

"Hey everyone, how's it going? He nodded to Mr. Burke, his own Dorm's Patron.

"Hey mr. Burke."

He looks up and sees the student on the statue with the camera, and almost yells for him to get down, but figured it was more of the teacher's job to do that. Besides, none of them were "on the Clock" yet.

"Ryan, what should we do if a Staffer shows up? I kind of need to know."

The girl was cute. She kind of reminded him of his the girlfriend from his junior year in high school ... except she had been a kid ... like this one. Enough of thinking about that.

"Hello ... insert name - I'm Thomas Burke. Its my pleasure to meet you."

This game could go on a little longer and he didn't see why not. All it would take was the appearence of a real staffer to get him and Ryan in a bit of hot water.

Then the latest top flight canidate strode into view. He looked down at his watch.

"By my clock I'm still Thomas. I havent' even started here yet and already I'm 'Mr. Burke'."

"Jackson," he corrected, "And yeah that was me." He smiled again, an easy smile from a confident young man. "A warning will suffice, I'll be down in a jiff and off like a flash. Got to say though I really hope I can finish this, if not I'll have to start over again next time I get up here."

He saw the newcomer arrive, "Hey Zack, don't rat me out please, ok?"

"I, like Thomas here.." he smiles to Thomas, "..Am also not on the clock right now."

He smiles. He'd never narc'ed on anyone, unless they refused to take responsibility at all. Then he did his job and only in the formal attire of the school's uniform. As it was, he was envious of Ryan's ability to climb the statue and maintain his handhold so easily.

Ryan took a quick look at the older man, "Aw shit, you're faculty?" Ryan scowled, but oddly he continued to take his photos, adjust the camera angle and take more photos. He was now past halfway done and more than determined to finish regardless.

"You finish what you are doing and we'll see what's going on. As far as I can tell this is some yearbook project."

He looks to the assembled students,

"That sound okay to you?"

From the teacher's standpoint, the man was risking some bodily harm, but the danger began and ended with him and a little taste of freedom was not without it's price tag.

"A little taste of freedom," he murmurs.

Then,

" Sean here," gesturing to Sean Cassidy, "and I are looking for people to help us move in. Any able hands for Mars and Lancaster?"

He doesn't stop looking up as he speaks. If the boy falls, someone (meaning him) is going to have to get in the way. That's going to suck big-time.

Jason was just leaving the Admin building with a ladder over his shoulder in order to wash the windows of the Mars building when he caught the glint of sunlight off a lens. Repressing the impulse to dive back into the building for cover Jason continued into the 'quad' to see what was going on. His first guess as to the culprit was correct judging by the conversation he overheard as he approached.

"Jackson," he shouts as he reaches the sphere, "What are you up to this time?"

Spotting the adult with the luggage he puts his bucket down, and after wiping his hand on his jeans, offers his hand to the man. "Jason Beckett. I'm one of the maintenance staff, as I'm sure you could have guessed. Welcome to the Dalton Academy Mr Burke, if you hang on a minute I'll give you a hand with those bags."

Dressed in a pair of khaki pants and a horizontally striped polo, Brad had just arrived back from lunch in town, he had a Burger King drink cup in hand as he approached the quad, noticing the gawking stares at Ryan up on the Globe.

"Mr. Jackson, dude, I hope your ass is almost done, would hate to be handing out demerits so early." The real Mr. B yelled up at the boy.

"You mean this isn't for the yearbook?" he says, the question loud in his voice.

"Yeah, I could use some help moving in. I've still got a couple of bags and stuff over in my Jeep, at the student parking lot. I'm Mars bound. A tour around campus would be nice too, my map seems to have gotten crumpled."

Sean cocked a brow at Thomas. Is he concerned that Ryan will fall? Anyone who can shred powder like that will be fine, even if he does fall.

Seeing the solid looking man heading their way, Sean was moving to intercept. "Hey dude--" Sean stopped as another guy showed up. That guy is faculty? Must be one of the football coaches.

"Nothing but trouble Jason, I promise ..." Ryan trailed off as Mr. Bracks approached, "Crap. Hi, Mr. B. I'm getting there, just need to finish the last row now." Ryan focused on the task at hand knowing that even with Jason's ladder nobody was going to come up and physically remove him. Trouble was found and there was little point in trying to escape it now, he'd either talk his way out of it or he'd not. Half the thrill was the risk of getting caught anyways.

