Mutants & Masterminds: Harmony City - Blue Team: Squash

Dawn OOC

Primax looks at the mutants for a few seconds then makes up his mind.

"Omega, Brightstar, if either of you can carry one, I'll carry the other four as we go back to get Vixen ... or someone else who can figure out this mess."

He proceeds to start piling them up on his massive shoulders one, two, three, and finally four.

"I'm ready to go now."

Omega shrugs and lifts the two blobs up and begins to head back toward the base. "This seems to be of undeniably questionable intelligence. We do not know the nature of these creatures, or their regenerative capacity. Would it not make more sense to bring Ms. Vixen here where we can contain them with minimal further interaction with the city and citizenry?"

"Don't ask me, Metal Man. I just make this shit up."

As they began pulling away from the sand and surf,

"Omega, I'm a Public Relations major. We aren't renowned for our clinical thinking. If you have a good idea, you got to step up. You know - make your voice heard. Won't hurt my feelings none."

Brightstar nods. "Omega it ma not be the best course of action but we have facilities at Headquarters that we can contain them in until we can find out more about them, not to mention access to the rest of the team's expertise."

"If we left them there they could revive and begin attacking again."

After hearing knocking at the door, Vixen grunted. "I'm coming, I'm coming. Keep your pants on." Vixen opens the door to her laboratory, wearing goggles and a lab coat over her furry form. "Now what's - "

She stares, for long moments, at the blobs the team was carrying. "Uh. Oh my. Okay. Uh. What are those?"

"My... transformation abilities."

Vixen looked to Brightstar and then to the blobs. My transformation abilities. "You're saying these used to be people? I don't know... I mean... we should study them first. I might make things worse for them. Are they in any danger? Are they dangerous?" She sniffed at them, wondering if that strange 'magic' scent - she hated the word, but nothing else fit - was attached to them.

Kallen does hat she can to help, though the heavy lifting is best left to Primax or Omega. She caught the bitter tone of Vixen's comment, but would bring it up later, now they needed to help these people if indeed that's what they were.

"Thanks for helping Vixen. I'm sure when it's over these people will thank you too."

Vixen paused, holding the instrument steady. She sighed. Even if it's just temporary... it might help the patient. I can undo it at any time. If the patient can speak we can help the patient more easily.

"All right. I'll try something else first. Human woman." Vixen's hand glows, tiny runic characters floating around it, as she attempts to transform the blob...

Vixen sighs. "Knew it wouldn't work. Okay. I'm going to take a very, very, very small sample as painlessly as I can, and then analyze it." Vixen snaps her fingers and gloves appear on her hands. She reaches for the needle with intent to use it.

The biopsy goes smoothly, as the patient is still unconscious, or maybe just too sore to move. It was hard to tell without eyes or even the ability to find a pulse, but Vixen is able to withdraw a blobby mass of green something.

Grimly, trying not to think about the various nasty things the sample looked like, Vixen started her tests.

Click to reveal..
Vix, please let me know what kind of tests she plans to do. No need for details, but I'd like to know what she's looking for.

The tests take some time, but Vixen is able to determine that there are elements of human DNA in the creatures. There are also gene markers that indicate that the subject's genetic makeup has been altered recently. Primax heard correctly; these creatures used to be human.

"They're human, all right..." Roxanne sighed, looking tired. "I haven't got a clue what happened to them. I need to talk to the subject..."

She stood up, setting her jaw. Maybe it'll work this time, now that I know what they used to be. Magic could be like this. "Hold the subject still, please. Human woman."

Roxanne twisted her fingers in strange gestures as she approached the creature.

Click to reveal..
The save DC is 19; Roxanne's to-hit is +8. She's asking them to hold the subject still do it doesn't squirm out of the way of the spell.

• 2 weeks later...

The blob shivered again and was suddenly an attractive teenage girl. Her hair was a dark blond color, and her eyes a lovely blue. She was athletic in build. But what was more noticable was that Brightstar and Primax were still holding her down, which was suddenly an issue because she was naked.

"Oh, ah... my head," she moaned. Her eyes snapped open and she looked down at herself, her eyes going wide. "Holy fuck, I have tits?! What the fuck?! And where's my cock?!" The last was said with a tremor of terror and a high note of sheer panic.

Click to reveal..
Ocean Bog's Fortitude Save: 12 FAILS

"It worked! Ah! Wait, you're supposed to be a guy? Uh. Hold on, hold on. Whatever you do, don't fight this spell. Human male."

Vixen's hand glows green. When the glow fades, she hands the man her lab coat. "Try to relax. I don't know what you normally looked like and... well, I had a fifty-fifty chance of being right and I guess I got it wrong. Now, do you remember what happened to you at all?"

• 1 month later...

"I, um... there was a party, and then I saw something in the water..." The kid frowned, searching his memory. "Umm, I remember something grabbing me. It hurt." He stared intently, but shook his head after a moment. "No, I don't know, I don't have anything else."

"Where'd it grab you?" Vixen asked.

The kid pointed to his leg, then did a double take at the round, green scar there. "What the fuck is that?!"

"Tyler. Are you going to stab me with that?" he asked as she got her needle.

"This is how you do a biopsy," Vixen said.

"I uh... don't like blood," the kid admitted sheepishly. He looked like a jock; strong body with youthful muscle tone.

"Do you want to go back to being an amorphous blob or not? Sometimes we have to do things we don't like to make sure worse things don't happen."

Kallen, alond with Primax held him in place, though her touch was largely for show. Primax was doing most of the work.

"Just hold still and it will be over fast. With any luck it will tell us how this happened."

• 3 months later...

Tyler managed to get through the biopsy with a minimum of fuss and only one near spill, thanks to Kallen and Primax holding him down. It wasn't a good idea to make their efforts go to waste, was it?

Soon, Vixen got to work on studying the sample, while Tyler chilled with Brightstar and Primax.

[Vixen: make two rolls, both Knowledge (Biology) at DC 20. Based on the result, I'll explain what you find out.]

The tests indicated that when the cells of the microorganism originally entered into Tyler's body, it absorbed and mutated the natural human body's cells in a chain reaction turning him into the ugly sea plant monster previously encountered.

In addition, there was something strange about the microorganism, but Vixen could not place what it was.

[Vixen can try to identify what's wrong if she decides so. She gets one more DC 20 check with Knowledge (Biology)]

Vixen relays this information to everyone else.

"So this was either intentional or an accidental application of an intentional creation. Either way, it came from somewhere - some lab with enough resources to create and clone something like this. Probably'll leave a paper trail, won't it? I hope, anyway."

• 2 weeks later...

Archived