"Mr. Beckett," Thomas says, shaking hands. "Thanks for the offer. Is this really an offense?"

His answer gets pre-empted by another older man's arrival. He sizes up the newcomer, but can't seem to place his role here in the academy. What role does he have here?

Turning to face the new man, keeping Beckett at his three o'clock, he offers his hand.

"Thomas Burke - new sciences teacher, Mr.?"

"I'll help those moving into Lancaster." He looked back at Mr. Bracks and nodded.

Crap, one of the regular teachers. Still what's done is done.

"Enjoy your Lunch?"

He nodded politely to Jason the Janitor, Zack was on good terms with all the staffers, they after all kept things running smooth behind the scenes. "Good afternoon."

With a nod and a smile Jason addresses the recently arrived teacher, "Afternoon Mr Bracks, perhaps when he's finished Jackson would like to give the old Sphere a clean. He can borrow my ladder, while I give these gentlemen a hand getting settled?"

"Mr. Bracks, or Brad to the faculty." He said taking the offered hand and shaking it. "Nice to meet the new Bill Nye."

He turned to Zack, "Of course, don't I always?" he said, glancing down at his obvious gut.

"Jason, that sounds simply divine...you getthat Mr. Jackson?" he said, raising his voice so that Ryan could hear.

Ryan frowned, "Come on Mr. Bracks, nobody's getting hurt by it!" The man's return look was less than pleasant. "Fine, whatever, I can deal with the tyranny for one more year I guess, not much choice anyways." Ryan continued to take photos working to finish the array before the sun changed too much.

The beautiful summer sun shown down on Deek as his pair of Snuffleupagus slippers marched along the campus. Adorned in a open, faded red paisley robe, black and white checkered boxers and a faded olive t-shirt that depicted Oscar the Grouch and beneath him it read 'The Original O.G.'.

He stopped, casually manage to stroll through the commotion with barely a single soul noticing him. He held his hand to his brow to block out the sun as he looked up at Ryan.

"Talk about a cry for attention." He said, now standing directly next to Mr. Bracks.

"I'll help you clean-up Ryan, if you show me some moves on the snowboard this winter. We probably distracted you some, otherwise you have been done before the prof showed up," Sean offered, already forgetting that Thomas was a prof too.

Even thought he had lived in Whistler for most of his life, the last few years, his snowboarding skills had atrophied due to focusing on football and boxing. It would be nice to get those skills back, and from an X-game gold medalist no less.

Sean looked askance at the new boy who had somehow ninja'ed his way to the center of group, dressed in his pajamas. More alarming was the reaction, or lack there of, he was generating from the other students, the ones who seemed to have been here for a while. Who's this guy?

"I can spend some time here ... ummm ... getting to know the students," he says looking form Sean to Lorelei then over to Zack. Its a beautiful day and the luggage isn't going anywhere. It gives a whole new meaning to the term 'Performance Art'."

"Anyone else want to pitch in?"

It was probably partially his fault that the Ryan-kid had gotten pinched. Maybe a bit of time with these kids would go some way to forming that bond that teachers needed to get their real message across - to help them learn. First day at school, he could do worse.

Jason just smiles and shakes his head, trust Ryan to fall on his feet and get others to help him out. "I'll take you bags up Mr Burke, then get suitable materials for all you joining Jackson here."

With that he takes the bags and returns in a couple of minutes.

Ryan outright ignored Deacon, he just wasn't worth replying to. At the offer from the other to help Ryan shakes his head, "I certainly appreciate the offer but I can clean up my own mess, literal or figurative. Honestly its ok, not like I don't go through this a couple times a quarter. Thanks for the offers though." Ryan completes his photos and does a quick review of everything before starting to put his equipment away.

If she hadn't been at a loss with the rock-star handsome young teacher and the model-good looks of the athletic student next to him, Lorelei quickly found herself in the uncomfortable position of being the lone girl adrift in a growing sea of testosterone.

And authority figures, she reminded herself, summoning up the wherewithal to murmur polite greetings to the arriving members of staff and faculty, as well as the strikingly attractive student council vice-president. She looked a little lost herself, now, dressed in fitted riding attire and boots, and still fidgeting with her gloves.

Her eyes widened slightly at Deacon's arrival, and she took an involuntary step back, as if something on his person or in the vicinity was about to explode at any moment; one never knew with the infamous prankster.

"Well," she started quietly, even the quavering of her voice a faintly musical trill. "You gentlemen seem to have things well in hand. I should go and freshen up a bit, but if anyone needs help..."

"If you are sure Ryan ..."

He looks around, seeing that Jason has already taken his gathered bags for him.

The lone woman leaving catches his attention.

"Nice meeting you, Miss."

"Well guys I need to get the rest of my stuff. Any help will be appreciated. I've got to move into my office and room and only two weeks to get it all done. I'm getting the feeling the virtual tour didn't do this place justice."

Micah climbs out of the taxi he took to arrive at the campus' familiar confines, and hurries to the trunk to take out his suitcases. He reaches in and hefts the large suitcases with a grunt and some strain. Micah then hands the cabbie payment and a decent tip. He carries the suitcases towards Mars dorm, but on the way sees the crowd gathered to watch someone on top of the globe. As the person climbs down, he realizes who it is, and smiles. He moves to the outside of the crowd and scans the faces around the globe. Micah nods to Mr Bracks, Deek, and Lorelei. He moves over next to Lorelei, "Ms. Wagner, Good to see you again. You okay?"

"Hmm? Oh! Micah," she smiled, turning toward the man who literally towered over her. Lorelei's voice warmed immediately, and she nodded. "I'm all right, just a little tired, perhaps. It's good to see you on campus so early."

At the sight of a familiar face, her skittishness faded somewhat. His reputation had always been a positive one, particularly when it came to ending the popular practice of "hazing" the newer players.

"Are you on the starting lineup again this year?" she asked politely, attempting to sound as nonchalant as possible with the unfamiliar terminology.

"Well, all this is exciting," Deek said as he looked about. "I'm on a mission though. I planted birdseed and a bird popped up. Now I have no idea what to feed it."

He slaps Micah on the arm as the huge man approached Lorelei. His thought temporarily distracted from his Mission of Mercy for his chia bird. "Hey Micah, great games coming up, hope to see you there. After parties. Call me."

"Nice to see you ladies, always a pleasure." He said to Lorelei, although his eyes never rose above her breasts.

Rachel Morning closes the door to her suite in Juno and looks at all of her worldly possessions.

Apart from clothing and a backpack full of necessities, she has only a single wine box of books from college to go on her shelf, and the books she had brought to read on the bus, Waiting for the Barbarians and A Passage to India. She has a game console and a computer, and a big screen and speaker system that they share, and a notebook, and that is almost all.

She'd sold her car to a college friend, and planned to buy a new one at Dalton. At this rate, though, where would she have to go?

Suddenly lonely, Rachel takes a second to open her door again before she returns to putting her computer together.

Sean watched the newcomer join the gathering at the steel sculpture. After hearing the beautiful angel and pajama-boy greet the towering young man, he realized he must be on the football team.

"Hiya! Micah is it?" Sean walked over with an engaging smile, sticking out his hand. "I'm Sean Cassidy, and I'm here for football too."

Originally Posted By: Thomas Burke
"If you are sure Ryan ..."

"I'm sure. I wouldn't be much of a Traceur if I couldn't get myself out of the situations I got myself into." Ryan slipped the camera into the slim pocket for it at his hip and collapsed the mono-pod down. He crouched and stuck the baton sized object back into the lower leg sheath and called down to Jason, "Hey, I'm already up here, why don't you pass me the mop or whatever."

Zack noted Micah's arrival and smiled. He'd cheered for him when watching the football team play the last two years, much as had everyone else from Dalton.

Hey Micah, ready for another year?"

He looks to Thomas and nods. "Whenever you're ready to go."

"Let's roll. Seems I have three hundred names and faces to memorize and only two weeks to do it ... and coming up for air besides that."

He moves his slight frame around and heads back to his car, were more clothes and books await ... and lots of CD's and DVD's.

"Thanks for the help Zack. I appreciate it."

Archived